Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please
Quote | Reply
I am considering moving from Speedplay to either the Look Keo Classics or Shimano Ultegra. Which pedal would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [trifil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifil wrote:
I am considering moving from Speedplay to either the Look Keo Classics or Shimano Ultegra. Which pedal would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!

I love my Shimano SPD-SL's, I've been riding them since they were released (and SPD-R's before that, although they weren't as nice). I'm still riding the original Dura-Ace ones on my TT bike, and have some Ultegra level SPD-SLs on my road bikes. They all still run as nice as the day I bought them.

If you're coming from speedplay, the Look's might be a little better as they have a 9 degree float cleat available, the Shimano's max out at 6 degrees. But if you don't need that much float, Shimano are really nice.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 23, 18 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious why you're moving from Speedplay?? I've used Speedplay pedals for 10 years and love them.

The only other pedals I have experience with is Shimano SPD for mountain biking - not much help!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curious why you would move from Speedplay as well. I shifted to Look for a short period because they stayed clipped in on their own easier. Went back to Speedplay soon after because the Looks just didn't feel as good as the Speedplays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look Keos for the float and a perceived but probably unjustifiable sense that it's easier to find their cleats in stock, and find their cleats on sale.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which version of the speedplay are you currently using and what don't you like about it and/or why are you wanting to change. Both the look and shimano pedals are different from speedplay in general and depending the speedplay you have been using maybe even more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to know why you want to move from Speedplay. Of your choices I'd choose the Shimano SPD-SL... my personal pref's are the blue cleats for training, red for racing.

I tell you what I don't love about the Shimano system is clipping in and out of them... more of a training issue since I'm not in and out while racing, but sometimes crossing roads and getting back in isn't first click... can be a safety issue if I'm crossing four lanes as I sometimes do in my semi-rural area.

A friend of mine uses Time and their system of clipping in is really nice. Put your foot on the pedal and "click" you're on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stay w/Speedplay. Better cornering, float, aerodynamics, and you don't walk on the part of the cleat that clips in.

Also, with Look-style pedals you need to master the little kick to flip up the pedal as you clip in (2:25 in the video):

FWIW, I've used Look, Time, SPD, and Speedplay at various points.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote to stay with speedplay. I've tried switching to both Shimano and Look for various reasons, and keep coming back to speedplay zeros.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my speedplays but foul weather useage is not too good especially if you go mixed terrain
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
I love my speedplays but foul weather useage is not too good especially if you go mixed terrain

That's actually probably the biggest reason I would go to SPD-SL. I run Speedplays, but if you're not doing a flying mount // shoes on the pedals, you definitely have a higher risk of jamming the cleat with transition mud on Speedplays than on SLs.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had all of the modern pedal systems except Time Pedals. Last Summer I finally tried Shimano's SPD-SL road pedals and WOW. They are so much better than Looks. Rock solid with none of the infamous "look-creaking" that I would invariably get from time to time with my Look pedals. I've been very happy with the Shimano Pedals.

BTW, I couldn't stand getting crap stuck in my speedplay cleats (cinders, mud, grass clippings). It drove me crazy keeping them cleaned, granted this was 25 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimanos feel way more secure and "bigger:" than the keo-style cleats. I hated those so much I got rid of the pedals three rides in. The Shimanos are much better.

I abhor speedplays. I think they're total junk. I never had a pair last more than a season. Bearings were just junk, cleats just broke super easily, and the lateral "float" inevitably meant that I was gouging the spindle every time I stood up. By the end of the season (though most didn't make it that long), I'd have a huge groove dug in to each spindle. Finally tossed my last pair after four years.
Last edited by: rubik: Mar 23, 18 16:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano! You will feel better contact to the pedal! I used Speedplay for years, made the change five years ago and could not be happier!
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [jchriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What made you switch?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello trifil and All,

“I’m saying this because it’s true. Inside of us, we both know that Speedplay pedals are the way of the future. You’re part of the event, the thing that’s happening. When the Speedplay pedals are available and you don’t get them, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.” (apologies to the authors)

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello trifil and All,

“I’m saying this because it’s true. Inside of us, we both know that Speedplay pedals are the way of the future. You’re part of the event, the thing that’s happening. When the Speedplay pedals are available and you don’t get them, you’ll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.” (apologies to the authors)

I have always wanted to like sp pedals. I like the concept - the two sided entry, the large measure of adjustability and the ability to fine tune the float without moving the location of the cleat. The large fore and aft range for siting the cleat is also great as is the multitude of available axle lengths. However, in use they fail to live up to their promise. The cleats get fouled easily, they are very sensitive to cleat bolt torque and to the curvature of the shoe sole. They wear very quickly and develop the dreaded rocking. I once had a pair that seemingly had the rocking built in - they rocked right out of the box with the brand new cleats! And the bearings are not great compared to others on the market. This combined with their cost and the high price of replacement cleats mean they are off my list.

I have tried them a few times and used them for almost a year about a decade ago but, invariably, I end up back on spd-sl pedals which are the benchmark for a solid and dependable pedal design, imo.

Anyone who loves the function and feel of Speedplays should give Keywin pedals a try. They max out at only six degrees of float, but they have a huge platform, a tunable float (in terms of resistance), rock solid cleat retention and they are lightweight and last forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I second the recommendation to look at Time's offerings. They offer a $90 model that is lighter than DA, with super low stack height, bio-adjustability, and a large comfortable platform that's easy to get into. More expensive models are crazy light, and offer enhanced aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After knee problems that started in 2012 I also switched from speedplay to Shimano. Less float yes but the pedal supplies a much more stable platform for my foot. Some people will argue this but my fitters agree and it is obvious for me as well.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allow me to correct some of your observations on SP issues you have faced. Unlike other pedals systems SP pedals have specific instructions for best use.

The cleats get fouled easily,: the new Walkable Cleat covers the cleat screws as well as having the "cleat buddy", a small piece that counter-turns into the cleat to effectively cover the cleat hole. can certainly commiserate if you were using the original cleat design with the outer metal plate and screws that always got munched.

they are very sensitive to cleat bolt torque: the screws only require 4Nm to secure to the baseplate, and come with blue loctite on the threads. cleat screw torque has no relation to cleat retention strength or float.

and to the curvature of the shoe sole. every SP set comes with a thicker snap shim set, to match the curvature of the sole.

They wear very quickly and develop the dreaded rocking. I once had a pair that seemingly had the rocking built in - they rocked right out of the box with the brand new cleats SP pedal bodies are entirely replaceable, but I seem to see that the older X series bodies seemed to develop wear more rapidly than Zero (these were the somewhat greyish looking bodies?). Also, excessive lateral wear of the pedal body is a prime indicator that you either need longer spindles, varus wedging or a combination of both. This is a rider biomechanical issue not an issue of the pedal materials.

And the bearings are not great compared to others on the market. Not sure how your are determining this, but regular greasing of the pedals are necessary to protect the bearings. unlike other pedals, SP pedal bodies should not freely spin on the spindle. New grease and/or seals prolong the life of the bearings.

This combined with their cost and the high price of replacement cleats mean they are off my list. $130 for Cromo Zero's and cleats that have four times the life of exposed Look or Shimano cleats.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
allow me to correct some of your observations on SP issues you have faced. Unlike other pedals systems SP pedals have specific instructions for best use.

The cleats get fouled easily,: the new Walkable Cleat covers the cleat screws as well as having the "cleat buddy", a small piece that counter-turns into the cleat to effectively cover the cleat hole. can certainly commiserate if you were using the original cleat design with the outer metal plate and screws that always got munched.

-------- I have never had to carry any accessories with me to make any other pedal/cleat system work.

they are very sensitive to cleat bolt torque: the screws only require 4Nm to secure to the baseplate, and come with blue loctite on the threads. cleat screw torque has no relation to cleat retention strength or float.

-------- Well if someone does slightly over torque the screws, the cleat springs can bind, causing them to function sub optimally. Over torquing spd-sl cleat bolts, otoh, has no effect on the function of that system.

and to the curvature of the shoe sole. every SP set comes with a thicker snap shim set, to match the curvature of the sole.

------- I have had issues that neither of the standard shim sets solved. I eventually had to beg SP to send me some old shims that somewhat fixed my issue. Never had this issue with spd-sl, Keywin or any of the Time pedals and cleats I used over the years.

They wear very quickly and develop the dreaded rocking. I once had a pair that seemingly had the rocking built in - they rocked right out of the box with the brand new cleats SP pedal bodies are entirely replaceable, but I seem to see that the older X series bodies seemed to develop wear more rapidly than Zero (these were the somewhat greyish looking bodies?). Also, excessive lateral wear of the pedal body is a prime indicator that you either need longer spindles, varus wedging or a combination of both. This is a rider biomechanical issue not an issue of the pedal materials.

------ Exactly the point. SPD-SL pedals don't exhibit this rock in the first place so any bonus of being able to replace pedal bodies is moot.

And the bearings are not great compared to others on the market. Not sure how your are determining this, but regular greasing of the pedals are necessary to protect the bearings. unlike other pedals, SP pedal bodies should not freely spin on the spindle. New grease and/or seals prolong the life of the bearings.

------ I have spd-sl pedals that are ten years old and have never needed to be serviced and they spin as nicely as the day I bought them. The fact that SP markets a specific grease gun tool to service their pedals, whereas other brands don't because there isn't the need, tells all.

This combined with their cost and the high price of replacement cleats mean they are off my list. $130 for Cromo Zero's and cleats that have four times the life of exposed Look or Shimano cleats.

----- I would much rather have to ride with a two year old spd-sl or Keywin cleat than a 2 yr old SP cleat.

But I guess, as with most things, to each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:

That's actually probably the biggest reason I would go to SPD-SL. I run Speedplays, but if you're not doing a flying mount // shoes on the pedals, you definitely have a higher risk of jamming the cleat with transition mud on Speedplays than on SLs.

This exact thing happened to me when I had speedplay zeros. Soon switched to shimano ultegra and could not be happier :) Speedplays are great if you need the extra float but if not then the extra maintenance isn't worth it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [jchriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved to Shimano when I moved up to a better bike, my fitter said I would ride better with them! I really like that my foot feels flat across the entire shoe, I felt my foot was falling off the the side of the pedal.. Anyway I would not go back, just wasn't happy with them.. BTW I rode Speedplay pedlas for at least 13 Ironman races or approx 13 years races so I know what I don't like about them, and yes they do gunk up easier than other pedles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode Speedplay for many years and liked them. Switched to M2 Racer pedals and when they went out of business to Time. Loved the Time Xpresso 12’s but wore out cleats and went thru a few bearings wearing out within a 5 year span. I went then to Look Carbon ti Blades. They never flipped up and getting into them was a chore and the did have the dreaded Look creak. I tried for a year to get used to them. Then switched and still on Shimano Dura Ace 9100 pedals. They flip up so I can clip in. The float feels perfect, creak free and the bearings feel awesome. On the Blue Shimano cleat.
Quote Reply
Re: pedals - moving from Speedplay - advice please [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the stack height difference including cleats Speedplay Zero (w/ 3 hole adapter) vs Shimano 9100? I'm not really a speedplay lover, but I run the Zero Aero pedals for low stack (coming from PowerTap pedals on my previous bike). Wouldn't mind something nicer if I don't have to raise my saddle and handlebars much/any.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next