Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Does anyone have any experience running latex full time. Is this possible/advisable?

It would be one less thing to "change" right before my race. I am riding pancake flat training so heat buildup in descents won't be an issue (if that is one, so I hear). Don't mind pumping up every ride so not concerned about that either.

Yes it is fine. If you are riding latex though in training chances are you are interested in going fast. In which cases you should probably be swapping out tires as well for races.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge makes latex tubes for 700x38 tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:
Which brand of latex tubes would you pair with GP4000iis 700x23 on HED Jet Black 60/90 and Disc?

Are they all basically the same or are the Vittoria, Bontrager, Specialized, or Michelin's any better than the rest?

Thanks for you recommendations!

I have used them all and have been on Vittoria Latex for the last many years. Although Josh at Silca is coming out with some branded latex tubes which are *pink* but have shorter valve stems which would be ideal for disc rims.

Wow, $25 per tube at Amazon right now. I need some for this season but at that price I be shopping elsewhere.

It looks like Micheline is a good deal from overseas at around $8 per tube.

Yeah you can usually find them cheaper overseas. I am not fan of Michelin for the fact they don't have removable cores.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

My question is are latex tubes patched the same way as rubber tubes?

Thanks.

It has come up before on here but this isn't something I have done. It can be done from what I know but I never have tried and can't speak to it.

Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
svennn wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:
Which brand of latex tubes would you pair with GP4000iis 700x23 on HED Jet Black 60/90 and Disc?

Are they all basically the same or are the Vittoria, Bontrager, Specialized, or Michelin's any better than the rest?

Thanks for you recommendations!

I have used them all and have been on Vittoria Latex for the last many years. Although Josh at Silca is coming out with some branded latex tubes which are *pink* but have shorter valve stems which would be ideal for disc rims.

Wow, $25 per tube at Amazon right now. I need some for this season but at that price I be shopping elsewhere.

It looks like Micheline is a good deal from overseas at around $8 per tube.

Yeah you can usually find them cheaper overseas. I am not fan of Michelin for the fact they don't have removable cores.

This.

Consider the specific use. For example, a H3/Renn combo is perfect for the Michelin because the Valve Stem is the perfect length. For deep wheels, Vittoria/Challenge would be preferable due to the RVC.

Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [P McCatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P McCatty wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

This.

Consider the specific use. For example, a H3/Renn combo is perfect for the Michelin because the Valve Stem is the perfect length. For deep wheels, Vittoria/Challenge would be preferable due to the RVC.

Yep and I am pretty sure this is where Josh at Silica found an opportunity to make latex tubes providing a Vittoria like durability and RVC, with the shorty stem of Michelin.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
P McCatty wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

This.

Yep and I am pretty sure this is where Josh at Silica found an opportunity to make latex tubes providing a Vittoria like durability and RVC, with the shorty stem of Michelin.

Silca makes latex tubes? Did I miss something?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two that were sent to me to test out but no idea on future availability of sale to public. If I had to guess they are made by Vittoria to Silca spec with a shorter valve stem. I haven’t seen anyone else talk about them and maybe I wasn’t supposed to mentioned it but I did. Can’t put that genie back in the bottle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Interesting. I was hoping about a year ago that Silca would come out with their own. If they come out with a shorter valve stem, I'm going to have to redo all my valve extenders. :(

Thanks

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best way to patch latex tubes is by using a bit of an old latex tube and superglue.
Normal tyre glue squirms and the patches usually develop slow leaks.
Superglue just works and is ready in seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like Challenge latex. Removable valve cores, never had a bad one, good selection of sizes, and not too expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
I really like Challenge latex. Removable valve cores, never had a bad one, good selection of sizes, and not too expensive.

It has been about six years since I used a Challenge latex tube. Do they still come with greasy coating?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the stem length on the Vittoria's?
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
51 mm

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
what is the stem length on the Vittoria's?

51mm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...r-tube/rp-prod124087

Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

I just noticed my local shop has these for about the same price as Vittoria. I think I'll try them out and support my local shop some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

It has been about six years since I used a Challenge latex tube. Do they still come with greasy coating?

They are talc-ish just like the Vittoria or Michelins. Doesn't talc get greasy if wet? Anyways, I'm another who like Challenge...
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woodys737 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

They are talc-ish just like the Vittoria or Michelins. Doesn't talc get greasy if wet? Anyways, I'm another who like Challenge...

Sounds like the formula has changed since I last used them. They definitely were not talced way back when like Vittoria, Mich, and Vred.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Sounds like the formula has changed since I last used them. They definitely were not talced way back when like Vittoria, Mich, and Vred.

I noticed a change whenever their packaging changed about 3 years back. When they went from the clear plastic "case" to the paperboard boxes there was a distinct change in the tubes. Tubes seemed less translucent (more pink than red) and also had more talc pre-applied. I currently use the 28-35 mm Challenge tubes for my 25 and 27 mm road tires. My 23 mm TT tires I use the 19-23 mm Vittoria tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I noticed a change whenever their packaging changed about 3 years back. When they went from the clear plastic "case" to the paperboard boxes there was a distinct change in the tubes. Tubes seemed less translucent (more pink than red) and also had more talc pre-applied. I currently use the 28-35 mm Challenge tubes for my 25 and 27 mm road tires. My 23 mm TT tires I use the 19-23 mm Vittoria tubes.

A yes, I was used to the clear plastic case. Sounds like they definitely changed the formula, may have to try Challenge now too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to give Vittoria latex a shot. Never used rim tape before and read it's suggested to use with latex. Any recommendations on brand and size? Velox rim tape 16mm good? Zipp 808 wheels
Last edited by: TriathleteWes: Feb 10, 18 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [TriathleteWes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathleteWes wrote:
Going to give Vittoria latex a shot. Never used rim tape before and read it's suggested to use with latex. Any recommendations on brand and size? Velox rim tape 16mm good?

I don't like the cloth rim tape myself - I much prefer Stan's Rim Tape. Stan's 21mm tape should work depending on which wheels you have.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I have two that were sent to me to test out but no idea on future availability of sale to public. If I had to guess they are made by Vittoria to Silca spec with a shorter valve stem. I haven’t seen anyone else talk about them and maybe I wasn’t supposed to mentioned it but I did. Can’t put that genie back in the bottle.

Could you tell them to make long stem ones too? That is the unicorn a lot of the deep dish wheel users want. Some 80mm stems and 110mm (or so) versions would be great to not deal with valve extenders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Silca latex tube info on Bikerumor: https://www.bikerumor.com/...ew-larger-seat-roll/
Quote Reply

Prev Next