Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is kind of cool is that this is actually going to be live on Sky Sport in NZ, one of the pop-up channels.

When I saw the Sky NZ logo on their list of stations probably doing live coverage I kind of thought BS. But I just checked the schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't look all that closely at the specifics of the events, but I'll take Cam Dye in every non-draft bike segment (if there are any).

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does sky have exclusive nz rights or can nests watch online too? Sky is a waste of money these days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about that. But it's easy to make yourself appear to be in the US! I doubt they will be monitoring that as closely as Netflix does.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flora Duffy was on TRS and she responded that she was invited... but then Super League came back with some excuse saying how they couldn't make a women's field happen this year. I wonder if its because many of the top women were not available... Thats really all i heard on the women's side.

salmonsteve wrote:

I followed them on twotter a couple weeks ago, haven't seen a single piece of media related to ladies, so tweeted them and asked if it were a sausage-fest or not. They've chosen not to reply.

Whats the story, have I missed something? Are there female events?

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super League is about bringing back the glory races from the 90s, which had every pro excited and ready to race. Look up F1 triathlons in Australia, and other super sprint races in the States from that time. Some were done in a velodrome - 25m temporary pool in the middle, ride on the track and run laps at the base. The switch up in order also promotes different kinds of racers and tactics. The fields were totally stacked and the racing super hot.

I applaud the key organizers for getting the going.

I will admit as some others have that triathlon racing right now at the Pro level is a bit stale and stagnant. In a post Olympic Year - this is the year to try something like this.

Pro/Elite Triathlon racing across the world is kind of in a funny state. In North America there is almost zero interest in ITU racing. Long course racing ie IRONMAN is "popular" but ask your average participant in the race are, who are the top Pros are in the race or in the sport and they will have no idea!

Elsewhere around the world, my understanding is things are a bit more balanced, and there is a greater profile - main reason, endurance sports of all kinds have a higher profile in many countries than they do in North America. It's probably why they could NOT secure a TV deal here for North America for the Super League

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's a shame there isn't a womens event this time, but also understandable, getting new concepts like this up & running can be a work in progress and it sounds like they're getting market share and then planning on introducing the girls.

Whats weird is they're all over the social media but wont acknowledge this.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to watching, will ring Sky this lunchtime, its San Remo this weekend too so that is always the time we get sky sports for 6 months.

Brandes wrote:
Flora Duffy was on TRS and she responded that she was invited... but then Super League came back with some excuse saying how they couldn't make a women's field happen this year. I wonder if its because many of the top women were not available... Thats really all i heard on the women's side.

salmonsteve wrote:

I followed them on twotter a couple weeks ago, haven't seen a single piece of media related to ladies, so tweeted them and asked if it were a sausage-fest or not. They've chosen not to reply.

Whats the story, have I missed something? Are there female events?

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how the participants were selected? Just one American participating, Cam Dye?
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Didn't look all that closely at the specifics of the events, but I'll take Cam Dye in every non-draft bike segment (if there are any).

Depends on the course - do they turn at all?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that the consistent top 20ish itu guys all got asked/selected. I've not seen the entire lineup but I'm guessing a few non-draft guys thrown in there too. 2 Americans made the list, but Joe Maloy recently retired.

Of course I think this is a kick ass event. I also wonder if this is more or less an one off "all star" event (IE same as Island House), or you can actually turn this into a 2-3 event yearly "series". The organizers are doing everything to market it so far. Took all the stars on a heli ride over the great barrier reef (is the GBR dead or not officially dead...i keep hearing different stories..sorry...lavendar room queston).

As to why they didn't include a women's race? Yes let's go with "researching market shares" as the answer (don't look but I think 10 ITU athletes are all pregnant atm including gold/silver medalists).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it is called a series so yes if all goes well the rest of the events will take place.
Have heard some rumours of where these other races will be held, they are after the ITU WTS season ends for 2017 and into 2018, That is season 1. Contracts are not just for one race but for the entire series and continue into season 2 if all goes well.
The womens series is meant to begin with the later 2017 events. As was mentioned earlier Flora Duffy was invited, I also know of other women invited. As the series advertises Worlds best athletes going head to head over formats not seen before, I fully understand that to not have the worlds best signed on for the series would be a massive compromise in ideals. With both gold and silver Olympic medalists not available, (and there are more top level athletes not available), to me it makes sense that the female series starts at round 2 when the top names can then be there.

oh and about the cycle loops, yes there are many turns, 1k loops I think I read somewhere
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does "all goes well" mean? TV numbers? Good reviews? Is there a barometer of success to determine future events?

eta: what time is the event starting?

In a few hours right?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 16, 17 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

In a few hours right?

16:30 local time i.e. Hamilton Island time.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What does "all goes well" mean? TV numbers? Good reviews? Is there a barometer of success to determine future events?

In a few hours right?

Athletes are signed on for the entire series of races so what I meant was unless some unforeseen catastrophic event occurs we should be seeing more. Just my thoughts.

I think about 5 hours from now. aest .says 4.30 but I am confused as queensland aren't on aest I don't think and Aus live tv Fox have it at 5.30... I would be watching from an hour earlier than advertisedjust incase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will there be a live stream on their website?
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [bruno82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bruno82 wrote:
Will there be a live stream on their website?

They say there will be
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please find a way to stop me hyping this!

but live, for free - on point
Formula 1 like commentary...insight-wise - totally on point
Coverage - holy smokes on point, so awesome footage

and you can stream this while your non-tri friends are around and it won't be boring for them...

awesomeeee

sent from my iPhone
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [kennick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB suffering pretty badly already. A surprise but not particularly surprised as it always takes at least one race to gauge what form he's in.

Birtwhistle, Mola, Murray and Gomez all look competitive.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [kennick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing i miss is some graphics telling me what they are doing.
I'm aware they have 3 rounds today, but turning in i have no idea which of the rounds they are on.

Listing the 3 rounds and making the one they are doing light up would be great!
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Really liked it.

Only criticism they need to lose the suits. Not sure what they should go to? Maybe country kits, but those suits look wank.

Everything else, so far, on point.

👌

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone apart from Murray and Varga looked destroyed. Brownlee looked like he'd just woken up for a dream and realised that he continued medicine at Cambridge and never won 2 Olympic Golds.

Murray's swim on the 2nd and 3rd leg stood up really well. He's a strong guy and perhaps when everyone else was tiring he was able to maintain his stroke. Varga obliterated the swims but also looked decent on the run and bike too.

Who knows what sort of shape they're going to be in tomorrow.

Ben Shaw had a fiasco. Miscounted how many bike laps he'd done after charging off on the front and then in the next race crashed.
Last edited by: messien: Mar 17, 17 1:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Day 1, very very impressed, seemed everything went extremely well!

Yeah, the kits make it a bit hard to quickly identify the athletes. I guess the more we watch the series we will get used to their numbers and ways to identify them.

The only addition I would like to see would be a "live" leaderboard, similar to how they have it on the ITU Live coverage. But in addition to the "current" race, have the day leaderboard, and the weekend leaderboard. Would be nice to have the "live" current race stats continously scrolling at the top or bottom of the screen, obviously it would only be up to date of the last timing mat, but think that would be a great addition. And going completely overboard, and not sure how it would even work or if it is currently possible, but with all of these interactive TV boxes now, I have seen some shows/events have a way to push a button that has a pop screen with other relevant info on it, not sure if they have the ability to do something like that.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good coverage and commentators who know what they're talking about............. that in itself is breaking new ground for triathlon!!

The format is brilliant I really enjoyed it, the only problem I foresee is that it will still only appeal to the triathlon community, I loved it but it was quite complex for someone not already into the sport.

Not sure what was up with AB, when I saw the hill on the bike course I expected him to be up at the front causing carnage from the gun. He looks like he's there to collect an appearance fee. It seems like there is no middle ground with AB, if he isn't decimating the field he is nowhere to be seen!
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I "should" be excited by this event. I went to their website and tried to figure out the format, but I didn't get it. I couldn't find a results listing either. And Macca's voice just kind of grated on me.

Maybe if I tried harder I would've figured it all out, but it's a warm sunny day here so I'm going out for a run.

If it catches on and is more than just a one-time thing I'll probably enjoy it. Sorry for being a debbie downer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next