Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [snoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoop wrote:
Try "The thumb" and get back to me!

We'll talk about sanity afterwards!

:D

Oh yeah, I did do that one as part of the Full Tri plan and had to reduce the power on the last 3 sets. 130% for 3 minutes - had me crying like a baby.

I actually thought Bago was just as tough if not harder.. 12 x 3' @ 120%, *shudder*

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Curious, how big was the discrepancy in FTP when you switched from virtual power to your Quarq?

I went from virtual power to a new powertap hub that was way off. My FTP was 360 with the powertap and made no sense.

I switched to a Quarq and everything came back to reality and FTP was 240 -- i then did the 'hanging weight' protocol to ensure what i was using was accurate.

So I cant answer you, sorry!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [Light_Kira] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went from approximately 3W/kg to now 3.9W/kg, and still rising, over the course of approximately 1 year, on avg 3 hrs/wk very hard indoor cycling. Cannot recommend highly enough. Buy a real PM and then you can use it for pacing during races also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dec 4 2015 FTP: 267
March 24 2016: FTP 306
Weight: around 77kg
Power meter: 4iiii crank based

After a break I'm into my winter base building phase and my last tested FTP was 275 5 weeks ago. I'm probably higher now as I've been finding some workouts a bit easy so increased the target power. This year I'm aiming to get to an FTP of around 320 by November for my goal event of the year.

This was doing high volume General Build followed by Climbing road race plans. I did this over summer (I'm in New Zealand) and it was really hard because of the heat. I had to do a lot of the hard workouts first thing in the morning and use 3 fans. I would also do one or two extra workouts like the 30 minute "Taku" per week during the last 8 weeks of the climbing road race plan.

Prior to December 2015 I was using someone else's plans and while I improved FTP a bit I didn't get the big gain I did following the Trainerroad plans. I'm a total convert to using them.
Last edited by: 3DKiwi: Jun 3, 16 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are absolutely crushing it out there...bravo!

In fact, we recently created a form for all y'all to tell us of the exact types of massive gains you've described above ā€” so we can spread the love in our Training Blog! Woohoo!

http://goo.gl/forms/nmnwfwA4cW

Thanks @Light_Kira for starting this!

Cheers everyone, and Happy Training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't lose motivation seeing people with big watts. Watts/kg aka FTP/kg if comparing to other people, is a better measurement. IMO, don't test higher and change your FPT in the middle of a training plan. If you feel stronger then bump up your workout % or just push yourself harder. Your new FTP will raise the workout bars and with progressively longer/harder rides it can be a bit much (learned the hard way). I follow the Full triathlon Base plan but do the weekend rides outside, longer and harder. Tuesdays are my favorite workouts. After the Base phase I will go into the Full Build phase then into Full Specialty ending for my Ironman race. I followed the half high volume specialty in jan-feb and did very well at a 70.3 a couple months ago.

First FTP was around 200 in Jan this year when I started. Retested at 230 (3.25 watt/kg) in March. I can tell I am ready to test up now but I am going to wait another 4-5 weeks until I am done with the Base Build.

Awesome tool to use!!!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started around 130-140 using virtual power October 2014. That may be on the low side I may not have suffered enough during the FTP test. By April 2015 I was around 260-270 focusing only on cycling (using a quarq Riken power meter). I peaked around 280 shortly after that. I havent made huge gains since, but I started running and swimming so overallI think I am in better shape even if my FTP dropped a little during that time.

I just finished off high volume Olympic tri base and expect my FTP to be around 280 possibly a little higher next time I retest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan 18 2016 FTP: 284
Jan 28 2016 FTP: 320
Height: 6ft/184cm
Weight 61kg/135 lbs (I was in the 140-145 range when I did my second ftp test in Jan, I stopped lifting shortly after that workout.. I could probably lose another 10lbs or so if I stopped swimming/running)
Power Meter: Stages Crank Arm
Dope I've been taking throughout the year: Creatine, Beta-Alanine, Vitamin D+C, Caffeine (only before a race, avoid caffeine the rest of the time to make it more effective)

Haven't done a power test since Jan.. Been doing 16-20 hour weeks (between all 3 sports). From my latest workouts I feel I can hit higher now

Goal: 350 for 20min (will go for it next week)

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
ā€œMore often than not bad luck meant bad plansā€ -Joe Abercrombie
Last edited by: Joshawa: Jun 3, 16 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
December of 2014 - FTP of 195 at 190 lbs
I got to 234 in 4 months. Took 9 months off to just run and then restarted.
1/2016 - FTP after 9 mos off was 215.
Retested last week at 256 at 169 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

This is amazing! I cant wait to put in the work and see my result!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figured I'd chime in as I have had alot of success with TR

First FTP test - July 2015 - 190 watts - weight 195 pounds

Current FTP - Sept 2016 - 265 watts - weight 185 pounds

TR Stats:

170RIDES

11.7 kTOTAL TSSĀ®

725AVG KJ

1.2 hoursAVG WORKOUT

8.4 daysTRAINING
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
Don't lose motivation seeing people with big watts. Watts/kg aka FTP/kg if comparing to other people, is a better measurement. IMO, don't test higher and change your FPT in the middle of a training plan. If you feel stronger then bump up your workout % or just push yourself harder. Your new FTP will raise the workout bars and with progressively longer/harder rides it can be a bit much (learned the hard way). I follow the Full triathlon Base plan but do the weekend rides outside, longer and harder. Tuesdays are my favorite workouts. After the Base phase I will go into the Full Build phase then into Full Specialty ending for my Ironman race. I followed the half high volume specialty in jan-feb and did very well at a 70.3 a couple months ago.

First FTP was around 200 in Jan this year when I started. Retested at 230 (3.25 watt/kg) in March. I can tell I am ready to test up now but I am going to wait another 4-5 weeks until I am done with the Base Build.

Awesome tool to use!!!!

Yeah. I have to remind myself that there are many things that go into these numbers. I have followed trainerroad HIM base->build->specialty plans. I started base at 200 I believe. Start of build ftp test was 220. Hit a fatigue wall week 6 of build program. Specialty ftp test at beginning was 209. Stuck with that and it seemed accurate since workouts were tough and I could just barely get through intervals. Did an Olympic distance recently and bike leg was much improved over anything I've done in the past. So even though I still want to raise my ftp, I know I've improved even if I'm not seeing, currently, huge jumps like other people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started two years ago now with an FTP of 195. As of my last test I'm sitting at 285W or (4.5w/kg)

I used to follow the plans to a T but this past year I discovered I was more in tune with myself. I would swap out different rides when I knew the demands were too low or high on any given day. I will still stick to the same basic foundation

Sweet Sport Base Mid I&II (12 Weeks)
Build Plan Mid (8 Weeks)
Sweet Spot Base I Low (6 Weeks)
Build Plan High (8 Weeks)
Specific Plan Mid ( 8 Weeks)

Total time on trainer yearly 42 weeks.

This gives me 10 additional weeks per year to use for swim or run focuses as well as some down time.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started with virtual power and no idea how to ftp test. Earned a 177 ftp last November. Got a power meter and did the low volume tri training plan. Unfortunately had an accident in April and had to take a month off and couldn't race. But got back on the bike for the summer and ftp went up to 251 and 3.5 w/kg. Over the winter I lost about 14 lbs from 172 down to 158. TR is great and I'm actually looking forward to structured training again this winter!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First ride: March 2016
  • Weight 239
  • FTP 209

Latest Ride: August 2016
  • Weight 223
  • FTP 288

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job to all of you fro raising your FTP. Now, what about real world results? Did you go from back of the pack to bike split superstar? Fifth to First in your age group? On your way to Kona? Lets hear it!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHA, not quite! This was my first year so it was hard to know without much to compare to, but I did add an average 4 mph to a sprint race I did last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
I've been using TR for quite sometime, and haven't noticed any considerable gains. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for males 45-49.

You forgot to mention how much speed you gained by switching to GatorSkins and heavy butyl tubes especially if you're in males 30-34

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reviving this thread.
Since starting this thread I focused on raising my FTP from 234w to now 266w. I did switch my focus to HIM specialty from july to mid sept and shaved off 17mins my half ironman bike and 27mins pb total.
Now Im back to raising my power and see how high I can get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using the "virtual power" setting on my Nashbar trainer I crept up from an initial FTP of 190 to a 225 over a three month span in 2014. I then fixed the handle that controls the resistance and got a 375 that summer.

This year I got up to 532.

190 to 532 - you can do it too!

(I kept the resistance setting the same this summer to monitor progress, even though I knew it wasn't right. After tri season ended I did a new test at level 2 resistance - 285. I don't believe that either, but always riding level 3 resistance doesn't appeal to me. Either way I'll be resetting all the PRs)

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
First ride: March 2016
  • Weight 239
  • FTP 209

Latest Ride: August 2016
  • Weight 223
  • FTP 288

Good job, but that is not the norm. 72% gain is unheard of over the course of five months.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply

Prev Next