Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Also, if we are going to get rid of some of the antics can we stop being subject to Hosszu's husband. The yelling and chest pounding is brutal. Someone should grab that little pony tail and make him sit down.

Amen, brother....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Also, if we are going to get rid of some of the antics can we stop being subject to Hosszu's husband. The yelling and chest pounding is brutal. Someone should grab that little pony tail and make him sit down.

Amen, brother....

Is that baby tail a man bun? Or is that called something else?
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a man bun, and every bit as hideous as they've ever been, even when they were fashionable...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phelps knows how to win. That's what separates him from the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
He shadow boxed right in front of Phelp's face. //

And how about that face. Do you all think that those dog like snarls were on purpose, or were then like a dog and just a non thought out reaction? It was kind of creepy looking at his mouth and lips, thought he could leap out and rip his throat out at any second..

my wife and I were laughing so hard, we disturbed our dog, who came over to check on me..
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Is it just me, or was anyone else turned off by Phelps antics after the race?

I'm tired of the drama at the games. I just wanna see the swimming.

So far, Ledecky, Hosszu and Peaty have had the most dominant performances, and they've looked like they're just happy to win. No ego.

I'm with you on that. We were talking about his post race antics at work this morning. I'm a big fan of his but that was not classy at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
"Good for him. He's literally the most decorated Olympian in history. If anyone deserves to do something like that, he does."

In Modern Olympics History, yes. In ALL-Time, he literally tied a dude who's literally been dead for more than 2,000 years

http://www.sbnation.com/...d-leonidas-of-rhodes

Next gold medal, he's on top all by himself

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
logella wrote:
"Good for him. He's literally the most decorated Olympian in history. If anyone deserves to do something like that, he does."

In Modern Olympics History, yes. In ALL-Time, he literally tied a dude who's literally been dead for more than 2,000 years

Literally
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
logella wrote:

I'm surprised Leonidas had time to train. I thought he was pretty busy at Thermopylae with the Persians.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Is it just me, or was anyone else turned off by Phelps antics after the race? .

He's the best Olympian athlete of all times. He can celebrate his victory however he wants, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for Leonidas but last I checked 25 total Olympic medals (however broken down) is more than 12.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

So far, Ledecky, Hosszu and Peaty have had the most dominant performances, and they've looked like they're just happy to win. No ego.

Women's 200 free was the race of the Games though. Lived up to the hype.

Not at all. That was gold #20 for him. Waving your finger at a dope that was trying to intimidate you and didn't even medal it kind of funny - Its the King of the pool putting a punk in his place.

Ledecky should be happy - she's 19 and starting her career I believe. If she gets to 20 golds, I'm sure her reactions will be different.

Want to see something very unsportsmanlike. Go watch the men's fencing final from Sunday The Italian guy who won the medal tossed off his helmet twice (turned out the 1'st time was premature) and then ran around the arena. WAY over the top.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
(turned out the 1st time was premature)

Aren't they always?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good read here as why he was so stoked for that one....

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...-that-mattered-most/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Not at all. That was gold #20 for him. Waving your finger at a dope that was trying to intimidate you and didn't even medal it kind of funny - Its the King of the pool putting a punk in his place.

Ledecky should be happy - she's 19 and starting her career I believe. If she gets to 20 golds, I'm sure her reactions will be different.

Want to see something very unsportsmanlike. Go watch the men's fencing final from Sunday The Italian guy who won the medal tossed off his helmet twice (turned out the 1'st time was premature) and then ran around the arena. WAY over the top.

Just to be clear, Le Clos is not any punk. He's the punk that beat Phelps in London doing what Phelps did to Cavic in Beijing. Phelps was just claiming his event back. Kind of like Hinault getting his TdF title back after Fignon kinds of stole it for a few years or Brady getting back the Superbowl after Eli Manning steals his perfect season and the superbowl from under his nose. These champions like to rise back from being one upped momentarily!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Just to be clear, Le Clos is not any punk. He's the punk that beat Phelps in London doing what Phelps did to Cavic in Beijing. Phelps was just claiming his event back. Kind of like Hinault getting his TdF title back after Fignon kinds of stole it for a few years or Brady getting back the Superbowl after Eli Manning steals his perfect season and the superbowl from under his nose. These champions like to rise back from being one upped momentarily!

No. He is. You don't act like that to the greatest. Forget about the 200 fly. Phelps has 20 plus Olympic medals. Lecois is not even close.

And Brady's perfect season is full of cheating,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what color medal did leclois get after acting up this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does that matter?

Be gracious in defeat, and even more gracious in victory.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why does that matter?

Be gracious in defeat, and even more gracious in victory.

Don't be an a$$ before the meet if you can't back it up. Shouldn't be an a$$ either way, but definitely not if you can't back it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what does le clos have to do with how phelps conducts himself?

Besides, most of the stuff I was looking at had nothing to do with chad, and came across as him wanting the crowd to adore him. There are ways to do call out chad without looking like a dick.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But what does le clos have to do with how phelps conducts himself?

I agree.

I do have a few things to say to defend Phelps, but not his behavior. It struck me that Phelps was so in the moment trying to win that race that he really had no idea what he was going to do when he won. Literally, I bet the dude never thought of it. What I saw was just his anger at the Le Clos situation still manifesting itself and Phelps just let it out as he felt he finally could -- now that he had won. He was really using Le Clos as his sole motivation for that 200 fly, and it had such a dark side to it that it just came out.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I don't think it was planned either, much like I don't think le clos' antics were planned. But while le clos comes across as a bit of a lost puppy, phelps just looked mean.

Like I said at the start, maybe that's just me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No. He is. You don't act like that to the greatest. Forget about the 200 fly. Phelps has 20 plus Olympic medals. Lecois is not even close.

And Brady's perfect season is full of cheating,

Hang on here. Phelps may have a gazillion medals, but LeClos was he defending 200m fly Olympic champion and more recently the 200m fly short course world record holder and the 100m fly short course world record holder. Sure Phelps holds both 100m and 200m long course world records but back from 2009. I don't think you realize that at the most recent FINA world's Le Clos was 100m fly world champion and 200m fly silver medalist (Ceh won that, and finished 7th yesterday).

I don't mind the games between competitors whether you back it up or not....sprinters in track, boxers, Macca vs Stadler....its part of sport and championship egos. It's all good stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I agree, I don't think it was planned either, much like I don't think le clos' antics were planned. But while le clos comes across as a bit of a lost puppy, phelps just looked mean.

Like I said at the start, maybe that's just me.

I know some people who are not really sports fans and just tuned into the Olympics found Phelps' gesture was not required given his stature. But those would be rest of the world people. Phelps is reaching out to the US audience for whom this is just fine. It's no different than the silly chest thumping by our Canadian hockey players. I say you cut him some slack...imagine the pressure and the stress relief putting together the win. These guys are all human
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be you. I'm all in on the Phelps fan wagon. It's a privilege to witness such great athleticism.

Quote Reply

Prev Next