Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [53x12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so we all don’t lose perspective in comparing...one did accelerate for few seconds the other for much longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was posted day before Ventoux. Not sure if anyone else posted this link yet or not so apologize if it's duplicate. Lots of good info in here.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2013/07/mont-ventoux-preview-looking-forward-by.html

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the exact numbers on how long each accelerated for? Froome did quite a rocket boost away from Contador to bridge the gap to Quintana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXx-wNEXeg

Then Froome did another monster pull away from Quintana. So what exactly are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Ahillock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c'mon Phil!
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contador is one determined SOB

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Mollema really wait for Contador?? That's what the live text updates said. Whaddup wid dat?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome in Polka Dot too ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next up, mountain TT

TT bike? road bike? road bike with clipons?

Perhaps the 2nd most common ST question ever right after "I weight this much and go this fast what wheel should I use?" is what bike to use in a hilly event.

What will the pros do?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AC has been and still is my fav rider. "Quit" isn't in his lexicon. Although at some point Saxo is probably better served to ride for Kreuizinger's final GC position.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
AC has been and still is my fav rider. "Quit" isn't in his lexicon. Although at some point Saxo is probably better served to ride for Kreuizinger's final GC position.

Check it out, Froome is annoyed because Contador is so awesome:

http://www.velonation.com/...escent-into-Gap.aspx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

Hey Froome, just because you're winning (or will win), that doesn't make you the Boss. IMO, Contador commands FAR more respect in the peloton. Don't bitch that he plays to win even if the win is unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Through this Tour I've become less and less a fan of Froome. Guess he thinks people should just sit up and take it easy so that he can safely cruise into Paris since he has a lead?

I'll get flamed for this, but call it a gut feeling that something in his expression doesn't look sincere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's what happens when you come out of nowhere after years of being unable to climb and hanging off motos..... you don't get any respect in the peleton.

Carl Spackler wrote:
Through this Tour I've become less and less a fan of Froome. Guess he thinks people should just sit up and take it easy so that he can safely cruise into Paris since he has a lead?

I'll get flamed for this, but call it a gut feeling that something in his expression doesn't look sincere.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The elastic stretched but didn't snap on the climb"
Well said from the linked article.
jackmott wrote:

http://www.truckeecyclocross.com
California
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Next up, mountain TT

TT bike? road bike? road bike with clipons?

Perhaps the 2nd most common ST question ever right after "I weight this much and go this fast what wheel should I use?" is what bike to use in a hilly event.

What will the pros do?

Double bike handoff... Because it worked so well in the ToC
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Hey Froome, just because you're winning (or will win), that doesn't make you the Boss. IMO, Contador commands FAR more respect in the peloton. Don't bitch that he plays to win even if the win is unlikely.

What I found striking was that Mollema explicitly said that he waited for Contador, and did not want to gain on him due to that mishap. He didn't mention Froome. Could be because at this point he's mostly riding against AC in the standings, and not so much Froome. But it could just as well be a respect thing.

He also said Quintana was ready to go. So much for a Spanish-speaking bloc.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Jan de Visser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

I wasn't a big Sky fan before, but after this year I find myself always rooting against them. They have an arrogance that no other team possesses. All year in the media Brailsford and the rest of Sky have talked like winning the Tour was a formality, just a matter of showing up. While that may have been true, given what we've seen so far, I'm still not a fan of the attitude. They had that attitude before the classics this year too, and they got their asses handed to them.

Contador, for all his past transgressions (whatever you want to call it), is a respectful person. His interviews always come across as respectful and polite towards his competition, and then when he gets on his bike he races to win. So Froome gets miffed that Contador is trying to attack him? You're damn right he's trying to attack you. This isn't checkers, it's bike racing. You can't call timeout when you get out of your comfort zone.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a fresh grenade to launch at Paul and Phil. Why are they so damned afraid to mention ANYTHING that's happened in the past ten-fifteen years of cycling? If your flying saucer touched down to Earth this morning and you watched today's stage with their commentary, you'd think this was the first running of the tdf, not the 100th, and you'd wonder what the hell the grainy footage was of some guy in a yellow shirt riding his bike across a dirt field and jumping across a ditch.

I don't need them to glorify LA or explain how Schleck won his TdF or compare a Quintana attack to one of Landis', but without any sort of historical context to the race, there is no tradition to look back upon, and therefore no possibility of a legacy to create. P&P spun the fairy tale to us during those years and they were part of the problem, not the solution.

To be ignorant of history is to repeat it. To deny history, to CENSOR it . . . very dangerous.

When the hell is Bill Simmons going to do cycling commentary?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
....................................................... without any sort of historical context to the race, there is no tradition to look back upon, and therefore no possibility of a legacy to create...................................
nice

http://www.truckeecyclocross.com
California
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I wasn't a big Sky fan before, but after this year I find myself always rooting against them. They have an arrogance that no other team possesses. All year in the media Brailsford and the rest of Sky have talked like winning the Tour was a formality, just a matter of showing up. While that may have been true, given what we've seen so far, I'm still not a fan of the attitude. They had that attitude before the classics this year too, and they got their asses handed to them.

Contador, for all his past transgressions (whatever you want to call it), is a respectful person. His interviews always come across as respectful and polite towards his competition, and then when he gets on his bike he races to win. So Froome gets miffed that Contador is trying to attack him? You're damn right he's trying to attack you. This isn't checkers, it's bike racing. You can't call timeout when you get out of your comfort zone.

Funny, I have completely the opposite perspective. I have not seen any interveiews with Brailsford or Froome or anyone else from the Sky team where it appears as though they assume they will win the tour, either before it or even during it when it seems obvious they will.

Froome is a pretty mild-mannered guy, but I think getting irked by Contador on that descent was justified. Contador was not going to take any time out of Froome on the descent, and only possibly a couple of seconds out of Mollema (this was who he was really attacking). But the chances were low he would even do that, but yet he was jeopardising the whole tour for riders around him if he took them out. Contador and Kreuziger were cutting other riders up on those downhill hairpins and it was pretty dangerous, all for the unlikely chance of getting a few seconds on Mollema and a few more on Ten Dam.

Not only that, but after causing the crash and nearly taking Froome out with him, Contador did no work on the flat to re-join the lead group, instead, leaving it all to Froome's team mate Richie Porte. Froome asked him twice to go to the front and do some work and he wouldn't.

I think Contador is lacking class (arguably we saw this back in the tour he rode with Lance, when he wouldn't respect team orders), and nothing I've seen since then has led me to change my view, especially what happened yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC coverage about to start!
Equipment choices will be interesting today, especially if it rains.

I did a course model and guessed at what some of the teams will pick, find out how wrong I was now =)

http://blog.aeroweenie.com/...age-17-light-or.html

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should try bike racing sometime. Get your cat 4 upgrade, try to get your cat 3 upgrade. Totally changes ones perspective on the sport as a fan.

Kay Serrar wrote:
Froome is a pretty mild-mannered guy, but I think getting irked by Contador on that descent was justified.

Quote Reply

Prev Next