Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
fb wrote:
rubik wrote:

Yeah, got him confused with fb, who seems confused about what a cat 2 actually is.

The US is not my primary racing scene, but I've done about 20 races in the most competitive region of the US (in categories ranging from cat 3 to cat1) so I do think I have a decent grasp of the level of a cat2.

With an FTP of ~4w/kg I would gather enough points in cat3 over a season to qualify for cat 2. Granted, since I've done about a 1000 races in Europe I have more race craft than most.

Otoh 4 w/kg would get you dropped in most cat2 races no matter your skill level.
To be in any way competitive there my guess is you would need at least 4.4 w/kg, a decent sprint and good race craft. Does that sound about right?

The level of a cat 2 was not your initial assertion. Your initial assertion was that
Quote:
People who do actually train, in my experience, end up in cat 2 at least.
which would seem to imply that anyone that hasn't made it to a cat 2 (the overwhelming majority) simply haven't trained. Obviously those that have made it are not representative of those that haven't, but again, those that haven't are far more representative of bike racers than those that have.

Thus, I think your initial assertion is wrong and as you allude to in your second paragraph, far more comes into play than ftp.

Yes you are right. I was wrong in saying that everyone has the potential to get to cat2. What I should have said was that 50% has the potential.

My comments here were in regards to Andy Coggans definition of "actually training" - which I took to mean "getting the absolute max out of yourself with many years of brutal training and diet". The very few who do this will aquire both the physical and mental skills to at least *get to* cat2.

But I still believe that the 4.1w/kg of the OP are closer to getting him to cat2 than to be an average cat3. (Given that he aquires decent technical and tactical skills).
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Who are these unicorns who go from couch to 300 watts in 3 months? Seriously?!!!
I have been sitting on 260 watts for years at around 7hrs week biking. And i won't even hit that figure during a sprint tri so I'm probably overestimating my own ftp. I'm a fop biker but all these 300 watt bastards I assume are topping their age group bike splits

Most of these guys hitting 300w are heavy.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
320 watts, 145 pounds. Heavy?

3-4x a week of structured riding and keep run volume to 20 mpw.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha..Ha...Paul...I already told you that.
I hope that all is well with you...
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am...maybe this year
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beach to Battleship cycling course record...many years old.
At 55 years still over 30mph for 10miles.
med. ride today on Strava...and I'm 168 lbs
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate my genes - maybe I should be riding 12 hrs a week and not 7 đŸ˜”
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't ride much more than you...but yes...and sorry...I suppose I got good genes. At 41 years...I was still at 83 VO2 Max...ha...ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [Iwant2gofast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of replies about what you "can" do and whether or not it's possible.

While some of them may be right, you're not going to get anywhere accepting defeat from the get-go. Get to work.

I started 2016 with a weight of 70 kg and FTP of 242W. Built that to 296W over 5 months. Crashed my bike in August and broke my collarbone, bought a smart trainer and got to work indoors in early Sept. FTP dropped to 275W after the crash and I built back to 296W after a month of hard work and volume. I've been riding 7-8hrs/week since September. November test result: 315W. Tested again this morning and resulted in 330W. My gains are getting smaller and smaller, but they are gains.

Spend some time building your 2x20 power, do some long (2.5-3 hr) rides with 4-5x20-30min in sweet spot, and just embrace the suck.

Only way you'll find out if you can get to 400W is to harden up and get after it.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [Iwant2gofast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR was quoted as saying "If you think you can, or, can't, you are right"
That's on my key chain that holds my gym membership card.

I would suggest "smart" work which does include hard work. You are taking a journey that will take you to destinations unknown (today at least).

If you enjoy the whole journey, then you'll "win" no matter what your peak FTP is.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I was lucky to be one of those 'off the couch' guys on the bike. I got to around 310 or so watts at the end of my first season and 340 by the second season. Since then (about 7 years now) I've plateaued and been 'stuck' around an FTP of 340. That said, I haven't done a ton or harder work to make many gains, but I think getting to 400 (at least for me) would be damn near impossible. High VO2 max, genes, and other variables are what is needed to get to that level (along with lots of consistent, hard training).

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats

Did you run and swim and to what extent during those periods where you boosted ftp?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Been a lot of hard work and suffering, but definitely worth it.

I couldn't swim until December because of the collarbone break, but my run mileage dropped to about 25 MPW for November/December. I'm back up to 35-40 MPW now and have been there since late January. Starting to ramp that up more now to around 45-50 MPW. Swim volume has been higher than previous years so far in 2017. Still building.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't claim to be an "off the couch" cyclist, but within 2.5yrs of pretty casual bike training (probably avg 4-6hrs/wk on the trainer), I was at 300w for 20' @ 70kg.

Now, with some guidance and 4-6hr/week, I'm at 343w for 20' for 4.78w/kg. It helps being 19yrs old (started casually riding at 16). Next goal is 5w/kg.

400w seems like another world at this point. I don't ride nearly enough to even consider it a possibility. I could see 370 for 20' being possible. If I get there, I'll consider ditching running and swimming a lot less, slimming down the upper body and cycling exclusively.

To the OP - FWIW I don't consider myself to be exceptionally talented. Consistency over time is key.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iwant2gofast wrote:
Ive been using trainer road for a year now and I went from 190w to 300w in a year.
I averaged 3-4rides a week for the whole year.

Can I get to 400w FTP in another year or so if I continue to put in the work?

Don't ask, just do it, you never know, maybe you are one of a million talent+great DNA, it is all in our heads, work hard believe, and it will happen.

Who cares about 50% of 90% statistical jerk-off analysis paralysis. That stuff only mentally limits you, If all people would look an numbers we would be society of average dudes, not a single super dude...
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:

I would suggest "smart" work which does include hard work. You are taking a journey that will take you to destinations unknown (today at least).

If you enjoy the whole journey, then you'll "win" no matter what your peak FTP is.

You must not make it to the gym that often since the quote is Henry Ford's; not TR's.

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:

You must not make it to the gym that often since the quote is Henry Ford's; not TR's.

OOPS. well, I knew it was someone who accomplished more in a day than I will in a lifetime. HF doesn't seem as quotable as TR; I should'da looked it up. :-|

since I failed on this one, I shall embrace the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
dnomelgreg wrote:
I beg your pardon...I was at 430w at age 45...now at 55...slightly under 400w
And I still weigh the same 168lbs. 5.63 w/kg at 45 years old.

OK, let's hear some race results. What's your method for estimating FTP? And what power meter do you use?

I follow a local guy on Strava whose numbers are almost as good as yours, about the same FTP, and he weighs significantly more. He's a current master's track world champion.

smh re: all the self-appointed internet police who cast doubts. dude may not be Greg Lemond, but dude raced with Lemond on the national team. He is certainly not an average joe by the virtue of being in the following picture.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
dnomelgreg wrote:
I beg your pardon...I was at 430w at age 45...now at 55...slightly under 400w

And I still weigh the same 168lbs. 5.63 w/kg at 45 years old.

OK, let's hear some race results. What's your method for estimating FTP? And what power meter do you use?

I follow a local guy on Strava whose numbers are almost as good as yours, about the same FTP, and he weighs significantly more. He's a current master's track world champion.

The guy behind Dave

http://www.newsobserver.com/...article10288739.html
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha this made my day.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
fb wrote:
In the context of "achieving your true potential" I took Coggans expression "actually train" to mean "training 20h/w for ten years and doing 40 races per year".

I don't think it takes that much. More like 2 h/d for 5 y...after that you'd be looking at really marginal gains (or if you started young enough, the benefits of maturation).

Interesting you hit your near peak with that amount of training. I'm probably about 5 years

From reading this I'm not expecting to get much better :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iwant2gofast wrote:
Ive been using trainer road for a year now and I went from 190w to 300w in a year.

I did a similar progression in a few months. And that was it. I thought I was going to be pro level in no time at the rate I was improving...
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not casting doubts, just generally interested. When some dude on the internet posts those kinds of numbers you expect there to be some real race results to back them up and it sounds like that's the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get to 400w FTP with just pure hard work? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Iwant2gofast wrote:

I did a similar progression in a few months. And that was it. I thought I was going to be pro level in no time at the rate I was improving...

I've been at cycling for about 12 years, and reached what I thought was a permanent ceiling a few times....then busted through unintentionally. I'm 44 so the odds of another breakthrough are probably none at this point. But I was stuck at about 300W for like 3 years...I was fully resigned to being a Cat 4 lifer. Then a switch flipped in my physiology (not a doping euphemism, I'm clean), and I was 40-50W higher and Cat 2 within a year. It wasn't just training, because I've always been methodical at training. And I've been an endurance athlete since the age of 12 or so. (running and rowing before cycling), so 20-30 hour training weeks were never a foreign concept to me. But something became more efficient in my physiology because now my cycling Watts are close to what my rowing Watts would suggest I'm capable of.
Quote Reply

Prev Next