Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wildh24 wrote:

So I got a response back from them. Very good explanations.

To summarize they tested various wheel depths on rim brake variants with 25c and 28c tires. Internal width of 19 and external 26. The difference in drag was 3-5w on the front wheel depending on wheel depth with deeper wheels have less. Not insignificant and actually a bit higher than I would've thought.

Good stuff

This all raises the discussion that we really need a way to get independent testing.

We are being soooooo misinformed from various sources.
Last edited by: marcag: Feb 27, 24 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Did they say what yaw angles that was tested at?

This does make me feel better running a 28mm tire on my wheels with a 28mm external

Not specifically but I assume the range was indicative of the the various combinations or yae angle, rim depth, and tire width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wildh24 wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
Did they say what yaw angles that was tested at?

This does make me feel better running a 28mm tire on my wheels with a 28mm external

Not specifically but I assume the range was indicative of the the various combinations or yae angle, rim depth, and tire width.

Can you say who the vendor is ? Sounds like they are on top of things.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parcours. Lots of good info on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wildh24 wrote:

Cool. I have seen their white papers and one of their folks even chimed into some threads.

If I look at the DT Swiss/Swiss Side info, I don’t find things add up for the vendors claiming 28mm+ optimal setups.

I may have tests queued up in the future. I am really curious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
wildh24 wrote:

Cool. I have seen their white papers and one of their folks even chimed into some threads.

If I look at the DT Swiss/Swiss Side info, I don’t find things add up for the vendors claiming 28mm+ optimal setups.

I may have tests queued up in the future. I am really curious

Not familiar with the findings. What are questioning our of curiosity?

I watched a video on YouTube (non scientific) where two guys were testing different size tires (Victoria next) in 28c and 32c and 34c. All on the same rim and adjusted for optimal tire pressure. Attempted a timed circuit with consistent wattage. The 32c was the fastest on both...by a fair margin.

Now this may be fraught with variables as I can't imagine wind, humidity, cornering ,etc would be the same in all conditions, but the numbers were surprisingly consistent between both riders.

May also suggest that is some instances the aero drag may not be as penal for various wheels or once you've already breached the 'optimal' width anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very interesting. How is vibration affected by pressure, does in affect amplitude or frequency? What range of frequencies are you analysing?
Last edited by: casio: Feb 28, 24 0:03
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [casio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casio wrote:
This is very interesting. How is vibration affected by pressure, does in affect amplitude or frequency? What range of frequencies are you analysing?

We are still pulling together all the data and I'm 90% sure we will want to ride a few more types of road before coming to conclusions. We will eventually share, I am just not sure what the best format of that is to give info and receive actionable feedback.

I am not sure our analysis in the frequency domain is complete. We definitely need a few more rides to separate road types, equipment placement, sampling rates.....there is a long list. We spent all this time filtering out vibration to get things like road incline, and now we want it back :-).

Amplitudes are very obviously impacted. Just that has value but we want more. Frequency, to be further investigated. If you have ideas, i'm all ears and willing to measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a few test with a MEMS accelerometer sampling at 500hz and I did not draw any clear conclusions. I am not sure that's the right accelerometer to use. I would guess frequency will be dependent on speed and also type of surface but I don't know if the tyres will have any effect on f (certainly they will affect the amplitude). I would like to test and analyse higher frequencies, but at the moment I don't have the right sensors. What range were you analysing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casio wrote:
I did a few test with a MEMS accelerometer sampling at 500hz and I did not draw any clear conclusions. I am not sure that's the right accelerometer to use. I would guess frequency will be dependent on speed and also type of surface but I don't know if the tyres will have any effect on f (certainly they will affect the amplitude). I would like to test and analyse higher frequencies, but at the moment I don't have the right sensors. What range were you analysing?

We have a few sensors and can sample at 10x that. But there is a lot more to it than the sample rate.
Putting the sensor in the right place and bringing the data all together is a lot of fun. We need accelerometer sampling for dummies thread :-)
Quote Reply
Corsa Pro Speed CRR Data Out [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the BRR data out now showing the Pro Speed as the fastest tire ever, I don't think we need a list anymore, it's down to the GP 5000 S TR for training or races on bad roads, or a decision between the 5000 TT or Pro Speed for all other racing/tris/TTs, with the 5000 TT being the more conservative choice and the Pro Speed the nice roads/YOLO choice.

Veloflex Record falls out of consideration.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:
but i need to ask. i completely understand the conti 5000 TT counsel and i think you saw that over the last year or two in the pro ranks of triathlon. almost every pro who could get hold of that tire (the year it came out) did in kona, and there was a lot of tire changing by matt hill (fredly here on the forum) to that tire for every pro coming in to have their HED wheels tuned and looked over for the race. but... based on your test, this phrase from above: "we tend to recommend GP5000 (or in good scenarios GP5000 TT) for triathlon customers." does that remain true in those cases you'd recommend the 5000 TT?

Yeah, if it was me doing triathlon I'd run GP5000 TT - I trained on them for a while on the TT bike to see what they'd be like in extended use - but I know a lot of triathlon customers do much bigger miles, train on their race wheels and leave their tyres on for training/racing in all conditions and so that's when the standard 5000 is likely a better all round idea. For race day only wheels 5000 TT is great

i respect whatever your view is. but i must ask again. (since BRR data is in.) same answer? if you trained on corsa pro speeds - true tubeless - and had the same no-flat experience, would that change your mind? (i, like you, would need to be convinced of its durability.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:
but i need to ask. i completely understand the conti 5000 TT counsel and i think you saw that over the last year or two in the pro ranks of triathlon. almost every pro who could get hold of that tire (the year it came out) did in kona, and there was a lot of tire changing by matt hill (fredly here on the forum) to that tire for every pro coming in to have their HED wheels tuned and looked over for the race. but... based on your test, this phrase from above: "we tend to recommend GP5000 (or in good scenarios GP5000 TT) for triathlon customers." does that remain true in those cases you'd recommend the 5000 TT?

Yeah, if it was me doing triathlon I'd run GP5000 TT - I trained on them for a while on the TT bike to see what they'd be like in extended use - but I know a lot of triathlon customers do much bigger miles, train on their race wheels and leave their tyres on for training/racing in all conditions and so that's when the standard 5000 is likely a better all round idea. For race day only wheels 5000 TT is great

i respect whatever your view is. but i must ask again. (since BRR data is in.) same answer? if you trained on corsa pro speeds - true tubeless - and had the same no-flat experience, would that change your mind? (i, like you, would need to be convinced of its durability.)

I would personally lean more towards a middle ground - run them in a tri but with air liners in to cut down the types of puncture I’d be vulnerable to. This all said, I’d be more cavalier based on racing distance. If it were a sprint, oly or 70.3, I’d run the Vittorias, but if it were the kind of high value/risk event I’d only do once or twice a season like an IM, I’d go with Xav’s suggestion.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Mar 2, 24 1:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casio wrote:

500Hz is enough to see something. How good is your timing on the 500 samples per second? Here a very early test I did some time ago

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7741796#p7741796
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Pro vs Corsa Speed [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I trained on Corsa Pro Speeds this week actually! No issues to report so far. Regarding training and racing on the same tyre we saw that Corsa Speeds (the old version) wore out and the Crr increased over time, so I'd want to know that wasn't going to happen to the Corsa Pro Speed before I left them on a bike the entire time for both training and racing. GP5000 TTs aren't like this as far as we've established.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I trained on Corsa Pro Speeds this week actually! No issues to report so far. Regarding training and racing on the same tyre we saw that Corsa Speeds (the old version) wore out and the Crr increased over time, so I'd want to know that wasn't going to happen to the Corsa Pro Speed before I left them on a bike the entire time for both training and racing. GP5000 TTs aren't like this as far as we've established.

thanks for the answer. i'll be interested to know your progress with this tire.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Interesting, hadn’t considered a “lifetime” for the nominal performance. Is there any early info you can share on e.g. how many miles before a significant loss is observed, and what that loss (watts, %, etc) is estimated to be?
Quote Reply

Prev Next