Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Thanks for this. I spent all afternoon athlinksing/googling everyone in my age group, and everyone is slow except one guy from Germany. Looks like I am going to Hefei.

Cool! See you in Hefei.

I'm not so lucky, found out 4 guys on my AG who've been to KONA. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mission accomplished! Xiamen 70.3 is SOLD OUT!
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:
Ok, what about a woman (me) in the F30-34 age group being able to qualify? My 70.3 PR is 5:33 in Muskoka (which is longer than 70.3miles)...I did this race twice (in the same time range) and placed 4th and 7th (if I remember correctly). What are the chances of local women in China being a strong threat and/or how many women from US/Kiwi/Aussie in my AG would be willing to travel across the world for Kona? I am guessing not too many because many will probably have children logistics and etc...thoughts?

A fair few of my club mates are heading over including two women in your AG that are around the 4.25/4.35 mark. I think the standard is going to be very high.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found in my age group 25-29 for Hefei 70.3 only 4 non-Chinese athletes (2 pro's). I have to be able to do a 4.30-4.45, normally far from enough to KQ, but who knows... It is worth thinking of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which age group are you in? I'll be going as well if I can get the green light..
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
kileyay wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:
So Hefei has 50 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Xiamen has 40 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Plus there'll be 10 Kona slots awarded at Xiamen for the best finishers from both.

Any idea how the slots will be awarded? Will there be 2 slot allocations and roll downs? Would you be able to get both slots or have to choose etc?

Typically, yes, you'd get both slots

Before I posted this I actually asked Ironman the same question, I got this reply:

"Thank you for reaching out to us.
If an athlete wins both slots he must choose only one between the Kona or the 70.3 World Championship slot.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Cheers,
Pritti
PRITTI LAMAISON 愛心
Director, Athlete Services
IRONMAN®
ironman.com"

Did someone attend the rolldown and found out what actually transpired re Chattanooga Slots?
Cheers
Roberto
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:

Did someone attend the rolldown and found out what actually transpired re Chattanooga Slots?
Cheers
Roberto

I was there and got a rolldown spot for Chattanooga 70.3 WC.

This is the biggest rolldown party I've witnessed ever! Hundreds of athletes, families and friends showed up to witness the first ever KONA/70.3 rolldown party held in mainland China (the last one was held on Hainan Island back in 2010). Chinese nationals took 3 KONA spots and 7 Chattanooga 70.3 WC spots. The rest 90 spots were all taken by foreigners.

The field was extremely strong unlike anyone expected or hoped for an easy KQ. I usually would get a top-10 finish and rank top 6% of my AG in a Canadian 70.3 or 140.6, but I only got got 22nd or top 11% in Hefei 70.3 (4:41 - 0:38/2:28/1:29). So, the competition is like twice stronger than usual!

There were 1589 racers all together. Among them 990 were Chinese nationals and 599 were foreigners (KQ spots attracted!!!).

Last edited by: tie3: Oct 20, 16 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two Hefei 70.3 reviews from fellow STers:

Brad Williams - 3:57:22 - 3rd overall
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tring=hefei#p6110828

dasOlind:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...P6113059-2/#p6113494
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. So could you get 2 slots for both events or was it "either or"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:
Nice. So could you get 2 slots for both events or was it "either or"?

Nope! You can only claim one spot, KONA or 70.3. So basically the rolldown for KONA took place first, then followed by 70.3. Only a Taiwanese girl didn't claim her KONA spot (F18-24 winner) and took a 70.3 instead (the rumor was she's preparing for next Olympic Games and there's an important race for her next October).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess it was pretty smoggy!

Advertised vs. Actual
Last edited by: ninagski: Oct 20, 16 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race morning, "lighted polluted".

Last edited by: tie3: Oct 20, 16 14:25
Quote Reply