Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
HUZZAH!!

not to talk too much about the squishy stuff, but allowing the toe to float (especially in the critical 4th quandrant of the stroke) independently from the heel can be magic.

Shimano blue cleats hint at this, but with only a total of 2degrees of float (and that means only 1 degree from center in either direction) it's marginal.

Except for Speedplay and Time, most cleats are fixed at the toe regardless of how much float is offered.

There is so much misunderstanding about float, and float ranges, I look forward to your article Slowman!

I'm confused. How does the toe float independently of the heel? The shoe is rigid, and the cleat rotates around a fixed point in the cleat.

Shimano yellow cleats float more at the front of the cleat than the blues. That's where shimano cleats allow their movement. Look's allow the movement at the rear, or at least they did the last time I looked at them. But neither are at the "toe", nor is Speedplay, they all have pivot points within the area of the cleat. Speedplay is in the middle, look at the front, and shimano at the back.

The only system that doesn't have a fixed pivot is Time, as I recall, which allows the "virtual pivot point" to be almost anywhere.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [trifil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still riding Look Delta, the ones before Keo.. since I've never had a problem with them, they Just Work, and cleats are still available.

I'll probably go Shimano eventually since I don't need much float, I trust Shimano engineering, and cheaper (if not buying Ultegra).
The Shimano pedals are only Look copies but as noted their engineers historically have built solid products even at the lower price points. Though nashbar has the Keo Classic 2 for $35, can't beat that price.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just double checked, and I was incorrect. The yellow spd-sl cleats are fully floating, they allow movement at the rear and the front of the cleat, and will allow the foot to move approximately 4mm laterally.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Just double checked, and I was incorrect. The yellow spd-sl cleats are fully floating, they allow movement at the rear and the front of the cleat, and will allow the foot to move approximately 4mm laterally.

I would say that the yellow cleats allow more than 4mm of lateral movement. I have measured it at closer to a full 10mm. And Shimano don't acknowledge that movement in their spec.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I would say that the yellow cleats allow more than 4mm of lateral movement. I have measured it at closer to a full 10mm. And Shimano don't acknowledge that movement in their spec.

The amount may be pedal-specific. I checked on my original dura ace ones, the little walking pod thingies prevent more than 4mm side to side on that pedal body. Other versions may allow more movement, or less.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Bdaghisallo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

The amount may be pedal-specific. I checked on my original dura ace ones, the little walking pod thingies prevent more than 4mm side to side on that pedal body. Other versions may allow more movement, or less.

Here's an old youtube clip that demonstrates the lateral movement in the spd-sl yellow cleats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaZZN5pRUw
Quote Reply

Prev Next