Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sausskross wrote:
Shouldn't it be a weightloss(relativ) x ftp(normalized) challenge?

No idea. I do not have a weight issue.

Just seems a fair question that if you look at what many folks might be lacking for racing, the number one thing for many
to focus on is losing weight, not more swim/bike or running.

More training leads to weight loss, no?

Well, since D'Wife's latest nickname for me is "Skinny Little Shit" I'm thinking there may be some benefit to more strength training this Winter and maybe some protein supplements? Granted, as a small hairless mammal, I will NEVER be "beefy" ... maybe switching some mass around may be beneficial?

Can we just rename this thread,

"BioPRENE (TM pending).....benefits and drawbacks....and the cheapest way to optimize your USAT LEGAL bioprene water rover ?"

The cool thing about USAT legality of bioprene is you can go way beyond 5 mm. If you want, go 11mm and blow away the water rover. It even helps you on the downhill part of the bike after the swim.

I heard the Kim Kardashian is making her personal order to make a protest at the skinny NYC Models and that Kanye things that Taylor should order some too.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, go for the TM. The next months I'll do some scientific experiments to explore BioPrene Efficieny and develop some maths for an index ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
Ok, go for the TM. The next months I'll do some scientific experiments to explore BioPrene Efficieny and develop some maths for an index ..

I am hoping that my current baseline offers the full data set for my current 11 mm built in bioprene rover. In the coming months I am hoping to have data points on 8mm bioprene, 5 mm bioprene and then hopefully get it down to 3mm bioprene by next summer. Both Watts per kilo and 400m swim split data should be available. I am expecting that as the bioprene thickness changes, the watts per kilo get better and the 400m swim time gets worse....well, I am hoping to have data on 11mm, 8mm, 5mm and 3 mm and not 11 mm, 18mm, 25mm and 30 mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We should our tools bring into line ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread has come just in to time to justify my inevitable over-indulgence at Christmas.

If I'm not swimming 1:20 100s in the new year then I'm blaming all of you guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, Dave. Never, ever change.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
This thread has come just in to time to justify my inevitable over-indulgence at Christmas.

If I'm not swimming 1:20 100s in the new year then I'm blaming all of you guys.

If 1:20 is slow for you, then that means you're thinning the bioprene suit. If 1:20 is fast for you that means you're thickening the bioprene suit. The good news is USAT supports you either way. Just don't try to win the swim split dick swinging and the watts per kilo dick swinging at the same time, cause you can't do both by trending your bioprene thickness the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sausskross wrote:

I am hoping that my current baseline offers the full data set for my current 11 mm built in bioprene rover. In the coming months I am hoping to have data points on 8mm bioprene, 5 mm bioprene and then hopefully get it down to 3mm bioprene by next summer. Both Watts per kilo and 400m swim split data should be available. I am expecting that as the bioprene thickness changes, the watts per kilo get better and the 400m swim time gets worse....well, I am hoping to have data on 11mm, 8mm, 5mm and 3 mm and not 11 mm, 18mm, 25mm and 30 mm

How many mm do you lose for each pound/kg that you lose??? Do you feel that you lose any muscle along with the fat??? For myself, I've found that I lose about half fat and half muscle when going from 180 lb/10% fat down to 160/5%. My height is about 6'1.5".

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my unscientific experiences (from the past) I can go down to 164lbs without loosing any pounds on the pedals. On the other hand being a walrus doesn't increase anything gravity has no positive feedback. If Bioprene is over the half inch range training in cold conditions is more effective and wring it out below a quarter inch in spring feels like being a 6,26 ft feather .. so I have to be careful at yaws ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Dec 5, 16 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well for next season one of my main targets a W/kg figure.
I hope to achieve it via a 7% gain in FTP and 6% loss in mass.
I can definitely lose the weight, I did it briefly this season but didn't stay there due to some poor discipline from the middle of the season onwards. The FTP gain is looking promising so far but we'll see.
Still, I've no interest in tracking this with others online. No offense!
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Well for next season one of my main targets a W/kg figure.
I hope to achieve it via a 7% gain in FTP and 6% loss in mass.
I can definitely lose the weight, I did it briefly this season but didn't stay there due to some poor discipline from the middle of the season onwards. The FTP gain is looking promising so far but we'll see.
Still, I've no interest in tracking this with others online. No offense!

Was not suggesting anything.

I do not see folks going nuts about reporting bike gains, or even run gains.

It just hit me that if one were to put down a list of things that are important to deal with for having ones best racing, where in the order is weight?
For many, it seems like weight is number one. But I just see so many ignoring this that is just had me asking, do most folks always
try to find an easy way to try and get faster, without really having to put the hard work in?

When folks ask me for inputs as to how to get better, if I just look at them and if they have some weight to lose, I suggest that first. Not fancy, so most ignore the
suggestion.

How many folks are told by their doctors that they need to lose weight, stop smoking, eat better, get more sleep, but totally ignore the inputs? (Does not help
when the doctor or nurse is fat trying to give this advice. )

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
From my unscientific experiences (from the past) I can go down to 164lbs without losing any pounds on the pedals. On the other hand being a walrus doesn't increase anything gravity has no positive feedback. If Bioprene is over the half inch range training in cold conditions is more effective and wring it out below a quarter inch in spring feels like being a 6,26 ft feather .. so I have to be careful at yaws ..

What are your beginning and ending weights and percentages??? I see the end weight is 164 but what about the other numbers??? Also, are you 6' 2.6" or 6.26'???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we get back on track with the different versions and attributes of Bioprene??????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Can we get back on track with the different versions and attributes of Bioprene??????

I have no idea what Bioprene is, and no desire to look it up. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how this thread might have gone if someone else made the suggestion? I was genuinely interested in a weight loss challenge so I opened it up expecting to find other likeminded people. Unfortunately I forgot that everyone on ST weighs 150 pounds and has a W/KG of 7+. I don't always agree with some of your posts Dave but thought this one was worthwhile... I know I definitely need to work on weight loss. Apparently taking 6 weeks off and drinking beer wasn't a good way to start the offseason!
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I wonder how this thread might have gone if someone else made the suggestion? I was genuinely interested in a weight loss challenge so I opened it up expecting to find other likeminded people. Unfortunately I forgot that everyone on ST weighs 150 pounds and has a W/KG of 7+.

+1 - I've got 15 pounds I'm working on.

I think piling on Dave is also just something everyone here does, although I haven't been around ST long enough to understand why.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:
I wonder how this thread might have gone if someone else made the suggestion? I was genuinely interested in a weight loss challenge so I opened it up expecting to find other likeminded people. Unfortunately I forgot that everyone on ST weighs 150 pounds and has a W/KG of 7+.

I think piling on Dave is also just something everyone here does, although I haven't been around ST long enough to understand why.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have 20 pounds to lose to get back to my IMLou weight... and that was 15 pounds overweight to start! 21 pounds since October 9th... It's impressive! Pathetic, but impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy walrus cow, the converter says 6.26ft in ft ore 6feet and 3.2icnhes. My walrus weight is up to 194lbs, since some years it takes 4 months going down slowly and 2 months going up fast .. next year I try to go down much faster and meet a smaller walrus later .. it's called metabolic balance ore now: BioPrene Balance (TM pending)

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Dec 5, 16 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I will approach this with honesty....
Current weight 170
Goal 165 (January 1st)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Reading some other threads here and observing market trends, should BioPrene Efficiency be an entry level starter kit - ore in the exclusive high end membership category?

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
Holy walrus cow, the converter says 6.26ft in ft ore 6feet and 3.2icnhes. My walrus weight is up to 194lbs, since some years it takes 4 months going down slowly and 2 months going up fast .. next year I try to go down much faster and meet a smaller walrus later .. it's called metabolic balance ore now: BioPrene Balance (TM pending)

walrussing happily at 176lbs and 6'2", down from 182 a couple months back. Warmer and faster in the pool, this BioPrene stuff is great ;-)
As long as I can stay at or below 175 for the winter, it will be well, can shift those 5lbs as usual in the spring by getting out more.

@ericmulk, for me optimum running weight is low 160s, don't believe there is significant muscle loss in my case getting to that, just get leaner. But I have great difficulty in putting on muscle, so guess a lot of this depends on body type. My brother was a muscular competitive swimmer, when he loses weight he does seem to lose muscle as well - but he's been biking to lose the weight, so it's not quite a fair comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no lose weight challenge? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I wonder how this thread might have gone if someone else made the suggestion? I was genuinely interested in a weight loss challenge so I opened it up expecting to find other likeminded people. Unfortunately I forgot that everyone on ST weighs 150 pounds and has a W/KG of 7+. I don't always agree with some of your posts Dave but thought this one was worthwhile... I know I definitely need to work on weight loss. Apparently taking 6 weeks off and drinking beer wasn't a good way to start the offseason!

I am always trying to throw out ideas, that I, and others racers talk about. But yep, as you see, on ST, the bullies always jump in.

Just ignoring them, seems like now, with the holidays, is a great time to focus on weight. I know I am like crazy, and so far, have been able to stay ahead of it.

Good luck. If some just put as much energy into weight control, as they do for training, etc., it can work, but the older we get, the harder it gets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
Toefuzz wrote:

The experts do not like that I have been successful doing training and racing all the wrong "ST" ways and try to offer to folks their might
be other ways to train. Drives the bullies nuts.

Good luck. Once the weight is on, boy is it hard to get off, especially during winter

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This thread indeed would have been better received had it been posted by most anyone else. Instead, it was greeted with the denigration and derailing it deserved given the OP's history of backdoor bragging and then standing back, ostensibly dumbfounded as to why anyone would think that's what he was trying to do?

As in "gee, Dave, how much weight do you need to lose?"

"Well, none, because as I say ad nauseam I'm always at race weight..."

Anyway....what was that -prene thing again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Reading some other threads here and observing market trends, should BioPrene Efficiency be an entry level starter kit - ore in the exclusive high end membership category?

In all seriousness, I was pretty good about staying close to optimal weight all year. My normal "off-season weight is 142, race season 138, A event 137 to 136". I stayed around 140 all year with no racing but in the last 8 weeks seem to have just lost discipline and cranked up to 148....so I need to reverse the trend even though I am not racing. Racing has provided me with discipline to stay pretty cut for 30 years and I have to get back on that train even without racing. I know how to do it, so it's just applying the process...at 51 I can't. go from 148 up to 158 (I have not been 158 since lifting as a 22 yeat old but that was 5 percent fat). Highschooll weight was 140 and no reason to not be there. So I plan to take off the bioprene and next year climb Alpe d'Huez at 4.3W per kilo by cutting kilos and showing up lean like Quintana
Quote Reply

Prev Next