Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Watching the semis last night it seemed like Phelps made his statement dominating the first 150 meters and then packed it in a bit the last 50.
Le Clos looked like he was just doing enough to advance having raced a hard final earlier in the night.

I think Le Clos' theatrics last night were aimed at trying to get Phelps to swim harder than he planned. If so, it actually worked for 150m until Phelps shut it down a bit. Phelps did put in his best time of the year which he did not have to do last night. Or, maybe Le Clos is just crazy. But, marginal gains by getting your competition just a bit more tired than they wanted to be after the prelims is not a bad plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I think Le Clos' theatrics last night were aimed...

I really really doubt that there was any planning involved in any of his antics.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Quote:
Watching the semis last night it seemed like Phelps made his statement dominating the first 150 meters and then packed it in a bit the last 50.
Le Clos looked like he was just doing enough to advance having raced a hard final earlier in the night.

I think Le Clos' theatrics last night were aimed at trying to get Phelps to swim harder than he planned. If so, it actually worked for 150m until Phelps shut it down a bit. Phelps did put in his best time of the year which he did not have to do last night. Or, maybe Le Clos is just crazy. But, marginal gains by getting your competition just a bit more tired than they wanted to be after the prelims is not a bad plan.

...and meanwhile we also have Kenderesi who put in a faster time than Phelps' fastest time of the year. How much faster can that kid go tonite? Could we see a Hungarian + Japanese sweep? Is that even in the realm of possibility?
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, Le clos doesn't strike me as a 'planner'

I missed what he did though???

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He shadow boxed right in front of Phelp's face.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
No, Le clos doesn't strike me as a 'planner'

I missed what he did though???

We'd have to bring Mohammad Ali back into this life to give LeClos some proper training on how this is done. Heck Ali could get under the skin of Presidents with his verbal jabs, forget about other boxers. And then you have Bolt who can take it to another level completely and not even piss anyone off....just make them panic that his hamstring is ready to roll:

Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He shadow boxed right in front of Phelp's face. //

And how about that face. Do you all think that those dog like snarls were on purpose, or were then like a dog and just a non thought out reaction? It was kind of creepy looking at his mouth and lips, thought he could leap out and rip his throat out at any second..
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That actually sounds funny! I haven't seen it though, maybe it wasn't, but it sounds like it was. I would've laughed. But that's just me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemrQOzMVWo

JasoninHalifax wrote:
That actually sounds funny! I haven't seen it though, maybe it wasn't, but it sounds like it was. I would've laughed. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the interaction between the two before the race more entertaining than the semi-final. Between that and Lilly Kings comments on dopers the out of the pool action has been interesting.

I couldn't believe how many time Le Clos looked over during the middle of the race. I'd like to see him beat Phelps in the finals, but my guess would be they'll end up fighting for silver.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The betting sites have this order:

Phelps
Czeh
Kenderesi
Le Clos
Seto

Seto is a much longer shot than Le Clos. Really it's between those top 4.
I would love to see Kenderesi, Czeh, or Seto win. If it's between Le Clos and Phelps I'm pulling for Phelps.

I agree that Phelp's 200 fly hasn't looked anywhere near his fly from last year in San Antonio.
Phelps might have too much muscle for a 200 fly now. (Just a theory or thought)
Hard to count him out. He's so damn tough, he might win it anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
The betting sites have this order:

Phelps
Czeh
Kenderesi
Le Clos
Seto

Seto is a much longer shot than Le Clos. Really it's between those top 4.
I would love to see Kenderesi, Czeh, or Seto win. If it's between Le Clos and Phelps I'm pulling for Phelps.

I agree that Phelp's 200 fly hasn't looked anywhere near his fly from last year in San Antonio.
Phelps might have too much muscle for a 200 fly now. (Just a theory or thought)
Hard to count him out. He's so damn tough, he might win it anyway.

Game on!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#20...................That was awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climber7 wrote:
Leddy wrote:
He's not packing it in, he's trying not burn too many matches for lack of a better term. He also shut it down in London in prelims at times

i knew what was meant, regardless of the term used. i just disagreed. agree to disagree, and i hope i'm wrong :)

wrong i was. and happy to admit it!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

No matter what anyone may think of him, the guy is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lived up to the hype!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

No matter what anyone may think of him, the guy is amazing.

Yep - and his 2 best events are yet to come, add in another relay. Wow, just wow.

Where are the Olympics in 2020? Wonder if his mom wants to go there?
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tokyo I think? I say he trains for the 10k open water swim. He's got four years to prep for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, Tokyo

Good race. I was really happy to see a couple of relative unknowns earn medals.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
climber7 wrote:
climber7 wrote:
Leddy wrote:
He's not packing it in, he's trying not burn too many matches for lack of a better term. He also shut it down in London in prelims at times

i knew what was meant, regardless of the term used. i just disagreed. agree to disagree, and i hope i'm wrong :)

wrong i was. and happy to admit it!

Great race !
I can see why at his age you could think that. A lot of the top swimmers will shut it down at the end of a prelim heat when they know they're where they need to be.

Now bring on the 4 X 200.....

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep looking at the replay and can't figure out how Kendersi got 3rd. It looked like he touched before Sakai.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Yup, Tokyo

Good race. I was really happy to see a couple of relative unknowns earn medals.

You gotta hand it to Phelps. I guy just knows what he needs to do to win....I came "close" on asking "what is the chance of Hungarian+Japanese podium. Phelps was awesome. I think LeClos's 200m free + fly semis took a lot out of him. He "looked" toast. LeClos hopefully learned the less of not poking the bear!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps vs Le Clos vs the Hungarians vs the Japanese (200 Fly) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just me, or was anyone else turned off by Phelps antics after the race?

I'm tired of the drama at the games. I just wanna see the swimming.

So far, Ledecky, Hosszu and Peaty have had the most dominant performances, and they've looked like they're just happy to win. No ego.

Women's 200 free was the race of the Games though. Lived up to the hype.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

So far, Ledecky, Hosszu and Peaty have had the most dominant performances, and they've looked like they're just happy to win. No ego.

What antics? Enjoying the adulation of the crowd?
I think he should have done this to Le Clos:

The only antic I did not enjoy was his cracking up hysterically and pointing during the National Anthem at the award ceremony.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I wasn't. It's ok to bask in glory from time to time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next