Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, its a race, its not a fat guy race its not a skinny guy race its a race plain and simple. If you wanna see how you did against the other big fellas set up a BBQ at the finish line, that way you can lure all your "clydesdale" buddies in and find out what there splits were.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [ohiost90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
- "fake" clydes. the guys/gals who fill their pockets with lead before weight in. Again, why do AGs care about these people. Only those effected by them, the clydes, should give a rats ass about them.
Does anyone give a rats ass about them? I don't race as a Clyde, and I don't care. But I've never seen a Clyde or anyone else call out the guys who look smaller than me (185 pounds) who are racing as Clydes.
Sure is a lot of dicussion for anyone "not caring".
Gosh, I didn't think three sentences was "a lot".

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Clydesdale racing ... (snip) ... is about a bunch of out of shape guys giving each other awards...

See, Slowtwitch is full of great nuggets, you just have to look hard enough. :>
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Kensho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaa I your faster then me too

Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Dubsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Seriously, its a race, its not a fat guy race its not a skinny guy race its a race plain and simple. If you wanna see how you did against the other big fellas set up a BBQ at the finish line, that way you can lure all your "clydesdale" buddies in and find out what there splits were.
First, I'm not a "big fella." Second since it's a "race" then we should just get rid of the age groups too? I have difficulty following your logic, if there is some.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Dubsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Seriously, its a race, its not a fat guy race its not a skinny guy race its a race plain and simple. ...
Oh the innocence of youth...It's never plain and simple, especially on Slowtwich.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [NorthShore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have spent most of my adult life working with female athletes. Only a very small percentage of women in world are over 6 feet, but as a basketball coach, I had teams with 7 of 12 athletes were between 6' and 6'7. Surprise many weighed 185 and up.

The point is that within a sport many start to believe that athletes must be their sports standard to be considered an athlete. You get used to the type of people you spend time with every day. Triathletes still seem incredibly tiny to me. Guys can weigh 135 - 145 as an adult, really?

I will miss the clydes for the friends and rivals I made racing against them.

I will just have to take comfort in the times on the IM course where people assume I am on the first lap of the run and get pissed off that I am running by them on my way to the finish. Still a lot of people to catch, 13:33 at 275lb IMCDA 2008, but that is the fun of it. 12:00 IMC 09 here I come.
And those 6' - 6'7" women 185 and up probably weren't needing to "put the fork down" either.

This thread has been an eye opener for me.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm closing in on being bald, and my grandfather lived in Germany for 3 years in the 20's....do I get to compete in the Herbert Bald German category? If not, I am wearing a backpack with 50 lbs of weight for the weigh in and racing in the now defunct category formerly referred to as Clydesdale, but today going with a symbol that Prince once used, but has now abandoned!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Personally, I only care about the overall - even though I never win.]
Same here!

Fred.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jacobbunner [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: jacobbunner: Dec 9, 08 20:24
Post deleted by jacobbunner [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [jacobbunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's about arrogance. If you don't like Clydes, leave us alone, let us have our division, and we wont kick your scrawny asses.
what don't you start your own meathead/fat ass series ya internet tough guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [idk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To jacobbunner
I live near cincinnati and that is my real name. Any time.

----------
so....is it A) roid rage, B)drunk on bud or C) haven't eaten in half an hour. ding ding...all of the above (all but the eating thing....there's nacho crumbs all over
the keyboard)!
why so grumpy big guy? :(

jacobbunner.....i see you've deleted your posts already. wow. you sobered up quick!

Last edited by: idk: Dec 9, 08 20:52
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Iron Dumpling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight classes are a wussification of the sport. If you are gonna have it, use BMI not weight

I also want age groups to disappear as well or just a below 40 and above 40+ All these 5 year age group brackets are a bit much
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is appears that you may know a lot about triathleon training. But weight training, not so much. You lose nearly all muscle mass from lifting if you get away from the gym for more than six months. After one year, it is as if you have never lifted. The proverbial if you don't use it, you lose it. My most strenous upper body workouts are picking up my small children and using a mouse and keyboard.

For all the 150 pound triathletes out there, there are Clydes/Athenas out there who are actually pretty fit who don't need to greatly restrict their caloric intake and don't spend hours lifting. As several sub 200 posters indicated, they felt that society had discriminated against them when they played other sports. That still does not change the fact that weight is a key limiter. All other things being equal, you race a 185 pounder versus a 165 pounder, and the latter will win.

There seems to be a inverse relationship between higher weight and power/weight ratio whatever the sport. Thank goodness there are a good number of RD let common sense prevail and have Clydes/Athena categories. In this way, we weight gifted have a way to benchmark ourselves and set realistic targets.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Come on Fred and Bones....just admit it that you secretly really want to compete in the bald German category with Herbert and Hellriegel!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
- "fake" clydes. the guys/gals who fill their pockets with lead before weight in. Again, why do AGs care about these people. Only those effected by them, the clydes, should give a rats ass about them.
Does anyone give a rats ass about them? I don't race as a Clyde, and I don't care. But I've never seen a Clyde or anyone else call out the guys who look smaller than me (185 pounds) who are racing as Clydes.
Sure is a lot of dicussion for anyone "not caring".
Gosh, I didn't think three sentences was "a lot".

counting is not a strong suit of yours is it?

try again, use your fingers if have to, but make sure you read all the posts when you do. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [WindyCityClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The loss of muscle mass from not weight training really depends on the person and their body type. I loose it right a freaking way. Some guys lose a lot of their max strength but still keep lots of muscle on.

You didn't answer any of my questions though. Height, weight, pics? Where you that big since you were a kid?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is unreal everytime one of these posts come up, so much crying....The way I see it is I am a clyde, I amy be one of those 200lbs guys who like going to the gym and actually competeing in other sports as well. I dont want to loose 20-25 lbs, I like me and my weight. I like racing against other big guys and little guys. I like the division, if they dont have it oh well....If you are bigger and faster than me I have the ut most respect for you, If you are smaller and faster than me, that is fune too. But for people to get so bent out of shape over this debate everytime it comes up is just sad. Go out and train hard, eat, dont eat, what ever makes you happy at the end of the day. Sto bitching about a weight class, and just enjoy the moment, and for gods sake get a life if this bothers you that much...

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't do much about being German, but I'm on my way to baldness, and I'm slowly creeping up in weight since my son was born 7 weeks ago!! I don't think I'll be able to get up to 200 pounds though with my little 5' 8 frame.

Do away with the BIG people categories and all the age groups (maybe keep under and over 40 to recognize the true masters). Using 200 pounds seems a little too arbitrary anyway. How can you put someone who is 6' 5 at 210 pounds in the same group as someone 5' 8 at 210 pounds? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surpised by the hubris and whining that emerges when this issue comes up but has never emerged at a race that I've attended. It's been two years since I competed, maybe things have changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'2" and weigh just under 200. I could easily enter Clydesdale events but wouldn't want to even if I was 220 pounds.

I do understand in principle the idea behind the Clydesdales and Athena categories, but the big accomplishment is getting to the starting line and doing the event and not doing well in a sub category. What would be next? Super Clydesdales and Super Athenas for men over 275 pounds and women over 200 pounds? And fly weights for men under 140 pounds and women under 100 pounds?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, that's what I said earlier - once you open up these kinds of categories, and take them to their logical conclusions, it inevitability becomes ridiculous.

Just enter the race for your own reasons and go home happy that you did the best you could.

I will take a girl 150 lbs with some curves and meat on her body over a skinny,no chest,no booty girl every time.

"Fat bottom girls they make the rockin world go round."
Quote Reply

Prev Next