Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gatorade at IM Whistler
Quote | Reply
Fleck, etc...

I got an email from an athlete about the drink for IM Canada. I'm kind of thinking that there is a typo or disconnect somewhere. He is under the impression (see below) that the on-course drink at IM Whistler this year will be Gatorade G2. In the US that is lower calorie and lower sodium than 'normal' Gatorade.

The email said "Our partnerships team is just finalizing our nutrition. It is looking like it will be Gatorade (G2) at IRONMAN Canada this year." and further "Unfortunately Gatorade Endurance is not produced or distributed in Canada, so we are unable to use it." These were emails from an Ironman Western Canada rep.

I've asked elsewhere and the reply was essentially it was Gatorade Endurance in 13 and 14.

But, I also think that there must/might be a typo somewhere and that it is the 'normal' Gatorade as opposed to what we call G2 in the US. Anyone?

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B,

I pinged a mate who lives there and knows a few people in the race org, will let you know what I find out.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was Perform in 13. G2 is probably a typo.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandon I will check in with some people in the Canadian arm of WTC and confirm. I thought it was going to be Gatorade EF at the races even though it may not be commercially available in Canada....but I may be wrong. Does this question imply we will see you in Whistler, or is the question on behalf of another athlete?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you please post your findings publicly on here so others racing Whistler (me) can find out too? Big thanks. If you are able, flavor of drink on run and bike courses would be nice to know also. For totally psychological reasons I cannot drink orange gatorade. So, if it is the only flavor offered on the bike course and/or run course I need to plan ahead and adjust. I am looking forward to trying the Whistler course out. Good comments from folks like you have me excited for race weekend.

thanks

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Brandon I will check in with some people in the Canadian arm of WTC and confirm. I thought it was going to be Gatorade EF at the races even though it may not be commercially available in Canada....but I may be wrong. Does this question imply we will see you in Whistler, or is the question on behalf of another athlete?

Hey guys, just giving you my $.02 on this as everything I've been told, on & off the record is Whistler will have regular Gatorade (50-cal per 8oz/210mL) & NOT the Gatorade Endurance which is what will be on-course at the IM events in the US.

For reference, the carbohydrate profile in the regular (ie Thirst Quencher) & endurance formula is identical with the only difference being the electrolyte composition.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is kind of what I thought. But, I've got someone double checking.

Dev. No, I'm retired from serious racing. No Whistler for me.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
This is kind of what I thought. But, I've got someone double checking.

Dev. No, I'm retired from serious racing. No Whistler for me.

Brandon, you definitely have more important things on hand. Thank you for your "service" to our sport and I am glad we got to support your quest in a small way.

I have confirmation from WTC Canada guys that it is regular Gatorade (same calories less sodium than EF). So all you guys may want to add one Salt Stick tab (or two) per bottle to get you on par with Perform/EF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI I went through the guide for Victoria and it says G2 gatorade, which sucks but at least we know.

Not sure if it will be the same for whistler but I'll ask when I'm there in a couple weeks.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be Gatorade G2 on course (bottle form on the bike, powder form in jugs on the run). It will NOT be Gatorade Endurance. Cola will be Pepsi.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My confirmation was same as Dev's. Normal gatorade. Lower sodium hut the same calories as gatorade endurance. From a gatorade person.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll go buy a few cases of this stuff to get my stomach "acclimated." Any idea what the on-course nutrition will be?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll have to check the website.

I think my athlete said Stinger gels/blocks and waffles.

And Gatorade.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find honey stinger products to be unbearably sweet.....looks like I'll have to stuff my pockets with gu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to add to the confusion but the Athlete Service Manager at IM Western Canada (rachel macatee) has responded to an email (posted by someone on the IM Canada FB group) that all races in western Canada will have Gatorade (G2) and Honey Stringer. Flavors unknown. She did mention the deal wasn't finalized so maybe it will be changed to regular Gatorade.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Not to add to the confusion but the Athlete Service Manager at IM Western Canada (rachel macatee) has responded to an email (posted by someone on the IM Canada FB group) that all races in western Canada will have Gatorade (G2) and Honey Stringer. Flavors unknown. She did mention the deal wasn't finalized so maybe it will be changed to regular Gatorade.

I guess this contradicts what Mitch Fraser told me about the drink being regular Gatorade. I'll re confirm with them later today. It just makes no sense to sign a deal for G2. Now you have to take the drink and supplement with a gel to get back to the same calories you would normally get out of a bottle. Also keep in mind that the sodium is already lower than Gatorade Endurance Formula in both regular gatorade and G2. All this means is that with G2 we are getting half the calories and less than half the sodium for the same volume of water. Many athletes will dilute their blood sodium with all the additional water in G2, so probably don't need "extra water" off the course. Low sweaters will need to substantially top up sodium and calories since G2 is low on both for the same volume of water. Personally I view G2 as a pain. Regular Gatorade is already a pain, given that we have to supplement on sodium. Now we have to supplement on sodium and calories.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree with your assessment on why G2 is a nonsensical move. I really don't understand how this question can be so hard to answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a comparison while at the grocery store of both G2 and regular Gatorade, and came to a similar conclusion. G2 is practically useless for our purposes. They should at least provide the regular stuff, since the cost is the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we assume that whatever they do for Whistler will be the same for IMMT?

And IMMT 70.3 is in a few weeks - would that have the same as the full in August?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that if we can't get an answer from WTC/IM, we should be able to make a more educated guess after IM Victoria 70.3 next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MtnBikerChk wrote:
Can we assume that whatever they do for Whistler will be the same for IMMT?

And IMMT 70.3 is in a few weeks - would that have the same as the full in August?

Hopefully we will get some clarification on all of this in the next day or so. I have asked and put in my 2 cents for whatever this is worth. As much as I detested the TASTE of Perform, at least my body could absorb it decently and I would get something like 450 mg of Sodium in a bottle to go with just a around 180 cals if I recall correctly. 5 bottles of that alone and you were at 1000 cals and 2000 mg sodium. If I added a few other nutrition sources (I typically take 600 cals + 2400 mg NaCl from Infinit) and a powerbar and I'd be set starting the run. If it really si G2, need a lot more calories and salt to top up from G2...regular Gatorade, need to still top up salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade at IM Whistler [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
I was thinking that if we can't get an answer from WTC/IM, we should be able to make a more educated guess after IM Victoria 70.3 next weekend.

OK, Janet Fraser responded this evening and replied saying there is a mistake in the IM Victoria athlete guide. It is 100% regular Gatorade for all Canadian events as they brokered the deal. So we can all move on....just make sure you guys supplement with some sodium relative to Perform if you were "zero water" hydrators and just using the sport drink. If you were adding water, to your intake mix, then we regular Gatorade, you might be at similar sodium concentration. Calories between regular Gatorade and Perform are similar.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is GE not available in Canada? What's the deal with that?

How many "I cramped at IMC or IMMT or IMMusk due to lack of electrolytes" excuse threads will there be? Half pink on purpose. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jun 3, 15 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
instigator wrote:

OK, Janet Fraser responded this evening and replied saying there is a mistake in the IM Victoria athlete guide. It is 100% regular Gatorade for all Canadian events as they brokered the deal. So we can all move on....just make sure you guys supplement with some sodium relative to Perform if you were "zero water" hydrators and just using the sport drink. If you were adding water, to your intake mix, then we regular Gatorade, you might be at similar sodium concentration. Calories between regular Gatorade and Perform are similar.

Dev

FWIW Dev, the caloric difference between Gatorade (50cal) & Perform (70cal) is basically the same as the difference between Gatorade (50) & G2 (30) - per 8oz.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply

Prev Next