Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett Sutton. He is not the most popular guy, not the most educated, I could go on. I would have a difficult time with some of his thoughts. However, he has this uncanny way of mentally creating champions. I could think of a lot of coaches that would be easier to get along with, but if I wanted to win, I'd pick him.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
I'd move out west and go with johnnyo. Smart guy with great insight having been a pro. And there's this:

Jonnyo knows his shit. And he's actually a nice guy too. And living here in Penticton is pretty sweet training. Lakes, great pool, gyms, rail trail, rubber track, 8km 7% climb in town, Apex Mountain an hour away for winter and summer training, world class MTB trails at 3 Blind Mice trail network.

My problem is the wine. I moved here and gained 10lbs! Life is about choices. I choose the wine!

But yes, Jonnyo is recommended.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$500 absurd for AG or pro athlete to pay for coaching?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm undecided with this but I will go with the best,, definitely.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
that's an absurd fee

Really? Hold Matt Dixon's drink a minute.... $1500/pm

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV without a doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Wasn’t Joe Friel up to like a $1k a month when he was coaching age groupers or that an urban legend?

It was $1500/month!
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
$500 absurd for AG or pro athlete to pay for coaching?

both. $500 / month is a mortgage for a lot of people. definitely a solid car payment.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you say is average pro fee? $500 from coaches I’ve talked with is about normal. But I’ll say these are more “hands on” coaching versus simple TP over internet/text/phone (not leading workouts essentially).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for pros?

my rough guesstimate is somewhere around 0-300/month + % of prize purses.

it'd be very, very difficult, as a pro that's not in the top 1% of pros, to justify paying $500/month to a coach. If you pay your coach more than you earn in prize money/endorsements in a year and you really truly consider yourself a pro, you're probably doing it wrong?

i've had coaches who are on the better end of the spectrum. i've paid $200/mo up to $375/mo (briefly). the latter felt like too much for my goals at the time, which were vague and ephemeral. the former felt like too little given my motivation. it's a tough thing to judge, what is "worth it."
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
kileyay wrote:
JimVance wrote:
Value is in the results.

And $500 is my starting fee , not “up to”.

No. Value is in the results (with a coach) that are incremental/above and beyond would-be results (without a coach).

And, that's an absurd fee, but good for you.

That was exactly what I meant, sorry I didn't state it specifically. The reason to hire a coach is generally because you aren't happy with your current results tho, no? The value of the difference is clearly individual.

I don't know what your career or hourly wage is, but I would bet if you lined it up with the effort to coach someone, it would be close or more than that.

I have no problem saying I am not the best coach for everyone, nor the most affordable. And that's ok. I will just keep proving my value in the results of my athletes.

I can't afford Vance, but I will vouch for him. He competed itu level back in the day. So he is a coach who is able to apply his knowledge , unlike other coaches with no personal results (Sutton). Better yet, hr taught him self how to swim... So he gives hope to adult on set swimmers and can teach technique by feel (same with run). So with his proven results of top athletes, the price makes sense , as he gets lots of requests and needs to weed out the non serious athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
he gets lots of requests and needs to weed out the non serious athletes.

so you equate the size of one's wallet with the size of one's commitment?

that is sort of in pink, but not really.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
the hottest female pro or model i could find or that would have me.

With a nice pair of ...

Trucker hats

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Dr Michele Ferrari

nice
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price would have to vary greatly between a coach putting in say 10 hours max ($12.50/hour for Mr Vance) a week into a TP program vs someone going to the session and being with the athlete for a couple hours per day.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dr Michele Ferrari "

You win.

So much winning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with Desert Dude and travel to one of his aero camps.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
kileyay wrote:
JimVance wrote:
Value is in the results.

And $500 is my starting fee , not “up to”.

No. Value is in the results (with a coach) that are incremental/above and beyond would-be results (without a coach).

And, that's an absurd fee, but good for you.

That was exactly what I meant, sorry I didn't state it specifically. The reason to hire a coach is generally because you aren't happy with your current results tho, no? The value of the difference is clearly individual.

I don't know what your career or hourly wage is, but I would bet if you lined it up with the effort to coach someone, it would be close or more than that.

I have no problem saying I am not the best coach for everyone, nor the most affordable. And that's ok. I will just keep proving my value in the results of my athletes.

Using/hire a coach is not only linked to performance or a wish to have improvement.
You will find big cultural differences between countries in how common it use a coach and the coach's role.
In several endurance sports, many of the to athletes are coaching them self.
Different approaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
kileyay wrote:
that's an absurd fee

Really? Hold Matt Dixon's drink a minute.... $1500/pm

Holy shit!!! I sure hope there's some profit sharing with Jesse!
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shhh don't tell everyone about our secret! But yes, he is an amazing coach. Very happy with the last 4 years of him coaching me!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2013, Paulo Sousa turned me down.
2013, Brian Stover turned me down.
2015, Joel Filliol said "OK", and charged me $600. That's per quarter, btw. I learned a lot as both athlete and coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
mike s wrote:
Wasn’t Joe Friel up to like a $1k a month when he was coaching age groupers or that an urban legend?

It was $1500/month!

Actually the highest I read on his blog several years ago was that it was $2,000 per month. I think that included a bike fit, so clearly it was worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn’t that what 90% of us already do??
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was their reason behind turning you down? Were you going to them with a take it or leave it offer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh, no. That's not how it works.
Quote Reply

Prev Next