Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016
Quote | Reply
2716 registered, 1028 DNF or DNS (or listed as 00:00:00 in the official results)

2212 starters, 525 DNF (approx)

Seems pretty high!

The conditions must have been brutal out there. Bravo to all the guys and gals who braved it.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Sep 26, 16 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: 38% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016! [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thread says it is 25%. Does 38% include DNS?
Quote Reply
Re: 38% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Another thread says it is 25%. Does 38% include DNS?

I edited. It. Thanks, I thought that seemed too high.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Sep 26, 16 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: 38% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016! [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
2716 starters

That really means 2716 registered. So 1028 combined DNS/DNF. In the other thread, Sylvan said:

sylvan wrote:
Just over 25% DNF. Pretty horrific but not the worst ever.
Quote Reply
Re: 38% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016! [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
2716 starters

That really means 2716 registered. So 1028 combined DNS/DNF. In the other thread, Sylvan said:

sylvan wrote:
Just over 25% DNF. Pretty horrific but not the worst ever.

He would definitely know the numbers more than me. I'd imagine the sun and hills on the run course were just too much.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone know spots or roll down yet?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure of the exact number, but Frankfurt last year was >30% drop-out; something like 34% I think. They still wouldn't give me an extra finishers shirt when I asked a few weeks later.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was really bad. I sat under the market street bridge around 5 pm and watched IM bringing athlete after athlete in on the carts. In a span of 6-7 minutes of talking on the phone, I counted 11 athletes. And this was just one route they took to bring in athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
2716 registered, 1028 DNF or DNS (or listed as 00:00:00 in the official results)

2212 starters, 525 DNF (approx)

Seems pretty high!

The conditions must have been brutal out there. Bravo to all the guys and gals who braved it.

The run was horrible. 97 degrees and zero shade for the first 4 miles of the run course!
The carnage on both the bike and run was incredible. Ambulances running all day.

Quite a baptism by fire for my first full.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Not sure of the exact number, but Frankfurt last year was >30% drop-out; something like 34% I think. They still wouldn't give me an extra finishers shirt when I asked a few weeks later.

Not quite. Ironman Frankfurt 2015 had a COMBINED DNS/DNF rate of 34.5%. You have to factor out the DNS numbers to get to a true DNF. WTC has no interest in publishing DNF rates to their AG clientele so they don't make it easy to find the true number. DNS often runs 10-15% which WTC counts on to oversell races. Assuming 12% DNS by process of rectal extraction, we can guess that Frankfurt 15 had a DNF rate around 22.5% ... still shockingly high, but not record territory.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost nothing rolled down. No finishers in M75, M80 or F70 and then both finishers in F18-24 were no shows so that re-allocated 4 slots. All 5 for M45 were taken. 6th and 7th were 15/100 sec apart in the results, rounded up to the same second, so it would have been interesting if one of those 5 rolled.

M18-24 12 1
M25-29 54 1
M30-34 137 2
M35-39 187 3
M40-44 209 3+1
M45-49 285 4+1
M50-54 197 3
M55-59 91 2
M60-64 52 1
M65-69 8 1
M70-74 2 1
M75-79 1 1-1
M80+ 1 1-1

F18-24 6 1-1
F25-29 50 1
F30-34 63 1+1
F35-39 87 2
F40-44 124 2+1
F45-49 138 3
F50-54 99 2
F55-59 47 1
F60-64 17 1
F65-69 2 1
F70-74 1 1-1

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be that guy and suggest that DNF rates will continue to increase when conditions are brutal, due to the increased "commercialization" of the Ironman Distance.

I recall doing IMWI in 2005 - where there was an astounding DNF rate of 8% (IIRC).
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
we can guess that Frankfurt 15 had a DNF rate around 22.5% ... still shockingly high, but not record territory.
And lower than Chatt yesterday. I was afraid it would be like that. Just setting up some equipment at 9 am Saturday the sun felt brutal. Felt worse to me than CdA last year which was ultimately about 10 degrees hotter.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's bad when they are collecting the bikes from all the competitors who are roadkill with a rental truck.

I must have seen at least 50 people laying down in the shade or getting medical attention. 5th Ironman and I have never seen that many down on the bike.

It reminded of the first year of Ironman Louisville except most of that carnage was on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most marathons will cancel the event if the heat index is even close to hot, and they try to schedule most of them in the cooler months. In comparison, Ironmans make no sense by not only running them in conditions far hotter than what's considered "safe", but also running the marathon after people are dehydrated from the bike ride. You'd think with that, there's be a rule that there's no first-timers; you have to do some half Ironmans first. But you know... gotta make that green.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
216 did not finish ironman moo 2016 out of 2500 that started. Bike course killed most
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dropped at mile 16 of the run. Not a medical emergency, just no compelling reason to hurt myself any further. I was already on the verge of not being able to get any more nutrition into my body, and I've never had GI issues during an event.

Luckily I'm local so the stakes were lower. But it sucks to get carted back to the finish line under any circumstances.

Props to the people who finished comfortably. Honestly, it's even tougher to watch people hurting themselves just to get the finish.

And whoever mentioned the marathons -- spot on. When I hear things like "the race was shortened as temperatures soared into the mid 80s....." I have to wonder what the RD is thinking as we topped out at 97.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
97 was a record high for choo yesterday. Max humidity was 87. Thus heat index was absolutely off the charts.

That was as hot as when i rode through the mojave and sonora desert in auguat of 2009.

Overall it was hot, but tolerable. The run was just silly hot

Rr coming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 champs is the same general time of year/same place next year... from Ironman's site "Chattanooga lures athletes with its dramatic backdrop, idyllic weather"
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced in Chattanooga a fair bit and yesterday reminded me of the waterfront triathlon except we had to run 26 miles instead of the 6 miles.

I was where I thought I would be going out into the run, but dealt with GI issues the first 8 miles. I really thought I was going to have to walk the whole thing, but ended up strangely running the 2nd half a little bit more than 20 mins faster than the first. It was my 5th and first time I've negative split an IM marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Most marathons will cancel the event if the heat index is even close to hot, and they try to schedule most of them in the cooler months. In comparison, Ironmans make no sense by not only running them in conditions far hotter than what's considered "safe", but also running the marathon after people are dehydrated from the bike ride. You'd think with that, there's be a rule that there's no first-timers; you have to do some half Ironmans first. But you know... gotta make that green.

I can't imagine that there would be very many starters who had not done at least a HIM prior to their first IM, but even so, you have to be an adult to register so if someone is under trained that is on them, not WTC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott - Im not one to jump on the "it was so hot/brutal/worst conditions ever/crazy" bandwagon, but in this case, it was hands down the hardest and hottest race of my life. I will never do something like that again.

Kona x 3 and Louisville x 2 in August have nothing on what went down yesterday. That was f-king insane.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh -

I'm not saying it wasn't miserable, I'm just saying that 11 years ago a "shocking" DNF rate on a brutal day was something like 8%, not it's 20%+...

I had plenty of hard workouts this summer in ~90-95 degree days with lots of humidity - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do an Ironman on any of those days, so definitely props.
Quote Reply
Re: ~25% DNF Rate at Ironman Chattanooga 2016 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

I can't imagine that there would be very many starters who had not done at least a HIM prior to their first IM, but even so, you have to be an adult to register so if someone is under trained that is on them, not WTC.

agree. I'm sure there are athletes who go from Olympic to IM distance and train appropriately. Others of course come to line not properly trained. I'm doing IM Chatt as my first full distance so hopefully the weather won't be so toasty.
Quote Reply

Prev Next