Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
A couple of new developments in the AL senate race:

The Washington Post has busted a failed attempt by Project Veritas to set up a sting with a fake accuser who claimed she'd had an abortion after Roy Moore impregnated her as a teenager. Project Veritas is a right-wing group aimed at discrediting the MSM.

Fake news. I have it on good authority that this kind of thing is only done by the left. Righties would never do this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

The Washington Post has busted a failed attempt by Project Veritas to set up a sting with a fake accuser who claimed she'd had an abortion after Roy Moore impregnated her as a teenager. Project Veritas is a right-wing group aimed at discrediting the MSM.

Fake news. I have it on good authority that this kind of thing is only done by the left. Righties would never do this.

It's pretty despicable to be inventing fake claims of pedophilia and an abortion just to try to discredit very real claims of pedophilia and sexual assault in order to get your chosen pedophile elected into the senate. Is this a new low?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

It's pretty despicable to be inventing fake claims of pedophilia and an abortion just to try to discredit very real claims of pedophilia and sexual assault in order to get your chosen pedophile elected into the senate. Is this a new low?

Yes, a new low for the left to be claiming that the right did this.

Try to keep up.

Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this article (Dana Milbank: Here's 'what about' Roy Moore that is different):

From the article:

"I don’t excuse Franken’s alleged groping of women or Conyers’ alleged sexual harassment, and I disagree with Nancy Pelosi’s “due process” defense of Conyers. As for Bill Clinton, I wrote in 1998 and 1999 about his “sleaziness,” his “chronic dishonesty,” his “moral problems,” his “moral lapse,” his “unconvincing” argument that he didn’t commit perjury, his inability to “show real contrition,” his “puny” stature in the presidency, the way he “humiliated himself by his own conduct,” the unseemly spectacle of feminists turning “a blind eye to the president’s behavior,” and the “personal hostility” Clinton deserved.

But it shouldn’t be controversial to say that sexual misconduct is worse when it involves children. Until now, accusations of sexual abuse of children have been met with swift, severe and bipartisan responses. Recall the revulsion over Denny Hastert and Anthony Weiner, Mark Foley and David Wu. Predators aren’t solely Democrats or Republicans, liberals or conservatives. No partisan or ideological lens applies — only a human one.

The presumption of innocence has its place, of course — in a courtroom. But this isn’t about whether Moore should go to prison; it’s about whether he belongs in the Senate. Many women who didn’t previously know each other and who didn’t have anything to gain by coming forward have said he pursued them when they were teenagers as young as 14 and he was a grown man. Moore denies the allegations of sexual misconduct but has not denied that he was involved with girls half his age when he was in his 30s."
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the accusers has found an old card that Moore wrote and gave to her when she was 17. This is Someone he has recently been adamant he never knew. She says they had a relationship and even helped to send out campaign fliers for him. He was about twice her age at the time.

Must be getting some local coverage...
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Dec 4, 17 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the accusers has found an old card the Moore wrote and gave to her when she was 17.

If there is anyone out there who honestly believes that Moore is innocent of the things he's been accused of, they are kidding themselves and no amount of facts will change that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of Everly brothers' song.....Bye Bye Love
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I'll get on it. Been out of the loop.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This news on the same day Trump comes out and finally endorses Moore by name, and the RNC throws its financial support back behind Moore again. Great timing lads!
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the story.

I think many people here believe the women. This may matter as Moore has changed his story. She is calling him out on it.

Many supporting Moore say, "40 years ago and he's been good since then." But that will not bring out the vote Moore needs. Latest composite poll only has him up 2.6%. That shows he is a joke of a candidate even in deep red Alabama. If Jones can get out the vote, he wins. I'm still predicting a Jones win.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a story yesterday that said Moore is leading Jones 49-43, and 71% of Alabama Republicans don't believe the allegations against Moore. FWIW.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Saw a story yesterday that said Moore is leading Jones 49-43, and 71% of Alabama Republicans don't believe the allegations against Moore. FWIW.

That is a fake news CBS poll. It is factored into the RCP 2.6% composite that I cited.

As to the 71%, I'd have to see the questions and more info about the poll. I'm guessing that is overstated off a bad question maybe. More fake news.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting take on things here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.592e965618a3

I think if Moore wins it will do significant damage to the Republican party in next year's mid-terms in swing states.

I also can't help thinking that Gloria Allred will allow an independent expert to review the High School yearbook some time before the election. That is, unless she plans to wait until he wins and then is subject to an ethics hearing and release it then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
One of the accusers has found an old card that Moore wrote and gave to her when she was 17. This is Someone he has recently been adamant he never knew. She says they had a relationship and even helped to send out campaign fliers for him. He was about twice her age at the time.

Between Moore and Sessions, Alabamians seem to have difficulty with their memory...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with your points. As to the Rubin article, that is the kind of stuff I stay away from: pundits that try to interpret political events into some cultural narrative. Political punditry is a fools errand, never defensible as coherent rational reasoning, never more than a compilation of cherry picked arguments and statistics, and, thus, serves only to preach to the choir.

Now as to vitus's point above about some 73% of Alabama Republicans thinking allegations against Moore are true, I looked at the numbers and call that quote to be "fake news." Here are some more numbers out of that poll, with the question being:

Quote:
Q: (AMONG LIKELY VOTERS) As you may have heard, several women have claimed Roy Moore made unwanted advances when they were teenagers and Moore was in his 30s, including one who said he touched her sexually when she was 14. Do you think Moore did or did not make unwanted advances toward teenage girls, or are you not sure?

In heavily Republican state, among all likely votors, results (he did/he did not/no opinion), are as follows:

Likely votors: 35/28/27
Republican: 13/46/41
Leaned Republican 13/47/39

Results are divided into 21 demographics which can be viewed in link I posted above.

Here's how I parse the results:

Among all likely voters in Alabama only about a quarter are willing to state to state that they acquit Moore of making unwanted advances toward teenagers.

In no subgroup of voters do a majority of likely voters think "he did not" -- the highest "he did not." Highest "he did not," 47%, is among "leaned republicans" but even in that subgroup, a majority, 53%, are unwilling to acquit Moore. So rather than focusing on the 13% percent that say "he did," I think it is more relevant to say that even in his most favorable demographic, a majority of Republican and Leaned Republicans are not willing to say that Moore did not do it.

I think that you have to count the "no opinion" votes among republican and likely republicans as "I will not acquit Moore" votes. How do can the high number of "no opinion" responses in this demographic be explained? Are these folks less informed? I doubt it. I think think "no opinion" means, I am suspicious of Moore, I think the allegations are credible so I cannot acquit him, but out of party loyalty I will not opine on this issue yet.

So how will these "no opinions" behave in the election? Are they likely to suddenly decide "he did not" do it? I don't think so. I think it is very troublesome for Moore that a week before the election, in his most favorable demographic, a majority of likely voters will not say, in essence, "I find Moore to be credible."

Last point. The poll at issue only asked about "unwanted" advances toward teenagers. I suspect if the question was "any advances toward teenagers," that a much smaller percentage will say "he did not." In other words, people who believe he did not make unwanted advances, may well believe he made advances.

Why is the last point relevant? Because there was another question not discussed in the written "analysis" of the poll:

Quote:
Q: (AMONG LIKELY VOTERS) Do you think it is ever appropriate for a man in his 30s to date a female 16 year-old, or is this never appropriate?

Among all likely votors, 91% say never appropriate, 4% say appropriate, and even among leaned republicans 85% say never appropriate and 7% appropriate.

Here is what I suspect, if the poll included the following question: "do you think Roy Moore behaved inappropriately in dating teenagers in while he was in his 30s?" the percentage of "yes" across all demographics will be very high (like greater than 75%). That is bad for Moore. Some may forgive him and pull the lever, but I suspect many regular republican voters will stay home. Recall my post above, his margin in his last statewide election, against weaker opponent, was not that high.

Edit: 13% corrected to 73% above.

________
Last edited by: H-: Dec 5, 17 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Between Moore and Sessions, Alabamians seem to have difficulty with their memory...

You lefties should appreciate the effort by the citizens of Alabama to defend their man. It's classic win at any cost politics. Really, we're talking about John Wayne Gacy vs a Democrat. Whose going to vote for a Democrat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Recall my post above, his margin in his last statewide election, against weaker opponent, was not that high.

Hence why Trump is stumping for him now, and Trump has huge support in AL, so...

Not hearing/reading much about Busby. Is he not doing much down there to get media attention? Is he a red herring? The Project Veritas stuff also doesn't appear to have hurt Moore much. I guess he managed to distance himself from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
H- wrote:
Recall my post above, his margin in his last statewide election, against weaker opponent, was not that high.

Hence why Trump is stumping for him now, and Trump has huge support in AL, so...

Not hearing/reading much about Busby. Is he not doing much down there to get media attention? Is he a red herring? The Project Veritas stuff also doesn't appear to have hurt Moore much. I guess he managed to distance himself from it.

I'm thinking this is one of those cases (like last national election), where the polls are not capturing the right dynamics. I suspect that each of the things you mention has a small effect in keeping some party line republican voters home on election day.

Trump does have huge support in Alabama. I don't think that means a huge number of people look upon Trump as admired exemplar of wisdom and knowledge to whom they defer when he offers an opinion. There are certainly some of those. But I think a large number of Trump supporters in Alabama look upon Trump as a bull that they are happy to turn loose in a china shop.

Trump support for Luther Strange didn't do much for him. However, Moore should not put much stock in that victory as that primary choice is a completely different election from this one in terms of a number of dynamics. I think the lesson of the primary is that Trump is unable to motivate either Republicans or his supporters to turn out and vote for a candidate that they are apathetic about.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'd actually feel better about things if those 71% said they believed the accusations but will vote for him anyway.

I keep hearing about the proverbial final straw, as it pertains to Trump, the GOP, and Trump supporters. There is no final straw. This is the new normal. His line about shooting someone in Times Square was prophetic.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

I'd actually feel better about things if those 71% said they believed the accusations but will vote for him anyway.

I keep hearing about the proverbial final straw, as it pertains to Trump, the GOP, and Trump supporters. There is no final straw. This is the new normal. His line about shooting someone in Times Square was prophetic.

Trump and his base of people who know what they know and damn the facts are a match made in heaven. Just have to hope enough of the anybody but Clinton types or those that didn't vote realize what a travesty he is to the United States.
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Support for Trump has consistently held steady at ~40%, which I simply find mind boggling.

Nevertheless, I love this double standard by the right:

- Hillary gets a strike against her because she was married to a man who committed sexual harassment

- Moore gets a pass on being a lech who pursued 14 year old girls.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Support for Trump has consistently held steady at ~40%, which I simply find mind boggling.

- Hillary gets a strike against her because she was married to a man who committed sexual harassment

Dude... it was 40 years ago and he had their mothers blessing.

Quote Reply
Re: Even Moore sexual misconduct allegations [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Dude...Bill Clinton got a pass so Moore should get one too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

71% of Alabama also believes that humans walked the Earth with dinosaurs...

Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

- Hillary gets a strike against her because destroyed the lives of women who her husband raped.

fify

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply

Prev Next