Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
wow.

What is your limit for a price on a bike?

I don't know that I have a price limit, but I refuse to pay MSRP for anything other than custom made goods (mostly surfboards). So, if I buy a $5000 bike, it will be a $5000 bike that originally cost $7500. I am currently riding a ten-year-old Cervelo Soloist carbon. I also won't buy a bike on credit or dip into my savings to buy one. So, if I want to buy a bike, I save up discretionary money to do so. The last few times I've planned on buying a bike, by the time I had enough set aside I decided I'd rather spend the money on something else or just put it into savings. I just haven't seen anything come around in the last few years that would justify upgrading from the bike that I have.
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
I know women that have purses that cost $12,000. So, when you think about it like that, the F10 is a bargain.

I think the same way and it's probably part of the reason I'm still single. I need to find the girl that wants the $12,000 bike instead of the $12,000 purse =)
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
I know women that have purses that cost $12,000. So, when you think about it like that, the F10 is a bargain.

I think the same way and it's probably part of the reason I'm still single. I need to find the girl that wants the $12,000 bike instead of the $12,000 purse =)

You can also spend $200,000 on an Hermes Birkin bag, if you really want to get ridiculous. But it will hold its value a lot better than a $12,000 bike.
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I thought you were a dentist just based on how many dentist jokes seem to come up in relation to you and how much you dislike them.

I don't know why people are bothered by new expensive bikes. It is exactly like luxury vehicles. Some people want to spend more on things and some want to stay closer to the better value side. Just buy what you want. It basically doesn't make a difference what bike you ride for most people anyways as long as it fits you.
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [dashelj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an engineer but I do know 3 dentist triathletes.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what do they ride?
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 speed concepts and a p5

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dentists in title only...
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

You can also spend $200,000 on an Hermes Birkin bag, if you really want to get ridiculous. But it will hold its value a lot better than a $12,000 bike.

The 12k bike may lose 90% of its value over 10 year. The 200k Hermes bag maybe 10%. One has still lost more money on the bag...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Pinarello already make several disc brake bikes, including the Dogma F8. But I'm sure dentists everywhere are rejoicing at this news.

I am a dentist been riding same 2 bikes since 2013, why? I don't make enough for a new one! I am hoping in 2018 a new bike is in my future, if you have some teeth that need fixing call me I need some extra income so i can get a disc break bike!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Pinarello already make several disc brake bikes, including the Dogma F8. But I'm sure dentists everywhere are rejoicing at this news.

Hey, give Dentists a break. Everyone knows it's Lawyers that buy Pinarello's (round here anyway)

Pink?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Not really. Everyone assigns value to something differently. I think owning a Mercedes or other expensive cars is a waste of money....but I have no problem wanting a P5-X.

So if someone buys a $16,000 car and a P5-X or Pinarello.....are they just as foolish as someone who spends $50,000 on a car?

To me it's percentages.

I buy a car based on my salary. If say I make $100K per year, I buy a car for $50k so that's 50%. (yes, I know, I take 2-3 years to pay off the car, but you get the point). If my bother makes $200k per year, he goes out and gets a $100k car and pays it off over a couple of years.

Same goes for bikes. When I first started tri's I was poor with a young family. I bought a use 300 road bike and threw on some aero bars. Now I'm old and make more money and the kids are gone, I have the ability to buy more expensive bikes, and I do. It still turns out to be about the same % as back in the day, so I think that's reasonable. If I made more money, I'd buy even nicer bikes.

I'm not jealous or begrudge anyone buying nicer stuff if they can afford it of if they buy nice/expensive stuff and give up on other things. It's just percentages or maybe focus.

I had a very wealthy friend years ago. He bought a VCR for $1500. As he carried it to the car, we saw another store with the same VCR for $1300. I asked if he hated being ripped off. He said he hadn't been ripped off. He was in the store, wanted the VCR, saw the price, decided it was worth it, to him, so he bought it. He was happy with his purchase. I learned a lot that day. While I do price shop when I buy stuff, I do remember my friend and if I think a really nice bike is what I want, and to me it's worth the money, I buy it. I let other people make those decisions for themselves and some of them buy Pinarello's. I hope they enjoy riding them because I sure like riding nice bikes when I get the chance.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not buy a Pinarello - disc or caliper brakes. Would actually not even want it for free, unless I was allowed to sell it right away.
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious...why is that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just find them fugly. Plus Team Sky
Quote Reply
Re: After saying no disc brakes, Pinarello is releasing a disc brake bike [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I would not buy a Pinarello - disc or caliper brakes. Would actually not even want it for free, unless I was allowed to sell it right away.

Bolide is the only exception to this, I'd take a free one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next