Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runobx wrote:
Thought this might be interesting on my IA experience.

I wrecked my Felt frame last week and got insurance money for my frame about $2500. This eliminated me from using the Felt crash replacement program. I was talking to my LBS, no names given, about just getting a frame. They told me what I could get and prices. I decided to ask about a new full bike. I said all I wanted was a 54cm frame, Ultegra 11 speed components and I needed power. They had nothing that met my needs in house, said they could get the ones off of Felts website, 2014 models of the DA. I then said do you have anything better then what I want. He told me they had 3 IA framesets in the back, but they were instructed to sell them only as full bike builds, so he told me I could do a "custom build" on the IA frame. I said I would be very very interested, especially after hearing the IA limitability. I told him I wanted the Ultegra front/rear derailleur, crank, TT shifters and brake levers, chain cassette, then a cheap training set of wheels. Brakes, cockpit, and saddle come with the IA bike frame per the website and what he told me. He said he would call back with a price later after he figured it out, I already had I price in my head since I had done the math. I was expecting around $8500 maybe even less. He calls back and says $10k. I said I will let him know, but was laughing in my head, because on Felts website the IA FRD is $10k.

Major difference in what the IA FRD has and what I was asking for.
IA FRD-My Build
Aero Wheels-Training Wheels
Dura Ace Di2 Components- Ultegra Mech components
Vision Tri max Carbon- Ultegra Crank

I understand that building a custom bike is going to cost way more then buying a full bike Felt puts together, but I don't see the logic behind this. I just do not see how they will sell these frame sets this way, I am sure so heavy pockets that rides 15mph will walk in and buy one. Yes I am frustrated and thought I would type away on here.

Opinions?

3 frame sets in back. Whaaa?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Sprattman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprattman1 wrote:
runobx wrote:
Thought this might be interesting on my IA experience.

I wrecked my Felt frame last week and got insurance money for my frame about $2500. This eliminated me from using the Felt crash replacement program. I was talking to my LBS, no names given, about just getting a frame. They told me what I could get and prices. I decided to ask about a new full bike. I said all I wanted was a 54cm frame, Ultegra 11 speed components and I needed power. They had nothing that met my needs in house, said they could get the ones off of Felts website, 2014 models of the DA. I then said do you have anything better then what I want. He told me they had 3 IA framesets in the back, but they were instructed to sell them only as full bike builds, so he told me I could do a "custom build" on the IA frame. I said I would be very very interested, especially after hearing the IA limitability. I told him I wanted the Ultegra front/rear derailleur, crank, TT shifters and brake levers, chain cassette, then a cheap training set of wheels. Brakes, cockpit, and saddle come with the IA bike frame per the website and what he told me. He said he would call back with a price later after he figured it out, I already had I price in my head since I had done the math. I was expecting around $8500 maybe even less. He calls back and says $10k. I said I will let him know, but was laughing in my head, because on Felts website the IA FRD is $10k.

Major difference in what the IA FRD has and what I was asking for.
IA FRD-My Build
Aero Wheels-Training Wheels
Dura Ace Di2 Components- Ultegra Mech components
Vision Tri max Carbon- Ultegra Crank

I understand that building a custom bike is going to cost way more then buying a full bike Felt puts together, but I don't see the logic behind this. I just do not see how they will sell these frame sets this way, I am sure so heavy pockets that rides 15mph will walk in and buy one. Yes I am frustrated and thought I would type away on here.

Opinions?

3 frame sets in back. Whaaa?

51,54, 56 cm all sitting! while we all want them so badly!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

My LBS says the next availability for them will be 2015 frames for this summer.

Any difference in the frameset or full bike builds on the 2015 models from. 2014?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a crock of sh!z... If they are holding frames without allowing people to put their own components on them Felt should step in. This bike is hard enough to get that a shop milking customers for higher end builds is stupid. Why would Felt care if it was sold as a "complete bike".
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am frustrated with felt and their lack of communication and customer service. My LBS hasn't been able to shed any light on the issue, nothing on the felt website and nothing here. Why would I expect better customer service after delivery if there is an issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
What a crock of sh!z... If they are holding frames without allowing people to put their own components on them Felt should step in. This bike is hard enough to get that a shop milking customers for higher end builds is stupid. Why would Felt care if it was sold as a "complete bike".

I agree with this statement, it is dumb they are holding these frame and basically not wanting to sell them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [kwolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll share my 2 cents here...
To me it sounds like this has less to do with Felt and more to do with that LBS. I put my deposit on a 54cm 6 months ago and was told by my LBS (Run by a great guy) expect to have your bike in March, fingers crossed. The IA's arrived in Canada just over a week ago and my LBS received his IA's last week. There are only 10 IA's in all of Canada and all 3 that are in BC came to my LBS. 1 full build for a local pro and 2 frame set's, one is mine and the other for another AG'r. I am completely customizing my build and there are zero issues with this. This was my initial agreement made several months ago with my LBS.

On a side note, I was planning on bringing all my components to my LBS to get the build complete this weekend, but I found out last night Felt forgot to put the base bars in the 2 frame sets when they were sent... : (
LBS said Felt is on it and will give him an ETA on Monday as to when the base bars will arrive...
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [Sukester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I put down a deposit and ordered my 56 cm frame in November- approx 6 months ago and received it yesterday. It was always a frame I had purchased.

No issues w shop or anything - just wait time.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [wds3825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wds3825 wrote:
I am frustrated with felt and their lack of communication and customer service. My LBS hasn't been able to shed any light on the issue, nothing on the felt website and nothing here. Why would I expect better customer service after delivery if there is an issue?

Pardon me for not going back and reading every post to find the issue you allude to here. What exactly is the problem you are having?
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First let me say I'm not angry just perplexed. I ordered a bike frame over 6 months ago and today I can't get anybody to give me the first clue when I will have it. First it was early in the year, then sometime in March, then April and today April 14th I don't have it, the LBS has no clue, the local Felt rep hasn't can't or won't shed light on it and there is nothing on the website except advertising to sell more Felt IAs which I was told were sold out when I tried to up my purchase from a frame set to the complete bike. I'm sure there are a boat load of reasons that I as the consumer and customer don't care to hear. What I have seen is over promise and no delivery which is one step below over promise and under deliver AND CONTINUED ADVERTISING. So, why should I or others expect anything different once Felt has the sale and the money?

Before the slowtwitch blog-a-sphere goes spider monkey on me for this post, you asked for specifics. As well, I would be interested to know which part of my answer to your question is not true.

One post from August 16th, Consumer versions should start to arrive in the fall starting with the 54cm size.
A post from November says, Since there is no risk on my part, I'll say the bikes should arrive December 18th. It would be exceptional and a big failure for Felt and for me personally if the delivery of the IA was postponed until February.

Any idea when I will have my frame?
Last edited by: wds3825: Apr 14, 14 11:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runobx wrote:
they were instructed to sell them only as full bike builds, so he told me I could do a "custom build" on the IA frame.

I can understand that a dealer would want to maximize the return on their investment of buying 3 of the IA framesets to stock at their store. That is quite a risk to take on such high end inventory. I am impressed. The instruction must come from the shop ownership/management however as Felt Bicycles has no such policy.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wds3825 wrote:
First let me say I'm not angry just perplexed. I ordered a bike frame over 6 months ago and today I can't get anybody to give me the first clue when I will have it. First it was early in the year, then sometime in March, then April and today April 14th I don't have it, the LBS has no clue, the local Felt rep hasn't can't or won't shed light on it and there is nothing on the website except advertising to sell more Felt IAs which I was told were sold out when I tried to up my purchase from a frame set to the complete bike. I'm sure there are a boat load of reasons that I as the consumer and customer don't care to hear. What I have seen is over promise and no delivery which is one step below over promise and under deliver AND CONTINUED ADVERTISING. So, why should I or others expect anything different once Felt has the sale and the money?

Before the slowtwitch blog-a-sphere goes spider monkey on me for this post, you asked for specifics. As well, I would be interested to know which part of my answer to your question is not true.

Consumer versions should start to arrive in the fall starting with the 54cm size. A quote from a post from "super Dave " back in the late summer.
Any idea when I will have my frame?
First off, thanks for choosing a Felt, especially the IA.

I'm sorry for the delay and apparent lack of communication and clarity on the delivery of your new bike.

I still don't know who you are, where you live, when you purchased your frame, from which shop, who you spoke with, the size, the model. Those details can be helpful in tracking your purchase down. Indeed 54cm frames began mass production as I expected in the fall. We postponed release because some of the parts for the bikes made here in North America needed to be delivered through different channels than our Asia-made components and I failed to anticipate every possible slow-down in that process. The IA are shipping in earnest to our dealers. We continue to advertise the IA because there are dealers that have them in their building(s) available for sale. The exposure on our site and advertisements continue to drive consumers to those outlets. We will continue to produce the IA next year as well so the campaign serves more than just one model year. There are no plans to change the IA FRD in 2015 so the images and marketing materials will be relevant for the foreseeable future.

I won't guess as to why you personally don't have your frame or bike yet; indeed there could be a boatload of reasons. If you care to provide specifics, I'll assist in any way that I can to track it down.

Help me help you.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [freddieso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
freddieso wrote:
Hi Dave,
My LBS says the next availability for them will be 2015 frames for this summer.
Any difference in the frameset or full bike builds on the 2015 models from. 2014?
Thanks

It's a bit early to start the chatter on 2015 plans but the IA FRD frameset will be unchanged for 2015.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
I probably shouldn't mention it but we decided this year to start cutting the extensions per size. They used to be 350mm uncut out of the box but dealers grew tired of having to cut them for 97% of consumers and would often leave them uncut creating an unsightly mess up front.

I've suggested a couple times to guys that swap wheels between race and training wheels a couple times a month in season to just leave the covers off in training trim.

Grab a couple bolts for the covers and match them up to McMaster-Carr's site or even your local hardware store. They are not custom bolts, just standard counter sunk SUS308 material IIRC.

Looks like a 56cm, right?

Enjoy,
-SD

Thanks Dave - yep, I have a great hardware store a couple of blocks from the house that has never let me down - I will bet they will have or can get the screws. And that is exactly what the LBS said about the extensions - hasn't been a a huge issue and I am getting used to riding with my hands a little looser up front - I might even decide I like it. And its a 54cm - pretty sure it shipped in the first batch as it showed up just a couple of days after you mentioned it here that they were in transit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
runobx wrote:
they were instructed to sell them only as full bike builds, so he told me I could do a "custom build" on the IA frame.

I can understand that a dealer would want to maximize the return on their investment of buying 3 of the IA framesets to stock at their store. That is quite a risk to take on such high end inventory. I am impressed. The instruction must come from the shop ownership/management however as Felt Bicycles has no such policy.

-SD

Yep, that is the route my LBS took as well: they ordered several of the complete LTD bike (6 in all, I think) and that is how they sold them: no parting them out or switching stuff out like they might normally. 5 were pre-ordered. I went in for a fitting in February, and while I was very interested in the IA, I intended to get a p5 as I wanted a new bike this season and I knew from this thread and my LBS that the IA's were all probably done for the year. Two days after my fitting the LBS called up and said they thought one of their pre-orders was getting cold feet. I jumped on it, but as-is, complete. LBS told me at that time it would probably be April at the earliest before it showed up. Then got a surprise email about 3 or 4 days later saying it would be in the shop in two days - it was the only 54cm they ordered and it was actually the first one they were getting. When it came in I went in and immediately picked up the Mavic wheels and ebay'd them, and didn't think a thing about it as I wanted the bike now rather than sometime next year. As of last week the LBS currently has another sitting on its showroom floor (the only one that wasn't a pre-order) I think it is a 56cm LTD, if anyone is interested.

At any rate - good luck to all that continue to wait - it will be well worth it once you get it. It is solid, well engineered, well designed machine. Felt has gotten so much right with this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to say how awesome it is to have Dave as a resource on this forum. I've had many conversations about the IA with him directly and my guess is it goes way beyond his job description. Hopefully I'll be able to get the IA sorted out once the 58s are available. Either way I'm a big fan of Felt and will keep them at the top of my list when considering bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
I just want to say how awesome it is to have Dave as a resource on this forum. I've had many conversations about the IA with him directly and my guess is it goes way beyond his job description. Hopefully I'll be able to get the IA sorted out once the 58s are available. Either way I'm a big fan of Felt and will keep them at the top of my list when considering bikes.

CHEERS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help me. I'm a little slow. If I want to buy a complete bike from a local shop right now, will they simply be able to order one? Is an order window not open now? If that is the case, when is the next run and can I Pre-order? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this thing
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
Help me. I'm a little slow. If I want to buy a complete bike from a local shop right now, will they simply be able to order one? Is an order window not open now? If that is the case, when is the next run and can I Pre-order? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this thing

Looks like pre-order for 2015 is your only option unless you can find a dealer that actually ordered one to have in store stock.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
For what it's worth, I put down a deposit and ordered my 56 cm frame in November- approx 6 months ago and received it yesterday. It was always a frame I had purchased.

No issues w shop or anything - just wait time.

Happy for you that you received yours. Mine is expected next week

Is the DrinkPac in there or the possibility to put in a shiv-like bladder.

I just wondered since none of the new owners mentioned this anymore and it was a feature when just introduced.

Thanks for letting us know.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No drink system - just a storage unit.

I got my frame and dropped it off at local bike shop so I barley saw it. Will have it in hand come Monday / Tuesday. I do know that the TINY screws that are used for the aero covers for the front brake and aero bar top-cap seem very very small and could be problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi SD,

Do you know when the IA 56cm framesets will hit Western Australia, have ordered mine through Total Tri.

Thanks Dan Clausen
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Felt IA FRD [ihavenochain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ihavenochain wrote:
Hi SD,

Do you know when the IA 56cm framesets will hit Western Australia, have ordered mine through Total Tri.

Thanks Dan Clausen

What did Total Tri tell you? They'll likely have more accurate information than I have at the moment. I can assure you that 56cm frames are through production but I'd need some time to look into every destination they've reached thus far.

-Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi SD, they have been saying it's on it's way to Australia for the last four-five weeks, they do not accurately know where it is or when it will arrive either.
Ordered the frame in November but my urgency is driven by me wanting the bike for a race in two weeks.
If you can find any specifics on the delivery times to West Australia it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Quote Reply

Prev Next