Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Kristian Blummenfelt is 22 and already good.
You will see a lot of him.

If you are looking at his run times he has always been good for his age. But he has raced against the best instead of U23. Now he is one of the best.

if you look at the run times from auckland juniors i posted above, his run time was 16:27, which was very average. he has made major improvements in his running.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Kristian Blummenfelt is 22 and already good.
You will see a lot of him.

If you are looking at his run times he has always been good for his age. But he has raced against the best instead of U23. Now he is one of the best.

if you look at the run times from auckland juniors i posted above, his run time was 16:27, which was very average. he has made major improvements in his running.

Yes he was sometimes fairly good, but nothing special run wise, not when comparing him to the top juniors. For someone built like a pure biker he has made amazing progress. There are other young athletes that also race against the best, some have had great results too but most were already great runners right through their junior careers. Coninx, Sheldon, Birtwhistle etc.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blummenfelt has a weird chest. Not sure if he sticks an inhaler down his top but his chest has all sorts of weird bumps when I've seen him race in person
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if TV will be able to really pick up on it but the first section of road through the marina for about 550-600m is all cobble/rocky/bumby.

There is pretty good current going from left to right as your looking into the ocean. Winds have picked up daily in afternoon and 4pm starts will likely have some swell. Won't be anything they haven't done but it just mave have a little bit of ground swell. Likely uneventful swim though.

1st hard right turn out of marina is very tight onto a smallish bike path road. Other than that and the rough bumpiness of road surface, super flat. The bike section is all surrounded by trees so likely protected from strongish winds if it kicks up this weekend.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Sep 15, 16 0:29
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
If I'm Richard I STFU and thank them for my check. Sorry FB - "cheque".

Mostly taking the piss with FB. Out of FB? On FB? How does one use that expression?

If I was a guy who had won the WC four of the last six years and the "training partner" who I just helped win the Olympic Gold medal showed up on a lark to snatch it away from me on his very first try, I'd be much less than thrilled. ..........but then again if the cheque for the Olympic effort was a big enough one perhaps not so much;) Interesting how the Brownlees always refer to him as "Varga" not Richy, Richard or any other term of endearment. Perhaps that's a Yorkshire thing.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they call him "Vargs" ... Even the lady in his favourite café doesn't call him Richard! Last year, I spent a couple of hours with Vargs, the Brownlees and others from the Leeds group (and Richard's fiancée Magdalena) and I can assure you there are genuinely all friends and the overall impression one gets is that here are a bunch of intelligent young people enjoying not having to work for a living!
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
No, they call him "Vargs" ... Even the lady in his favourite café doesn't call him Richard! Last year, I spent a couple of hours with Vargs, the Brownlees and others from the Leeds group (and Richard's fiancée Magdalena) and I can assure you there are genuinely all friends and the overall impression one gets is that here are a bunch of intelligent young people enjoying not having to work for a living!

Well in the interview at Edmonton, Jonny clearly said "Varga swum it too fast" but perhaps he was a bit pissed at the moment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard "Vargs" ... Another of the Leeds squad is Mark Buckingham, and he is known as Bucko ... so don't read too much into it.

If anyone is interested, you can check out the Leeds system:

http://www.leedstriathloncentre.info/squads

For me, the most interesting thing about all this is that the performance squad have no bike coaching,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
I heard "Vargs" ... Another of the Leeds squad is Mark Buckingham, and he is known as Bucko ... so don't read too much into it.

If anyone is interested, you can check out the Leeds system:

http://www.leedstriathloncentre.info/squads

For me, the most interesting thing about all this is that the performance squad have no bike coaching,

and it would appear that they're doing just fine without it too:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a throw away sentence in a recent Trimes article which might be worth pondering: namely this weekend could be the last time we see Gwen Jorgensen and Alistair Brownlee racing ITU. Enjoy while we can (although my tip is that Alistair will jog a 36 minute 10K and conk out in the heat!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

I do get the impression that the Leeds system, with its 7 day a week training with immense cycling volumes, is primarily Alistair's own system with tweaks from the run and swim coaches (and conditioning coaches. Would be interesting to know if that really is the case and whether it will endure once the Brownlees move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, alright, enough speculating on what those guys did, didn't do or should have done; let's start speculating about this weekend!

As is stands, Mario Mola leads Jonny B the WTS Rankings by 235 points; it's a solid lead but with extra points available for the Grand Final, it's not unassailable by any means. The points awarded for the top 5 placings are 1200, 1110, 1027, 950 and 879 so if Mola finishes 3rd or better then he can't be caught, but if someone other than the Brownlees gets themselves into the mix up there then it could be all to play for! I think it's time to fire up the "Should Alistair let Jonny win" debate again...

The race for the women's title is even closer with Flora Duffy leading Gwen in the overall rankings by a meagre 166 points; if Gwen wins (and let's be honest, she probably will) then second place is still good enough for Duffy to hold on to top spot for the series but that is far from a certainty.

I, for one, am very excited; can't wait for the action at the weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
There was a throw away sentence in a recent Trimes article which might be worth pondering: namely this weekend could be the last time we see Gwen Jorgensen and Alistair Brownlee racing ITU. Enjoy while we can (although my tip is that Alistair will jog a 36 minute 10K and conk out in the heat!)

Nah - I think we may see her in Tokyo. Interview with her hometown paper paper says as-much...
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2016/09/13/damato-gwen-jorgensen-racing-toward-new-goals/90297246/

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Sep 15, 16 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
Alright, alright, enough speculating on what those guys did, didn't do or should have done; let's start speculating about this weekend!

As is stands, Mario Mola leads Jonny B the WTS Rankings by 235 points; it's a solid lead but with extra points available for the Grand Final, it's not unassailable by any means. The points awarded for the top 5 placings are 1200, 1110, 1027, 950 and 879 so if Mola finishes 3rd or better then he can't be caught, but if someone other than the Brownlees gets themselves into the mix up there then it could be all to play for! I think it's time to fire up the "Should Alistair let Jonny win" debate again...

The race for the women's title is even closer with Flora Duffy leading Gwen in the overall rankings by a meagre 166 points; if Gwen wins (and let's be honest, she probably will) then second place is still good enough for Duffy to hold on to top spot for the series but that is far from a certainty.

The forecast is for ~ 85*F for race time on Sunday - Bonus Mola. I assume the swim will be non wetsuited and a bit rough- Bonus Varga/Brownlee . If the killer bees and get Varga, Royal, Schoeman and perhaps another to hammer their guts out on the bike then Jonny will have a good chance of pulling it off.

Last edited by: sciguy: Sep 15, 16 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of me would quite like to see a straightforward footrace between the Bs, Murray and Mola just to see what would happen. But the temperature and humidity is such that I think we may see a repeat of Gold Coast with Alistair jogging and Jonny breaking down in the last 2K (Alistair said he found the heat oppressive in the Aquathlon and that took place at 8 in the morning!). But again in Rio, Mola showed that he is not the same athlete following a hard bike, so the best strategy is to hammer it at the front and hopefully turn it into a race of the jelly legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
I think Ben Dijkstra has thus far shown he is a better triathlete but Alex Yee is ludicrously fast...

You are absolutely spot on with Georgia Taylor-Brown. In 2013, she was runner up at the World Juniors, she had been picked to go to the world cross-country championships and I really thought she could be the next big thing in women's triathlon. But then she hurt her foot, and eventually had an operation in autumn 2014 but seems to have spent two years rehabbing. She hasn't done many races but swum and biked extremely well in them but as yet, has not regained her brilliant running form (she trains with the Brownlees and Vicky, Non etc in Leeds).

Up to Nov last year Ben was beating Alex in running races too. Then roll around the Inter Countries/English School and Alex's fitness jumped forward while I think Ben got injured as he certainly wasn't his normal self.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
sciguy wrote:

I do get the impression that the Leeds system, with its 7 day a week training with immense cycling volumes, is primarily Alistair's own system with tweaks from the run and swim coaches (and conditioning coaches. Would be interesting to know if that really is the case and whether it will endure once the Brownlees move on.

The Leeds training centre was created for the Brownlees - or rather, the Brownlees said "you can stick your Loughborough HPC up your ....., we're basing ourselves in Leeds" and then the BTF created a HPC around them. So, my guess is that the BTF funded HPC doesn't last too long after the last Brownlee gives up ITU/Olympic racing, but that there remains a "Brownlee training group" for as long as they are racing something.

UK NGBs seem to be obsessed with Loughborough, and basing as much as they can out of there - British Cycling being one of the most notable exceptions.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:

It'll play out like it did a couple of years ago when it was a shootout between Johnny and Javier in the Grand Final - AB will help Johnny as much as he can until/unless it's clear that he can't beat Mola to the title, at which point AB will race for himself.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [alir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a hilly course in Edmonton, this is a flat course in the tropics. I think that the only chance they have to stay away from a main group containing Mola is for AB to be fully committed to JB winning. I think we could see a real super domestique this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool fact, the Norwegian athlete Gustav Iden (b.1996) who will race the U23 race today won Haugesund 70.3.
Swim: 20.22
Bike: 2.09.19
Run: 1.11.28
http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#axzz4KLprwhu3

This should tell something about the level of the ITU athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he just missed the 3rd pack and is losing ground.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Looks like he just missed the 3rd pack and is losing ground.

Yes, a bad swim and you are toast in ITU. On the other end of the field you have Jorgen Gundersen. He was brought in by Gomez to help out with swimming.
Blummenfelt was invited by the Brownlees. This is what I like with ITU. You can train together and be friends, but on race day - it is a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there English commentary online somewhere?

My Spanish is limited to cerveza.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the story with van egdom? looking at his race history, it looks like he has a du background:

http://www.triathlon.org/...1350/jorik_van_egdom

is he going to be a force with the big boys in the coming years?
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Discussion Thread [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
what's the story with van egdom? looking at his race history, it looks like he has a du background:

http://www.triathlon.org/...1350/jorik_van_egdom

is he going to be a force with the big boys in the coming years?

Nice race for him but gosh the things he does with his mouth are just a bit strange to look at.

Quote Reply

Prev Next