Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a complete moron. I just received an order of Michelin latex tubes and didn't realize they didn't have removable cores. Can't use my screw-in valve extenders with these, so they're worthless. #Facepalm

Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
I'm a complete moron. I just received an order of Michelin latex tubes and didn't realize they didn't have removable cores. Can't use my screw-in valve extenders with these, so they're worthless. #Facepalm

How much do you want for them?
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Super D wrote:

How much do you want for them?

$15 for two 60mm unused, how's that?

But you'd have to pick them up in San Diego. If I have to ship them, I'll jump off the Coronado bay bridge. That is a curiosity, though... Wonder how many flips I could get on the way down..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:

But you'd have to pick them up in San Diego. If I have to ship them, I'll jump off the Coronado bay bridge. That is a curiosity, though... Wonder how many flips I could get on the way down..

Good price but I'm in Florida, therefore will have to pass. Someone will surely jump on these.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Super D wrote:

Good price but I'm in Florida, therefore will have to pass. Someone will surely jump on these.

Darn it, was kind of looking forward to the bridge flyer. I will live to ride another day. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size of valve extender do i need for HED jet 9 black front wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the length of the valve that your tube has.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Depends on the length of the valve that your tube has.

Sorry, i didn't ask correctly.

What size of valve my latex tube should have to fit in HED 9 front wheel?(corsa speed open tlr 23mm tire)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90mm wheel should have at least 105mm total length valve, so that could be a 51mm Vittoria with 60mm+ valve extender, 42mm SILCA with 70mm+ extender. 60mm Michelin with 45mm+ extender

There are a bunch of ways to get there, but tube valve + extender needs to be 105mm or greater to guarantee functionality with all pump heads and CO2 regulators. Also be sure to get an extra extender or 2 for your spare!

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED includes extenders with their wheels that are sized for 41mm valve stems. I have not measured it, but I think it is 75mm. I like the HED extenders because they say "HED" on them. I happen to have a 51mm Vittoria latex tube in my front wheel, so my HED extension pokes out extra far.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, why the flying eff you cee kay do no companies make an extended valve latex tube? I'd do it, but I'm not going to run extenders.

I searched hard online the other night, no equivalent to a standard 80ish mm length stem you can find in a normal butyl tube.

Grrrrr.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Ok, why the flying eff you cee kay do no companies make an extended valve latex tube? I'd do it, but I'm not going to run extenders.

I searched hard online the other night, no equivalent to a standard 80ish mm length stem you can find in a normal butyl tube.

Grrrrr.

Been discussed a few times in other forums.....just not a big market for latex tubes so valve length choices are very limited. You can buy extenders in various lengths to match up best with your wheels. Connect them correctly and you should have no problems. Really no reason not to use. I prefer the silca/enve versions with the rubberized section to avoid the rattle.
Last edited by: gphin305: Mar 15, 18 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
The best way to patch latex tubes is by using a bit of an old latex tube and superglue.
Normal tyre glue squirms and the patches usually develop slow leaks.
Superglue just works and is ready in seconds.
Huh? Do you let the glue sit a bit before applying the patch (as you are supposed to)? I use standard Rema patches and Rema vulcanizing fluid on latex tubes *all* *the* *time* and it works much better than on butyl tubes. You don't even have to sand the tube down. Within about 24 hours the patch bonds so thoroughly to the latex that it literally looks and acts like it is part of the original tube material. If it weren't a different color, I don't think you could even tell there was a patch there, and there's certainly no way you could get it off no matter how hard you tried. It's seamless. On butyl that never happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nup, use the six seconds stuff, glue it , ride it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rema green cement works with latex very well. Personally I don't use standard patches as they don't streach as good as the latex ones. I cut patches from old vredestein tube (the lightest of all of them).
Before applying glue I use alcohol based cleaner.
I tried all available, to my knowladge, latex tubes on the market, at least in Europe.
For ultimate performance and weight - Vredestein (I think Veloflex use them in their tubs). On the other side Michelin with its over 80g and not removable valve core tube. Not a big problem if you don't use valve extenders and not planning use sealant.
But still why would anybody prefer heavier tube over lighter one? Vittoria pink is ok red Challenge too.
The other one, which seems to be very rear, is purple Vittoria latex tube It's lighter than it's pink sister and have threaded valve.

It is good too.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The purple Vittoria tubes have not been made for some years now and were replaced by the pink ones which are slightly thicker and contain modifiers to improve heat resistance. The purple Vittoria and also the Vredestein are too light/thin and were highly susceptible to heat failure when used on carbon rims. The pink latex which Vittoria is now using is more tolerant of heat, and also loses less air overnight due to a combination of compounding of the material and also the slightly greater thickness of the latex itself. The end result is a few grams heavier, but significantly more robust.

When developing the SILCA latex tube, we found the pink Vittoria latex formulation and construction method to be far and away the most consistent, most durable and most heat resistant of all the manufacturers. If you haven't been on latex tubes for a few years or had bad experience in the past, you will find the current state of technology here to be a notable step forward and certainly worth a few grams of weight increase.

https://silca.cc/...cts/latex-inner-tube

Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh, any issues with using the Silca latex tubes in a 22mm tire (Conti Attack) on an older (i.e. narrower) 404 rim?
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly, the larger tube will work fine in that setup as that tire is likely 23-24mm when mounted, just be extra careful during the install as larger tubes are easier to pinch in narrower setups. Be sure to use tubeless tape to give yourself some extra room and also make install easier and also check the full circumference of both beads well before inflating and you'll be fine.

Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about a 20 mm supersonic on zipp fc or nsw 808? Is the silca tube suitable for that narrow of tire or is a vittoria tube better off?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej - just ordered the Silca latex inner tube and rim tape. i'll report back about how it works with my old narrow Hed H3 wheel with Conti Grand Prix 4000s 20mm tire.

UPDATE: The Silca/Conti/Hed combo works fine. In other words, the Silca 700x24-30mm tube can be used with the Conti 700x20 tire. I also used 1 wrap of Silca Platinum rim tape (but doubled it over the tube stem hole).

I inflated to 120psi no problem; however I have not actually put the wheel on a bike for a ride.

I should also tell you that the Conti/Hed combo is tight. And by tight I mean the tightest tire I've ever put on, and no way to put the tire on without a tire lever. But it worked fine with the Silca tube, and no worse than a smaller (700x18-25) butyl tube.
Last edited by: Bru: Apr 3, 18 20:32
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that I owe you few words of explanation regarding Victoria purple inner tubes.
I stated above that they were good, because I was sure that one of my wheels is equipped with this inner tube....
Well... yesterday I decided to prepare my 808nsw for the new season. For curiosity, since I bought them I have been riding using supplied butyl inner tubes. I felt that the ride was a bit harsher comparred to Veloflex tubs and for example Open Pave with latex inner tubes.
So decided to mount purple Victorias. At that point I realized that my other wheelset is not on purple Victorias (I have four different brands of latex tubes, hence the confusion ).
Ererything was mounted, one wheel pumped to 30-40psi, when pumping the other one, again within the range of 30-40psi I heard pssssssss. When pulling the tyre of the rim, the other wheel produced the same sound pssssss.
What I found both tubes had a punctures within 10cm from the valve. In fact one tube had already two patches in this area.
Of course rim tapes were perfect, nothing thay could couse these failures. And the patched tube never been mounted on these wheels.
Under close inspection I found that the inner part ofthe tube, where all four failures occurred, is discoloured.
Long story short, it looks like the latex material is in advanced deterioration state.
Finally enden up with pink Victorias, 100psi, no issues.
Well still having few unpacked purple inner tubes I will have supplies of latex patches for decades to come :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you manage to get the tube in with this wheel/tyre combination ok?
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esox.flucius - just placed the order 3 days ago and it hasn't arrived yet. hopefully I can work on it this weekend (4/7/18).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bru, look forward to your answer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next