Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Forum Midget [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys realise that the shorter the person, the stronger (relatively speaking) he is, right?

Strength = (height)^{2/3}

i.e. strength only increases with the 2/3 power of a person's height, hence the taller one is, the (relatively) weaker he is. This also places a limit on how tall land-based animals (including humans obviously) can get since at some point the muscles will not be able to support the mass of the creature (that's why beached whales die: their skeleton collapses under their own weight).

I mention this just in case anyone believed that short stature is an impediment to triathlon success (although shorter people do have a disadvantage on the downhills).

John (1.67m/5'5.5", 133lbs/60.5kg)

P.S. Ultimately, the size of animals rests on the values of the fine structure constant (which controls the strength of the electromagnetic force that holds us together), and the gravitational constant (which determines the strength of gravity that tries to squash us to the ground).
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [jgrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sedi must be really strong then!
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [CGTRIGUY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You people that are 5'7" and 130ish (and not female) really need to beef up. I'm 5'7" and my race weight is 150-155, and that's thin. I suppose skeletal construction plays in here as well, but sheesh...
I honestly dont look a lot different at 133 or 150. I have a little more definition and my face is a little more cut or gaunt as my wife calls me, but I seem to carry my weight pretty evenly and I'm not particilarly thin either.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From http://www.genderweb.org/general/ave_bo.phtml

IN HEIGHT FROM THE GROUND:

nominal nominal
ITEM MALE sigma FEMALE sigma FEMALE
---------------- -----|----- ------|----- -----|------
Top of Head 68.60 | 2.74 64.25 | 2.58

According to this 68.3% of the male population is in the 65.86" to 71.34" range. That's ~6'6" to 6'11" I'm less than a sigma off of average, how am I a midget?

I'm saying our criteria needs to be tightened up here. Everyone just can't jump on the midget bandwagon it just cheapens the name.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From http://www.genderweb.org/general/ave_bo.phtml

IN HEIGHT FROM THE GROUND:

nominal nominal
ITEM MALE sigma FEMALE sigma FEMALE
---------------- -----|----- ------|----- -----|------
Top of Head 68.60 | 2.74 64.25 | 2.58

According to this 68.3% of the male population is in the 65.86" to 71.34" range. That's ~6'6" to 6'11" I'm less than a sigma off of average, how am I a midget?

I'm saying our criteria needs to be tightened up here. Everyone just can't jump on the midget bandwagon it just cheapens the name.

~Matt
Thats 5'6" to 5'11" not 6'6" to 6"11. BTW there are 12 inches in a foot.
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we need some guidelines for membership, 5’7” & below for men – what about women?
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We might have to have a steel cage death match to decide who gets to be the team coach because I think SAC and czone are pretty close at about 5'8". You might as well add my wife to the team...she stands a hefty 5'1 1/2" and is a pretty bad-ass AGer. If you remember from an earlier thread, ASICS doesn't make kids shoes (yet), so I can't be the footwear sponsor ; )

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Oct 21, 05 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [riceballl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'7" and below? I'm out at a stealthly 5'9"!!!

Shawn

Last edited by: ShawnF: Oct 21, 05 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Francois, are we taking Welch, Delgado or Lucho Herrera as our Directeur Sportif ? Do you have word yet whether Air France or Quantas have signed up as our airline sponsor ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 What's with all this metric system stuff. Don't you know that confuses us Americans. Let's try and keep it simple, OK? As you can tell, there are not many rocket scientists on this forum. Otherwise, we would all know by now the optimal tire width and psi for our cool bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [riceballl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can we say 1m72 as the limit?
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...not 6'6" to 6"11."

Big midgets?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that is the limit (172 cm), will the whole team be able to draft behind Bjorn, or do we need to get him to bring out Magnus Backstedt as well so we have the full Swedish Deisel Engine Compliment pulling the train?
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah this is slowtwitch not the NBA. The NBA is probably the only place where you can find a 6'5" short guy.
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the limit has to be 1m72...I was the main example for short dude for years here...so I have to be in the team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's 1.72m, then I will need to resign from the team immediately. This is a sad day for me. : (

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll go with 1.72 that's about 5"6" and some change right? Now do we need to establish a maximum bike size:) I'm riding a 48 kestrel & 49 QR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, you're out...you don't belong.
Tracer the racer can join though ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you remember from an earlier thread, ASICS doesn't make kids shoes (yet), so I can't be the footwear sponsor"

Yup...still waiting for my size 5 Gel Nimbuses... I'm being patient though! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One can actually see this relationship when one plots the world records in weight lifting in the various weight categories, against the mass of the respective weight lifters: the resulting line has a slope of 2/3; one of those affrimations of the power of science.

Quote:

Wasn't there a weight lifter from eastern Europe who had swept the world championships and Olympics for many years in the featherweight category (58kg?), was really short (1.55m?), and was nicknamed "pocket Hercules"? Maybe someone from Shortwitch should take this screen name.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois.. I hate to break this to you but you are NOT 5'8:-) that's like Paulo.. he is 5'8.. if that is the case, I am 5'6:-)
Last edited by: Marisol: Oct 22, 05 1:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess I'll take jgrat suggestion and become SEDI "The Pocket Hercules"!!! :-)

Technique sets the upper limit to where your fitness will take you...
Quote Reply
Re: New Forum Midget [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to break it to you but I never said I was 5'8'', I said I was 1m72 which is somewhere in between 5'7'' and 5'8''...Paulo is more 1m75 maybe a tad more.
but I am sure you can join the team ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knoe.. At 5'4 1/2, I am consider short. But tell you what.. I feel like a giant here in honolulu, compared to those japanese women:-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next