Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He rides a p3 aluminum that he painted black.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jrennie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the RD? Does it have a cover on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going with p3 aluminum with flat black paint. Either wy i do like it. Very clean and nicely done. I was thinking doing my helmet like that. jrennie What paint was used?
In Reply To:

Edit: Lol just saw second page

Last edited by: Bmanners: Jun 20, 12 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jrennie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should seriously pick up 2 X Omega and further clean up the cabling on the back as the front is very clean and paint the bars flat black as well. Stealth bomber. Very cool bike. What about a Virtur bottle mounted as close to the BB as possible (not sure you can actually do that with the old P3) but that would help thing out a bit further.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the magura requires you to use housing all the way to the brake, and requires you to use their brake levers.

The Magura RT TT brake lever is possibly the most aero brake lever in existence. Check out Figure 44 in the P5 white paper.
http://cervelo.com/...ical_White_Paper.pdf

"In the beginning, lever layout was wide open. This is where CFD shines: when physical parts for the wind tunnel don’t exist yet. In the figure below you can see three of the many lever orientations we considered. Initially the small horizontal airfoil shaped lever seemed promising, but the presence of the rider’s arms above the base bar drives the flow downward, preventing the base bar from truly drafting behind the small lever. One seemingly obvious fix is to thicken and enlarge the lever. While increasing the thickness and chord helps the base bar draft, it simply adds back the frontal area on the lever itself. We also considered five concepts with a more traditional lever placement. We chose the fastest lever for the final design: open faced. The open faced lever is simultaneously more ergonomic (the flat bottom of the lever blade is located where you expect it and the broad surface is easier on the fingers than some very thin levers) and has less aero drag: the open face and TrueAeroTM blade profile reduce the turbulence and drag compared to other designs."

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon

if you have time, i would be curious to know why the magura brake would be the fastest from your testing. I have never tested brake lever and my none educated guess would have tell me that

this:

will be a bigger frontal surface than

This:

thank you for sharing!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 bbq paint flat black from home depot.

Thanks for the suggestions Bmanx. I've always had issue with the rear cabling. I'd like to do the BB mount modification but never got around to it. Didn't someone test the modolo along with hooker, delta etc against the omega? That might be a better way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about when you position setup is such that arms are narrow(touching all the way back) does this not preclude pushing air down over a lever that is completely outside the arms?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Damon

if you have time, i would be curious to know why the magura brake would be the fastest from your testing. I have never tested brake lever and my none educated guess would have tell me that

this:

Wasnt there a oval concepts fork hatwas designed something like the Rtt8 brake? At leas tthat is what the lever reminds me of when i look at it.

will be a bigger frontal surface than

This:

thank you for sharing!
In Reply To:

Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We didn't test that, so I don't know, sorry!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but the paper kind of implies that that sort of brake lever is slower because the arms force the air down, in essence leading one to believe bars like the tula/R1 might not be so aero. (I am reading a lot into this for you :)

can you say what width arm spacing you used to model the brake levers and what width the levers were to come to your conclusion?
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasnt there a oval concepts fork hatwas designed something like the Rtt8 brake? At leas tthat is what the lever reminds me of when i look at it.

I think that the oval fork was designed to remove the pressure drag created by the wheel moving through the front fork. This was the reason that the hed3 had issues with narrow forks, and never tested as well with the narrow forks. Also, if I am remembering correctly, the blackwell slots were in the correct orientations; but the first generation of oval forks did it wrong and put them in the wrong direction (as least this is what I remember folks talking about at the time).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
and a base bar - Thunderbear rocked them at Kona at least once.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

brewerbry what cable hanger did you use? for some reason when mine was that bottom spacer it was hitting on the frame of my bike, thats why its the second spacer. it looks like yours has more of an angle to it so it clears the frame.

sorry for the dark second pic, i should have set it up against the wall instead of having the treadmill in the background.
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [SC_NICK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

and

Damn it. Mine are still with the courier on the way to the UK. I am going to get banned from UPS website soon for taking up their bandwidth with all the refreshing.

Easy to install?

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Last edited by: chrisbint: Jul 2, 12 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got two of them on the evening before the state time trial championship and they both worked =)

takes a little work centering and setting the height of the brake, and making sure the cable is taught. Not too bad though, I got it done and I am not a great mechanic.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the cable hanger on the P3 standard? I understand (or might be wrong) that the omega does not need one, but that sure looks cleaner than the lower picture.

Looks great =)

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, that is an FSA IS-CX headset, which comes with a hanger in the dustcap. pretty nice set up, but it is a tall dustcap.

the p2 needs that housing shortened, that would clean it up a bit.

chrisbint wrote:
Is the cable hanger on the P3 standard? I understand (or might be wrong) that the omega does not need one, but that sure looks cleaner than the lower picture.

Looks great =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is going on a P2. I was probably going to find a suitable cable hanger to make it more like your P3 installation. I assume that is a possibility and you decided not to for other reasons?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used what I think is a standard hanger from problem solvers - the difference might be that I have an XL and yours looks smaller (based on a shorter head tube)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
Mine is going on a P2. I was probably going to find a suitable cable hanger to make it more like your P3 installation. I assume that is a possibility and you decided not to for other reasons?

Yes, the same headset will work on the p2, I just have not purchased one, and after seeing Andy's data on the housing vs cable I probably won't bother.

Quote Reply
Re: Center pull brake set ups. Lets see them [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too funny, i think you were replying to me, if you were not, please forgive me. i though YOUR bike looked smaller, mine is an xl as well. i used a trektro hanger but it does look like the problem solver hangers would work nicer.

thanks!
Last edited by: SC_NICK: Jul 2, 12 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
chrisbint wrote:

Yes, the same headset will work on the p2, I just have not purchased one, and after seeing Andy's data on the housing vs cable I probably won't bother.

Right, but do remember, this is Triathlon and for that reason, I must make it more complicated. =D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy's data is with a ROUND 'head tube' and not an airfoil one, so maybe there is a millisecond to be saved =)

chrisbint wrote:
Right, but do remember, this is Triathlon and for that reason, I must make it more complicated. =D

Quote Reply

Prev Next