Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's probably just disappointed like all of us who realize, in retrospect, that we went out too hard in a marathon. If she would have started slower she might have got very close to the 2:37

Mark,

She's probably "disappointed" in the sense that she is a world class, world champion athlete. They tend to have VERY high standards for whatever they do - even when they say otherwise.

FWIW - she ran about what I thought she would run - high 2:30's to low 2:40's. Essentially 6 min/mile pace. She's probably run a lot of that pace just in her general run training. For athletes at this level, it's kind of the default faster running pace.

I've attempted to run a few marathons off of triathlon training. They all went the same - I felt like super-man for the first 20 miles, and then somewhere around between the 20 - 22 mile mark a bear jumped on my back and I had to carry the bear the final 4 miles to the line! It was not a bonk, it was most likely a lack of marathon specific training - right at that marathon goal race-pace - which for me at the time was about 5:50 - 5:55 min/mile. I could run all day at 7 min/mile from my IM training and could run under 6 min/mile for up to 13.1 miles - but stringing along 26 miles of just under 6 min/mile - that was the challenge!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
She's probably just disappointed like all of us who realize, in retrospect, that we went out too hard in a marathon. If she would have started slower she might have got very close to the 2:37

Mark,

She's probably "disappointed" in the sense that she is a world class, world champion athlete. They tend to have VERY high standards for whatever they do - even when they say otherwise.

FWIW - she ran about what I thought she would run - high 2:30's to low 2:40's. Essentially 6 min/mile pace. She's probably run a lot of that pace just in her general run training. For athletes at this level, it's kind of the default faster running pace.

I've attempted to run a few marathons off of triathlon training. They all went the same - I felt like super-man for the first 20 miles, and then somewhere around between the 20 - 22 mile mark a bear jumped on my back and I had to carry the bear the final 4 miles to the line! It was not a bonk, it was most likely a lack of marathon specific training - right at that marathon goal race-pace - which for me at the time was about 5:50 - 5:55 min/mile. I could run all day at 7 min/mile from my IM training and could run under 6 min/mile for up to 13.1 miles - but stringing along 26 miles of just under 6 min/mile - that was the challenge!

I wonder if this is a bucket list item that she does just once and walks away from, or the sense of disappointment sucks her back in at some time in the near future when her running is still near her peak. Lisa Bentley ran around 2:47 at Boston long after retirement at age 46 or 47. Would have loved to see how fast Lisa would have gone at her peak. I am thinking she'd be mid 2:30's.

http://triathlonmagazine.ca/...ory-boston-marathon/
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or the sense of disappointment sucks her back in at some time in the near future when her running is still near her peak.

----

Doubtful. She's now following the Nicola Spirig post gold medal winning family plan. That's the priority they've talked about for several years once Rio show was done.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
or the sense of disappointment sucks her back in at some time in the near future when her running is still near her peak.

----

Doubtful. She's now following the Nicola Spirig post gold medal winning family plan. That's the priority they've talked about for several years once Rio show was done.

Having kids does not preclude getting back to full competition (of any kind) later. Could be several years for now. Even Joan Benoit ran 2:51 at around 50 years old. Gwen could come back 4-8 years from now and still be close to her all time best. Erin Baker did all her fast marathon times after becoming a mother.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but you asked if this would somehow motivate her to actually going into full marathon training in the near future. No that ain't going to happen.

That ain't going to happen til likely post Tokyo.

Which I think by then GJ becomes just a runner/spectator/motivational speaker for sports. Lives off being the greatest female triathlete, paid speaking gigs.

Do I think she runs faster and and another marathon? Yes. Do I think she becomes some full time marathon trained athlete? No

ETA: I think it's a no brainer. Hell I think she could run another one in 2018 and nail a race and still focus on Tokyo for the whole qualifying period (she'll be easily qualified for the ITU races, etc). I just don't think she's going to do one anytime soon (next year). I think her priority is going to shift on family right now. Then build back up for Tokyo when required.

Hell she can make more money being a mom and speaking at corporations for 18 months and sorta do basic stay in shape training and make more bank than race ITU circuit.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 7, 16 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Doing NYC Marathon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
She's now following the Nicola Spirig post gold medal winning family plan.
Quite literally.

Olympic Gold Medalist Nicola Spirig Expecting A Baby
Quote:
According to the Associated Press, the Olympic gold medalist is due to give birth in May, meaning she got pregnant shortly after her thrilling win.

Spirig will take time away from triathlon, but will have the goal of returning in time to try to defend her gold medal in 2016 in Rio.

Gwen Jorgensen Reflects On Her First Marathon
Quote:
Triathlete: Do you see yourself coming back to participate in the race someday?
GJ: Yeah, I don’t know. I had a great time. But I’m pretty vocal about the fact that Patrick and I are trying to have a kid. So yeah, we don’t know. I didn’t get pregnant during month No. 1, and in month No. 2 I was training for a marathon, so that probably didn’t help.

Triathlete: In a perfect world, what does the next year look like for you?
Jorgensen: I get pregnant right now, then have a baby, and get right back into training. I think that would be a perfect year.

Triathlete: In a perfect scenario, what do the next four years look like for you?
Jorgensen: I don’t really know. I mean, have a baby, get back into training, and I’d like to go to Tokyo [Olympics] in 2020.
Quote Reply

Prev Next