Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First date [beekay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This can not be said enough...

TURN OFF YOUR FUCKING PHONE. Be in the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you feel the chemistry? Can you feel it?
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Mar 16, 17 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you've got to have SWAGGER!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
you've got to have SWAGGER!

Yep. You shouldn't even go out on a date unless you have a contract.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orchidrun wrote:

If you aren't one to typically make spontaneous romantic gestures (like bringing flowers). Don't do it on the first date. I once dated a man that gave me 5 dozen roses within the first 3 weeks we dated. Then nothing for the next year. It wasn't the flowers, it was that he wasn't the person he presented himself to me to be (and it wasn't just the flowers that clued me into that!)

And...after the date...if you find you are not interested in her.....just tell her the truth. A quick note, text saying had a lovely time, however I just don't feel the stars are aligned for us (or whatever).....don't just not call. I recommend this for the women also. If you aren't interested just be honest.

This is really, really great advice.

I would add that if she gives you the "the stars are not aligned for us" line, don't pursue. Be graceful and thank her for her time, wish her luck in finding what she's looking for. Nothing more annoying than a whiny clinger who can't accept a polite rejection.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many years ago I dated a young woman who had recently had a date with another guy I knew. He asked her for a second date and she told him that she had begun dating me. He demanded "equal time" as I was getting. Surprisingly, she refused to grant it to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
Nothing more annoying than a whiny clinger who can't accept a polite rejection.
Ain't that the truth.
Another one to add, if the date is into stuff that you do not do, don't say "That's cool, I have always wanted to do that too" or "You have a big heart to help..., I should get into doing that too." If you haven't done whatever it is on your own, you won't do it for the sake of another. Faking the funk is a sign of desperation.

Quote | Reply
1. Smile A Lot
2. Don't gripe about work, don't gripe about anything.
3. Take interest in what she is saying and don't repeat Uh huh's and yeah's
4. Pick up the check and take a walk outside
5. End the date with something witty

Go get em tiger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:

An employee at my previous company (stereotypical IT nerd, lives with his parents at 39, very socially awkward and generally weird) set up a date with a girl through Match.com.. a doctor, pretty. He's also a hypochondriac so we all had an idea of how the conversation would go if he got a couple of hours of conversation with a doctor.

The Monday after the date we pressed him for a report, and after a lot of bitching about the price of their drinks, he said it went pretty well but she hadn't replied yet to any of his texts, emails or messages about a second date. Then he wondered aloud if he'd scared her off by detailing all his (perceived) medical problems. Over the course of the next couple of weeks he escalated his messages to the point of texting her that "what she was doing to him just wasn't right."
That's when we clued him in to maybe having crossed the creepiness/desperate threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
lisac957 wrote:
Ain't that the truth.

Guessing you two are not adherents to the book (I think it's called The Rules) that was popular when I was in college that basically said ignore the guy and make him keep contacting you so you he's interested
Quote Reply
Re: First date [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

There's a lot of good advice here. I certainly appreciate the womens point of view here as well. (don't worry, I won't be a douche or a clingy rejectee.)

Keep them coming if you have them, maybe things will go well and I will post here asking for 2nd date advice...
Quote Reply
Re: First date [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
make sure:
its not too early , 11am at the earliest
dont smell like anything, cologne can mask pheromones.
do a little work out to calm the nerves
try not to use the the word “I”
small box of chocolates “unopened” instead of flower. Small enough to stuff in a purse. Flowers are a responsibility..like a pet.
Stay off your fucking phone
she may be on the wrong time of the month and won’t be able to help being a bit offish....good luck

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, you never let on how much you like a girl. “Oh, Debbie. Hi.”
Two, you always call the shots. “Kiss me. You won’t regret it.”
Now three, act like wherever you are, that’s the place to be. “Isn’t this great?”
Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It’s a classy move. “Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice.”
And five, now this is the most important. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin Four.

Glad to help

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: First date [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
I always get there early and scope out the bathrooms and how to get out depending on where we sit.

Rule #22: When in doubt, Know your way out

http://www.zombielandrules.com/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: First date [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"she may be on the wrong time of the month and won’t be able to help being a bit offish."

...or you could always just ask at the beginning of the date and take it from there?
Quote Reply
Re: First date [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dating tips, by Mike Damone.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: First date [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
j p o wrote:
knewbike wrote:
Be an hour late because your junky car refuses to start. Kick some ex boyfriend guy out of her room when you arrive with an uncomfortable stare down. Don't bother to go out and have sex.

Wait. That was my 1st date with my wife 27 years ago.

I was going to go with sit around with your friends playing euchre and drinking beer then go to a midnight showing of The Wall. That is my go to move. It worked once and is all I have.

My wife asked me on a coffee date, my response "why would I want to do that?" Pissed her right off that a guy would turn her down so she doubled down on getting together with me. Next encounter was at a mutual friends bday party that she "encouraged" me to attend. I was absolutely shit faced when she showed up, she walked right up to me, gave me a hug, we kissed, she took my drunk ass back to my place when the bar closed and hasn't left since.

She still maintains the only reason she was interested was because I had the audacity to turn her down. She was not accustomed to that sort of treatment from guys.

I turned down my wife a couple of times and even tried to break up with her once early on in dating! 10 years later I still haven't managed to shake her :-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
lisac957 wrote:

Ain't that the truth.
Another one to add, if the date is into stuff that you do not do, don't say "That's cool, I have always wanted to do that too" or "You have a big heart to help..., I should get into doing that too." If you haven't done whatever it is on your own, you won't do it for the sake of another. Faking the funk is a sign of desperation.

This is why the best advice (for the long-term set) is to go into it with the mindset of making a friend, rather than finding a lover. If you assume that you will be getting to know this person, then it will force you to be honest. Being enigmatic is fine (sometimes good), but don't oversell or undersell. A friend will always know when you're full of shit.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Now three, act like wherever you are, that’s the place to be. “Isn’t this great?”
Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It’s a classy move. “Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice.”
And five, now this is the most important. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin Four.

Glad to help

Far too many people in here won't get that.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: First date [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
travelmama wrote:
lisac957 wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

This is why the best advice (for the long-term set) is to go into it with the mindset of making a friend, rather than finding a lover.

NO.
Quote Reply
Re: First date [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
travelmama wrote:
lisac957 wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

This is why the best advice (for the long-term set) is to go into it with the mindset of making a friend, rather than finding a lover. If you assume that you will be getting to know this person, then it will force you to be honest. Being enigmatic is fine (sometimes good), but don't oversell or undersell. A friend will always know when you're full of shit.
I disagree. People date to find a companion/partner or whatever, not a friend. If a person has a good set of friends, why would he/she need to date to add to the collective? Being dishonest is the best way to make a so-called friend while honesty will attract a potentional relationship.

Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Glad to help

Mike always gives good advice.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: First date [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Glad to help

Classic movie, classic scene.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

*promptly slaps Physical Graffiti into the tape deck*

Quote Reply
Re: First date [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:
j p o wrote:
knewbike wrote:
Be an hour late because your junky car refuses to start. Kick some ex boyfriend guy out of her room when you arrive with an uncomfortable stare down. Don't bother to go out and have sex.

Wait. That was my 1st date with my wife 27 years ago.

I was going to go with sit around with your friends playing euchre and drinking beer then go to a midnight showing of The Wall. That is my go to move. It worked once and is all I have.

My wife asked me on a coffee date, my response "why would I want to do that?" Pissed her right off that a guy would turn her down so she doubled down on getting together with me. Next encounter was at a mutual friends bday party that she "encouraged" me to attend. I was absolutely shit faced when she showed up, she walked right up to me, gave me a hug, we kissed, she took my drunk ass back to my place when the bar closed and hasn't left since.

She still maintains the only reason she was interested was because I had the audacity to turn her down. She was not accustomed to that sort of treatment from guys.

I turned down my wife a couple of times and even tried to break up with her once early on in dating! 10 years later I still haven't managed to shake her :-).

Guess they really do only want what they can't have!
Quote Reply

Prev Next