Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [littleone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littleone wrote:
Thank you for validating why I did not want to attach this to my other account.

H20Fun... is that you?
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend getting at least three Ironman tattoo's to let people know you're wanting to be taken seriously regarding the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [littleone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one cares what you did, ironman or something else entirely. Well, your family and your real friends might care. No one else cares. If they pretend they have an opinion about it you ought to pretend you give a shit about their fake opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cant really believe this!

I never hear those kind of comments, only "that is a lot of time to use on a sport " and "omg i would never be able to do even half of that".

But im a little suspicious of your post, why would you double post it to reddit too?

https://www.reddit.com/r/triathlon/comments/75y4vn/uplifting_comments_after_completing_an_ironman/

Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [noon3225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noon3225 wrote:
Are you very overweight? This is the only explanation I can think of.

Or all the stickers on the car?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littleone wrote:
I look inferior
This right here. Who told you this or why do you think this? You have to work out the self-esteem or self-image problem before you can expect others to change their outlook toward you.

littleone wrote:
Here is another for you... for my first IM, people at work placed bets on whether I would finish or not.
Who told them you were doing an IM? If it wasn't you, you have to have a talk with your cheerleaders and get them to lay off. A second way to deal with this is to ask to get in on the betting.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For reference outside of my friends that also do Triathlon I really don't talk about it much. The only time I bring it up is if I have to turn down an invitation to something due to either training or family constraints. I also do not do any social media unless you consider slowtwitch social media. So in short I can totally believe what the OP is saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You clearly need a new father-in-law.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can appreciate the commitment. Maybe not the execution, but that's an A+ for commitment.

RandMart wrote:
noon3225 wrote:
Are you very overweight? This is the only explanation I can think of.

Or all the stickers on the car?

Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:

littleone wrote:
Here is another for you... for my first IM, people at work placed bets on whether I would finish or not.

Who told them you were doing an IM? If it wasn't you, you have to have a talk with your cheerleaders and get them to lay off. A second way to deal with this is to ask to get in on the betting.

This right here. And, put your money on "not" finishing. Nothings more disarming than self-deprecation.

Change your motto: "I do IM for the goodies in the Medical Tent!"
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 13, 17 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's very odd. I usually just get very good responses.

The only occasion that someone actually says something remotely similar to that is when a weekend warrior who has completed a couple Half marathons in, say, 1h45, asks about my last HIM run split. When I say something like 1h38, I have heard more than once "yeah, that's an ok pace."
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange. By chance, is this the same cat that was fired by his coach for not enough trucker hat? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep saying this
littleone wrote:
I didn't bring up the subject

Which clearly does not jive with this
littleone wrote:
... for my first IM, people at work placed bets on whether I would finish or not.

Nobody at my place of work would know that I did triathlons if I did not tell them. Even now, I will do races and just take some vacation days, and nobody knows I did a race. People don't just automatically assume you did an Ironman if you take a few days off of work. There is obviously more to this than you are divulging.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
You keep saying this
littleone wrote:
I didn't bring up the subject

Which clearly does not jive with this
littleone wrote:
... for my first IM, people at work placed bets on whether I would finish or not.

Nobody at my place of work would know that I did triathlons if I did not tell them. Even now, I will do races and just take some vacation days, and nobody knows I did a race. People don't just automatically assume you did an Ironman if you take a few days off of work. There is obviously more to this than you are divulging.

This exactly.

Sometimes when I travel to races and people ask me why I am going XYZ I say I am going to just spend the weekend there with the wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littleone wrote:
I get some good responses... but usually shock. Like I said... I don't bring the topic up... it comes to me. The comments are from people with alpha-personalities... or think they are. Thank you for validating why I did not want to attach this to my other account.

Thank you letting me know you have another account. That's explicitly against forum rules. I've deleted this account accordingly.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you letting me know you have another account. That's explicitly against forum rules. I've deleted this account accordingly.

I was surprised how long that took.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I was surprised how long that took.

He must've been otherwise engaged

Quote Reply
Re: dealing with uplifting comments after completing ironman? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
Nobody at my place of work would know that I did triathlons if I did not tell them.

People around work round up my exploits far more than I do

If someone is contemplating starting a C25K program I hear "Oh! You should talk to Randy! He does marathons and Ironmans and races bikes and shit like that"

"Um, no I don't, I just run a bunch, and bike a bit, and swim a little, but thanks for thinking of me"

Quote Reply

Prev Next