Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
I drank too much in university.
As a grown up didn't drink very much at all....1-3 per week maybe.
2.5 yrsago I had a head injury secondary to a bike crash and it was recommended I refrain from alcohol during recovery. I haven't had a drink sinse and honestly do not miss it at all.

Almost same here - I was dry for about 4 years after a TBI. I now drink only on Friday and Saturday, one beer each (and sometimes none if I have to drive that evening), and very occasionally socially (poker nights). Never more than 2 a night.

I did allow myself a beer last week after a particularly epic Tuesday bike ride. Trying to not make that a habit.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
I'm interested in getting more serious about diet, but when I do a self assessment I guess drinking is the first issue that needs some consideration.

Male
Age 42
I will end up with 2700/1000 bike/run miles for the year, plus a bunch of skiing and hiking.

Typically I have 10-15 alcoholic drinks per week.
Usually 1-2 per day (5-6 days per week) and then 2-3 times per month I have 3-5 drinks in one sitting.

Most drinks are (craft) beer, usually 6-8% abv, so 2 of these may be more like 3 servings. Occasional glass of wine, maybe 1-2 cocktails per week (I like my High West Rye Manhattens and Cadillac margaritas)

My doctor wasn't too concerned (his big thing is trying to keep sugar intake less than 19 grams per day), but I feel like I probably drink more than the average recreational athlete.

How much might cutting back to say, 3-5 servings per week help my performance? I also get concerned that maybe I lack discipline, because although I seriously could go cold turkey with no real problem, I just don't want to.

Tell me about your drinking?

You are an alcoholic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thoroughly enjoyed a glass or two of red wine a few evenings a month. It tastes good to me, and I treat it as dessert.

I used to drink quite a bit more, but have had a handful of times over the past 10 years where I ended up alone, hammered and shocked that nothing terrible happened to me. I've just moved across the country solo, and not knowing my way around the city has me paranoid about driving even after one drink. I've even stopped doing work happy hours (or at least drinking at them) since I always end up 3-4 drinks in, feeling shitty and skipping a workout. Not to say I won't enjoy alcohol on vacation or every now and then, but it's just not a huge part of my life, nor do I want it to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twice per week. 3 if I am on vacation
Mostly times if I am having pizza or a burger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I very rarely drink on weekdays. I get home from work around 6-6:30 and I'm in bed by 8:30 and most of the time between is taken up with the kids. Maybe twice a year I have a work happy hour or something and I'll have a drink.

On the weekends I'll typically have a beer or two on Saturday and/or Sunday. If there's something social it might be a tad more, but never really a lot.

But that's now that I'm old and smelly. In my 20s it was a lot different.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [DopaKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DopaKing wrote:
I get the depression as well, but instead of anxiety/anger it's extremely intense feelings of sadness, despair, guilt, and shame, though it's gone by day two. I did a lot of research, turns out it's a result of neurotransmitter dysregulation, mostly basement level dopamine as a symptom of alcohol withdrawal. Typically only present in people predisposed to alcoholism.

Interesting. I will definitely be looking into this.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_yoda I was in a similar boat after college, especially as most recent grads don't jump into tri. This is kinda silly, but I've taking a liking to La Croix. It is fizzy and I can have the same ritual as a fancy dinner drink - pouring it into a glass.

Definitely not a substitute but if the ritual is part of winding down, this has helped me not drink during the week.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/228137
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't drink a lot, maybe 3-4 beers Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon.

What I have noticed as I approach 50 is it takes just 1 sometimes to feel sluggish the next day. Also, more often now, I don't get the happy, relaxed buzz I used to and instead get grouchy and tired but don't sleep well after a drink.

Definitely doesn't help quality of training.

Getting old doesn't come alone I guess but I like my craft beer too.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I get home from work around 6-6:30

One thing about running in the morning, is that you have to wait 12-14 hours for that post-workout beer

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
none. Have not had any alcohol in about 15 yrs. No particular reason just stopped and have not missed it.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
I get home from work around 6-6:30

One thing about running in the morning, is that you have to wait 12-14 hours for that post-workout beer

I'm done running every day before 6am. That's a bit early for beer these days. So yeah.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
I'm interested in getting more serious about diet, but when I do a self assessment I guess drinking is the first issue that needs some consideration.

Male
Age 42
I will end up with 2700/1000 bike/run miles for the year, plus a bunch of skiing and hiking.

Usually 1-2 per day (5-6 days per week) and then 2-3 times per month I have 3-5 drinks in one sitting.

Most drinks are (craft) beer, usually 6-8% abv, so 2 of these may be more like 3 servings. Occasional glass of wine, maybe 1-2 cocktails per week (I like my High West Rye Manhattens and Cadillac margaritas)

My doctor wasn't too concerned (his big thing is trying to keep sugar intake less than 19 grams per day), but I feel like I probably drink more than the average recreational athlete.

How much might cutting back to say, 3-5 servings per week help my performance? I also get concerned that maybe I lack discipline, because although I seriously could go cold turkey with no real problem, I just don't want to.

You are an alcoholic.

No you are not, by any standard.
Ignore the Trolly, he/she is just bored and tried to stir shit.

What people lose sight of is the consumption #'s are only part of it. Behaviour associated with alcohol is also an important factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your stats (age, workout, and drinking) are eerily similar to mine. Other than that, I got nothing for you!!
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
I don't drink at all. Don't see the point myself. Not one to cave in to peer pressure either.

Not really directed at you, Dilbert, but at the other 99% who claim the same thing to be true:

And we don't run any Stop signs of any kind either....

Hello alternative reality!
A claim too fantastic for you to believe? Why is that? Do you know?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

Male
Age 42

You are an alcoholic.
....or maybe you're not.

That line I've put in bold is the suspect one.
Do you reckon there's ANY alcoholic who hasn't said exactly that and believed it?
If you want to know that you can stop.....stop.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I found myself in the habit of drinking several times a week a few years ago. Probably not quite as much as you but not far off. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine or a 1-2 beers most nights with or after dinner. I decided to cut back and although I might really fancy a glass of wine some evenings, I found that it was a habit, not a compulsion. Thankfully, I didn't find it difficult to get out of that habit.

The fact that you started this thread in itself suggests you may be worried something is not right.
It's so, so easy to confirm you can stop by just doing it.
Don't deceive yourself by pretending that's a choice you simply don't want to make, but could if you chose. That's the lie all alcoholics hang onto. The fact you said that doesn't guarantee you are an alcoholic, but it does makes it seem more likely to those reading this.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judgmental much???

We aren’t 8th graders here. No one is pressuring me to have 1 craft beer on a Tuesday night with my family at dinner. There are plenty is reasons to drink-some good; some bad. Personnaly, i like the taste. I’m not trying to get drunk or be cool 99% of the time when i consume
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm male, 62, and get about double your bike miles and about the same run miles. I have a beer first thing when I get home from work...every single day. I might later have a glass of wine with my wife during dinner. During the warmer months of summer, not uncommon to have a 2nd beer and might even have 3 beers on Sat and Sun.

I'm still very competitive and even have a hard time holding my weight up so I don't worry about the alcohol since I have to force myself to eat more just to maintain my weight.

If you are trying to lose weight, then yeah, cut back on a few beers per week.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Don't deceive yourself by pretending that's a choice you simply don't want to make, but could if you chose. That's the lie all alcoholics hang onto. The fact you said that doesn't guarantee you are an alcoholic, but it does makes it seem more likely to those reading this.

That's the theme of a song I wrote for SuperSize Me: The Musical ... "It's Easier to Give Up Than to Quit"

Unfortunately, in the 10 years since I wrote it, I've forgotten the words and lost my notes, so I can't tell you how it goes

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost impressed. You got 3 pages in before someone rode in on their high horse and called you an alcoholic. Now this will devolve into an argument about who is a drunkard and who isn't.

Quote:
How much might cutting back to say, 3-5 servings per week help my performance?

Personally I think we all handle it differently. I couldn't imagine cutting back would hurt you. There was a thread here some time back started by someone who hits it pretty good. I think he said he was drinking a bottle of wine a night. Still managed to qualify for Kona an insane amount of times. I keep meaning to look that up, hoping for an update.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Slightly older than you, bike more, run less.

2 Bourbons a day, every day except weekends when it could be more.

I also drink 3 coffees a day, every day.

If i lost those "empty calories" that taste great, I'd lose weight and my wife already says I'm too thin.
Unless your coffee is full of milk/cream and sugar they're not really comparable.
I drink a fair amount of coffee most days (say 2 to 5 cups). According to most current research that's not a health concern. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's some recent reports it actually reduces risk of coronary artery disease and strokes. I drink most of mine black with very little sugar (<1g per cup) plus the occasional cappucino.
There's not many calories in coffee unless you add them. Alcohol itself is very calorific and then there's any additional sugars in beer, wine or other drinks that contribute to the flavour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Dean Martin

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel a lot for work, and end up drinking socially quite a bit with customers. That being said, one thing I notice is that my RHR tends to spike by a good 30 or so BPM when I've had a couple of glasses of wine anytime after 20:00. That's my n=1 results from drinking. I've thought about stopping all together, but I enjoy wine much too much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be a train hard/party hard type (hence the username). I gave up alcohol for 2017 because we have a new baby and I figured that with the energy required to be a parent, work full time and continue to train for triathlons I had to find that extra time and energy somewhere. I decided that the energy spent on drinking was what I would give up so that I could still race (parenting comes first and as much as I would like to give up working I can't do that unfortunately). I'm almost to the full year without even a sip and I haven't missed the alcohol one bit. I actually wonder why I didn't give it up sooner. The only disappointment is that I didn't get any faster, but I think raising the kid has caused that more than anything else. I don't see myself going back to drinking anytime soon, life is great as is!
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d bet a lot of money that when your child gets a bit older you will start drinking again.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you drink (alcohol)? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

Male
Age 42

You are an alcoholic.

....or maybe you're not.

That line I've put in bold is the suspect one.
Do you reckon there's ANY alcoholic who hasn't said exactly that and believed it?
If you want to know that you can stop.....stop.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I found myself in the habit of drinking several times a week a few years ago. Probably not quite as much as you but not far off. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine or a 1-2 beers most nights with or after dinner. I decided to cut back and although I might really fancy a glass of wine some evenings, I found that it was a habit, not a compulsion. Thankfully, I didn't find it difficult to get out of that habit.

The fact that you started this thread in itself suggests you may be worried something is not right.
It's so, so easy to confirm you can stop by just doing it.

+1

good advice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next