Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah you're probably right. The 18-24 and 25-29 age groups tend to be significantly weaker and shallower at races like STX though, largely because guys that age just don't have the money to fly around the world KQ chasing
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hi Dev,

Which of these two race venues is more appealing? What would a Racecation itinerary look like?

Scott

I have been to neither. But I THINK Xiamen might be easier to get to. Lots of direct flights from mainland US to Hong Kong or Taipei direct and then connect to Xiamen. As I mentioned above, I would spend some time in Hong Kong after the race
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Yeah you're probably right. The 18-24 and 25-29 age groups tend to be significantly weaker and shallower at races like STX though, largely because guys that age just don't have the money to fly around the world KQ chasing

Yeah that makes sense....35+ though lots of fast guys with money. In terms of costs to go do this race in China, I saw several flight from Chicago to Hong Kong for $650 USD. Add $400 or so for the connector flight at each end and hotel costs and eating should be around 50% cheaper than a local US race. So if you want to do it cheap, I THINK you can do it for under $2000 including entry fee. Not cheap, but not insane either.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah looks like I can get there from NY with 2 stops for under $800. 20 hours of travel though.

But, like you said, it would be an amazing cultural experience too. Hmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Yeah looks like I can get there from NY with 2 stops for under $800. 20 hours of travel though.

But, like you said, it would be an amazing cultural experience too. Hmm...

It takes me 12 hours to get from my home in Ottawa to my office in San Jose on an average day, 10.5 hrs on a good day, 13 on a bad day. 20 hours to get Xiamen sounds pretty good....add 5 more hours (3 hours on the depart side, 2 hours on the arrival side) to get a proper estimate for door to door time which is what matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hi Dev,

Which of these two race venues is more appealing? What would a Racecation itinerary look like?

Scott

Hefei is the back waters of China, not appealing at all. Not exactly hinterland, but not on anyone's list of top 20 places to visit.

Xiamen is located on the coast and is a really beautiful place, but the humidity is smothering. It has historical and cultural significance, and those who paid attention in history will know the place by the name Amoy, which was a treaty port (place for which concessions were made to foreign governments) back in the 1800s.

ETA: Hefei is located in the more polluted areas of China, so there's always that. The PM 2.5 particulates are a real nuissance
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 9, 16 19:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on my personal experience, 70.3 slots on new Ironman markets are a dime a dozen. I have been to Vegas twice via Philippines 70.3 during it's earlier years.
There just wasn't enough people based in Asia/Oceania willing to travel to the US (and spend more miney) and deal with getting a visa. They were practically giving the slots away to whoever wants them. For West Coast based folks like us, sure, we'll drive to Vegas and do the race.
There was a year when Kona slots were given in the Philippines race and it was mostly taken by the podium folks and I bet there were some 70.3 slots not claimed.
If you have a 4:30 70.3 PR, I would do the race. You are at least assured a 70.3 slot and have very high likelihood of getting a Kona spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
uk_bloke wrote:
So Hefei has 50 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Xiamen has 40 Kona slots and 50 for the Chattanooga 70.3 WCs. Plus there'll be 10 Kona slots awarded at Xiamen for the best finishers from both.

Any idea how the slots will be awarded? Will there be 2 slot allocations and roll downs? Would you be able to get both slots or have to choose etc?

Typically, yes, you'd get both slots

Before I posted this I actually asked Ironman the same question, I got this reply:

"Thank you for reaching out to us.
If an athlete wins both slots he must choose only one between the Kona or the 70.3 World Championship slot.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Cheers,
Pritti
PRITTI LAMAISON 愛心
Director, Athlete Services
IRONMAN®
ironman.com"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
or if you did your 5 hour on a course like Muskoka or Wildflower or St. Croix.

That's me! I did Muskoka 70.3 in 4:57 last year. I think I'm going to give it a shot and meet some of my families and friends in the same trip. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Xiamen is located on the coast and is a really beautiful place, but the humidity is smothering.

Good call. It won't be all that hot but it will be exceptionally humid.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't underestimate the talent over there. Some of those Chinamen are pretty fine athletes. My biggest concern would be air quality. I've been over there before and I couldn't imagine trying to compete at a high level endurance event in the smog that is present in many of the urban area.

teambernina wrote:
Any idea how strong the locals are (we might not see them travelling to regular WTC international races that much otherwise, like in Turkey or Brazil)

R
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had my Chinese work colleague read the www.ironman-china.com website. It says there are 50 Slots for IRONMAN TEXAS 2017 :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:
Just had my Chinese work colleague read the www.ironman-china.com website. It says there are 50 Slots for IRONMAN TEXAS 2017 :-D

The 2017 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas North American Championship offers 75 qualifying slots for the 2016 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz4E6yOKG43
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tie3 wrote:
teambernina wrote:

The 2017 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas North American Championship offers 75 qualifying slots for the 2016 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

That is awesome. I can sign up for IM Texas 2017 and go back in time to Kona 2016 if I were to qualify. Sign me up any time I can get back 6 months of my life. Imagine what you could do do if you could go back in time 6 months knowing everything that will happen in the next 6 months......I could rig all of NASDAQ and the world economy with that knowledge!!! This would be beyond awesome.

Where do I sign up for the time machine. If I could go back 9 months to last October and avoid the single moment in time when the nerve roots in my spine got screwed up, I'd give anything!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have been pink. I actually says Hefei has 50 slots to qualify for IM Texas 2017 😊
R
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be obvious, but for all those considering this from the US, please be aware that you need a Visa to get into China and you should apply for this early on, rather than the week before the race, as there can be paperwork issues if you are mailing stuff back and forth

Typically, you need a letter of invitation from some in China and they are good for 6 months- 1 year and a single or multiple visits. My guess is it depends on rationale.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/faq/

oh, and last I checked, it's $140 bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [sjcby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teambernina wrote:
Should have been pink. I actually says Hefei has 50 slots to qualify for IM Texas 2017 😊
R

No, the Chinese website still says the old misleading info about world championship qualifying. 50 slots to 70.3 worlds and 15 slots to KONA (which was misleading).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
tie3 wrote:
teambernina wrote:

That is awesome. I can sign up for IM Texas 2017 and go back in time to Kona 2016 if I were to qualify. Sign me up any time I can get back 6 months of my life. Imagine what you could do do if you could go back in time 6 months knowing everything that will happen in the next 6 months......I could rig all of NASDAQ and the world economy with that knowledge!!! This would be beyond awesome.

Where do I sign up for the time machine. If I could go back 9 months to last October and avoid the single moment in time when the nerve roots in my spine got screwed up, I'd give anything!

LOL! WTC might have got that machine made in China with help from Wanda, if you dare to try.

http://www.ironman.com/...s/ironman/texas.aspx
Last edited by: tie3: Jul 11, 16 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [arkmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, what about a woman (me) in the F30-34 age group being able to qualify? My 70.3 PR is 5:33 in Muskoka (which is longer than 70.3miles)...I did this race twice (in the same time range) and placed 4th and 7th (if I remember correctly). What are the chances of local women in China being a strong threat and/or how many women from US/Kiwi/Aussie in my AG would be willing to travel across the world for Kona? I am guessing not too many because many will probably have children logistics and etc...thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronLady wrote:
Ok, what about a woman (me) in the F30-34 age group being able to qualify? My 70.3 PR is 5:33 in Muskoka (which is longer than 70.3miles)...I did this race twice (in the same time range) and placed 4th and 7th (if I remember correctly). What are the chances of local women in China being a strong threat and/or how many women from US/Kiwi/Aussie in my AG would be willing to travel across the world for Kona? I am guessing not too many because many will probably have children logistics and etc...thoughts?

I think describe your chances as "unlikely but possible". I like to use St. Croix from 2012-2014 as a proxy for answering this question, since it had Kona slots and was difficult/expensive to travel to. Consdiering Muskoka and STX are similar courses timewise, with your PR you would have qualified and won your age group at St. Croix in 2013, but in 2014 you would have been 8th, and in 2012 5th.
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
IronLady wrote:

I think describe your chances as "unlikely but possible". I like to use St. Croix from 2012-2014 as a proxy for answering this question, since it had Kona slots and was difficult/expensive to travel to. Consdiering Muskoka and STX are similar courses timewise, with your PR you would have qualified and won your age group at St. Croix in 2013, but in 2014 you would have been 8th, and in 2012 5th.

Yup, possible but not guaranteed! You'll find no local threads from within mainland China. However, your competitors will be coming from Australia, New Zealand, HK, Japan ...

Check this participant list to see who's already signed up by 7/15:

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/5fe64fabc5d54f608f6eed0c6ace2a94/2016%20participant%20list%20hefei%207%2018.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing to consider about this race...you won't be able to access your Gmail or Facebook. My guess is Slowtwitch will also be banned. How will we survive?
Quote Reply
Re: Hefei 70.3 & Xiamen 70.3 get 100 Kona Slots [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Another thing to consider about this race...you won't be able to access your Gmail or Facebook. My guess is Slowtwitch will also be banned. How will we survive?

When I am in China I get my gmail, but not my facebook.

On most of my trips it was hit and miss to get ST. It's not because China banned ST, it is because Dan banned access to ST from most of China's IP addresses a while ago. For example, in Beijing, I could not access ST from the land line in my hotel, however, I could get on my cell phone and access ST via China Mobile's 3G network. I guess Dan did not ban that IP address! If I recall correctly in Shenzhen I accessed ST from the IP address in my hotel room. Everything was good in Hong Kong.

Now with Wanda investing in triathlon in China will Dan lift his ST ban of China IP addresses on the mainland?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. I spent all afternoon athlinksing/googling everyone in my age group, and everyone is slow except one guy from Germany. Looks like I am going to Hefei.
Quote Reply

Prev Next