Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am conflicted. I started this thread many moons ago after my second clamp failure. Since then I have had a couple of opportunities to interact with numerous members of the Felt team at Oceanside 70.3 and I came away very impressed. They could not have been more accommodating or customer focused. My 1:1 interactions with them have been so favorable that I have completely let go of my frustrations over the clamp issue. They have won me over.

In my opinion, what is really holding them back is their dogmatic insistence that all communication be through a local dealer. Unfortunately, local dealers are often far more familiar with lower-end or road products and have little knowledge of TT or triathlon. Sometimes, you just need to be able to cut past the middle-man to get something done quickly and efficiently. I can't think of another company that pretty much refuses to speak to their customers.

At their core, I believe Felt is a good company that really cares about their customers, but their service model is not letting that shine through.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Aug 28, 19 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've even had the new clamps fail?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. The new clamps are great. Seem bomb-proof to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phew... I'm a big guy (190, 6'5") and having my aero bars come loose is a weird phobia of mine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just heard from Felt support. They say they will work through my local shop (not a Felt dealer), but will not sell direct.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one of my clamps fail during a race earlier this year. My bike isn't even a felt, it just has the IA basebar and extensions. They still replaced them for free! I did go through a shop here in NYC and it took about 2 weeks, but not bad.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got mine after some confusion (wrong parts sent), but all is good now.

If there is no Felt dealer near, they will work with another local shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My clamps are fine but i struggle with the aerobars spinning forward on the basebars when i hit a bump, despite torquing to 7nm with carbon paste.

I am 130lbs but my armpads are infront on the basebar so i am leveraging on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never had an issue myself but I had mine replaced with the V3 version after seeing this thread a year back just as precaution. For me the process was effortless.... I mentioned the issue to my LBS, they already had some knowledge of this via Felt, said Felt would simply send V3 version, they arranged it and swapped it out free while I was getting a regular tune-up. My LBS is a Felt dealer and seem to have good support and a good relationship with Felt. From reading the thread it seems this can be pretty simple with a LBS that is a Felt shop and has good support... seems more of an issue if you're trying to go directly to Felt or even via a non-Felt dealer.
Last edited by: DDMike: Oct 15, 19 5:17
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving this thread. How have the v3s held up? Is felt being more responsive? My clamps just failed and my Felt lbs just went under recently. Emailed felt but have yet to hear back.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Aug 3, 20 21:35
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had this issue occurring with the V3 clamps, so you want them switched.
If you are based in Europe i can set you up with Felt.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine held up great for the ~6 months I used them before switching to a Tririg bar.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Reviving this thread. How have the v3s held up? Is felt being more responsive? My clamps just failed and my Felt lbs just went under recently. Emailed felt but have yet to hear back.

You need to get a local dealer to do it. If you don't have a Felt dealer, then use another shop. Give them all the info they need, so they don't have to look stuff up. Be nice to them, since they don't make any money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So i have three shops working on this and cant seem to get felt to let me know if i can use a non felt shop.

Frustrating paying that kind of money for a bike, their part fails and they wont even communicate with you the bike owner.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
So i have three shops working on this and cant seem to get felt to let me know if i can use a non felt shop.

Frustrating paying that kind of money for a bike, their part fails and they wont even communicate with you the bike owner.

What is it the three shops are 'working on'?? Sourcing the V3 clamps?

I assume you've tried messaging Felt directly (info@feltbicycles.com)?
Maybe try looking at the list of dealers in North America and start contacting some of those to see if any have some replacement V3 clamps in stock?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:

You have 3 shops looking for parts for a 5-6 year old bike?

I'd just buy a new aerobar, something different. There are aluminum systems that are pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't this the part you need?

https://feltbicycles.com/...-for-aero-extensions
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive ridden felt for years and Ive had trouble with the aero bar extension rotating when I hit bumps etc...
Ive removed the "anti crush" spacer hoping to get it a bit tighter and it still slips. Ive added carbon paste etc to no avail. Im thinking about adding a touch of jb weld to see if that will solve the issue.
Im hesitant to buy another clamp on their website fearing itll just do the same thing.
It almost seems like the bolts are bottoming out and not allowing me to tighten them enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you putting anything on the bolts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use the V3 clamps they won’t rotate. Taking out the spacer makes them rotate worse and the clamp will fail. Ask me how I know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm how do you know that? personal experience.....?

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im thinking of just swapping out to some profile aero bars instead of jacking around as much as I have with these.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are still going to need that V3 clamp regardless of the bar you use. Don’t worry they work well. I haven’t heard of anyone who has had issues
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Apr 2, 21 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what I am really doing.

I got felt IA disc integrated bars and I really got sick of slippage and lack of tilting functionality though I want to keep the base one.

So I purchased 12.5mm thick carbon plate (aero-space grade maybe) and machined 10mm ~ 5mm thick adapter plate which also functions as bridge btw two columns.
I also bought 3t aura pro clamp kit (100~110g) on ebay and 10 degree tilt adapter(40g) on speedmetrics.com

The plate goes btw basebar(with 5mm stacker on) and 10 degree tilt kit(on which 3t clamp is bolted).
I also considered PD aeria evo clamp kit seriously for it has own tilting functionality but it is helluva heavy (270g)..
You can also think about getting giant trinity clamp kit for it is quite cheap on 'giantspareparts dot com'(maybe?) and there are tons of 3rd party tilt kit for trinity.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Apr 2, 21 23:49
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bar fail [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You obviously have the newer V3 clamps on yours, surprised to hear you have trouble with slippage, I've never heard of anyone having that issue with the V3 clamps.
Anyway, I recently got a IA disc as well, and decided to go with completely different bar setup. Got the felt dagger stem, Zipp Vuka Aero bars. Very robust feeling and looking, and have some tilt available.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 3, 21 3:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next