Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Doing NYC Marathon
Quote | Reply
Gwen was on CNBC Squakbox this morning where she made the announcement that she will be racing the New York City Marathon this fall. Discuss!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [jbailey500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this too. Here is a link.

http://www.nytimes.com/...rtner=IFTTT&_r=1

According to the article she has never run more than 10 miles. That can't be possible, can it?
"That race is only 11 weeks away, and it will be 16.2 miles longer than the farthest Jorgensen has ever run."
Last edited by: ctbrian: Aug 24, 16 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I posted in the other thread;

---------

That's really cool. I think the bar is 2:37 for pro triathlete women by Erin Baker, Sonja Krolich (sp?) and 2:38 in Boston by Jackie Gallagher (RIP) which she then improved on with a 2:32 at the Nagoya Marathon. MacMillan puts a 32 min 10K runner at 2:30. Derate that a bit for the difficulty in NYC and the hills in the closing loop in central park. How fast does Gwen run an open 10K?
-----------

Having said that, if she really has not run more than 10 miles, I would be curious to hear if she has done any 75-90 mile run weeks with double runs. If she has, I would not be worried about the 10 mile long run. She is genetically blessed, has superb and symmetrical form and can run fast at the end of a 2 hour event already.

But running "that fast for that long" can be a different animal....witness Mark Allen's disaster race at the Berlin Marathon 1994. He was supposed to go sub 2:20 and that never happened. He DNFd from wooden quads. I am not aware of a single pro male triathlete who has gone sub 2:20 (Ryan Bolton and Christian Bustos ran 2:22). Jackie Gallagher has that unreal 2:32 high bar from the Nagoya marathon. She also had a bronze medal from the Commonwealth Games marathon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/...3_Women%27s_marathon

Why do I know all this shit? Well for the longest time I was a marathoner who raced way faster at open marathon than my equivalent IM run times....so was alway interested in what the pros would do in the odd event they did an open marathon
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 24, 16 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this just a celebrity appearance to cruise along and wave the flag or will she actually be using this as a litmus test to establish an open marathon time ?
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does seem awful soon to really go for it. Probably pays well and helps her elevate her profile.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
How fast does Gwen run an open 10K?

That is a lot of information Dev. Gwen ran the Sydney:10 road race in 2014 and 2015. 32:12 was her 2015 time. Both years she was the top female finisher beating Eloise Wellings by ~35 seconds each year. In Rio, Ms. Wellings was 10th in the 10k and 9th in the 5k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's starting with the pros apparently.

How much do you reckon she's getting paid to do this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sitting at 6 minute pace to cruise to a 2:37 is much much easier than going sub 2:20. Fwiw vanort has gone 2:23 as well. Btw, the island house tri is the weekend before.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess she is getting ~ 200K "appearance fee", based on my recollection of a an article I read on celebrity appearance fees at high profile marathons.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC, the standard for the pro women corral in the NYC Marathon is ~2:50 so putting Gwen up there isn't really a stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
Just saw this too. Here is a link.

http://www.nytimes.com/...rtner=IFTTT&_r=0

According to the article she has never run more than 10 miles. That can't be possible, can it?
"That race is only 11 weeks away, and it will be 16.2 miles longer than the farthest Jorgensen has ever run."

I'm getting a dead link, but maybe they mean that's 16.2 farther than she's ever raced? Even for a 10k race I'd imagine she's run way over 10 miles in training.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine that the author of the article is misunderstood. I would be shocked if she has never run farther than 10 miles and I bet she actually said she has never RACED farther than 10. If she has indeed never run farther than 10 miles, her coach is no less than a genius (which he might be anyway) and she is one of the most gifted runners in history (which she might be anyway). She has to be getting a generous appearance fee to make the jump to a full marathon in only 10 weeks. Minimum $150K.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:

I'm getting a dead link, but maybe they mean that's 16.2 farther than she's ever raced? Even for a 10k race I'd imagine she's run way over 10 miles in training.
NY Times on Gwen racing NYC Marathon
Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Aug 24, 16 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an ASICS-sponsored race and she is sponsored by them as well. I'm sure that has something to do with the decision...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course she has run more than 10 miles, it is raced if it is anything. Hell a warm up and warm down after a 10k race is more than 10 miles..

ANd Dev, Erin went 2;34 as I recall, so a bit faster than 2;37. I would expect Gwen to threaten that time, maybe even sub 2;30. She does not need a ton of lead up time, she already has all the endurance and speed she needs, just need some long runs to get her legs ready. 11 weeks is plenty of time if she is serious about it.

SHe has a little faster PR 10k than I did and I was able to run 2;36 in 8 weeks of running, backed up with tri training as a base for endurance. And although we have run similar times, she is a much better oure runner than I ever was, so I would expect that she do better as the distance gets longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [mcdicarlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she was a distance / mid distance runner in college. What does a typical Big 10 cross country workout look like?
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am putting the over/under at 2:33:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I understand she's doesnt do that much mileage in training in comparison to other girls- around 60-70k weeks, where there are a lot of pro girls regularly hitting 100.

It'll be interesting to see how seriously she approaches the race, she still has Cozumel and likely Island House triathlons this season.

Quote | Reply
Wisconsin's program is legendary. Mick Byrne is one of the most tenured coaches in the NCAA and his athletes put in a lot of volume, without a doubt. Obviously every athlete is different and maybe Gwen didn't do the typical distance workouts that her teammates did, but most of a Wisconsin distance runners quality days exceed 10 miles. I found a workout on Flotrack where the distance squad did a warmup, 3 mile tempo, 2 mile tempo, and then 8x400. Add in a cool down and you're at 11 miles easy.

Additionally, the vast of majority of NCAA distance programs, D3 on up, incorporate long runs of 10-15 miles on a weekly basis. Again, there is a chance Mick Byrne took a different approach with Gwen...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am putting the over/under at 2:33:15//

I would agree with that time, have to know a lot more information though before deciding which side to take on it. IS she taking it serious, is she injury free, what is the weather forecast, and most importantly, is it a goal or a $$ opportunity she could just not pass up..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome! My guess is that she'll run it in 2:45 or 3 hours and have fun with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbailey500 wrote:
Gwen was on CNBC Squakbox this morning where she made the announcement that she will be racing the New York City Marathon this fall. Discuss!

For those that missed it. Here is the link to the Squak interview this morning.

http://video.cnbc.com/...ry/?video=3000545578

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 24, 16 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not surprised she's running a marathon (mostly because I'm sure she's getting a very nice appearance fee and maybe a bump in Asics money). I am very surprised she's never run more than 10 miles. I would have figured she was doing track workouts that would be long than 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
she was a distance / mid distance runner in college. What does a typical Big 10 cross country workout look like?

The Olympic 10k runner on my ladies squad was around 80-90 mph, with more or less the same training as the men. Lots of 800 to 2k intervals, medium tempo runs and log runs of 12-15. Lots of morning doubles of 3-5 miles for recovery. Middle distance runners do more tempo and shorter intervals (300-1200), with less total volume. I was a 800-1500 runner and would put in about 60-70 miles/week. Long run was a still 12 or so, but probably 30 of the remainder was between 3:40 and 5:45 mile pace (55 sec 400's for the 3:40, not a full mile, obviously).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what her coaches think about this idea? I have to feel like her going red-line for a much longer distance than she's used to is a bad idea for her continuing tri form Wonder if there's a reality where she runs a passable but "easy" effort, collects her appearance fee and moves on? Would actually love to see her show up and lay down an amazing time, but just not sure it's in her best interest at this point to go that deep into the well. No one's ever asked me to be their tri coach before though, so may not know what I'm talking about!
Quote Reply

Prev Next