Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chattanooga 70.3 swim death
Quote | Reply
news reporting someone was pulled from the swim and passed away

Here doing the race and conditions were ideal. 73.7 reported temp and 57 or so air temp so wetsuit was a little warm by the end but was not too hot IMO

Always sad to hear this, condolences to the family
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/outdoors/story/2016/may/22/ironman-participant-dies/366944/

Link button wouldn't work so you have to copy and paste.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
news reporting someone was pulled from the swim and passed away

Here doing the race and conditions were ideal. 73.7 reported temp and 57 or so air temp so wetsuit was a little warm by the end but was not too hot IMO

Always sad to hear this, condolences to the family

It was at the start of the swim. I saw the paramedics going down the dock near the start times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there was a swim warmup available and if he or she took part in it.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

If it's like Chatt Waterfront, no in-water warm-up. You go off the dock one by one.

Athlete's Guide:

Note: The swim start is off limits before and after the event. Training on the course before or after the race is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.

But also:

7. Warm Up on Race Day
• Arrive early enough on race day for a proper warm-up prior to the start, • If you aren’t able to warm up in the water, spend between 5 and 10
minutes getting loose.
• Be sure to do some cardio activity, such as a light jog, to increase
circulation and prep your muscles.

Very sad either way.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: May 22, 16 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

There is no swim start warmup for AG. There is one for pros although appeared to be short
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, honestly... There should be a short swim course set up so that you can't get to the start line of the swim unless you swim a few hundreds yards to a buoy and back first - Barriers set up so there is no way for swimmers to get to the start line on foot. Imagine having to swim to a green buoy and back to get to the start line, at a causal pace. By the race start, you've spend a few minutes swimming, getting used to the motion so it's not such a shock. And if there's an issue, you can easily get out or get help. At swim meets, we'd swim half an hour to warm up to swim 50 yards. Swimming a few minutes easy before swimming hard for half an hour doesn't sound like a bad idea. Oh well... Sad to hear.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Yeah, honestly... There should be a short swim course set up so that you can't get to the start line of the swim unless you swim a few hundreds yards to a buoy and back first - Barriers set up so there is no way for swimmers to get to the start line on foot. Imagine having to swim to a green buoy and back to get to the start line, at a causal pace. By the race start, you've spend a few minutes swimming, getting used to the motion so it's not such a shock. And if there's an issue, you can easily get out or get help. At swim meets, we'd swim half an hour to warm up to swim 50 yards. Swimming a few minutes easy before swimming hard for half an hour doesn't sound like a bad idea. Oh well... Sad to hear.

First of all, really sad to hear about this. Thoughts to family, friend, relatives and co workers. No one expects that on Monday their loved one won't be back.

Your idea about having to "commute to start line" with a short swim detour is exactly what I have proposed several times. I don't understand why this can't be implemented. I have been at numerous WTC races where there was no swim warmup, but if they just made everyone either swim 100-200m to a start line for wave starts (vs on land) or if they made us do a 100-200m detour via water to get back in line for the rolling start it would be really helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I very much agree with the proposal... it's somewhat insane that they continue to not allow athletes to get a little pre-swim considering death in swim portion is on the ride over the last few years. Smaller local races I've done always allowed athletes to swim before, and even in Wildflower there was a 3 min period or so between each waves where you could get in the water. 3 mins is probably not enough to warm up properly, but still it won't be a shock to the body to jump into the water.

I'm not a strong swimmer, but just getting the entire body adjusted to the water temp (especially the face) is pretty crucial for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [gtg007w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtg007w wrote:
I very much agree with the proposal... it's somewhat insane that they continue to not allow athletes to get a little pre-swim considering death in swim portion is on the ride over the last few years. Smaller local races I've done always allowed athletes to swim before, and even in Wildflower there was a 3 min period or so between each waves where you could get in the water. 3 mins is probably not enough to warm up properly, but still it won't be a shock to the body to jump into the water.

I'm not a strong swimmer, but just getting the entire body adjusted to the water temp (especially the face) is pretty crucial for me.

I think it's logistically easier with smaller races as well as shorter races. when you have long distance triathlons and then start adding in more time between waves you start extending the time for an already long race. Not saying it can't be done just I don't think it's that simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

last year there was not. Would a light jog on dry land be as beneficial as in water warmup? Or at least have some benefit?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [gtg007w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtg007w wrote:

I am a very comfortable and reasonably strong swimmer... and I need to get over that initial shock of being in the water too. It's a jolt to your system, no matter how many times you do it. If I can't warm up, I make sure I splash water on my face, dunk my head if possible, do jumping jacks or arm circles for a few minutes to get the heart rate up and arms loose.

Despite doing it several times a week, I still hate the feeling of first jumping in the pool at masters classes. Sucks every time. I would never start a 1 or 2k TT that way in practice... why do it at a race?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not arguing but expanding on your comments.

I know IM a few years ago set out to do an swim safe program that was to include swim warm ups (when available). Of course I guess it's easy to add the * (when available) as the acceptable out for not including it. I'm not sure if you are a race organization why you wouldn't have an swim area/time for any race you put on. Seems to be unacceptable to have the reason "well it's a long day anyways" as your justification for not doing it.

But I'm not a RD, nor want to be one. They have the toughest job, I just don't understand why a RD wouldn't want to include a swim warm up area. Just seems to be a tone deaf move at this point in the swim death issues.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: May 23, 16 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a jumping start (1 by 1) into a nice warm pool and it was a shock to me.

200y swim to swim start area seems awesome. Maybe a little platform out there to stand on waiting for your turn to go. What is the tech challenge of this.. no way to read chip underwater, so would need someone punching your hat# in a computer from a boat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N
ZenTriBrett wrote:

What CLM said. If it was like Chatt Waterfront, 2 things:
1. No warm-up. Time-trial start, get in and go.

2. Not only that, when I got in at the dock, the volunteer guys on the dock helping people get in were yelling "get in! get in!! GO! GO! Go!" to keep the line moving. So, I felt totally rushed. Not a second to do a quick face in the water, dunk my head to get myself mentally situated before going. Nada. I hated that.

Not sure if this was the situation there.

Also, Oceanside 70.3 has you swim out some yards to the start line which is helpful there in what is typically cold water. St. Croix 70.3 you have to swim to the start beach. Even that little bit really helps.
Last edited by: highflyer: May 23, 16 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a way to read chips under water. A couple years ago when a guy decided to call it quits 1/2 way th ought the swim at AG nationals they said they knew he go into the water because of a mat in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
I did a jumping start (1 by 1) into a nice warm pool and it was a shock to me.

200y swim to swim start area seems awesome. Maybe a little platform out there to stand on waiting for your turn to go. What is the tech challenge of this.. no way to read chip underwater, so would need someone punching your hat# in a computer from a boat?

There would be no tech issue. Just have athletes pass over the timing mat on their way to the swim warm up, and you've got them all registered.

I think the main issue is that, for most, after doing a swim warm up they want to spend at least 5-10 mins getting their HRs down before the start of the race. I like to have at least 10 mins. So to make this work and for people to be 'happy' about it you really need:

- guide athletes over a timing mat
- force them to swim 200 yards (out and back) to the starting corral
- have enough space for waves to wait there for 10 mins each before getting back in to the water to start the race

All in all, logistically very hard, unless you have ample beach space and even then you will get some weaker swimmers complaining bitterly that you are forcing them to get in the water earlier than they want to (even though it's for their own good).
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the time trial start is horrible. It is rushed, people are sitting around for hours, you can't go do a warm up job because you have to be in line. Wave group starts allow you to know when your time is, get in a few minutes early....even 3 minutes allows you to acclimate to the water which may help some people out. I am sure the time trial method is easier for the company putting on the race though.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

last year there was not. Would a light jog on dry land be as beneficial as in water warmup? Or at least have some benefit?

Yes and no. I don't think most people are not warming up at all, it's more about the swim warmup and getting your face in the water.

I did a sprint Tri this weekend, water temp was low 60s, I've done over 60 tris maybe over 70 at this point and it was still a shock to my system when I got in the water and my face hit it. It took a good 200 yards for my breathing to be less restrictive. During the swim I was fine but probably wouldn't have been as fine without the warmup. However on the beach/shallow water you had a bunch of people who didn't want to get in because of the water temp, which is the exact opposite of what you want.

Not saying this was the case this past weekend for the 70.3, but its one of the big reasons a lot of people have been advocating for a swim warmup at all races.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - there are many reasons I don't like time trial starts, not least you are not 'racing' people in your age group, which is what I enjoy doing most.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think there is a way to read chips under water. A couple years ago when a guy decided to call it quits 1/2 way th ought the swim at AG nationals they said they knew he go into the water because of a mat in the water.
No, they setup a timing loop just prior to the swim entrance. Loops could be setup over the water in the air and read a chip that passes under it on top of the water, but not sure what that would accomplish and it would be an expensive hassle to do...

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

First of all, really sad to hear about this. Thoughts to family, friend, relatives and co workers. No one expects that on Monday their loved one won't be back.

Your idea about having to "commute to start line" with a short swim detour is exactly what I have proposed several times. I don't understand why this can't be implemented. I have been at numerous WTC races where there was no swim warmup, but if they just made everyone either swim 100-200m to a start line for wave starts (vs on land) or if they made us do a 100-200m detour via water to get back in line for the rolling start it would be really helpful.

I do all of my early season races with zero swim warmups. I jog and do other things to stay warm and get my heart rate up. Have never had an issue
do the swim with this process.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to play devil's advocate, and pardon my ignorance if I'm asking the obvious, but aside discomfort, does anyone know what the actual cause of death is in such instances? What process actually takes place in the human body after it is thrown in cold water, that indeed causes it to collapse? And what would a "warm up" (or any other procedure) actually be doing to prevent that process?

After millions of years of selective breeding, here we are!
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [Irix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irix wrote:
Not to play devil's advocate, and pardon my ignorance if I'm asking the obvious, but aside discomfort, does anyone know what the actual cause of death is in such instances? What process actually takes place in the human body after it is thrown in cold water, that indeed causes it to collapse? And what would a "warm up" (or any other procedure) actually be doing to prevent that process?

Well SIPE is often cited, and I think was the subject of the USAT study. But while I know everyone is different, this water was in no way cold. Nearly 74 degrees, much warmer than the air. I've done Alcatraz 5x and swim in Southern California, and I know cold. This was not it. We are speculating anyway but I'd be surprised if this were related to a cold water issue
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 swim death [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, it was definitely rushed and would have preferred to have the ability to get in a few minutes early to acclimate. Not having a chance to at least get my cap/goggles wet before being pushed into the water would have been nice too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next