Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
FWIW Dev, the caloric difference between Gatorade (50cal) & Perform (70cal) is basically the same as the difference between Gatorade (50) & G2 (30) - per 8oz.

G2 is like 20 per 8oz. It's a joke for anyone doing an activity necessitating gatorade and then there's the sucralose...
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
So is GE not available in Canada? What's the deal with that?

How many "I cramped at IMC or IMMT or IMMusk due to lack of electrolytes" excuse threads will there be? Half pink on purpose. :-)

It seems our communist government here in Canada somehow has approved Perform, but not Gatorade EF for consumer consumption. Might just be that Gatorade never went through the approvals....there seems no logical reason why, but yes, the "half pink on purpose" should likely be fully pink. Hopefully we can help spread the word so that athletes make the appropriate adjustments.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there water available?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
BrianPBN wrote:

FWIW Dev, the caloric difference between Gatorade (50cal) & Perform (70cal) is basically the same as the difference between Gatorade (50) & G2 (30) - per 8oz.

G2 is like 20 per 8oz. It's a joke for anyone doing an activity necessitating gatorade and then there's the sucralose...

My fault Chris as I was reviewing the data on my mobile & didn't notice the 12oz serving (ie 30cal /12oz).

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there water or does one have no choice but to drink this shit?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Is there water or does one have no choice but to drink this shit?

Always water & cola as other liquid options.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, deja vu all over again. I just Googled "Gatorade Endurance Canada" and found a 2006 post of mine asking how to buy Gatorade Endurance in Canada. Hard to believe that almost a decade later our government is still protecting us from the dangers of salty sports drinks.

Can someone confirm that I have this straight. Last year all Ironman races used Ironman Perform and this year US races are using Gatorade Endurance and Canadian races are using regular Gatorade? Is that correct? Also any suggestions on purchasing Gatorade Endurance in Canada or getting it mail order?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
Wow, deja vu all over again. I just Googled "Gatorade Endurance Canada" and found a 2006 post of mine asking how to buy Gatorade Endurance in Canada. Hard to believe that almost a decade later our government is still protecting us from the dangers of salty sports drinks.

Can someone confirm that I have this straight. Last year all Ironman races used Ironman Perform and this year US races are using Gatorade Endurance and Canadian races are using regular Gatorade? Is that correct? Also any suggestions on purchasing Gatorade Endurance in Canada or getting it mail order?

Confirming the part in bold.

As for our government, well if they have to protect us from salt then how come Perform slid in and are they going to ban Poutine (especially the servings you get in the finisher zone at IMMT?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the salt or a non bilingual label that is the issue? I thought that was Skratch's problem in Canada last year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing i am taking from this thread....

After swimming, safely navigating a daredevil descent, suffering mightily on the climb back up, and limping through a full marathon... there may be cold, probably stale, poutine waiting for me?

There had better be some left by the time i drag my old, fat BOP ass across that finish line!

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [Jmath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmath wrote:
Is it the salt or a non bilingual label that is the issue? I thought that was Skratch's problem in Canada last year?

I received an email from Gatorade Canada over 9 years ago saying that they were about to get approval for Gatorade Endurance in Canada so I don't think a bilingual label is the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:
The thing i am taking from this thread....

After swimming, safely navigating a daredevil descent, suffering mightily on the climb back up, and limping through a full marathon... there may be cold, probably stale, poutine waiting for me?

There had better be some left by the time i drag my old, fat BOP ass across that finish line!

Poutine was at Mont Tremblant, not Whistler.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we allowed to bring Endurance across the border for personal consumption? We are driving from California.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
Are we allowed to bring Endurance across the border for personal consumption? We are driving from California.

Customs and Immigration at the border will not be aware that Gatorade Endurance is not registered for sale in Canada, so you will be fine. I have bought some in the US a few times and brought it back with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what size bottle of Gatorade they're handing out on the bike course?

The athlete guide is finally on the website, btw.
Last edited by: spool: Jul 5, 15 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hi jack but why is perform no longer used in the us races?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a very good reason why most of the sports nutrition companies have REDUCED the calories per ml. It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that calories taken in liquid form (including gu's) create an overload of sugars in the small intestine, requiring the body to pull water from the blood serum to create proper balance, ultimately resulting in severe dehydration, regardless of how much water you drink, and also ultimately resulting in a complete shutdown of the small intestine, meaning NO nutritional absorption. The ONLY way to avoid this is to take your calories in a natural form (solid), which allows a proper regulation of needed calories. The reason for the 20 ish calories per 8 oz of water is for fluid absorption, NOT calorie replacement. Once again, pay attention to current science and it has been well established that this small carb load improves water absorption without disrupting the small intestine process.
Last comment on this thread topic. Salt??? Really? Anyone doing an Ironman should have at least a basic enough understanding of human physiology to understand that if you are sweating your sodium serum level is going UP, not down, and the only thing that can create a low sodium serum level is drinking TOO MUCH fluid, with or without sodium. The amount of sodium as a low normal in a human is 135 mmol/l, with converts to roughly 52 GRAMS per liter. It will not make a significant difference to your sodium serum level if you are drinking plain water or consuming even 1 to 2 grams of sodium per hour. I have avoided added sodium in all of my diet for over 3 years, and in that time completed numerous ironman and 70.3 races, and an ultraman and the furnace 508 cycling race, done well enough to set AG records, and have not had 1 cramp since stopping the excess sodium. This admit tingly has less to do with the sodium reduction, and more to do with recognizing the futility of expecting sodium to reduce cramping, and shifting my attention to the real causes, such as muscle imbalances (quite common with endurance athletes) and lack of a proper strength training program. In summary, no Gatoraide? Who cares? Drink water, eat solid food that you like, and have a great race 😃
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that calories taken in liquid form (including gu's) create an overload of sugars in the small intestine..... Lots of words...... More words.... Nothing to back up "numerous studies".... More words

Fixed
Last edited by: chris948: Jul 5, 15 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that calories taken in liquid form (including gu's) create an overload of sugars in the small intestine..... Lots of words...... More words.... Nothing to back up "numerous studies".... More words

Fixed

Brilliant reply 😀 perhaps I should have assumed that some of the readers on this forum are too lazy to look things up. Google Stacy Sims, or Osmo Nutrition, she has both her own studies and "many" others, also try Scratch Labs, warning - the studies contain many words, which will make it difficult for you, or just continue your path of ignorance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about peer reviewed studies instead of press relations?

Generic sports drinks have reduced calories because we've become a bunch of fat asses and "Low calorie" sells.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's exactly why Gatorade and other sports drink reduced the calories in some of their drinks.

/sarcasm.

IntenseOne wrote:
There is a very good reason why most of the sports nutrition companies have REDUCED the calories per ml. It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that calories taken in liquid form (including gu's) create an overload of sugars in the small intestine, requiring the body to pull water from the blood serum to create proper balance, ultimately resulting in severe dehydration, regardless of how much water you drink, and also ultimately resulting in a complete shutdown of the small intestine, meaning NO nutritional absorption. The ONLY way to avoid this is to take your calories in a natural form (solid), which allows a proper regulation of needed calories. The reason for the 20 ish calories per 8 oz of water is for fluid absorption, NOT calorie replacement. Once again, pay attention to current science and it has been well established that this small carb load improves water absorption without disrupting the small intestine process.
Last comment on this thread topic. Salt??? Really? Anyone doing an Ironman should have at least a basic enough understanding of human physiology to understand that if you are sweating your sodium serum level is going UP, not down, and the only thing that can create a low sodium serum level is drinking TOO MUCH fluid, with or without sodium. The amount of sodium as a low normal in a human is 135 mmol/l, with converts to roughly 52 GRAMS per liter. It will not make a significant difference to your sodium serum level if you are drinking plain water or consuming even 1 to 2 grams of sodium per hour. I have avoided added sodium in all of my diet for over 3 years, and in that time completed numerous ironman and 70.3 races, and an ultraman and the furnace 508 cycling race, done well enough to set AG records, and have not had 1 cramp since stopping the excess sodium. This admit tingly has less to do with the sodium reduction, and more to do with recognizing the futility of expecting sodium to reduce cramping, and shifting my attention to the real causes, such as muscle imbalances (quite common with endurance athletes) and lack of a proper strength training program. In summary, no Gatoraide? Who cares? Drink water, eat solid food that you like, and have a great race 😃

Quote | Reply
Owen- I only consider peer reviewed studies that are done with proper scientific principle, and that is exactly what I was referring to.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
You'll have to check the website.

I think my athlete said Stinger gels/blocks and waffles.

And Gatorade.

I'm curious about solid food nutrition for the bike. The June Update says waffles, but the the official athlete guide lists bike nutrition as gels and energy bars and the run nutrition lists gels and chews, with no mention of waffles.
The waffles were there the first year in Whistler, but they weren't provided last year or I missed them. Could someone get confirmation for this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:

As far as I know you can for personal consumption....you just can't sell it in Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
It has been demonstrated in numerous studies that calories taken in liquid form (including gu's) create an overload of sugars in the small intestine, requiring the body to pull water from the blood serum to create proper balance, ultimately resulting in severe dehydration, regardless of how much water you drink, and also ultimately resulting in a complete shutdown of the small intestine, meaning NO nutritional absorption. The ONLY way to avoid this is to take your calories in a natural form (solid), which allows a proper regulation of needed calories.

If athletes consuming gu's and other sources of non-solid nutrition suffered from severe dehydration and shutdown of the small intestine I think this would be common knowledge by now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next