Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Iron Dumpling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you get this information? I was on the NAS homepage and didn't see anything. Could you point us to a URL? Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can eat 21 plus a deep-fried turkey!"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Alright, it was naive to think that Clydes could get any sympathy from 150pd tough guys.

Can we make one rule change? Make hip checking legal in races?

Alas, I will retreat from the ST-moneychangers-in-the-temple into the Buddhist temple and focus on personal best which is the real reason for getting into the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bloody hell, if I get called up for an award as an Athena, I'm more than happy to go claim it.

Then again, if I ever get to 155 or below I suspect there would be an intervention from everyone thinking I'd gone anorexic. My 6' frame at 150 would start looking like a holocaust victim.

That said, I don't think I care. I already know I'm not going to win AG or even come close, and figure the Athena's that might show up at my half ironman would probably be tall, fit amazons like myself but with a lot more experience and training. Whatever awards are available, I'm just doing it to push my own personal envelope.

Just don't disrespect me for being over the "magic weight number" or not being fast enough for you FOPer's.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [WindyCityClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, I'm 145 pounds and not tough at all. I totally get the disadvantage of guys that are just BIG. One of my closest friends that I have trained with for years, has a lower BF % than me, and he is over 200 pounds. I do feel for him sometimes, as I see the amount of work he puts in and can't tough me in the hills - physics are just not on his side.

That being said, I think a lot of us smaller guys are thinking "payback" for all those other sports in high school where we were at a disadvantage.

Personally, I only care about the overall - even though I never win.

I also believe clydesdale category is a bit ridiculous, some people are built for some sports others aren't. I used to play hockey I worked my ass off in the gym and put on as much weight as I could on my 5'10 frame I got up just over 170 and was and topped out I just couldn't get any more, end of the day I wasn't given the genetic tools to get to the size I needed to be to compete at a high level other guys were bigger and stronger and werent' at their "ceiling".

I started doing tris and have worked my ass off to push my body to a shape more suited for this sport years later and MANY hours of training I race at 145, and go pretty quick.

Most people weren't built to do what they love, that doesn't mean we should give them a special little place of there own, compete against yourself or compete against others but if you compete against others don't ask for special rules
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [spotticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you only participate in triathlons for the chance of getting a trophy then imho you are in it for the wrong reasons, unless you have a pro card and it affects your ability to put food on the table.

Doesn't this undercut the entire idea about AG classifications in general?

I race Clydesdale, not because of the trophy, but because of the competition and comraderie. It's fun to hang out with a group of like-built guys, and be able to compete with similarly situated individuals. While many AG racers take themselves very seriously (based on what I've read on this forum, many take themselves OVERLY seriously), I do not find that with the CDs. Rather, we might take the sport seriously (which I do), but do not take ourselves too seriously b/c we know that were are competing for what amounts to a consolation prize, and this really isn't our sport build-wise but we like to do it.

The key word in all of this is, however, competing - which is a lot of fun for AGers and CDs alike.

Quote | Reply
FYI: I called NAS and confirmed this rule change.

I pretty sure that this is a change that they will probably not publicize as this is somewhat controversial, and controversy is usually not good for business.

Roman "Iron Dumpling" Mica
http://www.everymantriathlon.com
If Not Now, When?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Dubsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think you miss the point. I am not looking for help in competing against others, I am looking to compete against those in an appropriate category. I already compete with everyone in the overall awards.

By your logic "I also believe clydesdale category is a bit ridiculous, some people are built for some sports others aren't," then there should be no weight limitations in boxing or wrestling. These endurance sports' categories are classified by weight because weight is the key limiter. There are no limitations in football, hockey or basketball because there is not an interest for different categories.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Iron Dumpling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultimately I race for myself, so even though I'm a Clyde I could care less about there being podium spots for heavier people. That said, I do like to see how other folks in my age and weight categories perform so I can set goals and get a sense of where the ceilings are for performance among people who are similar to myself age & weight wise. I think it would be cool to see that data, but I think it's superfluous to have extra trophies.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [WindyCityClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By your logic "I also believe clydesdale category is a bit ridiculous, some people are built for some sports others aren't," then there should be no weight limitations in boxing or wrestling. These endurance sports' categories are classified by weight because weight is the key limiter. There are no limitations in football, hockey or basketball because there is not an interest for different categories.

You are simply choosing to acknowledge the sports that agree with your point of view and ignore the ones that don't thats a poor argument at best. Of course there are weight categories in boxing or wrestling its not because they are "endurance" sports its because if there weren't people would get seriously injured, I mean honestly that is a completely different world. The KEY difference and reason why there is a weight classes in boxing and wrestling is because quite simply there has to be to make the sport accesible to everyone, that is also the exact reason there is no need for different weight categorys in other major sports (basketball, hockey, football etc) because these sports are accesible to all despite weight as is triathlon.

Maybe I do miss the point but I don't understand your point, the way I see it when you race in your AG you are competeing against those in an appropriate category and they are the people you should be measured against.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like races that open the field to everyone...first past the post wins regardless of age. We have a few high-profile events here in NZ like this...AGs are loosely categorized - Open (under 40), Masters, Veterans, etc - but they're there.

The thing about age-groups is that its the one classification that can't change. While you can lose weight, earn a greater income, increase your training hours and fitness, your DOB is the one constant...its the only legit & fool-proof way to categorize (if we must).

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Look at the data. In every age group up to 50 yrs old, the better performers that can do an Oly in 2:10. For every Clydesdale that has competed in 2008, the fastest time is 2:10 in large events(only once at natl championship) and seconds at 2:24 and then normalizes from 2:30 - 3:30. Age is not the key limiter here, weight is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK so your agreeing that weight is a key limiting factor on your ability to compete against the top performers in your age group, but also that it doesn't hinder your access to the sport.

Sounds just like me in Hockey and I suspect alot of other people in the other major sports.

You can't be a top performer because you weren't given the genetic tools, its a shame but there are millions of others out there in the same boat. Most of them don't ask for a different boat they just do the best they can.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [BigBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I race Clydesdale, not because of the trophy, but because of the competition and comraderie."

I don't get this point. I'm friends with people from pro to newbies from all over the u.s. Just because we don't go off in the same wave doesn't mean we aren't competing or can't be friends.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But there is lightweight rowing....

Which seems wierd because i would figure you wanted the lightest people no matter what... You think it'd be the other way around... although i am impressed with the responses i figured i was going to get an elitist asshole comment for that haha.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, next they'll do away with fins in the swim!!!

Steve Q
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [SJQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They'll get my outboard motor when they pry it from my cold, wet, dead, hands.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be more interested in NAS doing away with the silly "every body needs to "break-the-tape" at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert, that was classic :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not friends with anyone who does triathlons. I train by myself and travel on my own. When I get to a race, I rack my bikes with the CDs, I can easily pick them out before the swim start, and we can hang out after the race while we get our stuff from transition, and talk about who did well, who did not, without all the testosterone-based one upmanship so prevalent in certain circles. Also, since our class is marked on our calf, we actually cheer each other on during the race. It just makes it more fun - can't simplify it more than that.

Quote | Reply
Isn't Andy Potts like 190-195?

I don't like the Clydesdale division.

Weight is something you can change. If you don't want to be 250lbs eat less. I'm 6'6 183. I lost a lot of weight and a lot of upper body muscle to be more competitive in triathlon. If your weight is not due to fat and you're built like a tank, lose weight if you want to be more competitive in triathlon.

I would not advocate this, but if you wanted a fair division you could do it by height (says the 6'6 guy). People can not control their age or their height. People can 100% control their weight.

Larger people can usually process more liters of oxygen per minute. The key is finding the right balance between size and power that works best for you. Speaking of which, why don't we put people in categories based on VO2 max? That way they can compete based on pure guts rather than genetics. Note:I'm being ridiculous.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my way of thinking a 200+ plus athlete is only at a real disadvantage on the run.

There's a lot of big, even "fat" fast swimmers out there. Additionally there's a lot of 200 pound guys that can time trial really well. So unless the bike course is almost totally uphill they are not at a disadvantage by just being big.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.

Here's a dood that's 6'8, 200lbs with an FTP of 430. He's fast enough to qualify for Hawaii and run a pretty good IM marathon.

http://www2.trainingbible.com/...-uk-power-graph.html

No Clydesdale category needed.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race as a Clyde. My weight has fluctuated over the years. When I started out in tri back in '01, I was probably 185 or 190. I dropped to below 180 at one time. However, after I did my iron-distance race in 2005, I all but dropped out of the sport. I finished a couple of sprint races each year with my friends, trained about 4 hours a week and stayed in the weight room. The result? In January, I hit 223 (I'm 6' 2"). I decided it was time to get going and get back into shape. My weight dropped down to 205 but I still raced Clyde. I guess I did it because it was there. If it's there and I'm over 200 I'll race in that division. If USAT ever did away with it, I would have no problem racing as an age grouper. It's not that big of a deal — although I do occasionally pick up an award at local races as a Clyde. As an age grouper, not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman does away with Clydesdale and Athena [npearson99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a clyde but race age group. I'm 5'8" and 200 so I'm somewhere between looking like I lift weights and looking like I lift too many pizzas. I placed in AG for the first time a month ago. I would have been first in the Clyde category. Granted, it was a sprint distance. I'm too stubborn to think my weight is a limiter. I just need to work harder and suffer more. It's fun to beat the skinny guys! Now if they could just implement arm wrestling or bench press as the fourth leg of a triathlon...
Quote Reply

Prev Next