Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me about your trainer road gains.
Quote | Reply
I just joined Trainer road this week and now doing base. I'm currently working on getting my FTP as high as possible.
I'm excited to hear about your experiences.
What was your FTP at the start? What is your FTP now? How long did it take you and which plan did you follow?
I could use this thread to fall back on hard training days.
Thank you a lot. Looking to hear your stories!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [Light_Kira] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
initial trainer road FTP test = 205 = July 2015
Current FTP = 252 (last tested March 2016)

I do mid-volume plans. I started with a build (from where I was in training), did a ironman specific, then a sweet spot base. Took 2 months off after my ironman as well. So that increase is probably not even close to my potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice. I started out at 216. I'm on mid-volume of half ironman base plan. Hoping for some good improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested to hear if everyone is using a power meter or maybe a speed and cadence sensor like I have with rollers. I love trainer road, and while I do the ftp tests I know that whatever number I am getting is a bit skewed potentially. I think they do a pretty good job with the power estimator though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [shaunylw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
currently I am using trainer road with a cycleops fluid 2 and speed and cadence sensors so using it's virtual power feature. I did just order a stages power meter so I am going to have to retest to get my new ftp. I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started on TR January 1st. Worked from then until about mid-April doing the off-road "gravity" plan in preparation for a 100k MTB race.

FTP on January 1: 241W
FTP on March 31: 296W

I haven't tested in a while just because I'm in very specific training for races (one week till A-race) and two weeks after my B-race.

Gravity was great at building power for climbing hills (anywhere from 1-10 minutes of pure pain per interval [100-200% FTP]). The workouts took a lot out of me and required an immense amount of focus. Any of the plans will be good for your overall bike fitness.

Keep at it and embrace the suck. You will see massive gains if you can get through any of their plans and keep testing every 4 weeks to always make things harder for yourself.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jun 3, 16 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
180 -> 250 with six months of bike focus over the past year. I'm a big fan of the Sufferst four week build. In my experience it's good for +10 every four weeks early on.

I have a PM but my friends that have used virtual power have had great results as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I started with TR and a Kickr in January. I did an initial 2x8min FTP test and measured 214. I followed the Sprint Base and Build program doing three or four sessions a week. I retested in April at 212. Quite strange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I started TR's plans I just biked a lot without much purpose and I was probably around ~300 W (I was using virtual power for a while) and now up to 335 after a solid year and a half (although did peak at 333 last year). However that really doesn't tell the whole story - the training plans themselves have evolved and are now very specific to your event, so while your FTP is increasing, your race-specific fitness is also being dialed in.

The most brutal workouts IMO are over-unders with little rest (Mary Austin) and V02 Max workouts (3 minute repeats at 120% or higher). I curse at Chad during the final minutes of those repeats and question my sanity for waking up early to put myself through that. Have fun, it's about the journey!!

Edit: I'm doing full triathlon base/build/specific, now about halfway through build

Strava
Last edited by: sch340: Jun 3, 16 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight tangent, but how many sessions per week does a trainer road plan typically require, and how easy is it to mix and match with outdoor riding (without a power meter)?

I like the idea of trainer road, but a lot of my training is outside and somewhat unstructured. I cycle commute 15 miles each way to work most days, and do a group ride most weekends. Could probably do a couple of sessions per week on the trainer, but there's limits on how much I can structure my outdoor rides given the nature of them.

The volume I do (>150 miles most weeks, all year round) gives me a great base, but I'm on a bit of a plateau at the moment and am going to have to add more structure in if I want to improve.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do 2 trainerroad workouts during the week, then outdoor rides or bike races on the weekends. I don't have a lot of time on weekdays, so a very structured 1-1.5 hr workout on the wahoo kickr is very efficient. I do think I tend to overdo my weekend workouts though, since many of them are much longer or more intense than TR's prescribed weekend workout, sometimes I go in to my next Tuesday TR workout a little too fatigued to hit the targets.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my plans are at 3 days a week. I'll pick a mid volume or low volume usually in Sweet Spot base or sustained power build (and sometimes drop the 30 min recovery rides). The weekday rides are on the trainer and I try to get the long ride outside weather/schedule permitting. I know what my targets and intervals are for the long ride and just take it to the road. If I add on I do that at the end with just easy riding. I've gotten surprisingly good at holding steady watts on rolling terrain. If no power meter, just note your RPE when on the trainer and use that outdoors. Not precise, but it works.

Can you take a different route so you can structure your commute?

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, so does Trainerroad prescribe what level of effort your weekend rides should be at? If I did 2 very structured indoor rides per week, and then had a plan as to whether my other rides were at least easy/medium/hard, then I guess that would be an improvement on where I'm at now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, every workout in Trainerroad has a duration, and IF and a TSS associated with it. I don't have a power meter when I ride outside, only power from my Kickr on indoor rides, but I can usually tell if I'm riding outdoors at an IF of 0.6 or 0.9.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started at 192 In February...one base phase one build phase (mid volume half plan), now at 222. Using stages PM...ride TrainerRoad 2-3 days a week and do the Saturday ride outside, usually longer and harder...my FTP isnt the same inside vs. outside...I'm higher outside by a good bit. 18% increase in 4 months, I'm happy with it. Mental toughness and logistically easier during the week for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from starting in January with a 220ftp, only on 2 days a week with an occasional 3rd day all while training for a marathon and went up to 245 in late March, early April. So now I am hitting it hard 3-4x week so I am hoping to retest in about 3 weeks and hoping for over 250. We'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got pretty good RPE and ability to hold a steady effort level, but yes would definitely be good to calibrate the RPE to power. Not too many better options on the commute unfortunately, I work in the middle of a city. There's a few stretches where I can pretty much guarantee a couple of miles of uninterrupted riding, and a couple of rolling hills which are good for ~3 minute high intensity efforts, but a normal ride would see me having to unclip and put a foot down maybe 10-15 times, and probably a similar number of times where I have to ease up somewhat. Can still get a great workout in, as there's lots of opportunity for high intensity bursts from one light to the next, but very difficult to structure it much more than hard//medium/easy effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have over 350 trainerroad workouts logged now.

I have data from way back, but i had virtual power at the start, then got a powertap that was not reading right.

April 2015: FTP 240 (I got a new quarq power meter here. All work on that same power meter from now on)

July 2015: FTP 270 (outdoor test, same power meter)

September 2015: FTP 297
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2325403-20-minute-test

November 2015: FTP 318
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2604407-20-minute-test

April 2016: FTP 330 (4.2 w/kg)

I am due to test again, though wont with some upcoming races -- once I knew what 2x20 @ 90% "feels like" and my heart rate at sweet spot, i'm comfortable estimating its 340 based on the watts i can hold now for those intervals (though i'm in aero position now most of the time)

I have followed some "sweet spot" based plans, but am not strict on plans anymore. Trainerroad simply taught me what I need to do effort level wise to improve, and i come up with my own assortment of workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious, what plans/workouts did you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a ridiculous amount of the 2x20 @ 90% workout on trainerroad called Eichorn. In the fall/winter i aim for 3-4 times a week then a long ride on the weekends.

It came from this post from kevin metcalfe back in 2012.... then watching him do it every day on his trainer in the winter via strava... every .. single.. day.

if you're unfamiliar with him, read this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...r_with_age_3693.html

I do more vo2 stuff now and mix things up, but that was my main build over the offseason.

nslckevin wrote:
Tempo, tempo, tempo and more tempo. ~85% of FTP is where I usually land.

When the time changes I go indoors M-F (and on rainy weekend days because I'm a wuss).

1 hour each day.
10' warm up
20' @ Tempo
5' easy
20' @ Tempo
5' cool down and done.

During the 20' sets I pop it up a couple of gears and stand for about 10-15 seconds. Gives your butt a break and make the workout into easy 5' bite sized chunks.

If you are feeling good, ramp it up just a bit to sweet spot.

This is the shit that kills. Do this 5 days a week and get out for longer rides on the weekend and you will crush dreams on the bike come spring.

I don't bother with FTP intervals, VO2 max, sprints etc. on the trainer. It is too much mentally. It's going to be a long winter on the trainer and it's important to stay fresh mentally.

This should not be a killer workout. It might take a week or two to get into it, but you should be able to do this day after day after day. After I broke my collar bone at the end of December I did this workout 7 days a week for about 8 weeks. Coming off of this I rode a 51:32 40km in late April on a double out and back course at sea level. On about my 4th ride outside after the collar bone I did an FTP test. 375W for 20 minutes. Most of the trainer workouts were around 300-310W, once in a while as much as 320.

This is the shit that kills.

Important things for being on the trainer.

Fans. As many as you can reasonably use. I'm outside in the garage with the door open. Even when the outside temp is around 30 degrees F, I've got two fans on my when I'm working and still get pretty soaked in sweat. Ironically, there have been a few days where I wore shoe covers because my feet were really cold while my core was soaking in sweat.

I don't have a TV in the garage, I listen to music. I like to listen to podcasts most of the time, but on the bike when it's time to actually work it has to be music. Preferably 80's hair metal. :-) I like to visualize races that I want to win. On my trainer with a good Night Ranger song going, even Eddy Merckx fears me. :-) One of those Motorola blue tooth headsets is a nice touch. I can set my phone on the work bench next to me and control the volume and skip controls by pushing a button on the headset.

I broke my other collar bone in a crit on Aug 5th, 4.5 weeks before nationals. 3 weeks on the trainer, 1.5 on the road before I went to Bend. 2nd in the TT and I won the RR solo. The week after nationals I did the Mt. Tam hillclimb and won the 45+ group. It's about a 45 minute race depending on how fast your group goes on the flat section. On the main climb? 20' @ 400W.

Why are you still reading this? Get on your freaking trainer and do some Tempo!!!

There may be better indoor schedules and workouts, but you have to be willing to do them day in and day out. 7 days of tempo is better than 4 days of FTP and 3 days of "I can't face getting on my bike".

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try "The thumb" and get back to me!

We'll talk about sanity afterwards!

:D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dec 1 - 262
April 26 - 305

I did sweet spot base, short power build, both mid volume.

Consistency is really the key. As you move along in a plan week to week, you really start to see, and feel, how a structured accumulation of fatigue, then resting a bit, then hitting it again works over time. (That is why it is important to pick a level (low, mid or high) where you can do all the workouts. Doing all the mid volume workouts as written week after week is way better than trying high volume but having to back off or skip workouts repeatedly).

This was my first season with a power meter. I had used virtual power for the past 2 winters but my old worn out trainer was not that great with virtual power. I'm sure the 305 ftp is a new personal high but a decent chunk of the 40 watt gain I got from base and build is just part of the annual rebuilding I do as I have been riding for a long time and doing structured training for the last 3 years at least indoors. This is just the first year I have real power data. I haven't had too much trouble taking the TR workouts outside, particularly the longer more steady state weekend rides. I do have a few routes where I can do intervals less than 5 minutes without major interruptions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using TR for quite sometime, and haven't noticed any considerable gains. I wouldn't recommend it, especially for males 45-49.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious, how big was the discrepancy in FTP when you switched from virtual power to your Quarq?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your trainer road gains. [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Curious, how big was the discrepancy in FTP when you switched from virtual power to your Quarq?

Thought I'd give an answer, also...I used virtual power for 4 months (Blackburn fluid), and then got a Quarq Elsa...power was within 5 watts. I was surprised.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply

Prev Next