Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Plateau-Ways to break it without getting injured?
Quote | Reply
I've been consistently been running 40-60 mpw for the last 5 years or so. I've ran a 2:57 marathon 3 years ago with a 8 week specific block reaching 80mpw. However, over the last year or so I've plateaued I think. It's hard to tell since I haven't completed a open road race in years. My IM marathon time has dropped from 3:50-3:30 but this could be due to better pacing/fueling on bike.

Obviously, I need to change the stimulus. I mostly run easy with 1 day per week doing some tempo intervals or 400s/800s. All of my runs are somewhat hilly too. I'm tempted to add a 2nd hard workout but I don't want to risk injury. In the past, the more intensity I added I would be on the borderline of injury. However, I seem to do okay with more volume as long as it's easy.

So should I just add volume if I have the time? Or do I just need to add another harder running day in there and make my easy runs even easier to avoid injury?
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plateau-Ways to break it without getting injured? [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Step 1: add strides to every easy run.

Step 2: periodize

Step 3: if your goal is faster running, 1 quality day a week isn't going to cut it. And you need to learn to run threshold continuously. Do you do 6 minute threshold reps on the bike?

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plateau-Ways to break it without getting injured? [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The short answer is it depends (good I know). What is limiting you from doing a faster marathon? Is it aerobic endurance (are you already pushing your HR to the limit) or is it muscular endurance (your legs don't want to move anymore)?

If it's aerobic endurance, I'd say that it seems like you already have a good base of running fitness and need to do more interval work (sprints along with what you've been doing). Just make sure that you're fresh before you do these to avoid injury and change the workout if you don't feel ready for it. I'd probably also make sure you have an easy recovery day afterwards (ie. focus on swimming or an easy bike ride).

If it's muscular endurance, get some time in the gym and work on leg and core strength. The main ones that come to mind are plank variations, barbell squats, one-leg squats, single leg press and deadlifts. If you're not sure about doing these or are not familiar, it would likely pay off to go with someone who you really trust or hire a coach to make sure you have correct form. Focus on doing each set/rep with perfect form, stop when you can't and you should be able to avoid injury.

Hope it helps!

I like analyzing things - http://engineeringfitness.org
Quote Reply
Re: Running Plateau-Ways to break it without getting injured? [stumpyx13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stumpyx13 wrote:
The short answer is it depends (good I know). What is limiting you from doing a faster marathon? Is it aerobic endurance (are you already pushing your HR to the limit) or is it muscular endurance (your legs don't want to move anymore)?

If it's aerobic endurance, I'd say that it seems like you already have a good base of running fitness and need to do more interval work (sprints along with what you've been doing). Just make sure that you're fresh before you do these to avoid injury and change the workout if you don't feel ready for it. I'd probably also make sure you have an easy recovery day afterwards (ie. focus on swimming or an easy bike ride).

If it's muscular endurance, get some time in the gym and work on leg and core strength. The main ones that come to mind are plank variations, barbell squats, one-leg squats, single leg press and deadlifts. If you're not sure about doing these or are not familiar, it would likely pay off to go with someone who you really trust or hire a coach to make sure you have correct form. Focus on doing each set/rep with perfect form, stop when you can't and you should be able to avoid injury.

Hope it helps!

Wow.

No one running 40-60 miles a week is aerobically developed. And only doing quality when fresh will not maximize marathon performance. And the last paragraph is, um, I don't even know what to say.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably best to do an apples-apples comparison and run another marathon race, then evaluate

In general, however, adding variety will help with motivation and subsequently improve fitness which will leave plateaus behind. Try new trails, new road routes, new workouts, new running partners, etc. Enter different kinds of running events...
Last edited by: Brushman: Aug 23, 17 12:51
Quote Reply