Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confirmed the pic is the 5000. They have now posted a flyer advertising a ride / demo session in California. GB is on the front riding this frame.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: May 31, 17 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a definite upgrade to the lineup
nonetheless...meh

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
From a recent Facebook post by Kestrel:

"The 2017 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon on June 11th marks two important debuts. This will be Greg Billington's first time racing this event and he'll be doing so on the newest member of the Kestrel family. Our fastest bike ever is coming soon. Stay tuned to see what we've been up to. We'll unveil our latest creation June 11th! #TimeToFly #TheNewKestrel"

Edit:

Planet X did it first.....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...net_X_EXO3_P6040388/

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is pretty exact.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I thought the brand was dead

Unless this bike is radically different from the pic it's DOA and won't help Kestrel be anything more than the afterthought of an afterthought in the tri bike world

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 31, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
...skinny tubes are the future of triathlon bikes for a long time.

but why?

Less surface area to move through the wind. But getting the shapes and strength right is the tricky part.

For what it's worth, Cannondale tried your theory with the last Slice and Slice RS "narrow is aero" and they didn't come up with anything better than a P5 or Speed Concept. In the case of the Slice, it was actually markedly slower. If you read the white paper on the Serios, you'll see that narrow seat stays actually stalled rather dramatically. You could argue that friction drag would be lower but friction drag of the frame is really quite miniscule.

This is what was posted about the 2015 Cannondale Slice in reference to aerodynamic drag:

Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. The Speed Concept and P5 would be about 5waats faster out to 10 degrees. I consider that "markedly slower".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I've seen that fork before...

Not a bad looking bike but also nothing new. Hopefully they compete on price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like my Cannondale and my Felt went behind the middle school got pregnant and had this Kestrel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new slice was no better than the old one? What was the point then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on a phone so not a big screw to see that chart but it looks like the Cannondale is faster up to about 8-9 degrees. According to Flo, the majority of riders are <10 degrees of yaw so maybe the Cannondale is real world good? Or I'm reading the chart wrong. Both are solid possibilities.

http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See also Jamis on Bikerumor:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/01/soc17-prototype-jamis-tttriathlon-bike-integrates-bar-stem-brakes/

Last edited by: jjstains: May 31, 17 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
I'm on a phone so not a big screw to see that chart but it looks like the Cannondale is faster up to about 8-9 degrees. According to Flo, the majority of riders are <10 degrees of yaw so maybe the Cannondale is real world good? Or I'm reading the chart wrong. Both are solid possibilities.

http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

Decent but faster bikes exist. The Shiv is a pretty well-known relative to other bikes (E.g. SC/P5) but the big unknown here is how the bikes were tested (e.g. did they standardize the basebar, cranks, etc. Given their notation I'm going to say "no")

Edit: oh hell I didn't see the new slice was on there twice. Huge bomb. Not real world good.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: May 31, 17 18:40
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
See also Jamis on Bikerumor:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/05/01/soc17-prototype-jamis-tttriathlon-bike-integrates-bar-stem-brakes/

Man the main triangle looks nearly identical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
From a recent Facebook post by Kestrel:

"The 2017 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon on June 11th marks two important debuts. This will be Greg Billington's first time racing this event and he'll be doing so on the newest member of the Kestrel family. Our fastest bike ever is coming soon. Stay tuned to see what we've been up to. We'll unveil our latest creation June 11th! #TimeToFly #TheNewKestrel"

Edit:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/tt-and-triathlon-bikes/exo3
I dont think kestrel made their own bike...sad to know...
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit. I think Kestrel is pulling a fast one.

Not 100% sure, but it looks very suspect:

vs.

Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
...skinny tubes are the future of triathlon bikes for a long time.

but why?

Less surface area to move through the wind. But getting the shapes and strength right is the tricky part.

For what it's worth, Cannondale tried your theory with the last Slice and Slice RS "narrow is aero" and they didn't come up with anything better than a P5 or Speed Concept. In the case of the Slice, it was actually markedly slower. If you read the white paper on the Serios, you'll see that narrow seat stays actually stalled rather dramatically. You could argue that friction drag would be lower but friction drag of the frame is really quite miniscule.

P4, Diamondback Andian, and Venge Vias are good examples of the narrow-is-aero school of thought and in the 0-5 degree yaw range they pretty much rule, even though the P4 is at least 6 or 7 years old. It is probably a lot harder to come up with an airfoil shape that I has a 20% lower Cd, but you can design a 20% narrower bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different bikes. I kbow makers but need to keep tight lipped as respect to other brands.

I tried to sell my Legend design to kestrel but they passed n favor of what seems this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:
Different bikes. I kbow makers but need to keep tight lipped as respect to other brands.

I tried to sell my Legend design to kestrel but they passed n favor of what seems this bike.

So you're saying that this might look like the Planet-X but isn't. Good to know for price comparison as it really is very very similar looking.

With the reports coming in on how difficult the Andean is to build, how bland the Super Slice is, the more annoying it is that you didn't get the Legend off the ground. Lacking tubes would have made so much sense for Kestrel.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like an open-mould frame with Kestrel livery.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you scroll 3/5ths the way down things start to make sense: https://cyclingtips.com/...-coverage-day-three/
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Looks like an open-mould frame with Kestrel livery.

^^ this.

I've been talking with my fitter who gave a refreshing perspective since I'm a Kestrel fan and have been in a bit of a honeymoon phase over a new Kestrel tri bike.

The pic that accompanied this quote from the TCS was a bike from a company called "Edge Bikes" and it was the exact same frame mould:

"There are many brands at the Taipei Cycle Show that have hardly seen the light of day. Are Edge bikes any good? This TT/Tri machine certainly looks the business, but there’s no way to know just by casually observing. That said, this identical frame with a more recognizable name on the down tube would likely elicit a much different response."

He also posted the specs in which a 60cm version exists, it's just that nobody stocks it however Kestrel could (has not confirmed what sizes they would sell) which would give them an edge on the "tall rider" market for this style of bike. I've always struggled with options due to my height.

My question came back to the QC of it all. I refused Chinese carbon years ago, mostly from advice on here, not because it's all crap but because most of it goes through an unverified quality control check and returns and exchanges are a nightmare. With Kestrel using the model, QC and customer service likely improves 10 fold making this a much more enticing purchase.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
If you scroll 3/5ths the way down things start to make sense: https://cyclingtips.com/...-coverage-day-three/

That looks like a pretty cool show to attend.

--Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next