Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice.
Quote | Reply
I have been at this for 5 years now and can't seem to get it all together for a HIM. I am just an avg MOP 47yo with no big ambitions for a KQ but would like to perform better at HIM. I could use some advice on my bike split and would love to hear what some of the ST experts have to say.

I did Lake Placid 70.3 on Sept 10th and my big goal for the day (outside of getting out of the lake alive) was a sub 2 hour run split and I ended up slugging my way to a disappointing 2:05.

I did a FTP test today to find out just were I am at, I tested 245w/168bpm, I am 5'7" 162#, 3.32w/kg.

For Placid bike split I averaged 178w at 155BPM for a 2:57 split time.

I did not use FTP to determine what power to target for the race. I had only a guess at what my FTP even was going in and didn't want to test before hand either. I went off avg power I held on long rides and especially what I could hold on a hard 40 miler which was 200w at very low 140's HR. Last long brick I did 2 weeks out was 62 miles 2900' elv, at 178w avg HR 139 ran 6 miles off the bike at 8:18 pace 161HR (Open HM HR is low 170's). I felt confident at 175-180w and a 8:30 pace for the run, I actually felt 175-180w was pretty conservative?

I swam 46 minutes at Placid and actually felt like I had a good swim. My Avg HR on the bike at Placid was close to 15bpm HIGHER than what I would avg on my long rides averaging the same power averages. My HR was even throughout the ride too,153 through mile 40 155 for the last 16 miles climbing back into Lake Placid.

I am no faster a swimmer today than I was in 2014, literally. I admit I do not put as much effort into it as the other two and swim volume suffered some in training going into Placid but I got at least 2 swims in a week. I am now starting to realize that if I want to race a solid HIM I need to fix my swim and plan to really focus on it this winter.

Is the swim taking this much out of me? I felt fine on the bike and even on the climbs didn't feel like I was lighting any matches.

I am now thinking of heading down to North Carolina on 10-21 to make another go at it. I have a solid 3 weeks ahead to train and I could some advice on where should I focus my time to have a good run split? What should I shoot for on the bike for NC? I am going to want to crush an open flat bike course like NC has, I could use some feedback on what to target for pwr and HR so I can run well off the bike.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think you're taking a much bigger hit on the swim that you think. A 46 min HIM swim, unless the conditions were atrocious, is really slow, and the reality is that swimmers in that range often waste a ton of energy just even keeping that slow pace, so you're likely burning a lot more matches than you think in the swim, hence the 'off' bike.

It's hard to gauge your run target without knowing how well you run an open 5k or HM - if you're only a 1:50 open HM runner, than you'd be running fine, but if you're a 1:35 open HM runner that slows to 2:05 in the HM, something's very off.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I do think you're taking a much bigger hit on the swim that you think. A 46 min HIM swim, unless the conditions were atrocious, is really slow, and the reality is that swimmers in that range often waste a ton of energy just even keeping that slow pace, so you're likely burning a lot more matches than you think in the swim, hence the 'off' bike.

It's hard to gauge your run target without knowing how well you run an open 5k or HM - if you're only a 1:50 open HM runner, than you'd be running fine, but if you're a 1:35 open HM runner that slows to 2:05 in the HM, something's very off.

it's a little "harsh" but I completely agree with your swim comments. In fact with a swim that slow, any discussion about run or bike times is moot. There's too much lost in the water to discuss how to go fast on the bike or run. To be competitive in the range of achieving a KQ at that age really requires an 30 min. or better swim for 70.3 those who come out of the water that fast are able to feel like the swim was but a warm up for the rest of the day, i.e., they don't feel at ALL thrashed.

The good news is. Working hard on the swim will no doubt yield some real time gains. Lotsa low hanging fruit there.
enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 NC will have an incoming tide in a channel, your swim will be BLAZING, take 10mins off your 70.3 LP time easy, it does have a long run up to T1, bike is flat, you should be able to pull off at least a 2:20ish pending no hard winds with that FTP and previous split. It’s a ridiculously easy course, especially for the weakest of the weak swimmers.
Target 83% FTP on the bike see how you feel at the 14, 28, and 42 mile marks. Make some minor adjustments as you feel, what’s sucks about a flat bike course is no real break from pedaling.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 23, 17 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses, I agree I am a lousy swimmer and it has been extremely frustrating trying to become an even reasonable swimmer. Its not like I haven't tried at all in the last 5 years! I am just coming to realization just how much that lousy swim is taking out of my bike and run and its a lot more than I expected. I am going to make a serious effort at improving my swim this winter as I really like doing triathlons.

In the meantime, if I go to NC, what do you guys suggest I do for the next 4 weeks and how much should I pull out of my bike split to have a decent run or is it even possible? Or should I just put the bike away and just focus on swimming for now?

I have no idea where my open HM is at this point, I don't have any recent run races to even use as a reference. I ran 1:48 HM last fall 15# heavier and worked on improving run fitness all winter up through May when I started swimming and biking again. I can hold an 8:teen pace on 10 mile training runs and I can do 6-7 mile repeats on the track at 7:10-15. I am guessing my open half is close to 1:45, that's another race I hoping to do this fall.

I have no delusions of being a KQ or pointy edge AG grouper. I honestly do not have the time to commit to something like that nor the natural athletic talent. I am however trying to get the most out of the 8-12 hours a week I do have and to perform somewhat well in all three disciplines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what the other two posters said about your swim is accurate.

I think you biked too hard. If I understood correctly, you expected to hold the 40 mile power for 56 miles, after swimming for 46 minutes. That seems like expecting too much to me. My suspicion regarding your heart rate is that it was higher normal because had already swum.

My wild assed suggestion would be to reduce the power goal to 170.

My question for you is, how reasonable was the goal of a 2:05 run? With the hindsight of a "good" swim and a bike, maybe that was a bit of a stretch. Also, only having one goal puts you in a binary position. Hit it and feel great; miss it and feel miserable. It might make more sense to set 3 goals for your run. One that you fairly confident you can hit. A second that a little bit of a stretch - like if you're having a really good day. And a third that a real stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
70.3 NC will have an incoming tide in a channel, your swim will be BLAZING, take 10mins off your 70.3 LP time easy, it does have a long run up to T1, bike is flat, you should be able to pull off at least a 2:20ish pending no hard winds with that FTP and previous split. It’s a ridiculously easy course, especially for the weakest of the weak swimmers.
Target 83% FTP on the bike see how you feel at the 14, 28, and 42 mile marks. Make some minor adjustments as you feel, what’s sucks about a flat bike course is no real break from pedaling.

A 36 min swim, 2:20ish bike split and a 2:05 run would be a REALLY good day for me lol!!

I think I am going to NC!!!

The only reason I did my FTP test was for Trainerroad. I am planning to follow the last 4 weeks of the HIM Specialty training plan for NC. They do long interval rides with constant pedaling at specific target % FTP which I thought would be good training for that course. I have done several 2 hour, 40ish mile rides at a steady state with a 200w avg which is close to that 83%, I haven't run off those rides though. Im going to add suggested as an outdoor ride at with a run.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I think what the other two posters said about your swim is accurate.

I think you biked too hard. If I understood correctly, you expected to hold the 40 mile power for 56 miles, after swimming for 46 minutes. That seems like expecting too much to me. My suspicion regarding your heart rate is that it was higher normal because had already swum.

My wild assed suggestion would be to reduce the power goal to 170.

My question for you is, how reasonable was the goal of a 2:05 run? With the hindsight of a "good" swim and a bike, maybe that was a bit of a stretch. Also, only having one goal puts you in a binary position. Hit it and feel great; miss it and feel miserable. It might make more sense to set 3 goals for your run. One that you fairly confident you can hit. A second that a little bit of a stretch - like if you're having a really good day. And a third that a real stretch.

40 mile avg pwr is 200w at 140-145 BPM HR at least 4 of these rides in training

I avg 178w 155 BPM for ride at LP

2:05 was PR for my HIM run split lol! I did just that, reasonable day I was confident I could hit, 8:55 avg pace, good day 8:40 great day 8:30 none of these paces are difficult for me to run for 13 miles in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
I have been at this for 5 years now and can't seem to get it all together for a HIM. I am just an avg MOP 47yo with no big ambitions for a KQ but would like to perform better at HIM. I could use some advice on my bike split and would love to hear what some of the ST experts have to say.

I did Lake Placid 70.3 on Sept 10th and my big goal for the day (outside of getting out of the lake alive) was a sub 2 hour run split and I ended up slugging my way to a disappointing 2:05.

I did a FTP test today to find out just were I am at, I tested 245w/168bpm, I am 5'7" 162#, 3.32w/kg.

For Placid bike split I averaged 178w at 155BPM for a 2:57 split time.

I did not use FTP to determine what power to target for the race. I had only a guess at what my FTP even was going in and didn't want to test before hand either. I went off avg power I held on long rides and especially what I could hold on a hard 40 miler which was 200w at very low 140's HR. Last long brick I did 2 weeks out was 62 miles 2900' elv, at 178w avg HR 139 ran 6 miles off the bike at 8:18 pace 161HR (Open HM HR is low 170's). I felt confident at 175-180w and a 8:30 pace for the run, I actually felt 175-180w was pretty conservative?

I swam 46 minutes at Placid and actually felt like I had a good swim. My Avg HR on the bike at Placid was close to 15bpm HIGHER than what I would avg on my long rides averaging the same power averages. My HR was even throughout the ride too,153 through mile 40 155 for the last 16 miles climbing back into Lake Placid.

I am no faster a swimmer today than I was in 2014, literally. I admit I do not put as much effort into it as the other two and swim volume suffered some in training going into Placid but I got at least 2 swims in a week. I am now starting to realize that if I want to race a solid HIM I need to fix my swim and plan to really focus on it this winter.

Is the swim taking this much out of me? I felt fine on the bike and even on the climbs didn't feel like I was lighting any matches.

I am now thinking of heading down to North Carolina on 10-21 to make another go at it. I have a solid 3 weeks ahead to train and I could some advice on where should I focus my time to have a good run split? What should I shoot for on the bike for NC? I am going to want to crush an open flat bike course like NC has, I could use some feedback on what to target for pwr and HR so I can run well off the bike.

Thank You
Quick question(s) for you:
Do you ever bike hard immediately after swimming? How much kicking do you do during your weekly swim workouts?

The higher HR is about adrenaline and probably being rested going into the race. I see higher HRs all the time from my athletes when they are racing.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a swim that slow means you are inefficient. inefficient means you are using more energy thatn necessary. that energy, if not wasted on the swim could be used for bike and run.
id try and get at least ten minutes off the swim you will still be MOP but the physiologic cost will be lower.

im not a fast swimmer. so i know of what I speak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like your run goal was reasonable.

With the bike, you did 89% of your 40 mile average. For 56 miles. Perhaps consider 85% or a little less for average. Also, if you don't already, keep the climbing efforts under your 40 mile effort.

Hope you have a great day in NC.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I have to agree with this as well. Even as harsh as it sounds.

That doesn't mean there's not hope. It just means that you should work with a swim coach and you can probably learn a lot, and get out of the water fresher, which will result in a faster bike split, with less effort, and a faster run split.

Of course, that's if this hobby is worth that much to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you race with a powermeter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:

Is the swim taking this much out of me?

Possibly yes. This is something that has only become apparent to me this season. I've often wondered why I seemed to bike quicker than guys who smashed me in training, spoke to one after a recent 70.3 and he said he struggled on the bike because he felt hammered by the swim, someone else said he struggled on the run because of the swim! I'm like WTF! People are still feeling the pain from the swim on the run!? I'd normally come in 27, 28mins feeling relatively fresh and by km 5 on the bike, my HR is down. I just assumed weaker swimmers had the same experiences, but just went slower. Obviously this isn't the case and I guess the swim is more important than a lot of people think. i.e someone swimming 33mins is 6mins slower than me, but perhaps that could be as much as 10 or 15mins if they are fatigued for the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
mlyonsdc wrote:

Is the swim taking this much out of me?

Possibly yes. This is something that has only become apparent to me this season. I've often wondered why I seemed to bike quicker than guys who smashed me in training, spoke to one after a recent 70.3 and he said he struggled on the bike because he felt hammered by the swim, someone else said he struggled on the run because of the swim! I'm like WTF! People are still feeling the pain from the swim on the run!? I'd normally come in 27, 28mins feeling relatively fresh and by km 5 on the bike, my HR is down. I just assumed weaker swimmers had the same experiences, but just went slower. Obviously this isn't the case and I guess the swim is more important than a lot of people think. i.e someone swimming 33mins is 6mins slower than me, but perhaps that could be as much as 10 or 15mins if they are fatigued for the bike.

yes, x1,000. No BDB, but I can "add" 1 min to my HIM swim and come out in mid 27. It feels like a warm up, I haven't a care in the world through T1 and hit the bike ready to rock. I'm an adult onset swimmer, so, it CAN be done. First step is to learn to love swimming.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, if you look at my bike splits for Busso 70.3. I did a 2.25 and was ranked 164/1500 for the bike, my position for the 4 x 22.5km splits were:

1st 22.5km - 111th
2nd - 174th
3rd - 186th
4th - 159th

Kind of suggests there's a lot of people hitting the bike not feeling that fresh.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
Do you ever bike hard immediately after swimming? How much kicking do you do during your weekly swim workouts?

The higher HR is about adrenaline and probably being rested going into the race. I see higher HRs all the time from my athletes when they are racing.

I do some kick set drills but not a lot. I don't kick much swimming and barely at all in a wetsuit.

Do you have your athletes account for the higher HR in races for pacing? I am used to having a higher HR in racing than training, the difference has been less since I first started. TBH the worst is probably at the swim start it usually takes a good 250-400 yds for me to settle down at the beginning.

BTW I don't feel wiped out after the swim in T1, and for the most part I feel fine on the bike. While my HR is higher in a race I still stay in that high Z2 low Z3 range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:

I do some kick set drills but not a lot. I don't kick much swimming and barely at all in a wetsuit.

Do you have your athletes account for the higher HR in races for pacing? I am used to having a higher HR in racing than training, the difference has been less since I first started. TBH the worst is probably at the swim start it usually takes a good 250-400 yds for me to settle down at the beginning.

BTW I don't feel wiped out after the swim in T1, and for the most part I feel fine on the bike. While my HR is higher in a race I still stay in that high Z2 low Z3 range.

Do you do hard bikes after hard swims? ;-)

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I have to agree with this as well. Even as harsh as it sounds.

That doesn't mean there's not hope. It just means that you should work with a swim coach and you can probably learn a lot, and get out of the water fresher, which will result in a faster bike split, with less effort, and a faster run split.

Of course, that's if this hobby is worth that much to you.

I am all good with the comments and appreciate the feedback which is why I posted all of this.

I've had swim coaching. I watch videos read books, every post on here etc. I recently found some inspiration with Tower 26 and Gerry Rodigeus videos. I plan to follow his advice this winter and I just bought a snorkel and ankle bands with a bouy hoping he straightens my ass out lol!

I was at one point swimming better than I am now back in 2015 when I did my only full IM in Maryland. The swim was shortened to 3000m due to wind. I swam 1:02 there its the fastest swim I ever had and to this day do not know HOW I managed it. I was thinking the draft had something to do with it and for Placid I actually planned for this, I self seeded at the back of the 35-45 min group and got on the cable line and stayed in a group of people the entire swim.

I don't HATE swimming but its not like biking or running. I want to go fast in those run harder mash pedals and go fast even if its for a short distance not so much in the pool. I have put a lot of effort into running and losing weight over the last year and have made significant improvements in both. If I can't make significant improvement in swim this winter I am going all bike next year. Biking comes REALLY easy to me for some reason, the other two not so much!
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Do you race with a powermeter?

Sworks Quarq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure i agree on the speed of NC.
Its point to point so you could get 40 miles if headwind like last year.

Last year, I raced a little over 200w at 167lbs and came in with a 2:40 something.

I think with no wind and my cda, I was a low 2:20 at 205w (per bbs). When I look at bbs, with "generic" weather in NC, and lake placid as race day, my races come out 18 minutes apart... So a 2:40 placid turns into a 2:22 nc (with no wind).
Id guess 2:57 becomes 2:40 - 2:45 not 2:20.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:

Aahh, that is a workout I specifically wanted to do before Placid. It is tough to duplicate in training since you don't have a transition to run to with your bike racked.

Sept 3, did 2300 yd OWS at 57 minutes, got on the bike rode one hour at 183w average and Avg HR was 138 BPM.
Quote Reply
Re: Did I cook the bike or is my swim just that bad? I could use some advice. [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
Not sure i agree on the speed of NC.
Its point to point so you could get 40 miles if headwind like last year.

Last year, I raced a little over 200w at 167lbs and came in with a 2:40 something.

I think with no wind and my cda, I was a low 2:20 at 205w (per bbs). When I look at bbs, with "generic" weather in NC, and lake placid as race day, my races come out 18 minutes apart... So a 2:40 placid turns into a 2:22 nc (with no wind).
Id guess 2:57 becomes 2:40 - 2:45 not 2:20.

2:40 is what I was thinking on the bike for NC with the possibility of a 1:55 run. BBS had me at 2:48 for Placid at 188w. Here's my bike set up from Placid LMK what you guys think, I may even shave my legs for NC lol!

Last edited by: mlyonsdc: Sep 24, 17 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:

Aahh, that is a workout I specifically wanted to do before Placid. It is tough to duplicate in training since you don't have a transition to run to with your bike racked.

Sept 3, did 2300 yd OWS at 57 minutes, got on the bike rode one hour at 183w average and Avg HR was 138 BPM.

I've seen this issue pop up before and since you aren't used to going from swim to bike, you may be losing power - it's worth a shot to try a few race pace swims pre-Saturday long ride or whenever you do your long rides. I would do something like 2k straight swim at race pace, and then 2 hours race pace, then run 10-15k off the bike. That would be a good simulation for you.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few issues going on.

1. Swim like everyone says. Don't worry, I can't get my swim time below 38-40 either but:
2. Your bike speed relative to your power seems off. Your position is decent. I am 170-175 lbs and FTP of 255. At about 180 NP, I would expect to go 2:40 ish depending on course. I did 165NP at 70.3FL(hillier that you would think-1800ft elev) for 2:41 and 190NP at 70.3 Steelhead for 2:33. Make sure you have good tires and latex tubes work on your position.
3. Really look into your nutrition and make sure you are consuming enough calories AND enough water. I take about 800 cal on the bike and prob 6-7 bottles of water.

Good luck
Quote Reply

Prev Next