Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
An AG athlete is no where close to training to the level that ā€œtalentā€ is then the factor. Availability is likely the biggest limiter for the AG athlete.

So many variables that make swim training thatā€™s the hardest thing to o at one. Talent is 8th in the list of limiters not r fb worth discussing for many AG athletes.

As I've said ad nauseum - talent + training dictates rate of improvement.

You need both. Even you know that.

You and Jason are both misrepresenting what I'm saying. You seem to think I'm saying because AGers don't train maximal hours, they have no problems with a talent limiter. That is NOT what I'm saying.

I'm saying that AGers by definition pretty much always have a time limiter in training - that's why they're not pros. If you can only swim 7k per week, max, due to scheduling and life demands, that amount of improvement and level of performance you get is going to be heavily dependent on your response to such low training. Which is literally the definition of TALENT.

Every time you discuss a target goal with your athlete, you are having a discussion that's depends on the work they put in, and their talent (intrinsic response to training.) You might not say the word talent, but when you tell that perennial 2:00/100 swimmer that they did a great job by becoming a 1:55/100 swimmer with their hard work, you're making a statement about their talent level and including it directly in your assessment.

Just because AGers don't come close to maxxing their potential, doesn't mean they're not already limited by their intrinsic ability. I know you know this.

no.

untapped potential plus training = rate of improvement. one person could be super talented, but maybe they're closer to their potential than the untalented person. the first is going to find it harder to improve than the "untalented" one who has a lot of low hanging, easily accessible fruit to pick off.

I never said anything about training maximal hours. never. Its not always about training more. It is often about training well, figuring out what works and what doesn't, and ditching the stuff that doesn't.

when you tell that perennial 2:00/100 swimmer that they did a great job by becoming a 1:55/100 swimmer with their hard work, its simply about where they are vs where they were, and how they got there. No statements on "talent" anywhere, neither explicit nor implicit.

This discussion is getting ridiculous.

1. Work Matters
  2. Aerobic "talent matters"
  3. Inherent strength "matters"
  4. Flexibility "matters"
  5. Coordination in a weightless medium "matters" (by that I mean open chain)

They all matter. I showed up as an 18 year old for my military fitness test and cranked off 20 pull ups with no training for that. It was just from monkeying around at the the playground as a kid hanging off bars and doing flips and jumps and endless manouevres jumping from ground, hanging off bar and lifting my body over the bar and standing on top. Almost no kids in the playground could do what I could do. I had god given flexbility and power. So when I started to learn how to do butterfly after 30 years in triathlon as a 53 year old, I was able to get to a basic level of ability even with a debilitating back injury from which I could barely walk!!!

Now if I ask most swimmers to do the 110m hurdles they will fall over at hurdle number one. I could just say, "keep training you'll get there" I would be lying to most people.

I agree for age group swimming you don't need to be at the max limit of points 1-5 above. But the better you are on each of them you're going to get to a higher level of proficiency earlier. It is the same reason why my sister within 3 months can master most yoga moves that the rest of us can never hope to get to even with a decade of training. She's just talented for doing that. It involves 1-4 above, and the last point would be changed to coordination in a closed chain mode. If you throw both of us into the air and tell us to catch a baseball, or football or serve in tennis, once her feet are not touching the ground she does not have the level of coordination I do with the spine no longer in a compression mode and getting sensory feedback from body parts without the gravitational frame of reference.

Land animals are coordinated with gravitational force goes through spine, water animals are coordinated when their spine is no longer in a compression mode. It is entirely different how the brain connects to the body in these two modes.

Perhaps youth swimmers develop not just the flexiblity but the innate coordination when spine is unweighted.

Food for thought here.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Weā€™ll just agree to disagree and thatā€™s awesome. Iā€™m a no body coach who works with athletes who generally have a like minded mindset. We donā€™t go after ā€œoutcomeā€ goals. We achieve outcome goals through process focused training. So again Iā€™m way more focused on committment level than I am on ā€œtalentā€. Commit to the goal and generally itā€™ll happen. Which is why I think thatā€™s likely the bigger obstacle (availability) for most people over ā€œ Iā€™m just not talented enoughā€ā€¦..

Thank you thank you thank you

I have a friend who so often sets unrealistic time goals. I encourage him to, instead set performance goals.

Hey buddy how about you set a goal of biking 3 times a week for 6 months and see where you end up. But he prefers to say no I want to do 25 miles in under an hour. When in reality he is pushing himself to average 21 MPH for 10 miles

Same in business. You see if on tic toc and YouTube. Hey Iā€™m setting a goal to make 1 million dollars. When in reality setting a goal to work on your business for 2 hours a night after work and 10 hours on the weekend would serve them so much better

But of course that sort of goal setting doesnā€™t generate likes and clicks
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 21, 23 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
Brother man, I know you go on and on about how you need talent to swim well. But 10k/wk is barely enough to be swimming fit, much less get faster.

It is funny, because as an AOS I think averaging 10k a week would be incredible! Like, how close to 30 minutes could I get in a 70.3 swim? Under 30? Probably not, but Iā€™d love to find out.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why isn't this in the Lionel thread? Taken a life of its own which is why the thread was created in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kids developing the innate aquatic coordination and flexibility - yes that is right.

one of the best water polo nations is hungary - very rich history and beautifully skilled players. i was absolutely fanatical about wp when i was 11-16. i read an interview with one of the hungarian coaches years ago about the best way to get better at wp and they said, unlike soccer and rugby where you are in some way training movements by walking to the fridge, for water polo, you need to be in the water as much as and as often as possible if this is your sport. we would be in the water before and after our 2 hour practices just mucking around with the ball and doing tricks and stuff. i never thought that as training but just as fun. we probably trained for 4 hours sometimes but it was just fun and so much shit talk.

we could juggle balls on our feet in the water (probably 4-5 kicks), throw both left and right handed in the water, and jump out to the line of our bathers just using our legs.

like you naturally playing on the play ground and kicking a ball, we just played in the water. it all adds up. now my shoulder kills me if i throw a ball but a great sport to play as a kid
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
I am not sure I really understand that. Itā€™s not like three cups of coffee and they forgot to pour coffee talents in to the swim cup but you get beautiful coffee in the bike and run mug ??

I know Iā€™m late to this party, but I think it is like that. Looking at ITU where swim matters the most, it is so exceedingly rare to find front pack swimmers who are front pack runners. And some of these folks have been training both for a long time. The coffee isnā€™t even.

My son is 6ā€™4ā€ and down to around 210. D3 swimmer. He is relatively late to swimming but played a lot of soccer growing up and could run a mile somewhere in the 5s his junior year. But he just doesnā€™t have distance running talent like he does swimming talent. Sophomore year he ran CC because they didnā€™t have soccer (COVID). Never got under 21 for 5k.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think too much is made of this swimming ability that kids have and adults new to the sport cannot replicate. When I say we have 11/12 year old girls in our club putting out times similar to Sanders, these aren't kids swimming 8, 9 times a week, these aren't kids that have been swimming for 10+ years and these aren't kids that have great technique. Many of them swim 2-3 times a week, have only been swimming 2-3 years and have pretty average technique plus average dives and tumble turns. And in fact that's why the sport is so injurious at a junior level, poor technique. There's no reason why an adult can't develop good technique. If they can't it's probably lack of talent, coordination etc rather than age. It helps having picked up swimming as a kid, but the benefits are, IMO, greatly exaggerated.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Oh, Lionel has tons of talent. World-class cycling talent, and world-class tri-running talent for sure. Pretty good to have 2 out of the 3 covered in spades.

This is a thread about his swim meet. So when he gets beaten by some (really good) 13 year olds, it's fair to ask whether this reflects on his ability to make the front-pack in elite professional triathlon, which has been his goal for quite awhile now. I'm still amazed that I'm like the only one on these threads to ever suggest a talent limiter could be a possibility. Doesn't mean you give up and quit - you keep trying and struggling and getting whatever small gains you can get, but you might not also want to consider yourself a failure if you can't swim against the likes of Frodeno, Dubrick, etc.

I'm going to quote this without wading through all seven pages of this thread.....

Snapping T has consistently over the years suggested that triathletes should stop biking and running to concentrate on swimming..... And maybe it would make them faster swimmers. But the sport is triathlon. If you are a mid pack or slower swimmer, but an elite cyclist/runner, who gives them up for a (year) to concentrate on swimming, is it guaranteed to make you a faster triathlete? Say you go 90 seconds faster on the swim but you are two minutes slower on the bike and four minutes slower on the run.... Have you done yourself any favors in the sport?

I am convinced that lightheir is right. That all of the swimming in the world is not going to have Lionel making the front pack at a major race. But ignoring his strengths to concentrate too heavily on swimming might very well have him finishing slower, overall.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Donā€™t worry, itā€™s true

My theory - Life time volume on the swim, LS is a micro volume guy šŸ˜Š

Life time volume on the bike and run, heā€™s done his time

You're right. Because Lionel is an adult onset swimmer. And always will be.

How do you propose he fix this? Is there a time machine that he can get into and go back to age 12 so he can do the volume that Vincent Luis has done?

And your theory that basic athleticism will translate into fast swimming is so off base. But I suspect your lifetime swim volume and skill that resulted from it make this something that you can't see. It's like the math teacher who can't understand why people can't learn math because it is so easy for them.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s like my daughter in law who can speak fluent Spanish merely from. Hearing people speak Spanish

Never a single lesson

She doesnā€™t understand why everyone canā€™t pick up Spainsh the same way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am convinced that lightheir is right. That all of the swimming in the world is not going to have Lionel making the front pack at a major race//

Can we please stop with this line of bullshit, no one here or in the know, thinks Lionel is ever going to make the front group. What we are all talking about is him making the 2nd group, and routinely without a taxing effort..You all that keep saying this are just using it to justify your position, and it is not what he is going for, his swim coach, or what the real swimmers who know what it takes are saying..And this is a goal he can absolutely achieve, it wont be easy, but nothing is easy in the pro ranks when going for those marginal gains near your peaks...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another swim thread that could have been a bastion of info, tips, and advice that instead devolved into the lightheir forum of excuses. How many times can you say 'Ill never put in the hard work so everybody else should just give up'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
kids developing the innate aquatic coordination and flexibility - yes that is right.

one of the best water polo nations is hungary - very rich history and beautifully skilled players. i was absolutely fanatical about wp when i was 11-16. i read an interview with one of the hungarian coaches years ago about the best way to get better at wp and they said, unlike soccer and rugby where you are in some way training movements by walking to the fridge, for water polo, you need to be in the water as much as and as often as possible if this is your sport. we would be in the water before and after our 2 hour practices just mucking around with the ball and doing tricks and stuff. i never thought that as training but just as fun. we probably trained for 4 hours sometimes but it was just fun and so much shit talk.

we could juggle balls on our feet in the water (probably 4-5 kicks), throw both left and right handed in the water, and jump out to the line of our bathers just using our legs.

like you naturally playing on the play ground and kicking a ball, we just played in the water. it all adds up. now my shoulder kills me if i throw a ball but a great sport to play as a kid

I also got to play intramural water polo (between squadrons) when I was in the military college here in Canada and from time to time would get called up for the varsity team. I had reasonable good spatial coordination from other ball sports and could swim OK (but being 140 lbs does not make for good waterpolo size). I agree the only way to get the feedback for where you are in the water is to spend time in the water. As you said, when you walk to your car on ice and slip and plant yourself upright before falling you're practicing what you need to do in soccer. But when you are "falling in water" you get zero feedback from your feet and have to get the feedback from all parts of your body.

In any case on this thread people keep saying for age group level you don't need talent, but I can say coaching kids soccer, track, XC skiing for around 15 years, even at age group level, some kids have zero hope. No amount of training will get them to sufficient coordination to head a soccer ball. Others can head a soccer ball but you put them on skis and they just never develop the upper body timing and force. Head over the track and an infinite amount of training won't help some kids get to even a basic level of "age group" sprinting. Some people just have no hope in a given sport. On the adult side, I took an ex hockey player who did triathlon and I taught him to XC ski at a fairly pointy masters XC ski level in sub 2 years. This guy on the other hand who I also coached for triathlon had ZERO hope in the water. He had no shoulder mobility, and no body awareness once in the water, but on skates, on XC skis, running, this guy was just an ultra coordinated natural.

I disagree with the fish around here that at age group level anyone can be trained. If that made sense, it would be possible in tennis, baseball, XC skiing, speedskating, soccer, cricket.....and an endless list of sport, but we all know that in EVERY sport, some people just have no aptitude no matter how much we drag them along. Probably the swim people here are already biased because the people who show up for swimming are largely self selected
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I think weā€™re all saying he likely canā€™t even make the 2nd pack by todayā€™s faster standards without killing himself. Things changed so fast in the swim that what used to be 1st pack is now 2nd pack.

Iā€™d love to be proven wrong - Monty if you can help him please do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Yet another swim thread that could have been a bastion of info, tips, and advice that instead devolved into the lightheir forum of excuses. How many times can you say 'Ill never put in the hard work so everybody else should just give up'.

Dude I never gave up. I often probably swim more than you do in fact. Stop projecting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140 pounds is a huge disadvantage for water polo!

Sounds like youā€™ve been around quite a few different sports - most of the people I know who have gotten into swimming more as an adult probably had some basic training as teens. A guy I know says to people he only took up swimming as an adult but I suspect that is because he feels he didnā€™t achieve a very good level and may have some shame / embarrassment when he raced school and club (when the real swimmers swam). And he did a 9 minute 800 free short course meters as late 40s.

But in true swimming terms a 9 minute 800 is actually very slow, like this was smashed by 15 years old girls with no goggles 50 years ago (in long course)

I do think that ā€œtalentā€ (a pretty ambiguous concept) is a different thing to time and opportunities to learn an activity, including swimming. Work beats talent when talent doesnā€™t work :) but youā€™ve been around lots of different sports so I guess everyone has their own take on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I knew I was right. Was having some banter with they who shall not be named.

I must say, Iā€™d prefer basic athleticism if I was trying to be a professional athlete. It may help.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Itā€™s like my daughter in law who can speak fluent Spanish merely from. Hearing people speak Spanish

Never a single lesson

She doesnā€™t understand why everyone canā€™t pick up Spainsh the same way
'
To be fair, language is somewhat different that other skills. Off topic, but we have a language center in our brain - you knock it out (like a stroke), you lose your language.

We don't have a swim center in our brain, unfortunately. We actually do have sort of a running brain, in our cerebellum/medulla, which is why we don't need to specifically train run technique - our wiring figures out the best form for our ability and shape (even if it's weird looking).
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I'm sure LS wasn't wearing $600 race jammers which would give him at least 3s per 100m, making his times look a little bit better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

And so you end up with these statements that Lionel can't beat 13 year old boys but 13 year olds who are good are actually really good. And 60 year olds who grew up swimming are still really good swimmers.

dev makes excellent points here..
my son just swam a master's meet in Denver, the overall winner of 100 breaststroke was a 61-year-old..

I can about barely keep up with the high-school girls when they are doing warmup laps..
keep thinking about going to a master's meet but not sure about thrashing into last place, as dev says.. lots of work to be done before stepping on that deck..

and how many other pro triathletes are going to master's meets to humble themselves ? I like that Lionel does it..
Last edited by: doug in co: Nov 22, 23 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

And so you end up with these statements that Lionel can't beat 13 year old boys but 13 year olds who are good are actually really good. And 60 year olds who grew up swimming are still really good swimmers.

dev makes excellent points here..
my son just swam a master's meet in Denver, the overall winner of 100 breaststroke was a 61-year-old..

I can about barely keep up with the high-school girls when they are doing warmup laps..
keep thinking about going to a master's meet but not sure about thrashing into last place, as dev says.. lots of work to be done before stepping on that deck..

and how many other pro triathletes are going to master's meets to humble themselves ? I like that Lionel does it..

haha, the only other pro I know of who shows up at swim meets is Lucy Charles. She went to the British Olympic trials in 2021 for Tokyo 2021 in the 1500 free. She missed the win by 0.17 seconds in a crazy sprint finish in 16:46:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...to-ironman-champion/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And maybe it would make them faster swimmers. But the sport is triathlon. If you are a mid pack or slower swimmer, but an elite cyclist/runner, who gives them up for a (year) to concentrate on swimming, is it guaranteed to make you a faster triathlete? Say you go 90 seconds faster on the swim but you are two minutes slower on the bike and four minutes slower on the run.... Have you done yourself any favors in the sport?

-------

See this is the funny thing. This swim gain is likely the smallest gains possible with the most work to put in if you are talking S B R training, y, yet said swim gain has the biggest impact on his race in world championship level events. Full stop. He realizes that, just look at the sport. The sport has evolved, the front of fields (front group + chase groups) have greatly multipled, so that at min if you are not in the chase pack, your race is pretty much over in world championship events.

It's chess not checkers. LS clearly understands it *now*
Again his "non chase pack swim" early in his career was not the deal breaker that it is now because the fields weren't as stacked toward the front end and his "uber" bike ability could "ride through the field".....He can't do that any longer so thus his "demands of competition" have ramped up.......Hi imo would be put in the "same workout for X amount of days until you get it" strategy because until he gets this, his world class podium results are over. Full stop. So if he can't fix his S his B or R won't matter at world championship events.

If he wants to just play out the string of the rest of his career, he would follow your advice. Show up knowing he has no chance at world champ events. If he thinks he still has 1 last rally to his career, then it starts and ends with his swim to chase pack ability. Doesnā€™t mean hard work means he makes it. But it means you canā€™t apply your theory in this instance. Until the swim is improved the B and R are meaningless for podium potential.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 22, 23 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, LS's situation isn't that of typical AGers. It's kinda unique to him - top world class bike and run, but loses the race on the swim. So obviously HE has to bring up swimming or game over in the current state of competition.

That's not the same situation that typical AGers have - they've got plenty of improvement left in bike-run, even if they're weaker on swim, and there are many ways for them to achieve their goals of improvement (they're not maxxed on the bike/run like a top pro like Lionel might be.) It's pretty easy to argue that typical AGers doing HIM or IM should get their swim to an acceptable level, but then focus on improving bike-run for bang for buck time gains, since the swim is so short relative to the other two.

I'm still myself a big fan of swimming a lot esp since I race a lot of Olys. It's pretty typical for half my training volume to be swimming through an entire training cycle (and I still lag on it by a lot compared to my bike or run, sadly). I think it does help run and bike to your potential even if your swim split isn't giving you tons of time on the clock, but it's really hard to measure that.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Although I'm sure LS wasn't wearing $600 race jammers which would give him at least 3s per 100m, making his times look a little bit better.

If anybody other than you had told me the race Jammers are worth 3 secs/100m I would have called BS.....do you really think it's that much? That is almost the effect of a wetsuit for a top tier swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sander's swim meet [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
zedzded wrote:

If anybody other than you had told me the race Jammers are worth 3 secs/100m I would have called BS.....do you really think it's that much? That is almost the effect of a wetsuit for a top tier swimmer.

Wikipedia says 1.9-2.2% for elite swimmers for Speedo LZR, about 1sec/100. And that's for a full body suit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZR_Racer
Quote Reply

Prev Next