Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It almost becomes a conversation of daily training vs online coaching imo. Which likely is difference in SC vs LC pathways, where more hands on coaching in SC development (itu) vs LC. Of course SC athletes have greater chance of federation funding, and so that will play into coaching salary as well.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the process work then?
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Wasn’t Joe Friel up to like a $1k a month when he was coaching age groupers or that an urban legend?

I remember at some point in the last few years see a Friel price for age groups as $10,000 for 6 months paid in advance and it stated that he would not work with an athlete who did not have a power meter on bike and GPS for run.
Last edited by: kbd: Oct 13, 17 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
mike s wrote:
Wasn’t Joe Friel up to like a $1k a month when he was coaching age groupers or that an urban legend?

I remember at some point in the last few years see a Gruel price for age groups as $10,000 for 6 months paid in advance and it stated that he would not work with an athlete who did not have a power meter on bike and GPS for run.

damn, that's some expensive gruel!!
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friel, spell check changed it to Gruel. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i thought it was an amusing freudian slip, haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttreise wrote:
How does the process work then?

First, you tank for a couple seasons, get some #1 draft picks, and ... after that, nobody knows

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with Bjorn , if i wanted a coach and even if i could afford someone more expensive one i would still choose him.
Down to earth, honest and no cheerleader style coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like a lot of money yes but think about it. I guess at that price it's not a copy paste program so let's say coach spends 1h on you per week that's 120 Usd per hour

Go find a top notch arquitect, lawyer or consultant at that rate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Siri. Am I the only one who would pick a woman other than the guy who said "hot female pro"?
Last edited by: peace242000: Oct 13, 17 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's hard to know in advance what coach is going to work best for you. Cost and quality are probably even less correlated than typical products and services. One thing I would do if I had unlimited budget, would be to essentially separate my swimming and triathlon coaching, and pay for a swim coach to work with me one-on-one. I do this once per week already with a personal trainer who was a quality Division II swimmer, but I'd do it for every session, and with someone more qualified. My triathlon coaching probably wouldn't change regardless of budget (I do QT2 . . . obviously, between swimming and coaching, I am already spending a fair bit).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ttreise wrote:
Little bit of office water cooler, winning the lottery, conversation here. BUT as the post says, If you had an unlimited coaching budget, who would you go with?

Not sure what he costs but I would probably look at Jim Vance and/or David Tilbury Davis. I wouldn't get the idea that an unlimited budget gets you a better coach though.

I wouldn't go with DTD, based on other threads he doesn't know his athletes, speaks cryptically, and seams like he really hates to spoon feed and babysit people.

2c,
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3rd vote for Jonnyo. [Pink] If I didn’t hate this absurd sport so much[Pink] I’d still be training under him.

He insists on lowering his value by posting great insights and advice online for free, but fortunately it’s the internet where wisdom frequently flies under the radar...
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David is my coach and you could not be further from the truth. He certainly doesn't handhold/babysit, but he's honest, tells it like it is (and will explain anything and everything is straightforward detail), and is incredibly supportive.

Maybe my experience isn't everyone's when it comes to DTD (though the other athletes I know he currently works with speak volumes of him as well), but for me it's been a complete pleasure.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [TriBy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBy3 wrote:
David is my coach and you could not be further from the truth. He certainly doesn't handhold/babysit, but he's honest, tells it like it is (and will explain anything and everything is straightforward detail), and is incredibly supportive.

Maybe my experience isn't everyone's when it comes to DTD (though the other athletes I know he currently works with speak volumes of him as well), but for me it's been a complete pleasure.

Smart ass comment on my part, should be in pink. I was paraphrasing some illogical and emotional comments made by others in another thread.

As a coach, there are a few people on here who I would love to have a couple beers with one day.

He'd be one of them for sure!!

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maurice,
If we ever cross paths at a race for sure I’ll take you up on that.

Last week and this weekend was rather busy thus brevity of posts but appreciate the feedback to communicate a tad better to folks here.

Best,

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not sure what he costs but I would probably look at Jim Vance and/or David Tilbury Davis. I wouldn't get the idea that an unlimited budget gets you a better coach though.

Appreciate the nod Thomas, very kind.

Regards

David

I was going to reply before Louisville about the nice job with Greg Close with IMLP, but I guess that is too late now. I see Greg chimed in later in this thread. Hat's off to both the athlete and coach on that Louisville performance.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Thomas, Lesley Smith had a good Ironman debut too. You okay given your day?

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Thomas, I appreciate it. Hope you're recovering well from illness and glad to see we all stayed upright on the bike course. It got a little ( a lot!) sketchy out there
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Cheers Thomas, Lesley Smith had a good Ironman debut too. You okay given your day?

Lezley had a great race. Great swim, fantastic looking position on the bike and bike, great run. She is a very talented athlete and always racing at high-level. I always like to see taking stagnant athletes who compete at a high-level and bringing their game up even further - that means more to me when looking at coaches. I see that in Greg Close. Congrats on both though!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are the leading coaches for Long course/Short course in the USA today? What's a realistic price to pay for until you get federation funding?

Thanks

B_Doughtie wrote:
It almost becomes a conversation of daily training vs online coaching imo. Which likely is difference in SC vs LC pathways, where more hands on coaching in SC development (itu) vs LC. Of course SC athletes have greater chance of federation funding, and so that will play into coaching salary as well.

"The lion doesn't concern itself with the opinions of the sheep"
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeah, I'm hoping to go Johnny-O for 2017. As for that climb, Carmi is at least 117%. And then there's the dog after the Moose Lodge!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jo Spindler, with GOLD plan + having him with you on all the sessions
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are people not just lumping all the money on Paulo Sousa?

That way you get a coach and someone who libels your fellow athletes while they are on the course to ensure their work is diminished.

Coach and a mudslinger. Perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a cyclist, probably Neal Henderson.
Quote Reply

Prev Next