Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
Much easier to fit and remove a rider's bike than on a Kickr (something that matters when you are doing frequent bike changes),

You've got to attach the cadence magnet and sensor on the CT, then run all the wires to the headunit.
I'd say that was a major PITA you don't have on a Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:

Much easier to fit and remove a rider's bike than on a Kickr (something that matters when you are doing frequent bike changes),

You've got to attach the cadence magnet and sensor on the CT, then run all the wires to the headunit.

Only if you use crummy software.

The better software reads automatically ANT+ devices such as cadence units, HRM etc (even power meter's power if you prefer) once they've been set up initially.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
should a computrainer studio/class be attended to understand the process and software, or is it easy to learn for a computrainer newbie?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
should a computrainer studio/class be attended to understand the process and software, or is it easy to learn for a computrainer newbie?
There are a lot of variables to answer with that question, no matter what hardware/software combination you use.

I don't personally think it's difficult with the right software (e.g. PerfPro or Trainer Road) and that anyone with a modest level of computer use skill can set it up and get started, and learn the nuances and more advanced features at their own rate. Also, some software providers provide more assistance than others, be it via online support, telephone help, good instruction manuals, video tutorials etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
liversedge wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:

The better software reads automatically ANT+ devices such as cadence units, HRM etc (even power meter's power if you prefer) once they've been set up initially.

RM1 only supports HR, the Computrainer doesn't do ANT+.
The fact another piece of software works with other pieces of hardware isn't relevant.

Again, the reason PerfPro, TraininerRoad, GC etc all work with the CT has *nothing* to do with Racermate, they keep the protocol secret.
It kind of pisses me off that a *positive* for their devices is that I reverse engineered the protocol !!!

Mark
Last edited by: liversedge: Oct 3, 14 0:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
liversedge wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:

RM1 only supports HR, the Computrainer doesn't do ANT+.
The fact another piece of software works with other pieces of hardware isn't relevant.

Again, the reason PerfPro, TraininerRoad, GC etc all work with the CT has *nothing* to do with Racermate, they keep the protocol secret.
It kind of pisses me off that a *positive* for their devices is that I reverse engineered the protocol !!!

Mark

Why would performing the task of unlocking something to make it more useful and/or easier to use piss you off? Did someone hold a gun to your head to do it? Presumably it was a voluntary choice you made.

Since the genie is out of the bottle, presumably the world is permitted to know that you can now readily use ANT+ devices in combination with your CT by using better software than RM1? No need to use clumsy cadence cables etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
Why would performing the task of unlocking something to make it more useful and/or easier to use piss you off? Did someone hold a gun to your head to do it? Presumably it was a voluntary choice you made.

I did it because I had no choice, and lucky for you I did.
I would have preferred to contact the manufacturer and get a document or sdk.
That is what progressive companies like Wahoo are doing.
It is beneficial to them that people work with their devices and they recognise that.
I applaud them for it.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:

It is beneficial to them that people work with their devices and they recognise that.
I applaud them for it.

Mark
Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased you did, but why did you have no choice? Surely the choice not to do it existed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a friend mentioned periodically racermate will offer $200 to 250 discounts on new computrainer systems. can anyone confirm? any idea when or what time of year this would occur?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:

I applaud them for it.

Mark

Mark, were you aware of their plans to "open up" their API ? Will this help at all ?
Is the combination of CT power and Ant+ HR/cadence something that GC will support ?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
http://www.racermate.net/...ilit=spinscan#p22342

ANT+ while capable of updating frequently enough and enough data, the current standard only allows for it to send 4 updates a second. The CT, using a serial connection, has no such limitations on frequency of updates. Again, feel free to consult the link I posted and contact the CT folks if you believe current ANT+ cadence sensors are sending more than 4 updates every second.

The referenced link returns a '404 Not Found' error! Isn't the 4x per second rate set by the profile on the device that is receiving the data? I ask because I seem to recall reading about some guys re-verse engineering the Tacx Bushido's proprietary ANT+ signals and when they pared an SRM with an ANT+ simulator to compare power data, the dump had significantly more data for the sample period than would result from a refresh of only 4-times per second.

Not sure what happened to the link, I had tested it and it was working. Try this one:

www.racermate.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5453&p=22342&hilit=spinscan#p22342
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
mcmetal wrote:

ANT+ while capable of updating frequently enough and enough data, the current standard only allows for it to send 4 updates a second. The CT, using a serial connection, has no such limitations on frequency of updates. Again, feel free to consult the link I posted and contact the CT folks if you believe current ANT+ cadence sensors are sending more than 4 updates every second.

The referenced link returns a '404 Not Found' error! Isn't the 4x per second rate set by the profile on the device that is receiving the data? I ask because I seem to recall reading about some guys re-verse engineering the Tacx Bushido's proprietary ANT+ signals and when they pared an SRM with an ANT+ simulator to compare power data, the dump had significantly more data for the sample period than would result from a refresh of only 4-times per second.

Not sure what happened to the link, I had tested it and it was working. Try this one:

www.racermate.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5453&p=22342&hilit=spinscan#p22342
The answer in that link doesn't make much sense.

For one the question was about displaying cadence using existing ANT+ cadence sensor, not whether spinscan would work.

Secondly, the CT does not require a cadence sensor to do any physics calculations. It does and always will work sans cadence sensor. The wired sensor is only necessary for spinscan, which isn't a particularly useful app in any case.

Thirdly, sampling every 143 ms is only 7Hz, not 400Hz.

400Hz is sampling every 2.5 milliseconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your purchase. You saw a lot of messages about pros and cons (although I did notice that some were based upon some rather old information). In any case, enjoy.

Ultimately either (and other) Trainer can accomplish a lot of similar things. You'll need to figure out what you want to do with it. I was really keen on riding with other folks but once I found some software that'd do that for me I realized that I wasn't really interested.

I have a Computrainer. Had a problem with the load generator, sent it in and it was less than $100 to get it repaired (faulty circuit board). Over this past summer I haven't used it at all but now that we are into Fall and crappy weather (and reduced daylight hours), I'll be setting my Tri bike up on the CT. I originally bought it for my road bike (Ultegra 10 speed) and bought a cheap wheel for the rear and put on a training tire. Never had an issue. When I bought my NP3 Di2 Ultegra 11-speed this year, I again bought a cheap rear wheel and a trainer tire and mounted that.

My plan is to get my setup done and keep the NP3 on the trainer over the winter. If (in the unlikely case), that it gets nice out I'll take the road bike out although it is far more likely I'll take the mountain bike or commute bike out should it get OK.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doubtful over the winter since thats when most are buying trainers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't someone invent an indoor trainer which works and measures power accurately and reliably?

I can walk into almost any gym or rowing club in the world and get on a Concept2 rowing machine and train with accurate reliable power.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
Why can't someone invent an indoor trainer which works and measures power accurately and reliably?

I can walk into almost any gym or rowing club in the world and get on a Concept2 rowing machine and train with accurate reliable power.

What is in your opinion accurate and reliable. Even Concept2 are not.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs KICKR [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
Richard H wrote:

What is in your opinion accurate and reliable. Even Concept2 are not.

I thought Concept2 rowers did measure power accurately due to how they measure deceleration of the flywheel. They only measure power at he flywheel, not power at the handle and don't measure any power on the recovery of the stroke.

I wasn't aware Concept2 were inaccurate, please can you explain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
I wasn't aware Concept2 were inaccurate, please can you explain.
This study might help: https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/2893
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mmmm, worrying. This might explain why I can't produce as much power today as I could a few years ago.

Calls the whole sport of indoor rowing into question. I knew I was faster than Mathew Pincent all along. The machine I bought must have been a duff one.

I can't see the whole download, but are they saying the machine measured at the flywheel wrong or that one rower rowed in a way that although he put the power into the footplate and handle he didn't transfer that power efficiently into the machine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article is already stating it. Kickr also measures directly and is still not accurate around 2% as per Kickr statement. Also SRM (claimed as the golden standard) is not 100% accurate. But does it matter (?) as long as you have repeatable consistency with the equipment you use. For me important is to see the development over time and gather data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It matters to me because I want to compare performance today on one machine against my performance last year, 5 years ago, 15 years ago on different machines in different gyms and labs and compare my performance to others performance.

So I want accuracy and repeatability across the board not just one one machine.

I thought Concept2 did that.
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 5, 14 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a concept2 myself but for me more important is what time did I do over 500mtr-1000-2000-etc instead how many watts did I pull. And by getting older your performances are anyhow going down :-)
Last edited by: Livio Livius: Oct 5, 14 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes but times translate to watts and visa versa and I like to know exactly how much I'm slowing down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:

Define how accurate/reliable. Alternatively take a look at something like: http://www.omega.com/pptst/tq513.html while paying attention to price and make a wild guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
CT has;
- spinscam

I am sure it was a typo but man was that a good one ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next