Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
No one is expecting Trump to be smart enough to have a solution to this, or pretty much any, important problem.
We are just hoping he's sufficiently self-conscious not to start tweeting unenforceable statements so he can grandstand and make himself feel important.
Its a low bar to clear, but apparently even that is too much for him.

Fair enough. My point is you're not serious about this. What "smart" President before Trump had the solution?

My interest is pointing out that Trump's grandstanding is no different than the other's grandstanding. They just do it with big words and suave. Hey, if that makes you feel better, good on you, but neither achieves results.

The sooner we all realize this, the sooner we might actually get a candidate that's not a liar and who can actually bring our country together.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So for the geniuses in the LR, given all the strategies employed by his predecessors have failed gloriously, what exactly would you suggest Trump does now?

No one is blaming Trump, NK has been a problem for a long time.

I think people are concerned because Trump has never shown any interest in foreign policy anywhere in the world. He said earlier that China was going to do great things to help with North Korea, after a single conversation, and of course they didn't. He seemed surprised by that. Trump doesn't seem to have any idea of what China wants or any interest in trying to figure it out.

Trump sees the world in black and white and this isn't a black and white issue. There are a lot of factors in play including how China would react to a strike against NK, the risk in South Korea and the other countries close by, the role of Russia and the Western allies etc.

It also doesn't help Trumps credibility, or inspire confidence, when he spends so much time on Twitter while these problems are brewing.

Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
So for the geniuses in the LR, given all the strategies employed by his predecessors have failed gloriously, what exactly would you suggest Trump does now?

No one is blaming Trump, NK has been a problem for a long time.

I think people are concerned because Trump has never shown any interest in foreign policy anywhere in the world. He said earlier that China was going to do great things to help with North Korea, after a single conversation, and of course they didn't. He seemed surprised by that. Trump doesn't seem to have any idea of what China wants or any interest in trying to figure it out.

Trump sees the world in black and white and this isn't a black and white issue. There are a lot of factors in play including how China would react to a strike against NK, the risk in South Korea and the other countries close by, the role of Russia and the Western allies etc.

It also doesn't help Trumps credibility, or inspire confidence, when he spends so much time on Twitter while these problems are brewing.

Is this China/Russia action good or bad? Seems we kinda know what China wants now?

https://www.reuters.com/...hkorea-idUSKBN19P1Q7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
No one is expecting Trump to be smart enough to have a solution to this, or pretty much any, important problem.
We are just hoping he's sufficiently self-conscious not to start tweeting unenforceable statements so he can grandstand and make himself feel important.

Fair enough. My point is you're not serious about this. What "smart" President before Trump had the solution?

My interest is pointing out that Trump's grandstanding is no different than the other's grandstanding. They just do it with big words and suave. Hey, if that makes you feel better, good on you, but neither achieves results.

The sooner we all realize this, the sooner we might actually get a candidate that's not a liar and who can actually bring our country together.

Because previous candidates didn't pretend that North Korea and the Middle East had easy solutions. Almost 1500 years of Muslim conflict in the Middle East won't be solved easily. 50 years of NK/Russia/China nuclear proliferation will not have an easy solution. In fact, I think it is reasonable to believe that these situations don't have any solution in the normal sense of the word.

I actually don't really blame Trump for saying it. I blame him for apparently believing it himself and his believers for buying it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

Because previous candidates didn't pretend that North Korea and the Middle East had easy solutions. Almost 1500 years of Muslim conflict in the Middle East won't be solved easily. 50 years of NK/Russia/China nuclear proliferation will not have an easy solution. In fact, I think it is reasonable to believe that these situations don't have any solution in the normal sense of the word.

I actually don't really blame Trump for saying it. I blame him for apparently believing it himself and his believers for buying it.

Is it reasonable to assume we will ever elect a politician who will say these things don't have a solution?

My take is whether you say it's easy and do nothing or say it's hard and do nothing, you still have done nothing. And, you are both liars because you both said you could do something. Just because one lie seems "more stupider" than the other doesn't make it any more of a lie. Nor does it make the politician any dumber or less effective.

I fundamentally reject the people who criticize when they, themselves, have done nothing or have supported other candidates who also have done nothing.
Last edited by: DJRed: Jul 4, 17 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this China/Russia action good or bad? Seems we kinda know what China wants now?

No, China does not want "dialog" or "mutually beneficial solutions". China wants the status quo because of close business ties with North Korea and NK being a buffer against South Korea and the U.S.

At the UN, China always signs up to impose sanctions but they have never followed through. They always find loopholes and so you have a public statement and reality.They constantly play both sides of the coin.

China and Russia would like nothing better than to undermine the U.S influence in Asia. They are both going on the offensive now because they see a weakness in how the world views Trump and are trying to take charge. They feel that if they show leadership, more countries, particularly in SE Aisa, will align with them. That would provide their ultimate goal and that is more power and more economic trade.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problems are that NK is rogue and China does not want millions of refugees. I see three potential outcomes to choose from:

1. Kim is overthrown

2. China works covertly to quell Kim and help improve relations with the US

3. Limited military strikes at NK.

I think door #2 works best.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I'm waiting to see what Canada does to deal with the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:

According to latest reports this is a true ICBM - capable or reaching.... Yukon, Canada.
Yo, the shit just got real!

Canadian special forces have already mobilized a unit of highly trained B.E.A.V.E.R. operatives to paddle behind Korea's lines and to gnaw their missiles to pieces.
The difference is that our rodents are smart enough not to tweet about it beforehand.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Jul 4, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well, we don't have anyone as qualified as Trump so you have that going for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Well, we don't have anyone as qualified as Trump so you have that going for you.

Or a military that can project strategic power.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well then no Canadians should be allowed to speak about North Korea. That goes for every person in every country in the world except the U.S, Russia and China and people in England and France can say a little but not too much.

Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Well then no Canadians should be allowed to speak about North Korea. That goes for every person in every country in the world except the U.S, Russia and China and people in England and France can say a little but not too much.

Carry on.

Oh you can talk all you want, you just can't do anything about it. Sleep tight tonight under the security umbrella I pay for.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh you can talk all you want, you just can't do anything about it. Sleep tight tonight under the security umbrella I pay for. //

You mean Japan and China pays for, or the other countries that are loaning us the money to fund a bloated military. It is possible that none of your tax dollars go to funding the military...
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Oh you can talk all you want, you just can't do anything about it. Sleep tight tonight under the security umbrella I pay for. //

You mean Japan and China pays for, or the other countries that are loaning us the money to fund a bloated military. It is possible that none of your tax dollars go to funding the military...

I don't think you understand how a loan works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh you can talk all you want, you just can't do anything about it.

Unless you're in the military stationed near NK, or maybe in the Special Ops or making decisions in Washington, there's not a lot you can do about it either.

It's okay though, Trump's on it.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 4, 17 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Unless you're in the military stationed near NK, or maybe in the Special Ops or making decisions in Washington, there's not a lot you can do about it either.

I meant the collective you as in the impotent Canadian military ... what strategic platforms do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I am pretty sure that harshly worded tweets will put an end to this issue.

Don't make me tweet again! I'll do it!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
The problems are that NK is rogue and China does not want millions of refugees. I see three potential outcomes to choose from:

1. Kim is overthrown

2. China works covertly to quell Kim and help improve relations with the US

3. Limited military strikes at NK.

I think door #2 works best.
Don't go with #3. If we're going to use military force use overwhelming military force. It wouldn't be easy to simply kill Kim and/or to eliminate their nuclear weapons and missile programs with a "surgical strike". Even if we were successful with a limited strike, then what?

Trump would need to convince the US public and our allies in the region that going to war with N Korea is the best option. Along with that he'd need to get China to at least stay out of the war. It doesn't look like he has what it would take to do either of these things.

You're correct. Go with #2.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I meant the collective you as in the impotent Canadian military ... what strategic platforms do you have?

Hey why don't you guys stop asking for our help if we're so useless?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Carry on.

Oh you can talk all you want, you just can't do anything about it. Sleep tight tonight under the security umbrella I pay for.

I used to say give a guy enough rope and he'll hang himself, but you only continue to stretch your neck further and look even more silly than you do on your anti Cuba/Castro rants. There is fuck all that can be done about North Korea. They're a little kid under a little kid dictator puffing up trying to be a big kid and nothing more and he's not stupid enough to start a war with the west as he knows he'd get destroyed but we also know not first without doing huge damage to SK. But he can continue to be a pain in the ass, albeit an impotent one. You're not going to have a USA backed coup in NK. Like that's worked out well so many times before. Ain't gonna happen. Might as well send Dennis Rodman back over for some basketball diplomacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

What help do we ask for or better yet need?
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea's Missiles (and what to do about them) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Carry on.

I used to say give a guy enough rope and he'll hang himself, but you only continue to stretch your neck further and look even more silly than you do on your anti Cuba/Castro rants. There is fuck all that can be done about North Korea. They're a little kid under a little kid dictator puffing up trying to be a big kid and nothing more and he's not stupid enough to start a war with the west as he knows he'd get destroyed but we also know not first without doing huge damage to SK. But he can continue to be a pain in the ass, albeit an impotent one. You're not going to have a USA backed coup in NK. Like that's worked out well so many times before. Ain't gonna happen. Might as well send Dennis Rodman back over for some basketball diplomacy.

Um a disproportionate response to a little Canada booger flinging. Chill out dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Comic relief?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point is you can't decapitate or pull off a coup all that easy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next