Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you using on the back. If I can not sort things out, I will use my EE brake on the back as the cable run is very nice and centered but not as good as say a T726R.

That is exactly what I am going to try to do on the front of my build but I like the integrated CX headset a bit more for a little cleaner look.
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 27, 11 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's the same TRP brake Campy OEM from; the good news is another source to get it like through any Campy dealer
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [ccie1115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccie1115 wrote:
Another source: Campagnolo rear aero brake

I have this installed on my Felt DA. Very happy with it overall, but I only rode it for about a month at the end of the season with a single race. I will try and get some pictures up this weekend to show how I set it up.

If anyone knows of a source for a longer bolt that has the nice rectangular/oval head that recesses so nicely I would like to find one. The bolt that comes from Campy with it is only long enough for a rear brake application, and the only other bolt I had simply had a standard bolt head on it.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack...

How did u get to work on the Bayonet fork/stem?
I'm on a DA as well...

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The brake actually stops the bike now, after Tom A.´s tip to tighten the straddle wire.

The brake is actually designed to go behind the fork so I got one of the guys at work to lop off a bit of the backing plate and redrill the mounting hole. Mounted using the original hole it sat far too low and fouled the front tyre.

Close up to follow.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Oct 27, 11 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ccie1115 wrote:
Sorry to hijack...

How did u get to work on the Bayonet fork/stem?
I'm on a DA as well...

thanks
When I get the pictures up it will be clear.

But in words, I found a brake cable stop that is used on cross bikes that can mount on the fork brake mounting bolt. It takes the spot of the spacer behind the brake itself. I had to grind a little off to get the brake spacing right, but that was the best option when you cannot use the spacer version of the brake cable stop.

I have seen this cable stop on some trek cross bikes recently so maybe look at their catalog, or the brand of mine was Problem Solvers I believe.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Toronto Cycles as I believe they carry ti bolts in that style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was going this route

going to try your way:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
If anyone knows of a source for a longer bolt that has the nice rectangular/oval head that recesses so nicely I would like to find one. The bolt that comes from Campy with it is only long enough for a rear brake application, and the only other bolt I had simply had a standard bolt head on it.

Alternatively, I've seen extra-long recessed nuts that will reach far enough into the fork crown to work with the shorter rear brake bolt.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed the guy at Cycle@Infinity, he will throw in a carbon bottle cage if you buy 2 from him:

Quote:
Aaaaaaah now I know! Haha I did wonder what had happened. So the weakness in the £ is good for some people then. I'm coming out to San Francisco in November so I hope it bounces back a little, although I doubt it. Better tell everyone to get orders in before I go or I won't be shipping till mid December!

If anyone is doing a new bike build and wants 2 brakes I will be happy to throw in a carbon bottle cage to sweeten it a little if they order before I come to the US on November 21st.

Thanks for your email very kind of you to let me know about the post

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:

A standard hex head metric bolt fits in there just fine and the distance across the flats is the same (the other 2 flats sit inside of the oval cutout). The head is also slightly thicker, but there's plenty of room to clear the rear arm still.

At least that's how it worked on my Oval-branded version of the Tektro brake...I just went over to the local hardware store and grabbed the appropriate length metric hex head bolt.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 27, 11 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it does fit and it works just fine. Of course, the fit/finish of the original bolt was better. I had not thought about finding a longer bolt to come through the fork and will look into that option.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple pictures of my setup on the Felt DA. The brake stop piece I purchased needed to be modified a little bit to try and make the cable route from the cable stop into the brake itself a little more in line. So I ended up grinding off some material from it.

The brake is the Campy center pull brake. Very nice so far.

Side View

Front View

If you need a different view or have any other questions, let me know.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing this set up brings up a question. I thought a lot of the aero savings was from the reduced cable housing. Is it a combination of the housing and the smaller frontal area of the brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you get or how did you make the stem cable hanger

Thanks

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice set up.

How well does this brake stop and modulate? For example, in comparison to a 7800-series dura ace caliper?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was there a particular aim for your set-up? i may have missed it somewhere above.
the ONLY benefit of the centre-pull set-up is the absence of cable housing running to the brake. the way you run it you have almost the same length of cable housing, AND extra drag from the cable hanger.
a regular sram red brake (which is smaller than the rival/force brake) with gatorbrake housing would yield less drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woah... wait... what do you call that type of cable hanger?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A mistake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious or pink font?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not use pink font.

It would have been better to run an EE brake which is about the same size but with a better cable run or use a proper cable hanger. My comment was a bit harsh I guess but that set up is totally missing the point and is most likely just worse than a normal brake set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looked up ee brake. I think you'd be better off and save some money with a simkins brake.

And I think that brake with the bolt on cable hanger is probably better than most regular brake set ups. With the cable hanger like that the housing is inline with the fork. Why is that worse than a normal set up?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I have EE brakes so I would not have to buy them but they are smaller than you think and the cable run is great. Yes Simkins would be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRP T925 with Tektro headset cable hanger

Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I am talking about. I figured out how to run the back today so I will now have a center pull brake on the back and front of my new build and the back turned out better than expected.

I see you have your official "anti rattle addition to the vision levers" that is the only thing stoping me from using them on my new build. Well that and I think a return spring would be a better option for dual center pull brake set up.
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 29, 11 22:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next