Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Define "consciousness."

Then, is the point at which a being has "rights" the same point at which a being has value?

in this context i wouls define it as an awareness of stimuli.

value is subjective.

abortion at 1 week of pregnancy vs successful ivf procedure. which one is worse in your opinion?

Single cell organisms exhibit awareness of stimuli.

such as?

Um ... bacteria.

thats the 2d level of consciousness. its not the same thing.

What is? I am using YOUR definition. If you don't like it, fabricate a new definition.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If it's not arguable (perhaps), then there would never be a debate on this.

Ha ha! That's cute!

You're not a denier of basic biology, are you?

At the point of conception, a unique human organism (otherwise know as a human being, or a human life) comes into existence. Like I said, that's not really arguable. It's just basic science. If you believe that there should be no debate about whether or not it should be allowable to end a unique human life, welcome aboard. But that doesn't seem to be your position.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's simply a matter of science

No, "Human life" is not "Individual human life". There is no question that human life exists at the moment of conception. That is not to say that an indivual human life exists at that point...and yes it is a matter of science and science has not answered that question yet.

When a human being/human life/human organism becomes a person is perhaps more arguable. Perhaps.

And that is the point I'm making. Scientifically speaking individual human life is not the same as human life.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

If we are talking about a fetus before brain waves (~12 weeks) it is, for all intents and purposes, no different than any other organ, excepting that it will probably become a separate sentient human being, eventually.

That's a pretty MASSIVE difference!!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
How very republican of you to pass judgment on someone's personal choices that are none of your business.

There are lots of things people make personal choices about that don't have a direct impact on my life. If a couple makes a "personal choice" to abort a child, and the child can't speak for themselves, is it okay to speak out on that child's behalf or is it only the business of the couple?

Your business ends at the end of you nose. If it has no impact on your life, it doesn't concern you. If you have sperm in the game, then it does.

Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexual abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

That's quite a leap, even for you. The last time I checked, abortion was not a criminal act. Those who believe it is are radical conservative terrorists.

I'm not comparing abortion to anything. I did not mention abortion, did not refer to abortion, and was not addressing abortion.

Look at what you wrote. Look at it. Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexually abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

If that is not what you meant, then learn to write intelligently and work on your ability to express yourself through the written word.

So, do you care to revise your original answer to Sanuk or continue to look like a unintelligible boob?

I love how you people wander off topic and then take the [supposed] logical high ground when someone responds within the context of the original posting. Responding appropriately to stumbling upon a criminal act is one of the responsibilities we assume when we decide to be a member of a society that has gone to the trouble of determining what is, and what is not, a criminal act.

So now you sit as judge and jury to decide what is and is not a criminal act???

Wow. I really hope these posts merely evince your inability to formulate a coherent thought into written word and are not a reflection of your insanely warped mind.

Are you drunk, or just stoned? What, exactly, do you not comprehend in my statement?

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the point of conception, a unique human organism (otherwise know as a human being, or a human life) comes into existence. Like I said, that's not really arguable. It's just basic science.

I think if you did some looking around you'd find that in science "Human life" and "Individual human life" are used differently, at least that is my understanding. Human life defines life that is human or associated only with humans, DNA, Human cells, etc etc. Individual Human life tends to be used in discussions surrounding person hood, consciousness and individual human rights.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
How very republican of you to pass judgment on someone's personal choices that are none of your business.

There are lots of things people make personal choices about that don't have a direct impact on my life. If a couple makes a "personal choice" to abort a child, and the child can't speak for themselves, is it okay to speak out on that child's behalf or is it only the business of the couple?

Your business ends at the end of you nose. If it has no impact on your life, it doesn't concern you. If you have sperm in the game, then it does.

Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexual abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

That's quite a leap, even for you. The last time I checked, abortion was not a criminal act. Those who believe it is are radical conservative terrorists.

I'm not comparing abortion to anything. I did not mention abortion, did not refer to abortion, and was not addressing abortion.

Look at what you wrote. Look at it. Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexually abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

If that is not what you meant, then learn to write intelligently and work on your ability to express yourself through the written word.

So, do you care to revise your original answer to Sanuk or continue to look like a unintelligible boob?

I love how you people wander off topic and then take the [supposed] logical high ground when someone responds within the context of the original posting. Responding appropriately to stumbling upon a criminal act is one of the responsibilities we assume when we decide to be a member of a society that has gone to the trouble of determining what is, and what is not, a criminal act.

So now you sit as judge and jury to decide what is and is not a criminal act???

Wow. I really hope these posts merely evince your inability to formulate a coherent thought into written word and are not a reflection of your insanely warped mind.

Are you drunk, or just stoned? What, exactly, do you not comprehend in my statement?

It has nothing to do with my comprehension. It is what your words actually say. The fact that you lack the mental capacity to comprehend what your own written words actually say and the asinine position they express, comes of no surprise.

Your express position is that another couple's abortion has no direct impact on Sanuk, so he should mind his business. Well, the same can be said of a sexual assault upon which Sanuk comes upon. So, using your logic, he should not intervene in any manner. If you wish to clarify your position, you should do so. But, the words say what they say and that cannot be debated. Therefore, you either lack the ability to express yourself through written word or you truly are a despicable person who feels a person should not intervene in any matter than does not directly impact the person.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if the woman makes the choice on her own?

She must have had a good reason not to have your baby, and, quite frankly, I don't blame her.

What are you talking about?

You said abortion was only the business of a man if their sperm was involved so I asked about women who make the choice on their own. The pro-choice crowd typically supports a woman's right to choose, not a couple's right.

So, my question is, are you pro-choice if the woman can choose without any input from the man?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excepting that it will probably become a separate sentient human being,

I think this is an interesting perspective. It applies a value to potential. I'm not making a judgement call I just think it's an interesting note that for the most part there is a very high value placed on potential in this case.

In some cases we don't put a whole lot of value on potential and even in some cases it's regarded negatively if we do place value on potential. If for instance we were able test children at birth and could determine ones ability to learn, say a more sophisticated IQ test, I think there would be significant push back to placing more value on the child with more potential then the one with less potential. We in fact see this in our spending on severely handicapped children. Spending much more on children that will struggle to ever become independent then we would on a very gifted child.

So in the case of abortion we place far higher value on positive potential then we do in the case of intelligence and potential to benefit society.

Again, not a judgement or even an argument, just what I would consider to be an interesting observation.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
excepting that it will probably become a separate sentient human being,

I think this is an interesting perspective. It applies a value to potential. I'm not making a judgement call I just think it's an interesting note that for the most part there is a very high value placed on potential in this case.

In some cases we don't put a whole lot of value on potential and even in some cases it's regarded negatively if we do place value on potential. If for instance we were able test children at birth and could determine ones ability to learn, say a more sophisticated IQ test, I think there would be significant push back to placing more value on the child with more potential then the one with less potential. We in fact see this in our spending on severely handicapped children. Spending much more on children that will struggle to ever become independent then we would on a very gifted child.

So in the case of abortion we place far higher value on positive potential then we do in the case of intelligence and potential to benefit society.

Again, not a judgement or even an argument, just what I would consider to be an interesting observation.

~Matt

I agree with your observation regarding valuing potential, but question whether we are truly valuing "potential" here. Are we?

A group of developing skin cells only has the potential to become skin. A zygote has the potential to become a birthed baby. So, we are talking about two different entities completely rather than assigning value to "potential" of the cell grouping, aren't we?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
You didn't, and now you're pretending to talk about "levels" of consciousness, as if they're not only known to every but settled, and meaningful.

so you didnt get the joke after all.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BarryP wrote:

If we are talking about a fetus before brain waves (~12 weeks) it is, for all intents and purposes, no different than any other organ, excepting that it will probably become a separate sentient human being, eventually.

no its not. you abort a fetus, not a possibility of a human. you have no way of knowing if the aborted fetus would have ever survived or aborted on its own.

if you want to talk about the possibility of life as an argument against abortion then you commit a holocaust every time you masturbate. monster!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Responding appropriately to stumbling upon a criminal act is one of the responsibilities we assume when we decide to be a member of a society that has gone to the trouble of determining what is, and what is not, a criminal act.

It has nothing to do with my comprehension. It is what your words actually say. The fact that you lack the mental capacity to comprehend what your own written words actually say and the asinine position they express, comes of no surprise.

Your express position is that another couple's abortion has no direct impact on Sanuk, so he should mind his business. Well, the same can be said of a sexual assault upon which Sanuk comes upon. So, using your logic, he should not intervene in any manner. If you wish to clarify your position, you should do so. But, the words say what they say and that cannot be debated. Therefore, you either lack the ability to express yourself through written word or you truly are a despicable person who feels a person should not intervene in any matter than does not directly impact the person.

W.T.F.

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

She must have had a good reason not to have your baby, and, quite frankly, I don't blame her.

You said abortion was only the business of a man if their sperm was involved so I asked about women who make the choice on their own. The pro-choice crowd typically supports a woman's right to choose, not a couple's right.

So, my question is, are you pro-choice if the woman can choose without any input from the man?

I am not pro-choice, I am anti human procreation. Why would anyone, in their right mind and good conscious, create a being who knows it is going to die? Having children is a selfish act of cowardice.

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I'm pro-choice is because I don't think a woman should be forced to be a human incubator for 9 months for a baby she doesn't want.
An analogy I use is organ donation. Lets say someone needs a kidney transplant and you are the only tissue match they can find. The patient will die without a kidney and you have two. You might choose to donate a kidney and save someone's life or you might decide that you don't want to. It is your choice and nobody would force you to donate one of your kidneys.
As far as a woman's vs baby's rights. Roe V Wade divided pregnancy into trimesters. In the first trimester the mother's rights are paramount so abortion cannot be denied to her. In the middle trimester the rights of mother and child can be balanced. In the last trimester the foetus' rights can be considered above the mother's so more regulations can be made.
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
BarryP wrote:

no its not. you abort a fetus, not a possibility of a human. you have no way of knowing if the aborted fetus would have ever survived or aborted on its own.

if you want to talk about the possibility of life as an argument against abortion then you commit a holocaust every time you masturbate. monster!

You are not very good at this. Of course we know what happens to a fetus when not aborted. We have over 7.4 billion examples currently walking around.

More to the point - it is inconceivable to me that a vegan could be "pro-choice."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
Responding appropriately to stumbling upon a criminal act is one of the responsibilities we assume when we decide to be a member of a society that has gone to the trouble of determining what is, and what is not, a criminal act.

W.T.F.

You words, buddy. Now, you are at a loss to explain yourself as you have backed yourself into a morally deplorable corner.

Ok, let me help you out here. There are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people who believe hunting for sport is morally deplorable and are vociferously vocal in opposition to same. However, it is not illegal and it does not directly impact these people. Therefore, you believe these people should just shut the fuck up and mind their own business, right?

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
The reason I'm pro-choice is because I don't think a woman should be forced to be a human incubator for 9 months for a baby she doesn't want.

Aren't there ways to prevent the pregnancy?

outerlimit wrote:
An analogy I use is organ donation. Lets say someone needs a kidney transplant and you are the only tissue match they can find. The patient will die without a kidney and you have two. You might choose to donate a kidney and save someone's life or you might decide that you don't want to. It is your choice and nobody would force you to donate one of your kidneys.
As far as a woman's vs baby's rights. Roe V Wade divided pregnancy into trimesters. In the first trimester the mother's rights are paramount so abortion cannot be denied to her. In the middle trimester the rights of mother and child can be balanced. In the last trimester the foetus' rights can be considered above the mother's so more regulations can be made.

The woman (along with her partner) created the fetus to be aborted. You did not create the patient with the failing kidney. Not even remotely analogous.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I am not pro-choice, I am anti human procreation. Why would anyone, in their right mind and good conscious, create a being who knows it is going to die? Having children is a selfish act of cowardice.

Holy shit. I finally figured out who you are. Welcome back, doc. We missed you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:

W.T.F.

You words, buddy. Now, you are at a loss to explain yourself as you have backed yourself into a morally deplorable corner.

Ok, let me help you out here. There are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people who believe hunting for sport is morally deplorable and are vociferously vocal in opposition to same. However, it is not illegal and it does not directly impact these people. Therefore, you believe these people should just shut the fuck up and mind their own business, right?

Do you care to share what mind altering substances you have consumed this evening?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
BarryP wrote:

You are not very good at this. Of course we know what happens to a fetus when not aborted. We have over 7.4 billion examples currently walking around.

More to the point - it is inconceivable to me that a vegan could be "pro-choice."

no, you dont. you know one possible outcome and are incorrectly assuming that it is the only outcome. you would be correct only if 100% of pregnancies resulted in live births if not aborted by choice.

we know thats not even close to reality.

heres how a vegan can be peo choice in a super dumbed down argument: a cow demonstrably suffers more than a 12 week old fetus. about 90% of abortions happen before the 13th week..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
outerlimit wrote:

Aren't there ways to prevent the pregnancy?

outerlimit wrote:

The woman (along with her partner) created the fetus to be aborted. You did not create the patient with the failing kidney. Not even remotely analogous.

if the patient was their adult child?

regardless, it doesnt matter. if the maker was under obligation to save its creation....well you can see where that argument is going.

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
heres how a vegan can be peo choice in a super dumbed down argument: a cow demonstrably suffers more than a 12 week old fetus. about 90% of abortions happen before the 13th week..

How do you know that?

I simply cannot comprehend the mental gymnastics required to maintain these two moral philosophies at the same time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Now I understand your signature line...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:

How do you know that?

I simply cannot comprehend the mental gymnastics required to maintain these two moral philosophies at the same time.

i base that on what we know about the nervous systems of a 12 week old fetus as well as those of a cow.

there is no mental gymnastics required, the position, as stated, is consistent.

Quote Reply

Prev Next