Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will see soon why the Omega is a better choice than the egg.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following the development of the Omega. It looks great, but I haven't seen a price.

With no real gains to be made from removing the cable housing (he barely has any expose with his setup anyway), what do you think is significantly better about the Omega than the Egg? I haven't actually tried an Egg. Does it not work acceptably?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
I've been following the development of the Omega. It looks great, but I haven't seen a price.

Nick from TriRig posted on their facebook page that it will be under $199 (per caliper). We'll see if that holds up...
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. That's less expensive than I would have predicted, *if* it holds true.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, holding out for the tririg omega ...

I still have around 3 inches of cable exposed (I'm using a zero gravity front so the barrel adjuster is pretty low. Willing to bet it would be the same with the omega. The reason for trying to go w/ a cable stop further up is that I am a bit concerned about messing up the leading edge of the headtube with a cable right in front of it, probably also because I have some OCD!

Anyone have used both a cervelo fk25/26 and a blackwell time bandit? I hope the omega mates up as well with the blackwell as the newer cervelo fork :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I can't answer that just yet. ;^)

There is nothing wrong with the EGG brake. I had them and they worked well.

I also currently have the T726 and they work well.

They both stopped me well and I am not a stick or flyweight.
Last edited by: BMANX: Mar 9, 12 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,
Yea i have made the headset cap and brake combo. Send my your email and i can send you some images. For some reason this forum does like accepting photo uploads.

Ric R
http://www.concept2composite.com
info@http://www.concept2composite.com
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [Riccfs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it should.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riccfs wrote:
Hello,
Yea i have made the headset cap and brake combo. Send my your email and i can send you some images. For some reason this forum does like accepting photo uploads.

You have to host them externally and then you can put an inline link. Try imgur.com
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or tinypic.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can email me at dlau00 (at) gmail.com

I can help you upload pictures too
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
I just saw a great straddle cable hanger and thought of this thread. It's from Velo Orange, who has all kinds of great classic bike stuff. This is apparently a copy of an older hanger, but it's beautiful and much smaller than the large flat pieces of metal that are often used as straddle hangers.

I like Velo Orange (just spent $85 there on my Touring bike) but often their stuff is direct knock offs, higher priced and never in stock! That's a bad trifecta.

You can get the same thing on eBay for $6 free shipping: link

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
staring at that I just had my first, coherent mechanical engineering idea.

duplicate that piece where the pulley can slide up or down a couple CMs, and you have a minimal, simple hanger that can adjust for wheel width/removal easily!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
staring at that I just had my first, coherent mechanical engineering idea.

duplicate that piece where the pulley can slide up or down a couple CMs, and you have a minimal, simple hanger that can adjust for wheel width/removal easily!

Jack, take a look at the one I linked to --- it would be pretty easy to lengthen/ovalize the hole where the cable mounting bolt goes through to do what you are suggesting.

Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used this type of hanger in the past ----- the one issue with it can be that since the straddle wire is not secured to the hanger ----- if one brake arm has a stronger spring or less resistance than the other --- the brake can become off kilter --- sometimes leading to one side rubbing.

Though, this was with old school cantilevers on a muddy cyclocross bike. So...?

Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
how much worse are the old 70's center pulls with some judicious pad replacement? I'm sure I could figure other things to increase their stiffness if need be.

What, you mean like a Mafac Racer? I think you would need a much longer recessed nut for a modern fork, hopefully the LBS will have one.

You´d definitely get extra retro/style points from me. The eyeball collective will probably dislike the ´ears´pointing out into the wind. Replacement pads readily available.

The obvious solution is the old Shimano AX centrepull, but AFAIK replacement pads are non existent and you have to ´shave´down modern ones to fit them in the brake shoes. This was the brake used on the snazzy Trek Project One TT machine, and those guys were looking at every available option.

I looked into this as well ---- thought the Dura Ace Tourney brake was a better option than something like the MAFAC pictured above. My goal was to make a narrower brake by making a new backplate. I was able to narrow it to 67.7mm which is about 2.5mm narrower than the Tektro 725r brake. But in so doing the brake return/springs were kind of messed up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Omega pre-order scheduled for the 23rd - $150

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tektro brake. Cervelo P2.

-----------------------
My Science Blog
"The only fair race is the race against the clock" -Anquetil

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

riccfs headset hangar combo ... doesn't look like it will fit my bike, but a sweet piece if it works for you

excited for the omega brake, front/rear or front only? figure a side pull on the rear would be roughly equivalent, but I am a bit too lazy to piece one together :)
r:)
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be going front and back for sure and will run both with a center pull set up most likely but we will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tri rig brake looks very interesting, but is there any objective information out there about how well it stops? I like trick equipment just as well as the next guy, but for me this is all just for fun, not for fame and glory so I'm really not too interested in sacrificing safety for a handful of watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out his website as I believe he met all of the safety regs and I believe exceeded them as well.

so you do not have to go read it yourself.

Quote:
This just in: the Omega brake is now certified safe to ride under the hardest standards tests in the world (CEN + CPSC), passing the tests easily. This means I can finalize production details and move forward. Expect more news soon.

Last edited by: BMANX: Mar 20, 12 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with what exactly the CEN & CPSC regulations cover. Do they evaluate stopping power AND modulation? For instance, if a brake has very good stopping power but very poor modulation and is grabby, it may not be very safe in the real world due to tendency to pitch over the rider. While I think the tri rig offering appears to be a very impressive effort, what I'm missing from browsing his site is an indication of any independent field testing or independent reviews in advance of offering this to the public.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was tested in coggan's mini wind tunnel, I recall reading that he is going to release a document with the results, but not for a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next