Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is still cool.
Problem is
1) cost. I can afford it but I prob costs me about 10k in direct and indirect costs yearly excluding the bike. Not many can do that. My local Olympic race is charging $190 this year. I paid $225 for 70.3FL. Makes it very hard to support local races.

2) it’s difficult. People are damn lazy. Nobody wants to deal with 2-3 hrs of daily working out to be good at it and waking up at 4 or sacrificing lunch to get a swim in. Consider that a very good runner who averages 60 miles per week can do this in 8 hours, while 8 hours will get u to finish line in 16 hours in an IM.

3) the swim is a barrier and it deters people who otherwise would be willing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some ideas I have thought about to increase sustainability for events:

-plan to do the event every other year rather than annually.

-announce new event will only be done for limited years....3 years and done....offer another event in another location for next 3 years....only here for a limited time, like the McRib...get its while its hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Triathlon is still cool.
Problem is
1) cost. I can afford it but I prob costs me about 10k in direct and indirect costs yearly excluding the bike. Not many can do that. My local Olympic race is charging $190 this year. I paid $225 for 70.3FL. Makes it very hard to support local races.

2) it’s difficult. People are damn lazy. Nobody wants to deal with 2-3 hrs of daily working out to be good at it and waking up at 4 or sacrificing lunch to get a swim in. Consider that a very good runner who averages 60 miles per week can do this in 8 hours, while 8 hours will get u to finish line in 16 hours in an IM.

3) the swim is a barrier and it deters people who otherwise would be willing.

Agree with #1

Completely disagree with #2. I did an IM on about 8-9 hours of training a week 4 years ago and went sub 11:30 at IMWI. Also people are not lazy if they don't train 2-3 hours per week. However, many feel this is what is needed to do triathlon and that is becoming a HUGE barrier for many.

Plenty of high performing amateurs in a wide variety of sport train under 2-3 hours a day. But yes many in our country are lazy but those I believe are not really involved in this discussion.

#3. Thoughts on cycling become almost an equal barrier for those that want to get involved but only hear about the bike-car accidents?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
I also think this series is doing it all wrong...https://www.igniteswimrun.com/minnesota

.....charging to much for entry and trying to big deal in SwimRun.....$400 for a 2 person team?

if this same event was produced locally for $160 for a 2 person team, not trying to be to "fancy" but playing up the coolness of challenge with a post race get together at the local brewery they would have a better chance of making this a success.....how did Otillio get started again???

Unfortunately they don't seem to have learned from Ironman and other triathlons. They are glomming on to the popularity of SwimRun and jamming a high-price tag down the throats of participants by being one of the only local events. Like pouring lighter fluid on a fire, the flame will burn bright for a bit but it will die off when the initial intensity goes away. Why not charge a reasonable entry fee to start with and keep the event low key? As you stated . . like Otillo.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misery wrote:
This is a great discussion, and I bet there are elements from almost all of the posts so far that are true influencers on where the sport finds itself.

I am in Year 4. Year 1 I did a few sprints on a cheap bike with borrowed tri bars that I didn’t use because I wasn’t comfortable on them. Year 2 I did sprint, Olympic, and half. All local races. All with a great buzz. All with lots of new entrants. But there seems to be a drive always to go longer. To turn the training into a second job. To buy speed (as guilty as the next man). To slowly squeeze the fun out of it....

I did my IM in year 3 and a local full last year, but started getting into ultra running events because they are cheap, logistically easy, and it is considered fine to aim to complete at your own pace. The buzz is brilliant. People talk to you.

This year I am trying a new approach. Not going to monitor my CTL or TSS. Not going to swim in a pool once, just going to have fun. I will do events that pick my fancy, but probably local. I will spend hours racing on zwift because it is awesome, even if it isn’t proper training.

Bit of a ramble, but I do think the sport has a bit of a problem with itself. It has lost a bit of its fun. It used to be okay to have a giggle while you waited to start. I recall a competitor with a basket bike and a huge smile on her face. I think when you get hooked on this sport you get sucked towards going long, and then you become a bit of a bore, which makes you a very poor salesman for the sport to new entrants. Oh, that bloke from the office who does they triathlon thing? He has to wake up at 5am every morning to work out before coming to the office, and whenever I ask him how his race went he tells me it was awful and he spent his time pooping his pants in a portaloo.

Both my kids go to a local tri club, and they love it. They both get to race once or twice a year, but it is one of 4 sports they do, and this club exists entirely because of the efforts of 2 people. And for every 10 adult triathlon clubs, I bet there isn’t even 1 junior club. Compare that to cricket, soccer, baseball, etc....

We triathletes are too self obsessed to run junior clubs. That is, after all, lost training time.

Heck, that rambling post almost reached a conclusion right there. I have surprised myself!

This is an excellent post. Especially coming from a screen name of Misery. :)

But I think this is getting to the heart of the matter. Triathlon has come to take itself way too seriously. I don't think the emphasis on long-course has helped either. The training is ridiculous.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The decline also appears, on the surface anyway, to be somewhat uniquely North American. The brits, aussies, kiwis, and european nations in general all seem to be cranking out new races, clubs, and events that are full of entrants and successes. The US stands to get it's butt handed to them at the Collins cup later this year. Meanwhile other nations have talented fields that go generations deep.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The decline also appears, on the surface anyway, to be somewhat uniquely North American. The brits, aussies, kiwis, and european nations in general all seem to be cranking out new races, clubs, and events that are full of entrants and successes. The US stands to get it's butt handed to them at the Collins cup later this year. Meanwhile other nations have talented fields that go generations deep.

Yes, good point, Paul.

Doubly Ironic, because, arguably North America (San Diego) is the birth-place of triathlon many of the endemic businesses and brands that depend on the triathlon market and sell into it, have head-offices and corporate headquarters in North America!

Anecdotally, I hear and see the sport is growing in the places you mention as well as South America, and Asia (China in particular). The Wanda Corp. bought the IRONMAN brand, with a hope/plan, to really make it big in China/Asia - and not necessarily attaching that IRONMAN name/brand with triathlon.

Part of the reason for the above, is that in North America, we have this strange relationship with endurance sports. Unlike many other countries, they are NEVER really treated-as and looked upon as sports. Notice what get's the media attention over here in Endurance Sports - either Lance Armstrong level scandal, or some guy running a marathon-a-day for a year for some cause. So it's either extreme scandal or extreme freak-show! There is no middle of the road. No coverage of running, cycling triathlon and other endurance sports . . as sports!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There you go. Someone finally said it. Fleck pointed out the main reason why triathlon is where it is in the pecking order of sports.

In the USA, the perception(and the reality for many) is that triathlon and cycling are the lowest of the low in the hierarchy of sports. Tri and cycling are the sports you try when you are unsuccessful at the other sports. They are the sports you get into when you are trying to prove to yourself and other people that you are an "athlete." Anyone can train their *ss off, get into good physical/fitness shape, buy some expensive gear and complete a tri/cycling event. A bicycle is nothing more than a child's toy. Crossfitters have the same image. It is all about the training/suffering and little to do with natural athleticism/skill. That is the perception out there.

A good analogy of another sport that suffers from a bad image is Badminton. Badminton is a very demanding sport. It is very popular in other parts of the world, but not the USA. In the USA it is looked upon as as something kids play in the backyard like croquet. Sad.

BTW, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relaying info.
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Cmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the age-old battle and challenge here in North America. All endurance sports - running, cycling, triathlon etc . . are WAY off the radar screen. The Pro Team sports, cheifly, football, baseball, basketball and hockey DOMINATE all sports coverage, with a sprinkling of golf, tennis and a bit of auto-racing (NASCAR). That's it.

When you go to all other countries in the world outside of the U.S. and Canada, what you notice if you are a sports fan, is that NONE of the big four here, are anywhere! Soccer (the real football) is #1 almost everywhere, and surprisingly cycling in many countries is the #2 sport that is followed, that the media pays attention to, and the top pro cyclists are real stars. THUS, in the #2 slot is an endurance sport - so there is an understanding and respect-for endurance sports, and thus it follows that running, and triathlon, ALSO get a good amount of media coverage and more importantly, get a high degree of respect from the general public.

What's odd is that if you add up all the runners, cyclists and triathletes in North America, the total number I've seen tossed around, is in the 60-million+ range - a sizable number, but it's like, they don't even exist!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Cmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmore wrote:
In the USA, the perception(and the reality for many) is that triathlon and cycling are the lowest of the low in the hierarchy of sports. Tri and cycling are the sports you try when you are unsuccessful at the other sports. They are the sports you get into when you are trying to prove to yourself and other people that you are an "athlete." BTW, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relaying info.

i used to think that. until lucas verzbicas came along, and became in my mind the second best runner in american high school history, behind jim ryun. off triathlon training. and i thought, well, that's a one-off. until i started to look around and saw daniel vertiz, tony smoragowicz, andy trouard, and others, including the womens, rising to the top of the running world. cycling? some years back i was talking to (world cycling champ) emma pooley, and she noted that pretty much all the top time trialists came from triathlon.

and then i reflected back to the fact that nobody ever comes to triathlon after a successful single sport career - from any country - and does well.

do you think this kid is does what he does because he can't excel in other sports?

i'm not saying a top triathlete would have been a good football player. and yes, there are good football or baseball players who would have been great triathletes. i just don't think it's quite as simple as your statement.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 14, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Cmore wrote:
In the USA, the perception(and the reality for many) is that triathlon and cycling are the lowest of the low in the hierarchy of sports. Tri and cycling are the sports you try when you are unsuccessful at the other sports. They are the sports you get into when you are trying to prove to yourself and other people that you are an "athlete." BTW, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relaying info.

i used to think that. until lucas verzbicas came along, and became in my mind the second best runner in american high school history, behind jim ryun. off triathlon training. and i thought, well, that's a one-off. until i started to look around and saw daniel vertiz, tony smoragowicz, andy trouard, and others, including the womens, rising to the top of the running world. cycling? some years back i was talking to (world cycling champ) emma pooley, and she noted that pretty much all the top time trialists came from triathlon.

and then i reflected back to the fact that nobody ever comes to triathlon after a successful single sport career - from any country - and does well.

do you think this kid is does what he does because he can't excel in other sports?

i'm not saying a top triathlete would have been a good football player. and yes, there are good football or baseball players who would have been great triathletes. i just don't think it's quite as simple as your statement.

Sorry, I def disagree with you.

In all the 'major' track n field sports, there is a path to collegiate excellence and even (European) pro circuits that are lucrative. In contrast, pro triathletes make a pittance in comparison, unless you're top 5 in the world.

I def think that in the USA, aside from the rare anomaly, it's still 'go to the single sport and excel' for the truly talented. Even Lucas V - when he went to college, he ended up ditching triathlon to focus exclusively on track n field (whether that was a wise move is open to debate.)
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Cmore wrote:

Sorry, I def disagree with you.

In all the 'major' track n field sports, there is a path to collegiate excellence and even (European) pro circuits that are lucrative. In contrast, pro triathletes make a pittance in comparison, unless you're top 5 in the world.

I def think that in the USA, aside from the rare anomaly, it's still 'go to the single sport and excel' for the truly talented. Even Lucas V - when he went to college, he ended up ditching triathlon to focus exclusively on track n field (whether that was a wise move is open to debate.)

i think you're disagreeing with some other me. not the actual me. i didn't saying anything about being a pro triathlete. lucas v should have ditched triathlon. not because of money or status or prestige, but because he was a better runner than he was a triathlete. emma pooley and kristin armstrong were better cyclists than triathletes. as was lance.

sometimes people do what they do because they're good at that thing they're doing. sometimes they do what they do because they like doing what they're doing. the notion that triathletes are triathletes because they're not good enough to do anything else with excellence is as hold as the hills, and the single sport athletes who've tried triathlon, or who train with triathletes, know better.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Here are some ideas I have thought about to increase sustainability for events:

-plan to do the event every other year rather than annually.

-announce new event will only be done for limited years....3 years and done....offer another event in another location for next 3 years....only here for a limited time, like the McRib...get its while its hot.

I think this is a good model, people always like something new. Surprisingly, I don' think I have ever seen this, maybe there is some strong negative we are missing? Even for stalwart local events, it can be hard to keep up the momentum for extended periods, or at least keep up the numbers enough to make it financially viable.

One issues for RDs is there is some capital necessary to produce races and you need to produce a certain number of event with regularity to make it financially viable. Maybe as you suggest, could have "paired" events, with only have one event in the pair every other year. For example, Comrades marathon event in South Africa (which is hugely significant even there), alternates courses every year (it's a point to point), each year they go a different direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#3. Thoughts on cycling become almost an equal barrier for those that want to get involved but only hear about the bike-car accidents?

-------

The reason i started tri's in 1999 was converting from MTB to road was cliquey and annoying. So i looked up a triathlon. The local bike club the next year asked me to join bike race team once i showed their cliquey group triathletes are actually good riders. I was rather "FUQ" about that to be honest. This is not to say i havent done a lot of bike racing, that sport has not changed at all!!

Fast forward to now i see triathlon the same cliquey culture. I think that, and the super competitive results based culture thats come with it (like bike racing) is whats killing it. And i think the welcoming vibe of ultras and running is whats contributing to their growth.

Days end besdes the financial barriers etc. The fun of triathlon has just been sucked out.

As Fleck and i have talked about outside ST, I do not believe triathlon returns to growth mode in North America. Not even Gwen's gold in Rio and the epicness of that run battle has made an impression to suggest that IMO.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started racing 7 years ago and it was typical M40-44 was largest field for IM events. Now that mass of men are in M45-49 but see no signs of growth in younger AG. Look at the new list for IMTX. 516 in M45-49, 295 in M50-54 and 195 in M55-59...... No new blood entering the sport. Has to come from growth in the Woman field perhaps but for the younger generation it is too expensive and time consuming. People are having babies too later in life..... IM is becoming a "Play Boy Sport".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about North America as a whole, but in the central MS area participation has gone down tremendously. Here are the individual finishers numbers from one of our bigger races here, The Heatwave Classic:

2010 - 421
2011 - 306
2012 - 350
2013 - 239
2014 - 298
2015 - 269
2016 - 217
2017 - 157

We had a pretty massive group in the area racing IM Chatt in 2014, and since then interest in the sport has dwindled dramatically. I raced AG Nationals that year instead to experience racing at that level (spoiler: they're fast). I think after that the majority of the IM finishers here as well as myself reached the point of wondering what there was left to do.

You reach a point in the sport where you're either a casual triathlete with not many check boxes left after your IM finish or a competitive racer where the gap between you and the next guy is so vast that the amount of additional training time needed to jump to the next level isn't sustainable if you want to have a family and career at the same time. At that point you either stagnate or just move on, which a lot of people in my area are doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The millennial demographic is what really died. I see the big movement amongst them is something called "November project" . There is likely one in your area . Check it out, take notes. Main reason is their use of local athletic coaches of varying back ground with great social media presence. Also everything is grass roots
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good thoughts, but i think another thing that would possibly increase the popularity of racing is if racing wasn't such a big deal.

when i start running as a teen, the local running club held races in the park the first saturday of every month. they cost $2, and were timed by a guy at the finish line holding a stopwatch. no tshirts, no charity, no medals. if you wanted to show up and hammer with a few fast guys, or push a pram, or jog a training day with your friends, it was all fine. hell, when i was in grad school there was a similar series (also $2) of spring and fall cross-country races held on week nights.

following that model, most people could race at least 10x/year, plus pick a few big out of town or larger local races.

if you had simple, short, cheap local tris and dus (and whatever else - runs, rides, skis, snowshoes) you could nurture a general endurance/multisport community. the master's swimmer, or highschool runner, or skier, that has an ancient schwinn 10-speed in his garage, might jump into that kind of tri for a cool challenge. but he's not paying $350 to do a branded 70.3 that's 150 miles from home.

i feel like we've increasingly tried to convince people that racing should be expensive and infrequent and complicated and high-commitment. i think it should be the total opposite.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

i feel like we've increasingly tried to convince people that racing should be expensive and infrequent and complicated and high-commitment. i think it should be the total opposite.

-mike

Love it. Is the goal to get the most people doing tris or to get the most $ from people doing tris? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we have situations like the Moats' bust, which took decades to finally happen, I think a lot of athletes are going to pass on triathlon. He is not an isolated case, lots of cheaters out there I fear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan said in his article winners will be "those who produce good and safe events"....and then I read from like 10 people "back in the day it was so easy and cheap to do races"....so my question becomes, how do you as a RD produce good and safe events when you have the logistic issues that you have in our society in 2018. 30 years ago, yall showed up and S-B-R no matter what the conditions. 6' swells? Yall just did it, you didn't debate it, you didn't worry about water safety, you just pulled up your big boy pants and raced.

So my question becomes, is the answer to go rural only racing to cut costs and simply "race" and not worry about all the permits, etc....just do the bare minimum to get the race off the ground. Which I think is going to be targeting experienced athletes, as large majority of 1st time triathletes want some type of pool type of event, to "get through it" and then move into OW swim venues.

About 2.5 years ago here in Raleigh which is a very thriving multisport endurance community, there was about a 1 year time line where about every 2ish months, there was an actual free triathlon/duathlon.....transition area, course, etc., that was basically out in the rural area and basically RD didn't get any permits, simply showed up race, and left (they may have rented the transition area, but there were no cops on the course, just a few signs for the bike course etc). It was a great thing, and wanna know how many people showed up for those races? Not even 60 people on average. Maybe it was poor marketing, maybe the wrong person running it, etc., whatever the reason, no one showed up for these events. And they were FREE, just sign the waiver. And Raleigh has a ton of endurance athletes.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
good thoughts, but i think another thing that would possibly increase the popularity of racing is if racing wasn't such a big deal.

when i start running as a teen, the local running club held races in the park the first saturday of every month. they cost $2, and were timed by a guy at the finish line holding a stopwatch. no tshirts, no charity, no medals. if you wanted to show up and hammer with a few fast guys, or push a pram, or jog a training day with your friends, it was all fine. hell, when i was in grad school there was a similar series (also $2) of spring and fall cross-country races held on week nights.

following that model, most people could race at least 10x/year, plus pick a few big out of town or larger local races.

if you had simple, short, cheap local tris and dus (and whatever else - runs, rides, skis, snowshoes) you could nurture a general endurance/multisport community. the master's swimmer, or highschool runner, or skier, that has an ancient schwinn 10-speed in his garage, might jump into that kind of tri for a cool challenge. but he's not paying $350 to do a branded 70.3 that's 150 miles from home.

-mike

Running now has Parkrun http://www.parkrun.us/

a free 5K every week....I plan to hit up a few this spring and have already volunteered at one because I believe in it.....a Triathlon equivalent?...its going to be tougher to pull off but I am not saying it couldn't be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed, multisport is logistically more complicated (and therefore possibly more expensive). i used to put on a swim/run duathlon in a local park that was cheap as chips, though. it can be done.

more to the point for me is creating a sport that generally 'athletic' people can hop into without huge expense or commitment. again, i'm imagining the guy who plays rec league soccer, or who's keen on nordic skiing or something, and has an old half-decent road bike in the garage. he'll show up and race something local, cheap and low-key, that's short-to-middle distance. he'll do it with a buddy, or as cross-training, or whatever. i know because i got those people out to my race.

but that guy just isn't going to drive a few hours down the road to do a big branded m-dot race with 1500 other people on $8000 bikes and stuff.

anyway, i'd love more off-brand, off-distance, off-format options. i like those and i race 'em.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so glad someone brought up parkrun (always lowercase). I helped start the one in Clermont, Florida 4 years ago. While we haven't increased dramatically in numbers, we have given a lot of people a starting point. We've had quite a few 40 min 5kers break 20 min, get into triathlon, and join the community. parkrun has a community feel and a low barrier to entry, so it's great for families, kids, single people, older people looking to be active. For many people one of the highlights is post run coffee and breakfast and getting to know each other.
I know of about 5 starting in the US in the near future, many were added last year in US and Canada too.
10-20% of our participants weekly are foreigners on vacation who want to visit a parkrun. parkrun tourism is an actual thing too. Many of our regulars have participated in parkruns across the globe in their travels.
I think this movement can directly impact the lifestyle piece of endurance sports and create a movement of participation again. I do not think triathlon is going to be the catalyst if triathlon is to rebound.

https://www.wsj.com/...-run-a-5k-1499697587

http://www.GearforMultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bold Prediction - Triathlon to Rebound in 2018? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:

When I everested, I was mostly alone and there was 0 entry fee.

Zero entry fee, thats correct. Does the Nepalese government still charge $11k as a royalty fee for climbing. Which they claim goes to the sherpas but it doesn't. Lets say you wanted to hire your own sherpa, (which you said you were alone and maybe you didn't do) the cheapest I saw was roughly $3k. Not to mention the countless thousands of dollars in equipment.

Ohh yeah, I forgot about the cost of an expedition. Another $10k or so.

I'd assume you didn't walk there. A grand on a plane ticket.

Anyway you get my point. While it didn't have an actual entry fee. It cost you a lot of money. Which gets back to a lot of peoples beef with and reasoning for the downtick in triathlon.....that shits expensive.

But maybe it's not and I've been living under this misconception for my adult life, that this whole time I could have gone and crossed that off my bucket list, failing to do so because I simply thought that I didn't have the money

Quote Reply

Prev Next