Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
rubik wrote:

Yeah, got him confused with fb, who seems confused about what a cat 2 actually is.

The US is not my primary racing scene, but I've done about 20 races in the most competitive region of the US (in categories ranging from cat 3 to cat1) so I do think I have a decent grasp of the level of a cat2.

With an FTP of ~4w/kg I would gather enough points in cat3 over a season to qualify for cat 2. Granted, since I've done about a 1000 races in Europe I have more race craft than most.

Otoh 4 w/kg would get you dropped in most cat2 races no matter your skill level.
To be in any way competitive there my guess is you would need at least 4.4 w/kg, a decent sprint and good race craft. Does that sound about right?

I'm sure there is some variance depending on where you live, but those numbers seem to match with what I've seen. However, 4w/kg is about the price of admission to cat 3 in my neck of the woods, I don't think it'll get you out of the 3's. 3.5 to 3.7 is a pack finisher in the 4/5's in my neck of the woods which is a bit higher than the chart would suggest. I really should just go back to running, I got much better results on the same amount of training. I don't see any of the fluff that others have mentioned even in the 4/5's. With few exceptions, everyone that lines up can ride hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Then a switch flipped in my physiology (not a doping euphemism, I'm clean), and I was 40-50W higher and Cat 2 within a year. It wasn't just training, because I've always been methodical at training. And I've been an endurance athlete since the age of 12 or so. (running and rowing before cycling), so 20-30 hour training weeks were never a foreign concept to me. But something became more efficient in my physiology because now my cycling Watts are close to what my rowing Watts would suggest I'm capable of.

I was surprised at the plateau, but that was ~28 years ago and nothing I tried made a difference at FTP and shorter efforts. Unlike you I didn't have outstanding performances in other sports prior that would indicate a higher potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's that supposed to mean? LeDuc was a doper and I could still ride him off my wheel " anyday"...I won that race...(solo 1 min ahead of 2nd)
LeDuc was also Masters World Champion.
Last edited by: dnomelgreg: Mar 20, 17 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggie204 wrote:
However, 4w/kg is about the price of admission to cat 3 in my neck of the woods, I don't think it'll get you out of the 3's.

If you can sprint and/or have high 1min and 5min power, you can get out of the 3s just fine on an FTP of 4w/kg.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
What's that supposed to mean? LeDuc was a doper and I could still ride him off my wheel " anyday"...I won that race...(solo 1 min ahead of 2nd)

LeDuc was also Masters World Champion.

I find it sort of interesting how many name changes you've gone through on Slowtwitch. It's very strange. But each time it takes a little bit to figure out who you are and a lot of times it's because you continue to mention the B2B course record like it's a big deal. It was a triathlon...relay. And you went real fast. Congrats!!!

Why don't you race anymore? Lots of good race results but nothing in the past couple of years. You could clearly still be winning at the national level.

http://www.usacycling.org/...ex.php?compid=198878
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey James ...Hope that you are well !
I'll try to answer all of your questions...
1.I find it sort of interesting how many name changes you've gone through on Slowtwitch. It's very strange. But each time it takes a little bit to figure out who you are and a lot of times it's because you continue to mention the B2B course record like it's a big deal. It was a triathlon...relay. And you went real fast. Congrats!!!
Simple...I got banned and used another IP address and username.
For me, B2B was a big deal...for an old guy with a headwind for 60 miles...I rode 308 watts average for over 4 hours.
2.Why don't you race anymore?
I do...I am involved in a bi-weekly time trial in Rock Hill SC every year..plus I still do Lowes every now and then. Got the 55+ record last year.
3.Lots of good race results but nothing in the past couple of years. You could clearly still be winning at the national level.

Frankly James...I just got burned out on racing. Every race the same story. Myself against the field. Everyone would just wait for me to make the move and work in a concerted effort to bring me back. It got to the point where I had to solo counterattack many times to finally bury everyone.
It got very old and wasn't challenging nor fun anymore.

Take Care,
JP
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
point where I had to solo counterattack many times to finally bury everyone.
It got very old and wasn't challenging nor fun anymore.

Single-handedly burying the entire field isn't fun?! You poor cupcake, that must have been awful, being the geezer version of Peter Sagan. :)

The only other kind of fun I can think of is burying the entire field with teammates.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh...don't get me wrong...it was a blast for a while...but the field's learning curve rapidly increased.
When you are one on one against a whole field with intelligence increasing...I needed to have my best "game face" on for every race. If you did it...believe me...you would understand...it eventually got old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
Oh...don't get me wrong...it was a blast for a while...but the field's learning curve rapidly increased.
When you are one on one against a whole field with intelligence increasing...I needed to have my best "game face" on for every race. If you did it...believe me...you would understand...it eventually got old.

No, I understood you. I'm just making fun of you because I've done something like that exactly once against good competition...repeatedly attacking until no one was left. And I've been trying desperately to recapture it ever since.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found this discussion quite interesting. My Tri training group measures and tracks our athletes' FTPs monthly and we have a leaderboard on W/kg basis. Here are the results for triathlon-focused athletes (guys focusing on IM distance):

Top AGer (No.1 in the country, wins or podiums every race including IM regional championships): 4.5 w/kg
Pro: 4.33 w/kg
AGers who have KQ'd: 4.1 - 4.2 w/kg
IM Top-10 AGers: 3.85 - 4.0 w/kg

Most of the guys above are training 24+ hours per week, with 15+ hours per week cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savan...do those guys not work or just work part time?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope - all work full time (Pro works part time).
Some have fairly flexible jobs.
The no. 1 trains like 30hrs a week, with a full time career and family with two kids. He is insane though - up at 3am to ride kind of crazy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
I've found this discussion quite interesting. My Tri training group measures and tracks our athletes' FTPs monthly and we have a leaderboard on W/kg basis. Here are the results for triathlon-focused athletes (guys focusing on IM distance):

Top AGer (No.1 in the country, wins or podiums every race including IM regional championships): 4.5 w/kg
Pro: 4.33 w/kg
AGers who have KQ'd: 4.1 - 4.2 w/kg
IM Top-10 AGers: 3.85 - 4.0 w/kg

Most of the guys above are training 24+ hours per week, with 15+ hours per week cycling.
Those numbers are so low they don't even make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I mean, you need an FTP of 5.0w/kg just to allowed to post on slowtwitch right? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How the hell does a "pro" have an FTP of 4.33 w/kg? The Kona pro field rode at 4.0+ w/kg!

I'm an average athlete with an FTP of 4.65. Should i be crushing people??
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 22, 17 2:44
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never said he's a Kona-level pro.

If you can swim and run, you should be crushing and winning your AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per your link, Hoffman rode at 3.4 W/kg at an IF of 0.79.

If that data is correct, that translates to an FTP of ~4.35W/kg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, i guess so! I just remembered looking at Van Lierde's file the other day and knew it was 4+.

I need to work on my swim and run I guess!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
As per your link, Hoffman rode at 3.4 W/kg at an IF of 0.79.

If that data is correct, that translates to an FTP of ~4.35W/kg?
IF is relative to NP, not AP. That puts his FTP at 4.59W/kg and even that seems suspiciously low.

I was serious with my comment. At 4.6W/kg and I've never had the fastest bike split in any triathlon, even in local events. I don't see how any "pro" triathlete could be at 4.35W/kg, that's just ridiculous, even for a second-tier pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
How the hell does a "pro" have an FTP of 4.33 w/kg? The Kona pro field rode at 4.0+ w/kg!

I'm an average athlete with an FTP of 4.65. Should i be crushing people??

Your race results don't support an FTP of 4.65
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

search is failing me, can you post that link if you happen to know it?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [mtbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last race I did I had a 2:27 split on 211 AP. My FTP at the time was 296W but I was using the 2x8 method to estimate, so I know my FTP was overestimated.

Broke my collarbone in August and have beat the shit out of myself on my trainer after buying a Tacx Neo.

Aiming to ride 260-265W in June to a 2:17 on a hillier course.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 22, 17 4:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How come you never answered the last question here?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._BOOM%5D_P5822236-2/
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [mtbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per the tips in at thread, I increased my cycling endurance due to my poor 70.3 running. Haven't tested it in a race yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll PR my run split by a good amount considering the training bricks I've put down in the last 4 months.

Jaretj was very correct about TTT being too much TSS that close to my "A" 70.3, but that race also ended up being 95+° and 90% humidity, so everyone blew up. Freshly asphalted run course turned into an oven.

I laid down some big rides over a month after and went at another 70.3 in July, PRing with a very MOP 5:13 due to walk/running the run. Don't think I was ready to run off larger watts at that point.

As of now, I've consistently ridden high power (80-85%) for 2:15 and run a least 45-60 min off 5-6 times. So I'm pretty confident I can pull that off in a race situation.

Follow me on Strava if you don't think I've got it in me and we'll see on June 4th!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 22, 17 5:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That explanation is good enough for me
Quote Reply

Prev Next