Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To succeed in the current NFL a you have to be first a great passer. Kaep is not a great passer.

Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
JSA wrote:
LOL!!!

Kaepernick is synonymous with the read option, which, once upon a time, was going to revolutionize the game. Before that, it was the Wildcat. Before that, the run and shoot. Where are all those players who flourished in the fad of the day? Just like every other flash in the pan fad, the NFL figured out the read option and, when it did, Kaepernick and Bob the Third were done. Poof!

It's really that simple.

Read Option a 'flash in the pan' !? Why do you hate Army Football? We may not be big but we're slow ;-)

/r

BEAT Army
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
LOL!!! Kaepernick is synonymous with the read option, which, once upon a time, was going to revolutionize the game. Before that, it was the Wildcat. Before that, the run and shoot.

actually, the pistol is how he came up, to the point where harbaugh basically carried over chris ault's offensive scheme to the 49ers. kelly took them to the spread. if you're looking for anything "synonymous" with kap it's the pistol. it's not just a formation; it's an offensive scheme.

you don't need to run an option offense to appreciate mobility. wilson, winston, newton, mariota, they and QBs like them are the future. i doubt many QBs with no mobility (e.g., rivers) are going to get drafted high anymore.

but you're again taking this off course. i'm not saying kap is a premier QB (altho i still think there's a chance he could develop into one). i'm saying he's much better than a lot of backups and some starters. he deserves to play based on ability. it's his politics rather than his ability that keeps him from getting a reasonable deal. you not acknowledging that doesn't keep it from being the truth (turn on the TV? read a newspaper?)

no more to be gained here. you may have the last word.

You're kidding, right? He ran a read option out of the pistol formation. Like all other "novel" offenses before, it worked for about a year. Defenses shifted. Kaepernick started to get killed where, unlike in college, NFL linebackers are just as fast as Kaepernick.

You think Winston and Newton are the future, huh? Nope. Rodgers is the present and the future. Laser arm, pinpoint accuracy, with mobility to boot. This is a passing league and the rules keep moving in a direction to make it more so. Wilson is great because of his arm and his decision making, not his running ability. The League figured out Cam and killed him last year. He better learn to pass or hand the ball to his new RB or he will soon join "the revolutionaries" like Kaepernick, Vince Young, and Bob the Third.

Kaep deserves to be a backup and deserves backup pay. But he won't accept that. So, that's that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
JSA wrote:
LOL!!!

Kaepernick is synonymous with the read option, which, once upon a time, was going to revolutionize the game. Before that, it was the Wildcat. Before that, the run and shoot. Where are all those players who flourished in the fad of the day? Just like every other flash in the pan fad, the NFL figured out the read option and, when it did, Kaepernick and Bob the Third were done. Poof!

It's really that simple.

Read Option a 'flash in the pan' !? Why do you hate Army Football? We may not be big but we're slow ;-)

/r

Ha! In all fairness, Army runs the option. There is no reading involved ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
To succeed in the current NFL a you have to be first a great passer. Kaep is not a great passer.

You're right, he's not. But he's a better passer than a fair number who currently have or are fighting for NFL jobs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

You're right, he's not. But he's a better passer than a fair number who currently have or are fighting for NFL jobs.

So is Bob the Third. Is Bob being blackballed?

Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just can't leave it alone, can you? 10th best career QB rating among active players. Seriously low INT rate. The guy can play. 's all I'm saying.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Just can't leave it alone, can you? 10th best career QB rating among active players. Seriously low INT rate. The guy can play. 's all I'm saying.

Highest fumble percentage as well. You forgot that.

But, he's just the lastest example of The Man keeping him down. Just like Tebow and Jonny Football before him! Shameful!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
In my defense, I was swayed by his college performance. Saw more of it than I care to admit against my alma mater. He was amazing. But,as we have seen time after time in the NFL a college performance does not translate to NFL success.

So were Tim Tebow, Bob the Third, Vince Young, and Jonny Football.

All great QBs blackballed by the NFL ...

And they are all black. Wait...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blackballing Kaep is the worst thing the NFL has done since framing Aaron Hernandez in an effort to keep out all the Hispanics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting that? I can't find anything that suggests that. Take a step back and think about it. Kaep in the top ten of QB's??

Quote | Reply
And I am pretty sure that I am not in the NFL because I have some Italian blood. That's the only reason.

Oh and possibly that I never played a game of organized football.

But man was I ever a two hand touch legend!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever water boy.

Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Where are you getting that? I can't find anything that suggests that. Take a step back and think about it. Kaep in the top ten of QB's??

He's a legend in Slowman's mind. But, like the existence of God, his status as a top 10 QB cannot be proven. Therefore, you must go on faith.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

He's a legend in Slowman's mind. But, like the existence of God, his status as a top 10 QB cannot be proven. Therefore, you must go on faith.

you guys are going to need some handi wipes when you get done with each other.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

not that this is going to change what or how you think about anything one iota, and it's certainly not going to change JSA's mind because he loves facts until he doesn't, but i believe what i wrote is the 10th highest QB (passer) rating among active players. i might be wrong about that. it might be 11th. shaub, kap, dalton, in pretty close to a dead heat for 9th thru 11th.

in addition to the link above you'll find the stats here. not hard to find. these stats are shown for 1500 attempts and over. if you add those not yet meeting that threshold then prescott, mariota, garoppolo, tyrod taylor jump over him. but if you go back to where kap was when he had 400 or 800 attempts he jumps back over several on this list, hence the 1500 threshold.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren't getting it. I think on purpose, but for the last time, Kaepernick doesn't have a job because:

A) He has been shitastic the last 2-3 years. That's what coaches and GM's look at. Not his glory days before defenses learned how to take care of him.

B) He won't get off his high horse and accept a back-up deal in an attempt to get back on the field and prove his worth.

C) He is not worth more than a back-up salary to teams because of his extra baggage. He also hasn't proven himself to be a good back-up QB like Shaun Hill or Mark Sanchez who have made careers out of it because they are good at being a player-coach-mentor or sorts.

Any other reasoning is looking to push a political agenda.

Also, all QB metrics deserve asterisks because there are so many variables that they don't necessarily account for. An example is Chad Pennington is the 14th ranked QB by passer rating all time. Does anybody sane think that he is even a top 50 QB of all time?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
You aren't getting it.

i and the rest of the world pretty much are getting it. read a newspaper. read what his fellow NFL players are saying.

Runningwithbees wrote:
all QB metrics deserve asterisks because there are so many variables that they don't necessarily account for.

right. yes. and yes, he's had a bad last couple of statistical years because he was on a team nobody could win on and he still put up better numbers than a lot of QBs (including maintaining a 2nd all time interception percentage, versus that INT machine jay cutler for example).

you're very right about stats. they don't tell the whole story. but then in this thread i'm asked for stats. so, don't ask for stats and then disregards the stats because you don't like the stats. his career passer rating sits about one third of the way down from the top among active QBs. these active QBs are mostly starters. is he aaron rodgers? no. but he's worth a bagful of QBs that have gotten signed ahead of him, based solely on performance (and using any metric you want, if metrics are what you want).

it's entirely, fully, totally a case of his taking a knee. that's 100 percent of why he's not signed. what we could be discussing is whether it's okay for owners to not sign him because of this. i think it's a fair discussion to have. but we couldn't really have that until we just agree to what most players in the NFL already know and publicly state.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:
You aren't getting it.

i and the rest of the world pretty much are getting it. read a newspaper. read what his fellow NFL players are saying.

That's cute. You have yet to proffer any citations in support. Meanwhile, this thread is littered with citations to articles articulating the specific performance issues preventing him from being a starting QB and evidence he refuses to accept a backup role with backup salary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

not that this is going to change what or how you think about anything one iota, and it's certainly not going to change JSA's mind because he loves facts until he doesn't, but i believe what i wrote is the 10th highest QB (passer) rating among active players. i might be wrong about that. it might be 11th. shaub, kap, dalton, in pretty close to a dead heat for 9th thru 11th.

in addition to the link above you'll find the stats here. not hard to find. these stats are shown for 1500 attempts and over. if you add those not yet meeting that threshold then prescott, mariota, garoppolo, tyrod taylor jump over him. but if you go back to where kap was when he had 400 or 800 attempts he jumps back over several on this list, hence the 1500 threshold.

The two links you provided say that he is 17th. THIS link (which rates active passers) doesn't show him at all (maybe because he has no job presently), but nowhere do I see him at 10th or even 11th.

FWIW, I have no doubt that his controversial speech is contributing to his failure to land a job he thinks is worthy of him. However, his declining performance over the last three years (pretty dismal QB ratings), the fact that he doesn't fit most systems, and the fact that the systems he DOES fit pretty much already have their backups certainly play a much bigger role, as does the rumor that he reportedly turned down an offer because it didn't pay enough. If I were him, I'd take the lower pay, continue to speak out, and then let my playing do the talking for me. If he's really as good as you say, then he should develop quickly into a VERY valuable back up or a starter in no time. Assuming his stats get back to the level you seem to think he can attain, then nobody will care that he wants to kneel and the paycheck will be there.

In short, the speech is a contributor, but all of the guys you mention who were forgiven their sins were MUCH MUCH better at their respective positions than Kaep is at his. The reason they were forgiven has less to do with the type of "sin" and more to do with the fact that those guys produced.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for addressing the entirety of my post....... oh wait.

His political stance has something to do with it. That's his baggage. He is not worth a starter's salary with his performance the last few years. He is hard to sign as a back up because of the excessive baggage he brings. He also refuses to sign as a back up because he thinks he is above it. Kind of ironic how somebody who complains about white privilege is too privileged to accept $900,000 a year for a second chance. It is nobody's fault but his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:
You aren't getting it.

That's cute. You have yet to proffer any citations in support.

Pete Carroll: "He [Kaepernick] is a starter in this league. We have a starter, but he's a starter in this league and I can't imagine that somebody won't give him a chance to play.”

Doug Baldwin: "My original position was I thought that the situation last year with him taking a knee didn't have anything to do with it [Kaepernick not being signed]. After viewing what's going on, I've got to take that back. I definitely think that the league, the owners are trying to send a message of, 'stay in between the lines.' It's frustrating because you want to have guys who are willing to speak out about things that they believe in, whether you agree with it or not. But I think that's definitely playing a role now more so than I thought it was going to.”

Malcom Jenkins: "This is just some other teams being, quite honestly, cowards, to say that they're afraid of backlash to sign someone to make their team better when fans' input has never been in the equation when it comes to signing people in the past. It’s certain owners' way of making an example out of [Kaepernick] to discourage anybody else from doing what he did.”

Richard Sherman: "The funny thing about it, when you’re not being blackballed, you don’t have to say he’s not being blackballed. When football’s a safe game, you don’t have to say, ‘Football’s a safe game.’ It seems like the Commissioner always has to say things to justify something. But you didn’t even do this with Mike Vick. Vick came back and (eventually) got a $100 million deal. What is it about? It’s not about football or color. It’s about, ‘Boy, stay in your place.’ He played in Chip (Kelly)’s system last year and went 16-4 (TD-to-INT ratio) on a bad team. He played well because he’s a good football player. He may not be the best, but he’s better than a lot of these dudes starting. For you to say you have to check with sponsors and fans because this guy took a knee and made a statement? Now if you told me this guy threw eight pick-sixes last year and played like a bum, had no talent, that’s one thing. But Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett or whoever is playing for the Jets right now – whoever is starting for the Jets is terrible – have jobs. You’re telling me fans would rather you lose and put a worse player out there because a guy took a stand? That’s where it’s so troublesome to me.

Michael Bennett: "I think it shows the racial divide in the league. There are (accused) rapists and drunk drivers in the league. But he’s somebody who didn’t do anything to anybody. But you hear owners say, ‘We have to ask our fan base first.’ But the Giants kept Josh Brown (amid a domestic violence issue). Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of rape twice. The organization didn’t turn their back on him. They gave him a contract extension. Kaepernick didn’t do anything. That’s why racism is the biggest issue in America.”

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Aug 10, 17 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, will you be attending the Kaepernak rally? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
Slowman wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

The two links you provided say that he is 17th.

active players.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:
You aren't getting it.

That's cute. You have yet to proffer any citations in support.

Pete Carroll: "He [Kaepernick] is a starter in this league. We have a starter, but he's a starter in this league and I can't imagine that somebody won't give him a chance to play.”

Would that be the same Pete Carroll who coaches the Seattle Seahawks who brought him in, but decided not to sign him? That Pete Carroll? Strong support for your position!

Slowman wrote:
Doug Baldwin: "My original position was I thought that the situation last year with him taking a knee didn't have anything to do with it [Kaepernick not being signed]. After viewing what's going on, I've got to take that back. I definitely think that the league, the owners are trying to send a message of, 'stay in between the lines.' It's frustrating because you want to have guys who are willing to speak out about things that they believe in, whether you agree with it or not. But I think that's definitely playing a role now more so than I thought it was going to.”

So, he originally agreed it was based on Kaep's performance. But now that it is trendy to blame "the man" his view has shifted. Yet, he never says Kaep has the talent to be in the League. Strong support!

Slowman wrote:
Malcom Jenkins: "This is just some other teams being, quite honestly, cowards, to say that they're afraid of backlash to sign someone to make their team better when fans' input has never been in the equation when it comes to signing people in the past. It’s certain owners' way of making an example out of [Kaepernick] to discourage anybody else from doing what he did.”

No mention of Kaep's skills. No mention he is better than anyone on any team right now. Strong support!

Slowman wrote:
Richard Sherman: "The funny thing about it, when you’re not being blackballed, you don’t have to say he’s not being blackballed. When football’s a safe game, you don’t have to say, ‘Football’s a safe game.’ It seems like the Commissioner always has to say things to justify something. But you didn’t even do this with Mike Vick. Vick came back and (eventually) got a $100 million deal. What is it about? It’s not about football or color. It’s about, ‘Boy, stay in your place.’ He played in Chip (Kelly)’s system last year and went 16-4 (TD-to-INT ratio) on a bad team. He played well because he’s a good football player. He may not be the best, but he’s better than a lot of these dudes starting. For you to say you have to check with sponsors and fans because this guy took a knee and made a statement? Now if you told me this guy threw eight pick-sixes last year and played like a bum, had no talent, that’s one thing. But Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett or whoever is playing for the Jets right now – whoever is starting for the Jets is terrible – have jobs. You’re telling me fans would rather you lose and put a worse player out there because a guy took a stand? That’s where it’s so troublesome to me.

Is this Richard Sherman who did not support Seattle signing Kaep? Or this this a different Richard Sherman?

Slowman wrote:
Michael Bennett: "I think it shows the racial divide in the league. There are (accused) rapists and drunk drivers in the league. But he’s somebody who didn’t do anything to anybody. But you hear owners say, ‘We have to ask our fan base first.’ But the Giants kept Josh Brown (amid a domestic violence issue). Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of rape twice. The organization didn’t turn their back on him. They gave him a contract extension. Kaepernick didn’t do anything. That’s why racism is the biggest issue in America.”

Oh yes! Must be racism! I mean, look what the League did to Mike Vick, Ray Lewis, and Greg Hardy!

Where are the citations to articles from the neutral sports writers who claim he has the talent to be in the League?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Oh yes! Must be racism!

There's hardly any black players in the NFL.

The league is obviously racist.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next