Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

>Sadly I can't believe that what we saw today was ligit.

Yeah, I'm kind of with you. I could live with Wiggins and Froome, maybe. But now Porte being the 2nd best climber in the world is just a bit much.

On the other hand, it looks like Contador and Schleck are clean(er).

And the entire Garmin team looks as clean as ever.

And the entire Garmin team looks as clean as ever

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
rruff wrote:

But just because someone is crushing the competition doesn't mean they are doping.

No it certainly doesn't but it does raise eyebrows. Froome was faster up that climb than the doped up Lance in 2003. I guess it's all about the technology...

Someone sure. look at Bob Beamon, still an off the charts performance even if he did it today and only rudimentary doping was around then, but 3 guys on an entire team suddenly way out performing anything they every did prior to coming to that team? If it was training why the poor performance up to the Tour?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Wiggins was outed last year IMO. Coming from mediocrity, his performances all year were insane. And his attitude about being queried regarding doping was even worse than Lance... even after all the shit went down, and of *course* everyone was suspicious. And the fact that he basically sucks this year doesn't help either. Some special dope that is good for 12 months and then it doesn't work anymore?

On the other hand, Froome's attitude appears to be quite good, so at least he has that going for him.

But just because someone is crushing the competition doesn't mean they are doping. Look at Eddy's performances, and that was before any of the good dope existed. For several years he dominated pretty much everything.

Or even look at Lance. All of his competition was doping too... we know that. And still he won 7 TdFs in a row... which is frickin phenomenal.

Use your brain here. Compare the climbing not to riders today but to totally doped up riders of ten years ago, who used dope that gives an absolutely huge performance gain. Eddy using low-grade dope like amphetimines, which are detrimental in the heat, is irrelevant.

Didn't the fall of Armstrong teach anyone to use critical thinking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
AmaDablam wrote:
They don't call them UK Postal for nothing.

#tooobvious.

Sadly I can't believe that what we saw today was ligit.

Today? We had the fastest EVER TTT and now this? Where have I seen this show before? Fool me once....

And I read all the "reasons" the TTT was the fastest, all I have to say is..... whatever...

This sport is a farce, and what is sad is doping will always dog this sport, especially on days/weeks like this.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
BLeP wrote:
AmaDablam wrote:

#tooobvious.

Today? We had the fastest EVER TTT and now this? Where have I seen this show before? Fool me once....

And I read all the "reasons" the TTT was the fastest, all I have to say is..... whatever...

This sport is a farce, and what is sad is doping will always dog this sport, especially on days/weeks like this.

The TTT was short, has there been one that short before? I really have no idea. I thought that the TTTs were usually more like 50k.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
AmaDablam wrote:

#tooobvious.

as LA himself would say: Not Normal.

i see somewhere that says Froome did 6.3 w/kg on the final climb. If so, that's serious highly suspicious territory. With the heat and the altitude.

OTOH, i'm surprised that Contador blew a gasket and had to be paced up...
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
OTOH, i'm surprised that Contador blew a gasket and had to be paced up...

Maybe he doesn't want to get popped for the frisky sauce again and is actually clean-ish this year.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>And the entire Garmin team looks as clean as ever

What, you think they're not clean, or are you in on my little Garmin joke. If they're doping, they need a "Doping - you're doing it wrong" meme poster showing <insert your favorite Garmin rider> cracking in a critical moment.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They may well be clean now, but clean as ever? Pick one.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't seem to be paying attention to what I wrote. I lost faith in a clean sport over 10 years ago, and typically I make fun of people who are naive about the reality of the situation. I don't think they are clean... I doubt any of the top guys are.

I think looking at VAM and getting your panties in a twist is particularly silly. If you really want to *kill* a sport, then use *performance* as your primary gauge of illegal activity. 2 year suspension for VAMs over 1700!... or some such nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to make accusations, but I will say that Sky's performance today was very reminiscent of US Postal's domination of the first mountain stage in a number of tours. Interesting that Sky's "domestiques" were able to burn off the entire peloton save for 5 or 6 other riders...

Spot

Quote | Reply
I wish people would stop minimizing the role that Eddy played in the doping arms race. EPO came after the attitude and culture of doping already existed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how about Peter Kennaugh? Spent most of 2012 on the track and today punches tickets of former TdF champs and pure climbers. Sure...
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
I wish people would stop minimizing the role that Eddy played in the doping arms race. EPO came after the attitude and culture of doping already existed.

I wish people would stop trying to make an equivalence between Armstrong and Merckx.

Laurent Fignon said it best. "Here's the truth in two sentences. In my day, doping methods were derisory and the riders' exploits were massive. For the last fifteen years or so, it has been the other way around: there is a huge number of ways in which riders can dope and any exploits are derisory."
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And how about Peter Kennaugh? Spent most of 2012 on the track and today punches tickets of former TdF champs and pure climbers. Sure...

yep.

i tried to explain to my friend who Kennaugh is. My friend said: Kiryenka, i've heard of him; who's Kennaugh?

on the plus side, we still have the WC in Firenze this year to look forward to, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus the Vuelta, I guess. And perhaps the green and polka dot jerseys in what's going to be an otherwise boring ass TdF.

Brailsford looks to be the second coming of Johan after his tired explanation / excuse (take your pick) about why Froome refused to share power data. Now we know.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 6, 13 19:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Even if Froome did share power data, where would it get us? We don't need to see wattage to know that he and Porte road away from everyone like it was no big deal. If the power data was released, I bet it would show that Froome and Porte road a significantly higher W/Kg than anyone, which I think we already know

2) If these guys are doping, what are they using/doing?

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Transparency, like they have nothing to hide. It's not just race data but also training.

Brailsford said one of the reasons the they don't share is because people parse it and draw conclusions. Instead, they pull off nearly miraculous performances and people still draw conclusions. They had the chance to buffer speculation now sure to come their way from media, and the last thing I want to hear is any of them crying about it as a result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Plus the Vuelta, I guess. And perhaps the green and polka dot jerseys in what's going to be anmotherwise boring ass TdF.

Brailsford looks to be the second coming of Johan after his tired explanation / excuse (take your pick) about why Froome refused to share power data. Now we know.

thank goodness Sky hasn't figured out the Classics, yet.

otherwise we can expect a lot of this nonsense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rZphEtzSM

-----

i also just realized that Brian Cookson is the head of British Cycling, which is known to have really close ties with Sky. If he were to become the new UCI overlord, well, same as the old guy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
i see somewhere that says Froome did 6.3 w/kg on the final climb. If so, that's serious highly suspicious territory. With the heat and the altitude.

Where'd that number come from? How was it measured?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VAM estimates. in otherwords, estimates

but the VAM, compared to VAM from last year's Planche des Belle Fille climb, raises questions, to say the least
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 6, 13 21:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're an ejit....you need to use your brain a lot better. All you are doing are comparing times...Fuck it then, Bolt is doped, as is TGay, as was Radcliffe and every one else that has broken a WR recently and run faster than known doped times like Ben Johnson's, Carl Lewis' (yes he was) and the Chinese athletes. You notice the flags at the summit on the HC climb today...wicked tailwind for the last stretch (most important stretch as the summit is where the wind will be the strongest often and most exposed). That is one variable you have overlooked...wind direction and strength, humidity, sunny or overcast (it maybe 30C both times but 30C and shady is not the same as 30C and bluebird). Another is the fact this is the first mountain stage of the TdF...I know for a fact, that LA did his on the 3rd day of mountains (albeit with a rest day). On podium cafe, it was mentioned that LA did AX3 at the beginning of the stage...if you watch any cycling you know that GC guys do not bang it out on the first climb of the day (believe he had another 2 major climbs to come)....and he looked like he was out for a sunday cycle. Now I know CF looks awful on a bike anyway, but even he looked like he was on the rivet for that final climb. So that is another variable conveniently overlooked by the denser among you...context of the climb (first mountain of the day, summit finish, day # of mountain stage sequence, when it falls in the Tour i.e. some years they hit the Alps first then the Pyrenees, other years (like this one) it is the opposite, etc, etc). Also, length of time riding solo...so much of Sky's success is loading a team with expensive domestiques pounding out a metronomic pace, eventually leaving the GC guy alone for the last couple km. Tell me which is easier to run a 5k in 'xx'min...Fartlek or even pace running? Guys like Contador basically did/do Farltek up a mountain, and people like Wiggo can't do it, same as most can't do it like the Kenyans did back in the 80s during steeplechase races. However, they can still climb a mountain at the same speed (or faster) otherwise. Plus, there is still a drafting effect at their speeds. Plus, speed & difficulty of stage prior to climb (and stages beforehand)...today there was only one big climb (admittedly done at a decent pace) and a lot of flat beforehand, but with a very long descent before final climb (good recovery time). Road surface...anyone who spends time in the mountains knows that mountain roads get destroyed quickly...so was the climb done on freshly laid tarmac, or was it a couple years old and thus likely rougher and cracked more, etc, (weather also comes) or is/was it a different surface altogether e.g. concrete, chipseal, etc. Another variable is weight of rider...guys like Wiggo dropped a lot of weight so this has to be taken into account when comparing the results and using them...this is also the case for including their focus i.e. so and so is concentrating on the track this year for the Olympics or the WC TT or the Giro, thus his performance at the Tour on Ventoux will be expected to be x amount slower, etc, etc. Finally, as in EVERY single athletic sport, we have seen advances due to better training (as well as nurturing from younger ages), diet, equipment, etc. There really wasn't too much special about today except that Conta was shit, Andy was rubbish as most suspected he would be, Cadel continuing where he left off last year (with a minor hiccup with a good Giro...but he has a Giro in his legs), JRod was crap as he always is on big mountains. However, guys like Valverde, Ten Dam, Talansky, Mollema, Kreuziger (a domestique beating his GC leader Conta says it all about how bad Conta was and not so special Froome was) and co were where you would expect them to be with respect to time. This is another variable that should be included in any analysis...performance relative to other riders (and 'your') norm (i.e. you would need to profile each ride throughout a racer's career (e.g. on an average day with 30C temps, headwind, 3rd day of mountains, etc, etc (injuries need to be noted and most recent races/climbs giving a higher weighting), we could expect him to do this climb in 45 min average) and thus be able to generate an expected performance for any given race and relative to others). That is what is so shit about the 'Not Normal? An insight into doping and the 21 biggest riders from LeMond to Armstrong to Evans'' book/article thing and all the 'The Science of Sport' stuff...completely rubbish science that would be rejected (or require heavy revisions) if it went to a decent/OK (e.g. 'impact factor' above 5 at min) peer reviewed journal. It is fine to just blog about it and say this and that but don't try to present it as anything but an opinion based on bad data (even if it is the best you can hope for with the resources available (data/money/time)) i.e. not what the Science of Sport guys do...almost all of their arguments end with 'but it is still worthwhile to have a look' and the whole site is trying to pass it off as good scientific analysis. Who cares about all those variables you are omitting, with these 3 they are cheating mofos. I wish my industry worked like that...might have a lot of dead people but hey it looked good at the time after my few experiments done and ignoring 80% of the data/variables....what do you mean I need to use the same dose/weight, genetic strain of mice, vehicle, age of mice, sex, etc, etc, to make a robust scientific conclusion from my results...oh and I can't omit those ones, but they don't fit in, it's not significant otherwise? I can't believe that, can you?...well, of course you can, it seems.

Who is the idiot as well that said these Sky guys (domestiques) came into the TdF having done nothing before the Tour this year...Richie Porte has basically come second to CF in every 'one week' stage race prior to TdF this year as well as winning a couple, who was heavily headhunted to become a GC guy at other teams but he chose to stay at Sky, in return he will get to lead next year, probably at the Giro. He was amazing last year as well. Kennaugh has an excellent track background as a pursuiter, Olympic and World Champion, and that is basically what he did today...short stint, massive effort then blow up. Not only that, he also has a decent road background for a young rider...4th at U23 World Road Race Championships, 5th overall at Tour of Pologne (a UCI ProTour race), 3rd overall at Route du Sud (won by Quintano last year...the dude that everyone rightly salivates over as the future, at least as a climber) and won by Kiryienka (Movistar) the year Kennaugh was 3rd...oh, where have we heard that name recently, yep that's it, he was the dude that is now banging out the tempo for sky before Kennaugh takes over (like today) who also has an excellent palmares for a domestique...2nd overall Criterium Internationale, top 10s overall at prestigious races like Dauphine, Murcia, Basque Country, Austria, etc, as well as 3rd overall last year at the World TT Championships and a 6th prior to that, plus a couple of Giro stage wins. Then you have the more well known names like Geraint Thomas (crocked at mo with fractured pelvis, still riding, crazy), Eddy BH and Stannard...all power and more suited towards the Classics but good for short bursts. Can't believe anyone can think Team Sky just shows up for the TdF.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Magwister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a ton of typing just to troll this thread. Vam is an estimate but it's close enough, even with a tailwind you get back maybe 30 watts. And they all got it. So 1800 vs 1770? Still not normal.

You can throw a lot of garbage out there but in the end he did something today only doped riders have done before and no one else in the peloton was capable of other than his own teammate whom so far as I can find has never done an 8% grade for 20 minutes that shreds the peloton . And for a reactant was only 10th over ax so it's not like he was terrible. I'm not stating he's a doping I'm saying it's its a historically powerful ride that put in context raises eyebrows.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Magwister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it that the idjits are usually barely literate?

Look into the use of paragraphs some time, dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disappointing! You just got schooled and that's the best response you can come up with. Shameful.
Quote Reply

Prev Next