Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Martin and Port crash on the descent! Porte looks out of the race now
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nasty crash that with Martin and Porte, Porte looks out.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit. Porte hit the deck.

His GC over, obviously. Hope he's okay.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Martin down again apparently
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bardet has gone for it, great news for my him to win this stage bet!
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Shit. Porte hit the deck.

His GC over, obviously. Hope he's okay.

It looks like the injury for Porte is serious. He is definitely out. Martin was able to get bac up but hit the deck horribly hard. This descent was pretty sketchy from the outside. Its basically a paved billy goat trail. This is not how you want to see the GC shake up
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that yellow jersey group of 4 will catch those in front seems it looks like they're going to work together.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the road surface looked OK. Little wet but certainly not a billy goat trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm most worried about a concussion.

He takes it with his shoulder (which will be f*cked) but his head hits the pavement shortly after. He was doing at least 70km/h when he slid out and only lost some of that before coming down.

Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's usually at least one descent like this in the TdF, and it rains in July. The difference is that Froome is such a good descender that he forces the others to go to the edge of their capabilities, or beyond them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who was it who said the TDF was a snooze fest? Brilliant stage this!

Shame it looks like Bardet will be brought back, who's the best sprinter out of all this lot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going for a Froome win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I bet not too many people had Uran for the win. He has a bunch of podiums/top 5, but I think this is his first win in at least 2 years. If he could just figure out how to time trial again he would have a decent shot at the podium.

Hats off to Bargill for a ballsy ride and George Bennett looks to be this year's surprise GC breakthrough.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Demare out?
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
Demare out?

Looking at Tour website it shows 7 "outside time limit"---Demare and 3 other FDJ are listed as done. Along with Sagan's brother and Renshaw.

I guess we'll see if they are on the start line after the rest day (maybe Tour hopes the public forgets that FDJ didn't show up today...)
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep along with three of his teamates and quickstep lost trentin. overall a good stage, descending is a critical skill that Porte has always lacked.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Well I bet not too many people had Uran for the win. He has a bunch of podiums/top 5, but I think this is his first win in at least 2 years. If he could just figure out how to time trial again he would have a decent shot at the podium.
Rear derailleur failure?

Di2?

Sounds like he was riding a single speed bike for the last 13 km.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Rear derailleur failure?

Di2?

Sounds like he was riding a single speed bike for the last 13 km.

Uran was stuck in 53x11 or 39x11. Amazing that he was able to hang onto the group and take the stage win.

Having said that, watching the descent, I am not sure that it was really worthy of the TdF. Once you have one crash there is very little room for the medical vehicles and caravan. In the dry in the Dauphine was a different picture than a slick wet descent today. This is Dan Martin's take from today:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ot-what-they-wanted/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Hats off to Bargill for a ballsy ride and George Bennett looks to be this year's surprise GC breakthrough.

Nope, GP Quebec city in 2015. Real gutsy attack from 1km out and held it to the line.

Now who can tell me, without looking up wikipedia or the such, when was the last time that Barguil and Uran finished 1-2 in a race
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly, the stage was exciting, but sometimes the finish dulls it.

i'm tired of this "don't attack yellow bla bla bla". it's a damn race. part of the race is having your shit together. i didn't see froome etc wait for dan martin after the crash. they all knew about it (uran, bardet, was behind porte), plus there is no way you didn't hear that crash.

then watching fulsang and aru pulling for froome. it's like. wtf are you guys doing. watch the last 10-14k. froome's longest pull was 20-25 seconds. all his other pulls were sooooo short compared to everyone else. he played aru and fulsang haaaard.

i'm happy to see nairo drop in the standings. he has no value add in stage races. he just waits and waits and waits. not to mention he's cooked from the giro.

hats off to froome. he marked porte, martin, and aru.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't answer that, but on another topic, Nairo probably thought he could pull off the Giro + TdF double and be competitive with Froome based on his TdF + Vuelta double last year, but in that case Froome also did both. Looks like Contador is done....he needs to stage hunt now.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
then watching fulsang and aru pulling for froome. it's like. wtf are you guys doing. watch the last 10-14k. froome's longest pull was 20-25 seconds. all his other pulls were sooooo short compared to everyone else. he played aru and fulsang haaaard.
Uran, Fru and Fulsang were pulling for themselves, trying not to lose time to Bardet.
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
Uran, Fru and Fulsang were pulling for themselves, trying not to lose time to Bardet.

makes zero sense for aru to pull. had he done ZERO work the group would have caught bardet. he may have had more legs to go for the time bonuses. instead, froome takes another 4 seconds on him. poor fulsang, did all that work, for nothing.

chris froome is the strongest riding in the tour. you have a better chance beating bardet up the future climbs than froome. tactical fail today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ChrisC42780 wrote:
Of course they won't and no one will do anything about it.

Hopefully Matthews & Sunweb protests since he is deserving of the green jersey

I hope Sunweb protests. Matthews has been awesome today and bagged the 20 points at the intermediate sprint. It puts Matthews at 160 pts, Demare 182, Kittel 212.

this is from VeloNews via Steephill

Quote:
Arnaud DĂ©mare,winner of the Tour's fourth stage ... finished the challenging mountain stage in a group around 40 minutes down. That put him outside the time limit, and therefore out of the Tour, along with six other riders:

Mickaël Delage (FDJ) and Ignatas Konovalovas (FDJ)
Juraj Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe)
Matteo Trentin (Quick-Step Floors)
Mark Renshaw (Dimension Data)
Jacopo Guarnieri (Astana)

1 - lets see if the organizers have the guts to not find an exception
2 - to be fair, Delage and Konovalovas were hitched to Demare
3 - Sagan and Renshaw are gonna go have beers with their friends
Quote Reply
Re: TDF 9 4600m of vertical-explosions coming up on the "Cat" Climb? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

makes zero sense for aru to pull. had he done ZERO work the group would have caught bardet. he may have had more legs to go for the time bonuses. instead, froome takes another 4 seconds on him. poor fulsang, did all that work, for nothing.

chris froome is the strongest riding in the tour. you have a better chance beating bardet up the future climbs than froome. tactical fail today.

Fuglsang blew the sprint starting at half a km out. Do the math. At 60 kph, 500m is 30 seconds. That's beyond the time that your fast twitch fibers can last. There is a reason sprinters save it for the final 200m. I can understand both Aru and Fuglsang hammering the final stretch to try to get the time bonuses and also gap the chasers (ex Dan Martin, Quintana), but they blew the sprint.

I'm still really bummed about Porte's crash, mainly for his health. I hope he is fine long term more than anything. That guys is awesome. Here is the velonew article which makes things sound decent enough from the crash site based on what the TdF doc said:

http://www.velonews.com/...-porte-afraid_443211
Quote Reply

Prev Next