Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. She wants a pistol and this one cane to mind.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought this pistol back in the Spring exactly as pictured sans the suppressor. I have never served in combat, but I can't see why this wouldn't be a leading contender for all of the reasons you mentioned.

This has replaced my Glock 19 9mm as my HD weapon since it has the laser and red dot and also because the stopping power is multiples of a 9mm. I do love shooting the Glock and agree with JSA about it being absolutely infallible and 'unjammable', but I love the FNX more. It is so easy to fire with easily handled recoil, minimal muzzle rise, fast follow up shots, and it is easy to put rounds in the target at 50'. There are multiple ways to carry it since it is SA/DA. Everything is ambidextrous. You can safely carry with a round chambered and decocked if that's your preference. The 12lb. trigger pull for the first round will prevent you from 'accidentally' squeezing off an unintended shot.

I. Love. This. Gun.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always felt the FNH pistol line was underrated. The biggest complaint I hear is the trigger, but it is a combat pistol, not a match pistol. With that said, it looks like they are moving from DA/SA, which I have always felt is ideal for combat or law enforcement.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
If I were making the decision, I would contract with Glock and outfit the military in the .45 variety. I am no Glock fanboi, but, the damn things are nearly infallible and easy as hell to work with and on.

They are, seriously, a study in industrial design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checked one out today and really liked it. I guess it's time to sell the 226.

~
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably compact 9mm.

~
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the one I have. I would not feel underfunded with that.

Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look who is out.

http://kitup.military.com/...tol-competition.html

That leaves glock, fnh, sig and Beretta with their striker gun. To be honest, of the 4 left, ony glock doesn't have a m designation on a gun. FNH has made M16s and SAW guns forever, SIG has the M11, and Beretta is Beretta, they squeezed out SIG on cost when they won the m9 contract.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that yesterday. I'm very surprised.

That said....

Sig is technically the only entrant that only entrant has met the RFP. If the Army follows it's own criteria, Sig should be the only entrant that "can" win the contract. I didn't think, however, that the Army would follow it's own criteria so strictly. Glock has a lot of fans in the armed forces (they're super popular amongst anyone operating under SOCOM) and they certainly have earned their reputation but I don't see them winning this contract as their submittal cannot really be construed to be "modular".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Glock has gained unofficial popularity. NAval special warfare moved to them after 20+ years with the 226.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Yes, the Glock has gained unofficial popularity. NAval special warfare moved to them after 20+ years with the 226.

That was not a big surprise considering the number 1 most individually purchased pistol by guys in Naval Specwar was a glock, often in .45. Considering its cheaper, no salt water/sand issues, and idiot proof, its hard to beat as a standard service pistol. For 200 extra bucks you can get a new trigger and storm lake barrel and its the real deal. Only other pistols that i know guys will buy on their own is the USP and Sig 227, both .45.

I am slightly surprised the HK VP9 has not made a serious attempt at contracts, essentially the same as Glock but a better trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought S&W would be a strong contender, but I'm not entirely surprised. Military Arms Channel recently did a adverse conditions test and the M&P would consistently hydrolock (fail to fire when submerged with water). That plus their initial issue with poor accuracy due to barrel dimensions and shit-triggers that had to be re-tuned made me not entirely a fan.
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H&Ks have a reputation for being over engineered. Not saying that is the true or not, but it is the perception. They also tend to be very bulky compared to any other pistol. Very rugged and robust though.

Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [KChen086] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KChen086 wrote:
I thought S&W would be a strong contender, but I'm not entirely surprised. Military Arms Channel recently did a adverse conditions test and the M&P would consistently hydrolock (fail to fire when submerged with water). That plus their initial issue with poor accuracy due to barrel dimensions and shit-triggers that had to be re-tuned made me not entirely a fan.

I didn't catch that. I've been a bit "out of the loop" for the last two years as I haven't had time to indulge my "other" hobby. Hydrolock is a no no for pistols. For gas operated rifles it's understandable but not for a weapon with a relatively short barrel operating on blow-back at comparatively low pressures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glock filed a protest.

https://kitup.military.com/...andgun-system-2.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On what grounds?

Do the pistols they submitted even meet the requirements of the contract? (I think those requirements were ridiculous and contrived, and I think the Glock is the no-brainer choice for a contract like this, but still.)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you know as others this is standard. Sig did the same against Beretta and then glock after the FBI selection. If anything it helps sig since it gives them 100 more days to get production up.

Glock would be negligent to its shareholders if it didn't exhaust every avenue. But not likely to change anything.

Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
On what grounds?

Do the pistols they submitted even meet the requirements of the contract? (I think those requirements were ridiculous and contrived, and I think the Glock is the no-brainer choice for a contract like this, but still.)

The best I can ascertain, Glock is claiming it's design was improperly disregarded as not being "modular." As Forge mentions, this is SOP for these contracts and likely is just Glock doing its due diligence.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumb. I get that it's SOP, it's still dumb and a waste of time. What's the point?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One could argue that Glocks were the first modular pistol. I swapped uppers, lowers, and magazines all the time, but certainly not modular within the design parameters and at a cheaper cost.

So I suspect this goes nowhere and 100 days pass with no action.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Dumb. I get that it's SOP, it's still dumb and a waste of time. What's the point?

I agree. But, the ridiculous government procurement process provides for such protests, so, IMO, Glock has to use every avenue available.

Maybe Trump has Glock stock in one of his portfolios ...

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish The Forge was still here!

Apparently, the Army's new handgun can fire if dropped. That can't be good. Glocks never fire when dropped. Just sayin' ...

The handgun chosen to be the U.S. Army's next generation handgun can fire if dropped while loaded. Tests conducted by gun bloggers has confirmed the gun will fire if dropped at a particular angle. The testing followed a multi-million dollar lawsuit by a Connecticut police officer who alleges he was injured after his Sig 320 handgun went off, critically injuring him.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/...17-drop-test-roblem/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Military version is different than the civilian/police version. This issue only affects the non-military version.

TheForge is alive and well on the SigTalk forum.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Any bets on US Army next gun? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
The Military version is different than the civilian/police version. This issue only affects the non-military version.

TheForge is alive and well on the SigTalk forum.

Do you have a link for that? Asking for my own edification.

Quote Reply

Prev Next